HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF Game 6: Rangers @ Caps. 7:30pm. VC. 5.9.2012 (Return of the Ward Thread)

Old
05-10-2012, 04:32 AM
TRASHCAT

vCash: 500
Damn compared to BB, Hunter is the luckiest SOB of all time.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Question: have we pretty much out played the Rangers this series?

Game 1: Rangers dominant
Game 2: Caps dominant
Game 3: Caps dominant, but Lundquist outstanding; countless chances to win it in OT, ran out of steam by OT 3
Game 4: Caps dominant
Game 5: Caps dominant, but incredibly foolish/unlucky
Game 6: Caps dominant

So really, if not for 1) far more penalties called on the Caps (most of which were their fault, no doubt, but the refs have also been heavily interventionist this series) and 2) Lundquist being razor sharp in a couple of games, we have for the most part outplayed the Rangers, and should have closed out this series a couple of games ago.
If the "bad luck" excuse is applied to Hunter like it has been to excuse the previous coach's playoff failures, you can legitimately make an argument that the Caps would have already won the series.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:36 AM
amin723

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Probably scratch him.
post of the year, imo.

Hunter has undoubtedly added some toughness to this team. It was something Boudreau could not do, since he came in as the buddy-buddy guy and had to regain control of the locker room after he had already given it to the players.

Boudreau should sue HBO for ruining his reputation as a coach. It's almost laughable how far people's opinion of him fell after watching that, combined with the "choking" in the playoffs. Amazing how long a coach's leash gets once he gets a cup. Or in Lindy Ruff's case, have an excuse as to why you lost the Cup....

Last edited by amin723: 05-10-2012 at 06:42 AM.
amin723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:38 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
I don't think we were dominant in game 5 by any stretch Yes, we blew a lead at the very end, but i thought we were lucky to have that lead in first place. I thought NYR dominated us in periods 1 and 2, no question.

Also, we were very fortunate with the sequence of calls and non-calls at the end of game 4. The non-call on the slash against boyle, the subsequent call on similar play against carlson, the non-call on the borderline trip(/dive) of callahan as he tried to clear the zone on PK, and then the blown call on knuble flicking the puck over the glass. We got lucky on those calls, pure and simple.
Yeah, we were about to steal Game 5 before Ward's double-whammy. Rangers controlled most of the play IMO, except at the very end when they had to open up. And overall in the series, Rangers have generated more offensive zone pressure. Which is not surprising, because our top 6 still can't cycle. Caps are staying competitive via "asymmetric warfare" -- pouncing on turnovers/mistakes, sniping off set plays or broken plays, PP, and of course limiting the quality of opponents' chances and trying to limit the quantity.. but even with our insane blocking, Rangers are putting bigger volume of shots on goal. Caps are right in it, but it ain't easy..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
lol, seriously? that was the downfall of one BB? bad luck? c'mon man, you are knowledgable.
Considering the low scoring in the NHL playoffs, luck is always going to play a larger role that it does it most other sports.

The goaltender interference calls against Philly and Montreal were brutal, but the one thing that sticks out to me is how the Caps got absolutely 0 bounces off of all of the blocked shots by the Habs. I don't remember a single instance of the puck taking a lucky bounce like the one on the Seidenberg goal or Staal goal or having a puck bounce off of someone's skates and right to a waiting player like on the Chimera goal last night. If they replay that series 5 times, the Caps likely win all 5 of them.

Injuries also play a large role considering how physical the game is and how many series each team has to play to make it to the Finals. So far the Caps appear to be doing well in that regard as well.

I sure hope the luck holds. IMO, their style of play seems to require its fair share to be successful.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:48 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I'm hoping NYR used up their allotment of luck for the series in that sequence. That shot appears to go off of Hendricks' boot; definitely off of Carlson's back and between him and Hagelin; and past Holtby who is being picked off by Hagelin. And for some reason the refs and the broadcast crew pretty much ignored the that fact. That looks to be interference in every sense of the word.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Carlzner

Around 0:53 Carlson is getting Richards frustrated... i love it

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Ovi in the slot >>>>> at the point

I guess its too much to ask for the superior carlson to get PP time over wideman tho

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
marcel snapshot

Caps definitely turned their game up a notch last night. They need to turn it up one or two more notches Saturday night.

The Rags will be coming very hard. They have had trouble generating quality scoring chances and likely will look to ride the adrenal surge that accompanies the start of a Game 7 at home to create pressure. That aggressiveness may create counter-attack opportunities -- but we need to play our most intense AND our most intelligent game of the year Saturday.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:31 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Total team play last night and many notable plays were made. Off the top of my head.....

Alexander Semin: hard work with no assist to show for it but he made the Chimera goal happen. And Sasha had a great backchecking moment too.

Alexander Ovechkin: that's where he belongs on the PP. And vintage OV from the seat of his pants even though he didn't score. Nice shot block too but turn your skates.

Brouwer: great work on the checking line and great hustle near the end of the game to nullify a potential icing.

Holtby: outstanding

PK'ers: great work by Alzner, Carlson, Hamr, Wides, Johansson, Hendricks and anybody else with PK time and especially during that double minor.

Wideman: played one of his better games I thought along with Schultz.

Green: nice to see the confidence coming back.

Chimera: agreed on the third star. Scored a goal and drew a penalty with that speed.

Ward: good for him and great to see the support from his teammates and fans.

Carlson: great game by him. He was physical and created offensive opportunities.

Hendricks: he's been great.

I'm sure I'm overlooking some other great efforts and plays so kudos to the entire team.

Anything can happen in game 7 but during the pregame hype I took special note of how the NYR's were eager to seal the deal last night. Kinda like "we gotta do this tonight because we're scared as crap to play # 7 at home again with the pressure".

Old
05-10-2012, 09:40 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Caps definitely turned their game up a notch last night. They need to turn it up one or two more notches Saturday night.

The Rags will be coming very hard. They have had trouble generating quality scoring chances and likely will look to ride the adrenal surge that accompanies the start of a Game 7 at home to create pressure. That aggressiveness may create counter-attack opportunities -- but we need to play our most intense AND our most intelligent game of the year Saturday.
As an islanders fan, would you like to know how much I hate the rag$? Enough to put aside "the hit" and root for Dale Hunter and his squad like they are my very own.

I've had to watch the Rag$ my whole life, the one constant is that when you play at MSG you HAVE to survive the first 10 minutes....if its 0-0 or better after 10 mintes of play, the Caps will win....if not, well the caps are winless after giving up the first goal.

Ill be watching and root hard for my new favorite coach...well he'll be my favorite until 11pm or so on
Saturday anyway.

But until then.......Go Caps!!!!

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
If the "bad luck" excuse is applied to Hunter like it has been to excuse the previous coach's playoff failures, you can legitimately make an argument that the Caps would have already won the series.
you could. the caveat would be that dale's game planning makes the team unusually vulnerable to the bad bounce.

the rangers goal last night was at least the 3rd rangers goal that either deflected in off a caps player trying to block it or deflect as so to create a layup goal for another rangers player. think back to the caps v montreal shot blockfest and that didnt happen ONCE for the caps. a series were just one goal would very likely have turned the series.

last night the caps had that insurance goal for the first time in the playoffs or else that cheezy back shot of carlson's wallet ties the game in the last seconds AGAIN!!!!

i dont care as long as they win and they are winning. but hunter's style of preferring the one goal lead tempts the fates. its playing with fire.

hopefully in the end the bad breaks arent their undoing

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You can thank the Anti-Boudreau trolls for that.
doesnt it take two sides to argue?

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:03 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:05 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Considering the low scoring in the NHL playoffs, luck is always going to play a larger role that it does it most other sports.

The goaltender interference calls against Philly and Montreal were brutal, but the one thing that sticks out to me is how the Caps got absolutely 0 bounces off of all of the blocked shots by the Habs. I don't remember a single instance of the puck taking a lucky bounce like the one on the Seidenberg goal or Staal goal or having a puck bounce off of someone's skates and right to a waiting player like on the Chimera goal last night. If they replay that series 5 times, the Caps likely win all 5 of them.

Injuries also play a large role considering how physical the game is and how many series each team has to play to make it to the Finals. So far the Caps appear to be doing well in that regard as well.

I sure hope the luck holds. IMO, their style of play seems to require its fair share to be successful.
When you give up enough of those shots, one ping ponging through is not really luck, it's a statistical likelihood. What happened to us in '10 NOT getting any of those was bad luck.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
If you believe he's a terrible coach sure...but most of you don't seem to.

I don't believe he's a terrible coach, I just think he's a terrible fit with some fatal flaws.

Further, this team was supposed to be better than any of the team's BB got to coach in the playoffs. Who knows what he would have done with a team with more playoff experience and added grit.

Edit: and a hot goalie..
oh please......while im not BB hater I dont see why you are soooo latched on to this lame stance

and for the record, are you suggesting BB didnt have hot play between the pipes when his teams advanced?

its rare that any team wins 1 round without great goaltending......i'd really like to know why you seem to think BB won without it

Old
05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
oh please......while im not BB hater I dont see why you are soooo latched on to this lame stance

and for the record, are you suggesting BB didnt have hot play between the pipes when his teams advanced?

its rare that any team wins 1 round without great goaltending......i'd really like to know why you seem to think BB won without it
To be fair, he never had hot goaltending on round 2, only ok goaltending. Dale appears to have it this year.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
To be fair, he never had hot goaltending on round 2, only ok goaltending. Dale appears to have it this year.
nonsense......Varlamov, save for game 7, was the difference against Pit in round 2

Old
05-10-2012, 10:30 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

MAJO's for the most part has been a disappointment this series. He's way too easy to knock off the puck, weak along the boards and in the corners and has no finish. He's closely resembling Flash from a few years ago. If Hunter comes back next season, I think MAJO could be one of those assets to consider dealing for a 2C.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

We will win 7th game 5-1

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
troyerlaw
Life is not party

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
dale's game planning makes the team unusually vulnerable to the bad bounce.

the rangers goal last night was at least the 3rd rangers goal that either deflected in off a caps player trying to block it or deflect as so to create a layup goal for another rangers player. think back to the caps v montreal shot blockfest and that didnt happen ONCE for the caps. a series were just one goal would very likely have turned the series.

last night the caps had that insurance goal for the first time in the playoffs or else that cheezy back shot of carlson's wallet ties the game in the last seconds AGAIN!!!!

i dont care as long as they win and they are winning. but hunter's style of preferring the one goal lead tempts the fates.
i don't totally agree. i don't think we are going into the same severe turtle mode which we used in regular season, and i also think we've been quality chances these last two games to add to the lead and make it a 2- or 3-goal cushion. we just have not been burying those chances. that's what worries me. we need to finish an odd-man rush. Nicky needs to pot one of these breakaways. we are getting the chances to make it a smoother ride, just not finishing.

anyway, i still see DH as vast improvement. at least we're in the game, even if it's always razor-close.

i'd giving anything for the first goal on Saturday.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Did everyone whining about our dmen's role in the offensive scheme see Green and Carlson below the goal line multiple times last night? And not just for a second, they were making passes and drifting in and out of seams throughout the game in the offensive zone.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Tired and hungover is no way to go through life.

Unless the Caps won the night before. Car wouldn't start this morning, and of course the boss is wondering if its a true story explaining being late looking like crap.

I thought we played a great game. It appears we are figuring out how to stretch their D, adjusting, and ramping up the pressure more and more. Be it only Chimera flying up the wing, or more that I haven't figured out yet, you can see us pressuring more offensively over the past few games. Indeed BCF, including the dmen joining in.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I agree about d-men joining the rush or finding the soft spot. It's kinda like they took the first couple of games to see where those opportunities might be. Now they've pinpointed them and are taking advantage. And not only that but you can see the Hunter adjustment of having D pass at the blueline and take advantage of that open ice. I hope they continue to execute well and make good decisions.