HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
04-13-2012, 10:30 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
Lazar, Rankin, Pulock, Roy, Comrie, Shinkaurk, Morrissey, Bowey, Petan, Klimchuk, Forsberg, Lees, Merkley, Chase, Needham, White, Heathring, Nikkel, Jensen, Geertsen, Kanzig, Hauf, Erkamps, Smith, Williams....it is a very scary draft for the WHL
It's really unbelievable, actually. Even a guy like Jamal Watson is going to turn some heads. Also a guy like Brett Stovin, who scored 13 goals on the Blades third line this year could be a guy that nets 20 or more and ends up as a top 4-5 rounder.

Tons of depth for the WHL.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
It's really unbelievable, actually. Even a guy like Jamal Watson is going to turn some heads. Also a guy like Brett Stovin, who scored 13 goals on the Blades third line this year could be a guy that nets 20 or more and ends up as a top 4-5 rounder.

Tons of depth for the WHL.
I've been loving this draft for the WHL since the Canada Games last year. There's just so much depth talent-wise. Not sure how many high-end 95s they'll have in 2013, but the depth of the draft should be very strong, IMO.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:41 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
Lazar, Rankin, Pulock, Roy, Comrie, Shinkaurk, Morrissey, Bowey, Petan, Klimchuk, Forsberg, Lees, Merkley, Chase, Needham, White, Heathring, Nikkel, Jensen, Geertsen, Kanzig, Hauf, Erkamps, Smith, Williams....it is a very scary draft for the WHL

Knew I forgot a bunch. Can't believe I forgot Geersten. Next year draft in general is very scary let alone from the dub.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Wheatking

I went to a handful of Oil Kings games this season and I must have always went to the right games because Lazar was always a stand out. You wouldn't think so based on his point totals but he always impressed me.

...and now he's taken his game to another level in the playoffs. 4 goals and 10 points in 8 games. He's showing signs of being a big game player in his 16 year old season.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013 Draft)

While all the talk is on Nathan Mackinnon for next year's draft, Curtis Lazar has quietly played solid throughout the entire season and is currently leading the Oil Kings in playoff scoring, quite amazing for a Rookie playing with such elite players like Michael St. Croix and TJ Foster. Lazar was picked 2nd Overall in the 2010 WHL Bantam Entry Draft, behind Alex Forsberg. Lazar posted 31 points in 63 games this year playing 2nd-3rd line minutes, and has 18 points in 17 playoff games. Lazar uses his blazing speed to go to the net for rebounds, but also plays a finesse game and has a decent shot.

WHL Profile: http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/6678

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:43 PM
MooseheadCanadiens

Its about time someone made a thread for this talent. IMO he has the ability to go top 3 next year, especially if he continues his playoff form into next years season.

MooseheadCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Torts

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Seth Jones
3. Curtis Lazar

thats the way i see it, but each player has another year to play until them. i really like Lazar however, just dont get to see him much living in ontario. heres hoping sportsnet picks up a game of the WHL finals.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:58 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

I've consistently said that Shinkaruk is the head of the class for WHL forwards for the 2013 draft, but Lazar is definitely closing the gap in my eyes, if not leveling the playing field.

He's a big body, he plays aggressively, he goes to the net, he's got vision, he's got scorers hands and he can handle playing somewhat of a checking role. He really is a total package type of player.

The 2013 draft is scary good when it comes to the WHL class.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:41 PM
OneSharpMarble

Loser for Lazar?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Love this prospect, there is not a more complete forward in the 2013 draft at this point than Lazar, IMO. I am a huge fan of Shinkaruk but I seriously think by next year, Lazar will be a more better and valuable commodity for majority of teams picking in the top 5 position.

As a Leafs fan, if I was torn to pick between one of Shinkaruk and Lazar at this point and most likely in the future, I had definitely give a nod to Lazar.

He is also currently on my #4 ranked list from 2013 draft right after MacKinnon, Jones, and Monahan( phenomenal prospect).

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Icebreakers

I dont see Lazar going top 5, there is wayyyy too many players that are better. Ie Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov , Monahan , Shinkaruk, Duclair.

Icebreakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreakers View Post
I dont see Lazar going top 5, there is wayyyy too many players that are better. Ie Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov , Monahan , Shinkaruk, Duclair.
The thing is - Lazar is gonna get tons of exposure in his draft year. The Oil Kings weren't expected to make it this far this year - but rather next year was our year. Barring a huge collapse (knock on wood), one can easily expect the Oil Kings to at least make it into the WHL final next season too. Medicine Hat doesn't have that privilege (especially without Bunz next year) - which is unfortunate for Shinkaruk.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
The thing is - Lazar is gonna get tons of exposure in his draft year. The Oil Kings weren't expected to make it this far this year - but rather next year was our year. Barring a huge collapse (knock on wood), one can easily expect the Oil Kings to at least make it into the WHL final next season too. Medicine Hat doesn't have that privilege (especially without Bunz next year) - which is unfortunate for Shinkaruk.
Is there a comparable player in the NHL to Lazar?

Icebreakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
He is already much more polished and well-rounded than any of those prospects listed aside from perhaps Monahan so I expect his offensive game to improve quite a lot by next june.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:26 PM
shello
@WShello9

Another thread on Lazar: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...t=curtis+lazar

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

But he is for sure one of my favorite players in the 2013 draft, I dont see him going top 5, bottom top 10 is where I see him going. It really shows how deep this draft is next year, we'll see top 10 talent pick in the 20's. His shot is amazing, has it all going right now, maybe his skating but its not a huge factor. He already has great size for his age, will only get better, his hockey sense is good as well. Fights when he has too, not bad at that either. After Mason Geersten (one of his good friends) got hit this year, he went right after the player and did an excellent job holding his own. Ive spoken to him before he's a really nice kid.

Quote:
Is there a comparable player in the NHL to Lazar?
Ive heard Kesler, but i dont see it personally.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:38 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseheadCanadiens View Post
Its about time someone made a thread for this talent. IMO he has the ability to go top 3 next year, especially if he continues his playoff form into next years season.
Careful, don't you dare talk up Lazar, since most of the experts disagree!

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I have him top 10.. Behind other WHL players (now) Jones, Shinkaruk, and Poluck

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:32 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
I dont think Duclair is better than Lazar. Duclair is skilled and fast but Lazar reminds me of Mike Richards. He plays defense well, hits, excellent shot, goes to the tough areas and plays bigger than he is. And hes got great hands in close. It will be tough for scouts to find many errors in his game. I also think that other than size, Lazar will be able to do everything Barkov can do but with more offence.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

The last Portland/Edmonton game was probably the best game I've seen all year from any league. Lazar was one of the main reasons for that.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

He'll go Top 5-10. He's a beauty out there. One of the premier forwards in the WHL.

Add on that the Oil Kings will be beast once again next season, we'll get to see him start the year off with prime minutes.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:48 AM
bsmith14

ill predict 35G 45A 80P 72GP next year

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
ill predict 35G 45A 80P 72GP next year
I said to a co-worker recently that I wouldn't be shocked if he scored 40 next season.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Have a hard time coming up with a comparison for him, because lots of times I will look for a comparable player that plays the same position and shoots the same way. That's virtually impossible for Lazar because he's a RH centre, that is more of a sniper than passer.

Ignoring the position aspect of things, I would say a guy like Shane Doan is an ok comparison.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
17Kurri

From what I've seen from him this season, if he keeps improving as he has been, I don't see how he is not a top 5, maybe even top 3, pick next year.

He's within the class of MacKinnon, Monahan, Barkov, and Jones, imo.

Unless Shinkaruk has a relatively big size increase next season, without losing his productivity, I'm thinking too many teams might pass on him. Of course, the size issue didn't hurt Skinner, so I guess you never know.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:38 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Would like to see the Oilers draft this kid. Trade up if need be. Playing between Hall and Yakupov can only be a good thing.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote