Notices

Koivu resigned to a 1 year, 3M + Bonuses

Old
05-09-2012, 08:03 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
Eric Stephens ‏ @icemancometh
Koivu said he got a positive feeling from meeting with GM Bob Murray that he was wanted back and ownership wants to make push next season.

Does this mean ownership will finally spend some money?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Yeah, those comments give me a bit of hope on that matter.

edit: Regarding Koivu's role.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Unholy

Very nice. Guy is all class.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:31 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 478
i think the 2nd and 3rd line is going to be pretty equal in minutes played next year. bb likes to roll 4 lines when possible and evened out the line minutes compared to rc. so i don't think it will matter much if he is 2nd or 3rd line.

we got a great faceoff guy, locker room leader who plays a good 2 way game. 3 mil sounds good to me.

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:24 PM
DaGeneral

Koivu's production has kept going down since he got here. Each year has seen a 5-10 point drop, not sure why next year will be any different. I'd love him for the 3rd line, but we are in trouble if we don't get another top 6 player.

DaGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
It means we are going to follow the Phoenix model and actually spend less.
Actually makes a scary amount of sense. Besides failed former first rounders, this is his other MO. Try to copy a winning team. First it was Pittsburgh/Detroit more speed and offensive talent. Then it was Boston and toughness. Now it will be hire a defensive coach and not spend any money.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
It means we are going to follow the Phoenix model and actually spend less.
Or spend as much as we currently are. If they can get away with it, every owner and GM will claim that they're pushing for a cup run the next season.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Actually makes a scary amount of sense. Besides failed former first rounders, this is his other MO. Try to copy a winning team. First it was Pittsburgh/Detroit more speed and offensive talent. Then it was Boston and toughness. Now it will be hire a defensive coach and not spend any money.
We've still yet to see this "toughness" unfortunately. But you're right, Murray always brings up in interviews about how it's becoming an "insert last years stanley cup winners style of play here" league.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Well I think that one's out the window, he's not gonna be paying three coaches for next season(or is Carlyle off the payroll because he's in Toronto?). I could see him just keep doing what he's doing.

As for the signing, a little more than I would've liked, and while I thought Bonino could be that third line C, Koivu fits very well. Good all-around, can chip in(something we've never really had from that position) and most importantly he's the best on the roster right now in the dot. Bonino could just switch to the wing and we go from there, biggest thing is to finally get that 2nd line C. Hopefully they can swing a nice trade, even if they have to overpay.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Bonino, Koivu and Cogliano would actually be a decent defensive line. Someone with more size than Cogs would be better but all three are good defensively IMO.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Bonino, Koivu and Cogliano would actually be a decent defensive line. Someone with more size than Cogs would be better but all three are good defensively IMO.
No, wouldn't be bad at all, although I would hope to trade Cogs if possible, maybe as a salary dump in a trade for a 2nd line center. But we'll see.

I think I'd keep Koivu and Selanne together. While many are down on Koivu's offense, he only had 6 less ES points than Teemu, and 3 less ES goals. While Teemu led the team in scoring, he did a lot of his damage on the PP, and being a year older he's probably not the even strength player he once was. He'd be fine on a third scoring line and still getting his first unit PP time. Not sure if Bonino fits with them, but that'd be good if it did. Or maybe a guy like DSP.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:40 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
that would be one of the softest non scoring lines in the league

Old
05-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
The numbers should came soon. Ducks just announced that the job is done and Koivu is staying. I expect something around 1,5 - 1,8M
1.5-1.8M not sure if serious?

Glad Saku is back and only 1 year deal... I had a feeling he might even retire.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Elvs

Based on Murray comment's I think the plan is something like:

Smith-Pelly - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - UFA/trade - Palmieri
Cogliano - Koivu - Selanne
Beleskey - Bonino - ?

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:37 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Based on Murray comment's I think the plan is something like:

Smith-Pelly - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - UFA/trade - Palmieri
Cogliano - Koivu - Selanne
Beleskey - Bonino - ?
That's a pretty soft team, I hate how we've committed to so many finesse/small players our bottom 6 needs a chris neil kinda guy, an agitator who can kill penalties and grind, and a tough guy who can play

Old
05-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
That's a pretty soft team, I hate how we've committed to so many finesse/small players our bottom 6 needs a chris neil kinda guy, an agitator who can kill penalties and grind, and a tough guy who can play
It really does. The more I look at that lineup the more I hope Cogliano is moved. Not that he's a bad player or anything but we could really use somebody with a physical presence who can make room for Saku and Teemu in his spot.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:32 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Koivu wouldn't be sufficient as a 2nd line center, but he would be awesome as a 3rd line center. Winning faceoffs and his long experience in the game.

So I'm guessing with that raise, Hagman isn't being resigned...?

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:30 AM
sirMcDuck

Teemu to third line? Jesus! Your best player... It's pretty clear that he will continue his career.

Smith-Pelly, Palmieri?

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:37 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
We've still yet to see this "toughness" unfortunately. But you're right, Murray always brings up in interviews about how it's becoming an "insert last years stanley cup winners style of play here" league.
Well we didn't see any actual offensive skill either in the first iteration. Just offensive castoffs like EC. And I mean offensive in the other meaning of the word.

I feel like Murray has always done a good job of assessing the teams' weaknesses. He just doesn't effectively address them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPeyton View Post
Well I think that one's out the window, he's not gonna be paying three coaches for next season(or is Carlyle off the payroll because he's in Toronto?). I could see him just keep doing what he's doing.
I would assume Carlyle is off the payroll with a new job. That's pretty common. Because technically he would still be Ducks "property." It's a give and take where the team doesn't have to pay any more in exchange for allowing the employee to work elsewhere.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:48 AM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Quote:
I feel like Murray has always done a good job of assessing the teams' weaknesses. He just doesn't effectively address them.
So much this. If he actually fixed this part he would actually be a pretty solid GM

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
AnahiemducksF4n
Rookie User

Welcome back Saku hope its a great year

AnahiemducksF4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:04 AM
duari91

Anyone thinking that koivu will be a 3rd line center in Anaheim is nuts. The hope of getting a true 2nd line center died with re-signing koivu. 3 million dollars for a 3rd line player? On a budget team? Be realistic.

Murray cant compete with the FA market, so he chose the easiest route, he signed koivu.

duari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Murray can get away with paying Koivu that amount if two top nine wingers are on ELC's.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

This is a deal that had to be made IMO, not sure if it was this thread or the main board thread, but someone said something along the lines of a thin FA market, and if Koivu doesn't sign we are in trouble, and that's my feelings on it.

We'd be in big trouble without having Koivu there and we can't acquire a new top 6 center. Maybe BM has something planned with the owners that they'll agree to eat salary if Anaheim can acquire a top 6 center and have Koivu on the third line, but who knows, have to wait and see what happens.

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:33 AM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

I have a feeling the line-up will look something like this (with the middle lines being 2A/2B):

DSP - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogs - Koivu - Teemu
Ryan - Bonino - Palmieri/UFA
Beleskey - UFA - Parros/UFA/Maroon/Snoop Dogg

As for the defense, hopefully either Lydman or Lubo are moved at Draft Day to give some more cap relief. Maybe pursue someone like Huselius or Penner.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote