HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Biggest Game Since 1994?

Old
05-09-2012, 11:53 PM
rangers5000

vCash: 500
i never said there was AS big as the 94 games, but the biggest since

game 7 round 2 saturday night, come on its the biggest from 1995-2012

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Dimz92

The bruins won last year after going 7 in "almost" every round.... -_-
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
No team has ever won the cup after going 7 games in the first two rounds. Not incredibly profound, but that can't be a coincidence.
corrected, 3 rounds of 7 games and they still had energy in the finals down 3-2

Last edited by Dimz92: 05-10-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Dimz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimz92 View Post
The bruins won last year after going 7 in every round.... -_-
Boston only played 25 games.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
i never said there was AS big as the 94 games, but the biggest since

game 7 round 2 saturday night, come on its the biggest from 1995-2012
The Eastern Conference Finals in 1997 were some pretty big games....just because they've faded from your memory doesn't mean they weren't huge at the time.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimz92 View Post
The bruins won last year after going 7 in "almost" every round.... -_- corrected, 3 rounds of 7 games and they still had energy in the finals down 3-2
Yes, but they swept the Flyers.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Who said anything about Colombus? I'm talking about the Rangers and you saying they won't "sniff the cup". Give me three reasons why we won't sniff the cup, three reasons i don't know and don't mention the powerplay and offense because those are obvious. Three things only you see and nobody else.
I like how you ask for 3 reasons and then restrict me on the reasons I can give. Yes the power play and offense are the biggest reasons. We've also been giving up too many good chances, especially on the PK. We can't clear the zoen on the PK, but on the PP can't keep the puck in. We can't get odd man rushes but give one up every 5 minutes. Our defense hasn't been that great in this series.

Edit: And the reason I mentioned Columbus is because you said, why root for a team if you don't think they can win the cup. Why root for Columbus then, they had no chance of even making the playoffs about 20 games into the season.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I like how you ask for 3 reasons and then restrict me on the reasons I can give. Yes the power play and offense are the biggest reasons. We've also been giving up too many good chances, especially on the PK. We can't clear the zoen on the PK, but on the PP can't keep the puck in. We can't get odd man rushes but give one up every 5 minutes. Our defense hasn't been that great in this series.
LOL give me three numbers between one and five, and do not include 1,2, or 3!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:21 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
The Eastern Conference Finals in 1997 were some pretty big games....just because they've faded from your memory doesn't mean they weren't huge at the time.
i think those have faded moreso because we were thumped by a Younger, Stronger, Faster, and more Talented Flyers team. We put up a good fight......but the memory of Lindros vs Messier racing for a loose puck with an EN and Messier doing everything to stop the E-Train from scoring the empty net clincher, that will forever be engrained in my mind. We saw it as a "Passing of the Torch"

this is def the biggest game since 94' imho

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:43 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
No team has ever won the cup after going 7 games in the first two rounds.
completely meaningless, Rangers aiming to be the first team. Heck, no team has ever gone 16-12 in the SCP either, Rangers seem to want to do that too

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Pittsburgh needed 7 games to beat the Caps in 1992 and then 6 games to beat the Rangers. They went 8-0 the rest of the way sweeping Boston and Chicago. They were down 3-1 to the Caps but came back to win games 5 and 7 on the road. Then the Rangers had them down 2-1 and they had a 4-2 lead in game 4. Pitt won that game to even the series. Pittsburgh never lost a game again. The following year they lost to the Islanders. You can't predict or attempt to figure this stuff out. The Rangers could win on Saturday and roll the rest of the way or they could lose on Saturday and break up day is Monday. I was talking to my cousin who likes the Devils. She was telling about the Devils getting 5-6 days off will hurt them just like getting 7 days off hurt Philly.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll be very happy with this team/season if we get to ECF, even if we lose that round to the devils. (even though I think we CAN beat the devils in a 7 game series)

If we some how, by some miracle find a scoring touch, we could win it all, but that is unlikely, but not impossible.

Been a pretty good and unexpected ride this year, but they looked burnt last night against the caps. As if they had already used their miracle by winning that game the other night at home.

I'd really like to get to ECF and win a couple of games. Season would be a huge success IMO, if that happens.

05-10-2012, 10:49 AM
EEDAWGZ

Never underestimate your opponents, you will lose every time

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
exact OPPOSITE, if they win Game 7 here the Cup is almost theirs for sure. Toughest road by far of any team and if the Rangers survive this the Devils and Yotes/Kings will be a cakewalk in comparison
The Kings will be no cakewalk. You're probably just not staying up late enough to watch them; don't let the 8th seed thing fool you.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Garfinkel1

Kings win the cup if it's not us. I've been saying that since they got Richards/New Coach.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:04 PM
rangers5000

97 was different
we were only 3 years from the cup, and felt like we were overmatched by the younger flyers, then they got swept in the finals

if rangers win this game they have a better chance than 97 to make the finals, i don't buy the whole "no team has won after back to back game 7s"

the flyers were down 3-0 to bruins, that stat looked bad to didnt it, everybody was saying the flyers were finished, these stats are useless

devils might be the ones in trouble, having 4-7 days can be a bad thing, the flyers having those days off after the pens series probably hurt them, they were out of the loop

Old
05-10-2012, 12:06 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
The Rangers have responded big and big situations.

They have ALWAYS shown up when the game called for it and I expect that they will play a hell of a game on Saturday.

Hope they can get the first goal and change the way the Caps play from an early portion of the game.

The key is the first goal. Get that and the Caps will press which will lead to mistakes by their D.

Mark it down, the 1st team to score on Saturday wins that game.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:13 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
i think those have faded moreso because we were thumped by a Younger, Stronger, Faster, and more Talented Flyers team. We put up a good fight......but the memory of Lindros vs Messier racing for a loose puck with an EN and Messier doing everything to stop the E-Train from scoring the empty net clincher, that will forever be engrained in my mind. We saw it as a "Passing of the Torch"

I hear that quite often, but the real truth is that both players IN THEIR PRIMES the result would have been the same. Lindros would have bull rushed Messier in that situation.

Plus Messier was hurt, he was dealing with a pulled rib-cage muscle which pretty much eliminates a hockey players ability to play good hockey.

Take away a players core muscles, that player is useless.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post

Don't forget the GWG backhander that Lindros scored with 6 sec. remaining in Game 4 after Beukeboom got a double-minor for high sticking John LeClair. That back & forth affair was the last playoff game at Madison Square Garden for eight long years.

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:42 PM
ck20

Quote:
Because if you don't watch then you're a fair weather fan. So Columbus fans should have stopped watching when they realized their team sucked?
So the only reason you watch is so you don't get called a fairweather fan? Phew, I thought you were actually apart of this fanbase for a little while there..

At this point, any team has as good of a chance as any other. Hell, from round 1 any team had as good of a chance as any other. Almost all the Cup favorites were knocked out by teams that were thought to be swept or out in 5.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 800
Lol @ the irony if Washington randomly knocks out Boston and the Rangers. They sucked all year.

Bruinswillwin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
Lol @ the irony if Washington randomly knocks out Boston and the Rangers. They sucked all year.
All that matters is whether or not you suck in the playoffs, and the Rangers are sucking more than Wash.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:02 PM
rangers5000

first period is huge, rangers come out hard and get that first goal they should win the game

after caps got that 2-0 lead the game felt like it was over, the way both teams play blocking shots, goalies, getting any lead is crucial

rangers get it, it forces caps to open up and make mistakes, we get a 2 goal lead its almost a sure thing we win

but same goes other way

Old
05-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Rangers2319

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The Rangers have responded big and big situations.

They have ALWAYS shown up when the game called for it and I expect that they will play a hell of a game on Saturday.

Hope they can get the first goal and change the way the Caps play from an early portion of the game.

The key is the first goal. Get that and the Caps will press which will lead to mistakes by their D.

Mark it down, the 1st team to score on Saturday wins that game.
I would think so considering the team to score first is 6-0 in the series

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
All that matters is whether or not you suck in the playoffs, and the Rangers are sucking more than Wash.
3 games to 3 says washington is sucking equally

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
JeremyNYR

I'm trying not to get too high with the highs or too low with the lows. The Rangers have an opportunity to win one game and be in the Conference Finals. At the beginning of the season, this situation is a deal they would gladly take.

History is just that, history. Difficult scenareos only make victories and championships that much sweeter and more memorable. Without being down 3-2 to NJ in 1994, there would've been no "WE WILL WIN!". Look at the improbable run the NY Giants made for 2 Super Bowls... all you can ask for is the opportunity and the Rangers still have that.

JeremyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote