HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Capitals

Old
05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Skrimpy

vCash: 500
Look. We have to admit three things.
1. They dont score a lot.
2. Holtby is good, but young.
3. Hank is a monster when the pressure is on.

This leads to one conclusion. Saturdays game sets squarely on Holtby's shoulders. Can he hold up to the pressure of a game 7? We've seen he can but can he in game 7 at the Garden? Anderson couldn't

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Mother****. Is it impossible to build on big wins for this team?

Hockey is truly different here.
Caps keep proving there is no momentum in this series...each game is like a one game series...which bodes well for us

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Please stop with the belly aching:

1.) Second line should be Kreider-Steps- Cally
2.) Defend your home ice and we win
3.) The Garden will absolutely be rockin' saturday
4.) I would be amazed if we don't win!

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
hey guys i'm here in peace as a fellow hockey fanatic. I just cannot believe the arrogance of Tortarella. he makes it so hard to appreciate or respect whats they've done this year. He really oughta be fired if they lose, because he's a black eye for the organization at this moment and the veterans don't trust him anymore, he's not being smart playing with 6 guys. He did the same thing in Tampa. Good luck rest of the way.
He won a cup in Tampa.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

PP really needs a new look. It's brutal. It's what cost us the game last night.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
We should just forfeit Game 7, and not even have a Conference or Stanley Cup Final according to this thread from the main:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1187309

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:40 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
AGAIN, like i said HE makes it hard to appreciate what they've done......by behaving the way he does with the media. Obviously he did something right, they were very successful. But again this is the same thing he did in Tampa, I'm sorry but you have to be good to your players after you drilled them for 82 games, they aren't gonna put up with his crap anymore. Rupp hasn't seen any ice, and you can see he doesn't even wanna waste another breathe gettin into it with Washington players because he doesn't wanna fight for Torts anymore. IMO Sullivan has no business yelling into a players ear mid game the way he's been doing, these guys are not slaves. They worked hard and they got results.

my bad i wasnt trying to troll just good hockey talk. hate to see the coach blow it for the TEAM.
I'm not sure many Rangers fans are worried about Mike friggin Rupp bot see ice time when a skilled kid like Kreider sees less ice time than a bunch of grinders. Torts' problem is that he gives his SKILLED players little ice time in favor GRINDERS like RUPP.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Parker

I don't know if you could say that the Rangers even deserve to win the series at this point. I really hope they do, but can you look at this series objectively and say that they've been the better team? They are one 3OT goal and one 7-seconds-remaining miracle goal away from being eliminated already.

My biggest frustration is that Chris Kreider was a force who clearly changed the complexion of the team and he has been stapled to the bench for 3 games after making one rookie mistake with a bad pass. Seriously, the kid was all over the hockey media and fans of opposing teams were dying to find a player like him.. and he is being completely wasted at this point. Remember Pierre's "we're seeing a star in the making" as Kreider was flying down the ice against the Sens?

The Caps were able to shut down the Hags/Richie/Gabby line last night and there was no other offense being provided whatsoever. When we had the Kreider/Step/Callahan line it felt like we finally had a legit top 6 and now we're back to one first line (that the other team can focus all their D on) and a bunch of grinders who are no threat to score.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
EEDAWGZ

Way to stand behind your team . We got this, two days to get our **** together. We play better with our backs against the wall anyway

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Anisimov - Stepan - Kreider
Feds - Boyle - Callahan
Rupp - Mitchell - Prust

Those would be my lines to start game 7.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
ret513

With the lack of scoring and horrible pp, I didn't think they had a chance to go far in the playoffs....but with Vancouver, Pittsburg, Boston, Philly, St Louis, Nash., all out..This is truly their chance. To come out flat like that was disgraceful
Now, come back home and take it..do it for your fans...dominate..do it for Lundqvist. With the teams remaining, this may be their only shot in another long time!
Caps D ain't all that..they seem do do a lot of holding and grabbing..Holtby is playing great but he still is a rookie, someone has to expose his weakness.....that long neck hair makes him look like a ballchinian, and a ballchinian can be beaten once exposed

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:55 AM
nafsregnar27

vCash: 50
I have 2 things to say 1) Torts needs to reunite Stepan Kreider and Callahan, the minute I saw the lineup in the screen I knew we were gonna lose. 2) No more betting on the Rangers, 0-5 throughout the playoffs.

Too many negative nancies here, we are winning game 7

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Just want to say, I thought Lundqvist was awesome last night and kept the Rangers to only two goals down for most of the game. The first was a blast by Ovy and the second was just bad luck. But the guy was great.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:58 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Anisimov - Stepan - Kreider
Feds - Boyle - Callahan
Rupp - Mitchell - Prust

Those would be my lines to start game 7.
The problem is that Torts won't stick with them if the game is scoreless. He only sticks with his lines if they have a lead, but in a 1-goal game, the players know they are on a short leash.

Torts needs to go through tape, and find three lines with integrity and continuity. Your lines meet that criteria, so let's just pray he keeps them together.

I'm surprised when trailing he doesn't go back to the lines from mid-season. In a pinch, unite AA-Stepan-Gaborik and Hagelin/Kreider-Richards-Callahan.

The bottom six should never enter that rotation with Dubinsk hurt, yet Torts does it on a nightly basis

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Just want to say, I thought Lundqvist was awesome last night and kept the Rangers to only two goals down for most of the game. The first was a blast by Ovy and the second was just bad luck. But the guy was great.
And those are the types of games that the haters look up if it was a win or loss ,an say Hank sucks in the playoffs

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:03 AM
bouds

Quote:
hey guys i'm here in peace as a fellow hockey fanatic. I just cannot believe the arrogance of Tortarella. he makes it so hard to appreciate or respect whats they've done this year. He really oughta be fired if they lose, because he's a black eye for the organization at this moment and the veterans don't trust him anymore, he's not being smart playing with 6 guys. He did the same thing in Tampa. Good luck rest of the way.
Thanks for the laugh.

Maybe if Torts had better depth he'd roll six D-Men, or use he's bottom lines more.

bouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:04 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I don't know if you could say that the Rangers even deserve to win the series at this point.
I have always loved the following about the NHL Playoffs:

You can get lucky one Sunday in January, play really well, beat a team you have no business beating because they had an off day, and find yourself one step closer to the Super Bowl.

That doesn't happen here. You can get lucky once, but not four times.

The better team in the playoffs is the one that wins four games first. If you win four games first you deserve to move on.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Trident61494

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
I have always loved the following about the NHL Playoffs:

You can get lucky one Sunday in the NFL, play really well, and beat a team you have no business beating because they had an off day. That doesn't happen here. You can get lucky once..but not four times.

The better team in the playoffs is the one that wins four games first. If you win four games first you deserve to move on.
Where have you been all our lives and why can't more fans be like you...

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:07 AM
SERE 24
LGR

The penalty kill needs Dubi back.
The even strength lines need less Prust, Mitchell, Rupp and Fedetenko.
The PP needs a complete overhaul; where is Kreider on the PP? Where is Hagelin? Unfortunately, the PP is one thing we can't fix this year.

And yes, it is ultimately the offense that is the problem with this team, but I refuse to believe that Brad Richards who scored 168 points in the 150 games prior to becoming a Ranger and Marian Gaborik, who is 7th ALL-TIME among active goal scorers, and Ryan Callahan, who can be a 25 goal/50 point player on a team this offensively starved, and Michael Del Zotto who, despite seeming inept at times, can put up better than .5 points per game as a defenseman, somehow are incapable of manufacturing some semblance of a PP which means I HAVE TO point the finger at the coaching there.

The same unit is out there every time, so they have plenty of time to work it out. You've got an 'elite' passing center, a young puck moving d-man, a chippy, screen the goalie, bang in the rebound, fight in the corner 25 goal winger, an elite sniper and whoever is out as the 5th man (and it's not like the options are chopped liver between Hagelin, Stepan, Girardi and McDonagh - the usual suspects there), and you've got the man advantage. Are we lacking that big point shot? It would certainly appear that way, but I cannot accept that "if we just had that big shot on the blueline" these problems would be solved. This is a PP unit that, by all rights, SHOULD be MUCH better than it is. Therefore, I just have to blame the coaching.

I mean, I vaguely spelled out the credentials of those four main guys that play the bulk of each PP. It's not like Stepan, Hagelin, Anisimov, Kreider, McDonagh or even Staal or Boyle are completely untalented dopes here. A secondary PP unit made just from these guys should have a higher success rate than our top unit has. Our top unit's success rate is an abomination relative to the personnel we have on it. I think Mike Sullivan has to go. I just can't imagine how it's NOT the coaching. He must like the way we run our PP or he'd have changed up the look by now.

If it hadn't been for the goal with 6.6 seconds left in game 5 and the subsequent OT goal by Staal, we were 0-3 on the PP in that game (through 59 minutes) without a SINGLE SHOT. Last night we were 0-4. Apparently, it actually IS a miracle when our PP scores.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:10 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouds View Post
Thanks for the laugh.

Maybe if Torts had better depth he'd roll six D-Men, or use he's bottom lines more.
We have very good depth. We only lack scoring touch. And Torts uses our "bottom lines" more than, possibly, any other coach in the NHL would. That could sometimes be WHY we can't score. What team are you watching? I'm not saying I agreed with the NJ poster that he should be fired or is a black eye for the organization, but I agreed with some of what he said, for sure.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:29 AM
toastbag

In addition to getting the PP going, the Rangers need to get their penalty killing up to par real quick. It has looked horrible lately. I just hope the Rangers come out firing on all cylinders like they did in game 5. This team plays best when their back is against the wall. Much like the Giants and it worked out pretty good for them.

toastbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I love how a kid whose got what....1 point in the playoffs, and another kid who hasn't played even a dozen nhl games are going to magically fix a power play that can't score with the likes of Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik on it...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I love how a kid whose got what....1 point in the playoffs, and another kid who hasn't played even a dozen nhl games are going to magically fix a power play that can't score with the likes of Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik on it...
The shiny new toy always makes things better!

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
I think the point is that both of these kids have more offensive potential in their pinky than Mitchell has in his entire body. Yet neither one of them are getting any ice time on the PP, which continues to fail.

With the inability to even get a shot on the PP could it really hurt to change something up? Why keep doing what isn't working?

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:47 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Nobody said they are. But sticking with the same look failure after failure isn't a better option and consistently throwing Mitchell out there doesn't seem much more brilliant. He has one PP point in his entire career and it was a face-off win. Always the smart one liners from the 'holier than thou' Rangers fans here who feel they're above the rest of the posters. There is absolutely no reason NOT to let Kreider and Hagelin see PP time when you're PP is 0-4, you're trailing in a game and a PP is 2 minutes long anyhow, which is plenty of time to let more than one unit see some ice. My post actually CREDITS the talent of all four of our PP staples (Richards, Gabby, Cally, DZ) if you read it, but that doesn't mean a kid like Kreider, who obviously has offensive upside couldn't give us a new look out there, once in a while, when we're struggling and we need a goal. No need for the smug, dismissive attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I think the point is that both of these kids have more offensive potential in their pinky than Mitchell has in his entire body. Yet neither one of them are getting any ice time on the PP, which continues to fail.

With the inability to even get a shot on the PP could it really hurt to change something up? Why keep doing what isn't working?
Bingo. No one said they're the magic solution. It doesn't hurt to TRY when the PP is this bad though. Doing the same thing over and over, to the same result... what's that called? Insanity?