HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Brian Elliott

Old
05-08-2012, 09:21 AM
wjhl2009fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Elliott is a back-up, he wasn't signed by the Blues for $1.8M to carry the load.

If long term injuries happen to Halak, it could be a problem, but not many teams in the NHL have a back-up that isn't a downgrade from the #1.
You still want a back up who could carry the load if your number one gets hurt.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
You still want a back up who could carry the load if your number one gets hurt.
...and Elliott did just that for the Blues all season.

You are fooling yourself if you think most team's backup's can carry the load full time, over a long period of time.

If this was the case, there wouldn't be an NHL team without a top flight goaltender.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:18 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
...and Elliott did just that for the Blues all season.

You are fooling yourself if you think most team's backup's can carry the load full time, over a long period of time.

If this was the case, there wouldn't be an NHL team without a top flight goaltender.
Were not talking full time this was a few games and he did not play well now i am not saying he is not good he just seems to have issues when he is the number one even short term.

Last edited by wjhl2009fan: 05-08-2012 at 10:51 AM.
wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

The Sens better find a number one goalie fast before next season begins...

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
You rarely see backups in the playoffs. Elliott is certainly capable of stealing a regular season game. I think that was more the point PeterSidorkiewicz was making.
It twas, it twas.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Andy is the #1, Bishop is backup, and Lehner is in the wings. Unless there's an injury I'd say Sens are stacked.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

No.

He simply benefits from Hitchcocks system. You put him on any other team and he'd look AHL-calibre. He's had a great success this season and this'll be his only superstar season imo.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:57 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
No.

He simply benefits from Hitchcocks system. You put him on any other team and he'd look AHL-calibre. He's had a great success this season and this'll be his only superstar season imo.
Hitchcocks system of what? Having a good defense and aggressive forecheck?

Old
05-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Hitchcocks system of what? Having a good defense and aggressive forecheck?
Which is exactly what we don't have.

Simply put, Elliott is crap. We have x amount of years in the Sens organisation to prove that to you.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:00 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
not that many actually...

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Stylizer1

vCash: 50
Nobody wants Elliot back. He sucks.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:56 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Which is exactly what we don't have.

Simply put, Elliott is crap. We have x amount of years in the Sens organisation to prove that to you.
You mean Elliott being a huge contributor of making the playoffs the year under Clouston? He is what he is, a backup/1b, but he isn't "crap" as you so put it.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

I have a hard time calling any NHL player crap since they are about 10,000,000,000 times better than me.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Ed Wood

I'd gladly take Elliott back and I'd expect him to be our starter. It's not like the guy only got backup minutes this year. He played 38 games with the best goals against average since before World War 2. He also had the best save pct. since the stat was invented. For those who say it's all Ken Hitchcock's system I need to know why no other Hitchcock goalie has ever put up those kind of numbers. It's sickening the way Sens fans keep crapping on this guy.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:13 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I'd gladly take Elliott back and I'd expect him to be our starter. It's not like the guy only got backup minutes this year. He played 38 games with the best goals against average since before World War 2. He also had the best save pct. since the stat was invented. For those who say it's all Ken Hitchcock's system I need to know why no other Hitchcock goalie has ever put up those kind of numbers. It's sickening the way Sens fans keep crapping on this guy.
If you really can't see the correlation between the career numbers Halak, Turco, Elliott, Mason and Leclaire have all put under Hitchcock's system and you honestly believe that Elliott is a better goalie than Anderson, then there really is no explanation anyone can provide to you.

I'm not crapping on him, I'm just pointing out that he's nothing more than a back-up. A back-up who put up impressive numbers in a Hitchcock system.

I can't seriously believe anyone would take Elliott over Anderson would they? I mean, look at how each performs in the playoffs and that makes any argument pointless.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
SpezDispenser

Why would we want Elliott when we have Anderson and Bishop, with Lehner waiting in the wings?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Ed Wood

[QUOTE=ChocolateLeclaire;49534653]If you really can't see the correlation between the career numbers Halak, Turco, Elliott, Mason and Leclaire have all put under Hitchcock's system and you honestly believe that Elliott is a better goalie than Anderson, then there really is no explanation anyone can provide to you.

I'm not crapping on him, I'm just pointing out that he's nothing more than a back-up. A back-up who put up impressive numbers in a Hitchcock system.

I can't seriously believe anyone would take Elliott over Anderson would they? I mean, look at how each performs in the playoffs and that makes any argument pointless.[/QUOTE]

Craig Anderson has never won a playoff series in his life in the NHL or in the minors while Brian Elliott won a series just this year so I don't understand your point.

Turco and Halak are great goalies but neither has come close to the numbers Elliott posted this year so, once again, your point is lost on me.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:30 AM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
Quote:
Craig Anderson has never won a playoff series in his life in the NHL or in the minors while Brian Elliott won a series just this year so I don't understand your point.

Turco and Halak are great goalies but neither has come close to the numbers Elliott posted this year so, once again, your point is lost on me.
Dan Ellis has also won two playoff series in his life, but I'd take Anderson over him, gladly. That's a ridiculous piece of evidence to put forth.

05-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
You mean Elliott being a huge contributor of making the playoffs the year under Clouston? He is what he is, a backup/1b, but he isn't "crap" as you so put it.
The same Elliott with 29 wins, a .909% and 2.57GAA...

Yeah, not really a highlight is it.. Jose Theodore had a better season with 7 less games

Chris Mason, of the Blues at the time, also had a better season.

as did 15 other goalies... Therefore showing that's he a middle of the group (of 30) goalie... Nothing special, but not exactly gash.

Simply put, he's not a capable starter... You bring him back here, and he'd get lit up.

I don't care if I sound hypocritical, cos he is better than me no doubt, but for an NHL standard player... He's nothing special. He's not exactly a game winner.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Dan Ellis has also won two playoff series in his life, but I'd take Anderson over him, gladly. That's a ridiculous piece of evidence to put forth.
The truth is that Craig Anderson is a 31 year old journeyman goalie with a limited record of success. He's coming off a decent season and may be able to duplicate it but with a journeyman goalie you just never know. He's ridiculously over-valued by Sens fans. At four years younger I'd gladly take the chance that Elliott has the superior career.

Last edited by Ed Wood: 05-10-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old
05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
The truth is that Craig Anderson is a 31 year old journeyman goalie with a limited record of success. He's coming off a decent season and may be able to duplicate it but with a journeyman goalie you just never know. He's ridiculously over-valued by Sens fans. At four years younger I'd gladly take the chance that Elliott has the superior career.
you are not considered a senators fan.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

[QUOTE=Ed Wood;49537175]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
If you really can't see the correlation between the career numbers Halak, Turco, Elliott, Mason and Leclaire have all put under Hitchcock's system and you honestly believe that Elliott is a better goalie than Anderson, then there really is no explanation anyone can provide to you.

I can't seriously believe anyone would take Elliott over Anderson would they? I mean, look at how each performs in the playoffs and that makes any argument pointless.[/QUOTE]

Brian Elliott did not win that Sharks series, the St. Louis Blues did. Brian Elliott however, did lose them the very next series by melting down in Game 3.

In NO world would any GM take Brian Elliott over Craig Anderson strictly based on how each performs under pressure. The book is written on Brian. He may salvage a long career in the NHL as a back-up like a Ty Conklin but he will NEVER be a legitimate starter again. He has proven that.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:57 AM
kammy1221

Quote:
I guess while Anderson does fit the mold of "Journeyman", he would also fit in the mold of %75 of goalies who don't hit there prime until there early 30s.

kammy1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Ed Wood

[QUOTE=ChocolateLeclaire;49538179]
Quote:

Brian Elliott did not win that Sharks series, the St. Louis Blues did. Brian Elliott however, did lose them the very next series by melting down in Game 3.

In NO world would any GM take Brian Elliott over Craig Anderson strictly based on how each performs under pressure. The book is written on Brian. He may salvage a long career in the NHL as a back-up like a Ty Conklin but he will NEVER be a legitimate starter again. He has proven that.
Craig Anderson won 8 playoff games in the minor leagues. He lost 22. At the NHL level he has won 5 and lost eight. And this makes him a great pressure goalie how?

Old
05-10-2012, 11:10 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

[QUOTE=Ed Wood;49538643]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post

Craig Anderson won 8 playoff games in the minor leagues. He lost 22. At the NHL level he has won 5 and lost eight. And this makes him a great pressure goalie how?
Of those 13 games he has played in the NHL, he has played on the EIGHTH seed both times. His numbers, ON THE EIGHTH seed has him with a SV% of .933 and a GAA of 2.29.

Your "vastly superior" Brian Elliott, on the other hand, being the goalie on teams that were the 5th seed and 2nd seed respectively, has put up laughably bad numbers, with a SV% of .887 and 2.92

Yeah! Let's bring back Big Game Brian Elliott! He's not flaky at all in the playoffs!

The fact that you're looking at Andy's minor league performance to justify your point shows how much you're reaching to try and prove something everyone knows you're wrong on.