HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

The Reading Royals lost $500,000 this year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
  #1
Bored5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
The Reading Royals lost $500,000 this year

Article from today's Reading (Pa.) Eagle. I know the Convention Center Authority bought 50 percent of the team last year, but it is pretty concerning that the board's treasurer is quoted as saying that the Convention Center Authority cannot sustain another year of losses like what they have had the past several years.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=380871

SMG's regional general manager of the Royals attributed the loss to low ticket sales and said the club hopes to sell an additional $300,000 in tickets next year. Meh, I don't see how that is going to happen. Interest in the team seems to keep going down every year, not increasing. Attendance has dropped each of the last four years.

2007-08: 5,430
2008-09: 5,005
2009-10: 4,943
2010-11: 4,568
2011-12: 4,365

Anyway, lots of interesting comments from the public in addition to the article.

Bored5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:18 PM
  #2
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,547
vCash: 1
hmm.... makes me wonder how much the Express lost....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:10 PM
  #3
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Article from today's Reading (Pa.) Eagle. I know the Convention Center Authority bought 50 percent of the team last year, but it is pretty concerning that the board's treasurer is quoted as saying that the Convention Center Authority cannot sustain another year of losses like what they have had the past several years.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=380871

SMG's regional general manager of the Royals attributed the loss to low ticket sales and said the club hopes to sell an additional $300,000 in tickets next year. Meh, I don't see how that is going to happen. Interest in the team seems to keep going down every year, not increasing. Attendance has dropped each of the last four years.

2007-08: 5,430
2008-09: 5,005
2009-10: 4,943
2010-11: 4,568
2011-12: 4,365

Anyway, lots of interesting comments from the public in addition to the article.
Saw an article from middle of the season about they were losing money. I know last season they lost about $300,000

Hearing from several Royals fans that quite a few people aren't going to be renewing especially if LC is back as coach.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:34 PM
  #4
Andre Poodle Lussier
Registered User
 
Andre Poodle Lussier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Semi seclusion
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Saw an article from middle of the season about they were losing money. I know last season they lost about $300,000

Hearing from several Royals fans that quite a few people aren't going to be renewing especially if LC is back as coach.
Am not surprised about the 500k loss. I had heard 400+ from someone in the Royals org who I know...said it's not looking good for 2012-13 either based on early re-ups.

Lots of pressure from fans to unload Larry and go after Martinson but the GM isn't making the move -- says Larry is his guy.


Last edited by Andre Poodle Lussier: 04-20-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Andre Poodle Lussier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:01 PM
  #5
Bored5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
The Larry Courville number retirement ceremony the Royals has last year just seemed like kind of a weird deal to retire the number of the current head coach in that every coach gets fired/moves on, usually sooner rather than later. Retiring Courville's number while he is still the head coach just seems to make for an awkward situation if the team does eventually decide to fire him.

Above all else, the Reading area is overwhelmingly a Flyers fanbase. I can't see how having the Flyers AHL team coming in 45 minutes away in Lehigh Valley will be any kind of positive for the Royals once that happens.

Bored5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 02:47 AM
  #6
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Am I overthinking it by taking the statement of we can't take another year of this that if they lose money again next season thats it for the Royals...atleast under city ownership? They would have to find a local buyer or an outsider and hope that outsider would keep the team around? Word on the street last summer was a group from Baltimore was trying to buy them for the new Baltimore arena that is being built. But this group stepped up and bought half the team. I think with the economy in Reading being so bad(i've often heard the poorest city in the US as far as it's size is concerned) and the Phantoms coming to Lehigh in a year that they were in trouble long term going forward.

AS for Courville why was his number retired? He wasnt that good of a player. As far as head coach goes, he's made the Playoffs all 3 years. I think many forget that cities like Elmira and Reading are generally going to struggle due to the proximity to AHL teams. They will always field talent but the fans are always going to see musical chairs that affects the outcome of the outcome of the potential product. Even the great Martinson struggled here. He went 3 for 3 but hes fielded way better teams.

As for Stick Check Steve Martinson you can put that pipe dream to rest anyway. Had a conversation with him at a team event his last year here. He still had his house in Rockford, he wanted to sell it but his wife wouldn't let him. Anyway he wanted to get back closer to home(He's from Minnesota). At the time with this being February 2010 and the Checkers going to the AHL the next season having been announced there was some chatter of the Charlotte franchise ending up in San Diego where he was a successful coach. He said that if he were to coach away from home again the was far away San Diego would be it. Of course this was the final year of his contract, it wasnt renewed but at the same time it was announced Chicago was getting a team. So i'm not sure he would have come back anyway.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 05:35 AM
  #7
Andre Poodle Lussier
Registered User
 
Andre Poodle Lussier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Semi seclusion
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Am I overthinking it by taking the statement of we can't take another year of this that if they lose money again next season thats it for the Royals...atleast under city ownership? They would have to find a local buyer or an outsider and hope that outsider would keep the team around? Word on the street last summer was a group from Baltimore was trying to buy them for the new Baltimore arena that is being built. But this group stepped up and bought half the team. I think with the economy in Reading being so bad(i've often heard the poorest city in the US as far as it's size is concerned) and the Phantoms coming to Lehigh in a year that they were in trouble long term going forward.
Reading's economy is bad...the county's is not. If the team wins, people will come downtown for the game but they will literally drive in, park, watch game, go to car, get the hell out. The arena was built on the opposite end of downtown to the "nicer" side of it where the better bars/dining options exist so you don't get much of a "hang out" option going for anyone when people come down.

The city hasn't done itself much good in handling the team -- charging AHL level parking (it was $8 the year before last) for the ramps...this year it was $5 for the ramps farther away, which is still a bit high but not as awful as the $8 season.

The Royals would be wise to take a page from their baseball brethren and market the hell out of Chester and Montgomery Counties...sell the team as a cheap alternative to going to Philly...get a radio affiliate in Pottstown or advertise on cable more frequently in the western Philly burbs to promote the team.

I don't think next year will be terrible from attendance...it will drop but not a large percentage...but I do think the season when Allentown moves in they will take a bath.

Quote:
AS for Courville why was his number retired? He wasnt that good of a player. As far as head coach goes, he's made the Playoffs all 3 years. I think many forget that cities like Elmira and Reading are generally going to struggle due to the proximity to AHL teams. They will always field talent but the fans are always going to see musical chairs that affects the outcome of the outcome of the potential product. Even the great Martinson struggled here. He went 3 for 3 but hes fielded way better teams.
Reading had very few callups this year compared to other years...and the callups were generally "in system" to either Toronto or Providence...it wasn't like past years when Hershey, Philly, Bingo, or someone else would leech up a guy or two for a while...partly due to talent of course.

As for Courville, your guess is as good as mine about his #. He was an ok player but nothing special. Even though he made the playoffs all three seasons, it's been largely on the back of goaltending but with a toepick style of hockey which made Karl Taylor's teams seem like the Charlestown Chiefs...and Reading fans didn't think very highly of Taylor because it was toepick-lite.

Quote:
As for Stick Check Steve Martinson you can put that pipe dream to rest anyway. Had a conversation with him at a team event his last year here. He still had his house in Rockford, he wanted to sell it but his wife wouldn't let him. Anyway he wanted to get back closer to home(He's from Minnesota). At the time with this being February 2010 and the Checkers going to the AHL the next season having been announced there was some chatter of the Charlotte franchise ending up in San Diego where he was a successful coach. He said that if he were to coach away from home again the was far away San Diego would be it. Of course this was the final year of his contract, it wasnt renewed but at the same time it was announced Chicago was getting a team. So i'm not sure he would have come back anyway.
Fans of ol' time hockey can dream.

Andre Poodle Lussier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:20 AM
  #8
Bored5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Am I overthinking it by taking the statement of we can't take another year of this that if they lose money again next season thats it for the Royals...atleast under city ownership? They would have to find a local buyer or an outsider and hope that outsider would keep the team around? Word on the street last summer was a group from Baltimore was trying to buy them for the new Baltimore arena that is being built. But this group stepped up and bought half the team. I think with the economy in Reading being so bad(i've often heard the poorest city in the US as far as it's size is concerned) and the Phantoms coming to Lehigh in a year that they were in trouble long term going forward.

AS for Courville why was his number retired? He wasnt that good of a player. As far as head coach goes, he's made the Playoffs all 3 years. I think many forget that cities like Elmira and Reading are generally going to struggle due to the proximity to AHL teams. They will always field talent but the fans are always going to see musical chairs that affects the outcome of the outcome of the potential product. Even the great Martinson struggled here. He went 3 for 3 but hes fielded way better teams.
WRT the Courville number retirement, it almost seemed like the team was just looking to retire the jersey of somebody in order to have a specialty jersey night. Courville is in the top 10 all-time in games played with the franchise, but no other categories.

I sorta feel the same way you do about the quote about not being able to sustain another year of horrible financial losses. Likewise, I think the Phantoms moving in with a Flyers AHL affiliate 45 minutes away in 2013 could really mean bad things for the Royals.

Just on a personal level, it just seems like the allure of the Royals in general and the ECHL as a whole has worn off for me in recent years. That seems to be a common theme as well for people throughout the area. I just don't see any real way that the Royals can turn around hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses to become even a break-even team when attendance/interest in the team seems to be waning with each passing season.

Andre's point about the parking fee is spot on. I have talked to several fans at games that were really turned off by the parking prices, especially when many of the those fans were used to the free parking that the baseball team in town (the Reading Phillies) offers.


Last edited by Bored5000: 04-22-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Bored5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 03:20 PM
  #9
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
WRT the Courville number retirement, it almost seemed like the team was just looking to retire the jersey of somebody in order to have a specialty jersey night. Courville is in the top 10 all-time in games played with the franchise, but no other categories.

I sorta feel the same way you do about the quote about not being able to sustain another year of horrible financial losses. Likewise, I think the Phantoms moving in with a Flyers AHL affiliate 45 minutes away in 2013 could really mean bad things for the Royals.

Just on a personal level, it just seems like the allure of the Royals in general and the ECHL as a whole has worn off for me in recent years. That seems to be a common theme as well for people throughout the area. I just don't see any real way that the Royals can turn around hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses to become even a break-even team when attendance/interest in the team seems to be waning with each passing season.

Andre's point about the parking fee is spot on. I have talked to several fans at games that were really turned off by the parking prices, especially when many of the those fans were used to the free parking that the baseball team in town (the Reading Phillies) offers.
I can attest to this as well. I liked the ECHL at first...but now it's become apparent that the focus isn't on winning so much. Like the Royals we did though have a rare year of not losing guys to calluip. We only lost radja and Barlow and Radja made it back the last month and a half. Usually we see too many to count. The ever changing roster is daunting. I just feel realistically teams like Elmira and Reading will never win the Cup, their location is their biggest issue. They will always sign a team of top talent....only to lose it.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 04:31 PM
  #10
Andre Poodle Lussier
Registered User
 
Andre Poodle Lussier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Semi seclusion
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I can attest to this as well. I liked the ECHL at first...but now it's become apparent that the focus isn't on winning so much. Like the Royals we did though have a rare year of not losing guys to calluip. We only lost radja and Barlow and Radja made it back the last month and a half. Usually we see too many to count. The ever changing roster is daunting. I just feel realistically teams like Elmira and Reading will never win the Cup, their location is their biggest issue. They will always sign a team of top talent....only to lose it.
I've reached the conclusion that any ECHL team in the Northeast and Great Lakes would simply be better off on their own in a 8 to 10 team circuit that passes off as either an indy hockey league or a minor league with some modified vet rules that allow for more roster consistency from year to year.

Andre Poodle Lussier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 05:10 PM
  #11
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Poodle Lussier View Post
I've reached the conclusion that any ECHL team in the Northeast and Great Lakes would simply be better off on their own in a 8 to 10 team circuit that passes off as either an indy hockey league or a minor league with some modified vet rules that allow for more roster consistency from year to year.
I give you:

The UNITED HOCKEY LEAGUE

This AA league had this. The thing is(and i think many others who have had AA in these places would agree)we wouldn't settle for the crapola the FHL is.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:03 AM
  #12
CanadianSolarBear
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I give you:

The UNITED HOCKEY LEAGUE

This AA league had this. The thing is(and i think many others who have had AA in these places would agree)we wouldn't settle for the crapola the FHL is.
You're absolutely right Green Man .. Danbury hasn't settled for the FHL at all after being in a double A league .. They only sell out the rink and have the best attendance in the league and also they're the ONLY team to have a "AA" team play then go to the FHL .. hmm seems like they settled for the "cropola" the FHL is.

CanadianSolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:09 PM
  #13
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSolarBear View Post
You're absolutely right Green Man .. Danbury hasn't settled for the FHL at all after being in a double A league .. They only sell out the rink and have the best attendance in the league and also they're the ONLY team to have a "AA" team play then go to the FHL .. hmm seems like they settled for the "cropola" the FHL is.
To be fair...Danbury supported the UHL team well but it never should have lasted the 2 years it did. They must have lied about their arena somehow because for a AA venue it's too small in capacity. The owner had a garbage cmpany and would put players on the payrole. It's how they had such a talented roster all the way around. Danbury would be an ECHL team i'm sure if they had a bigger arena.

I was more the less talking about places that have had AA for like 5-10 years at least.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:46 PM
  #14
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
This could be good news for the Royals:

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...n/-/index.html

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:45 PM
  #15
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
This could be good news for the Royals:

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...n/-/index.html
Honestly I don't think this is good or bad news for the Royals. I would agree with you if the Reading Phillies attendance dropped when the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs began their operations, but that had zero impact on the R-Phils attendance.

The only people who would consider this to be good news would be the few Adirondack Phantoms fans.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:55 PM
  #16
goalie41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
hmm.... makes me wonder how much the Express lost....
Approx $1.2M

goalie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:14 PM
  #17
IceFlyersRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie41 View Post
Approx $1.2M
wow thats got to be some sort of record!

IceFlyersRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:59 AM
  #18
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
To be fair...Danbury supported the UHL team well but it never should have lasted the 2 years it did. They must have lied about their arena somehow because for a AA venue it's too small in capacity. The owner had a garbage cmpany and would put players on the payrole. It's how they had such a talented roster all the way around. Danbury would be an ECHL team i'm sure if they had a bigger arena.

I was more the less talking about places that have had AA for like 5-10 years at least.
There was more than just "payroll irregularities" going on with the Trashers ownership. I'd say more but I don't want to end up wearing cement shoes - or wake up with a broken hockey stick in bed next to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3646723

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:16 PM
  #19
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
There was more than just "payroll irregularities" going on with the Trashers ownership. I'd say more but I don't want to end up wearing cement shoes - or wake up with a broken hockey stick in bed next to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3646723
LOL, have an association with someone involving that whole mob squad of a franchise?

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
  #20
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
LOL, have an association with someone involving that whole mob squad of a franchise?
Nope, not at all, but the walls have ears you know!

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.