HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Trotz needs to be fired

Old
05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
5-5 this season. 6-6 last post season. 11-11 over the past two years.

The Blues went 4-5 this playoffs. The Hawks are 5-8 over the past two years. The Wings are 8-8 over the last two playoffs. Pitt at 5-8 those last two post seasons. A bit of comparison.
So what you're saying is that Trotz is roughly equally as good in the last 2years as 4 other coaches who didn't win the Stanley Cup? Nice. Well if I concede that as fact...........you should consider that Trotz is 8-30 in the years prior to that. During that time Pitt, the Hawks, and Wings all won Stanley Cups.

There's a bit of comparison for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
John Tortorella has 33 playoff losses and Lindy Ruff bats .564 in the postseason. What can you do?

Seriously. What coach currently on the market is an improvement over Trotz? Sutter? No, he's awful. Jacques "career .462 winning percentage in the postseason" Martin?
Where is it written that you have to hire an NHL retread? Was Trotz, who you revere so much a retread? By the way, Trotz winning percentage is .317 in the post season, so by comparison Jacques is an upgrade, which is sad.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
So what you're saying is that Trotz is roughly equally as good in the last 2years as 4 other coaches who didn't win the Stanley Cup? Nice. Well if I concede that as fact...........you should consider that Trotz is 8-30 in the years prior to that. During that time Pitt, the Hawks, and Wings all won Stanley Cups.

Where is it written that you have to hire an NHL retread? Was Trotz, who you revere so much a retread? By the way, Trotz winning percentage is .317 in the post season, so by comparison Jacques is an upgrade, which is sad.
Run fast and far from Martin you think Trotz has a boring system Martin is like watching paint dry.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Hawkyfan99

vCash: 995
Trotz is, and should be, an annual candidate for the Jack Adams. He always gets solid play out of his teams, who have been historically underskilled.

The idea that he should be canned is laughable.

Hawkyfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Actually, I simply pointed out the .500 record in the past two playoffs. 06-07 was the ONE season where we had a good team and underperformed in the playoffs. We gave the eventual Cup champs all they could handle in 09-10, we put up a good fight against the Wings both times we faced them as severe underdogs. I see evidence of progress. Trotz can't make the playoffs to he can't lead this team past the first round to the current refrain of he can't lead the team to the conference finals. Every time the "can't" is proven wrong, the lyrics get a slight change.

03-04 and 07-08 seasons were a first time eek into the playoffs and the year after the fire sale when none of us expected the team to make the playoffs, but, not going deep is the problem when just getting there was over achieving? Absolutely amazing.

The predictions were this season's squad would finish where again? I love how we go from this team is going to suck and miss the playoffs every October/November to why aren't we coasting to the Cup every spring. Such divergent expectations.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkyfan99 View Post
Trotz is, and should be, an annual candidate for the Jack Adams. He always gets solid play out of his teams, who have been historically underskilled.

The idea that he should be canned is laughable.
Three seasons, including this one, he's had teams that were as stacked as anyone in the league. 05/06 and 06/07 the team lost in 5 games to the Sharks. This season, 5 games to the Coyotes in the second round.

The point some are making is that Trotz is a great coach for a team that needs to make something out of nothing, but he doesn't seem to be able to cope with another team employing a system that counteracts his own, nor does he seem to know how to get a great team to be an elite team.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Actually, I simply pointed out the .500 record in the past two playoffs. 06-07 was the ONE season where we had a good team and underperformed in the playoffs. We gave the eventual Cup champs all they could handle in 09-10, we put up a good fight against the Wings both times we faced them as severe underdogs. I see evidence of progress. Trotz can't make the playoffs to he can't lead this team past the first round to the current refrain of he can't lead the team to the conference finals. Every time the "can't" is proven wrong, the lyrics get a slight change.

03-04 and 07-08 seasons were a first time eek into the playoffs and the year after the fire sale when none of us expected the team to make the playoffs, but, not going deep is the problem when just getting there was over achieving? Absolutely amazing.

The predictions were this season's squad would finish where again? I love how we go from this team is going to suck and miss the playoffs every October/November to why aren't we coasting to the Cup every spring. Such divergent expectations.
I see what you're saying, but at the same time, preseason predictions don't mean a thing, especially when we're usually shot down by national outlets.

The fact is that we went into the playoffs as a favorite to come out of the west. we went into the second round against a less experienced team that we were almost unanimously picked to beat.

What happened? We were not only beaten in a short series, it was a pretty sound beating that saw, like it or not, another coach simply outcoach the other.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:56 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Actually, I simply pointed out the .500 record in the past two playoffs. 06-07 was the ONE season where we had a good team and underperformed in the playoffs. We gave the eventual Cup champs all they could handle in 09-10, we put up a good fight against the Wings both times we faced them as severe underdogs. .
Sort of how the Yotes were underdogs against us this year? The NHL isn't the NBA, lower seeded teams often beat higher seeded teams. So in any year it's a crapshoot, or at least it should be close to one. The fact that Trotz playoff record is so abysmal is shocking.
Quote:
I see evidence of progress. Trotz can't make the playoffs to he can't lead this team past the first round to the current refrain of he can't lead the team to the conference finals. Every time the "can't" is proven wrong, the lyrics get a slight change.

Why does Trotz get all this leeway? At this rate, we'll make it to the Western Conference Finals in 2014, the Stanley Cup Finals in 2018, and we'll win it all in 2022. Only 10 more years guys!

Or it could go the other way. And the window that has already been open for longer than usual, closes; and it's 7 more years of misery until we poke our head up again.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Sort of how the Yotes were underdogs against us this year? The NHL isn't the NBA, lower seeded teams often beat higher seeded teams. So in any year it's a crapshoot, or at least it should be close to one. The fact that Trotz playoff record is so abysmal is shocking.

Why does Trotz get all this leeway? At this rate, we'll make it to the Western Conference Finals in 2014, the Stanley Cup Finals in 2018, and we'll win it all in 2022. Only 10 more years guys!

Or it could go the other way. And the window that has already been open for longer than usual, closes; and it's 7 more years of misery until we poke our head up again.
not to mention, it took 6 tries to get out of the first round. Does the idea of another 4 seasons before we get out of the second sound like an acceptable learning curve?

Trotz did have that reputation, but don't act like it wasn't deserved.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:04 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The 3 seed as the underdog to a 4 seed when that 3 seed took more points in the regular season matchups. Only if you believe the same talking heads that predicted the team at a 10-12 seed before the season. The same people who predicted the Bruins, Pens, Hawks, and Canucks would escape the first round.

Any intelligent analysis showed this would be a tight, hard fought series which either team was quite capable of winning.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Any intelligent analysis showed this would be a tight, hard fought series which either team was quite capable of winning.
lol. That same statement could be made for most any NHL playoff series, with a few exceptions. Trotz, in series when either team is capable of winning, has won twice and lost 7 times. That's bad.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:29 PM
token grinder

Quote:

going from ****show in the first round to making the second round could also be seen as a coach improving his skills as well.

And how many of those coaches had a Ramzi Abid type playing on a first line in the playoffs?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:32 PM
token grinder

Quote:
lol. That same statement could be made for most any NHL playoff series, with a few exceptions. Trotz, in series when either team is capable of winning, has won twice and lost 7 times. That's bad.
I think you have define capale of winning. Every series is capable of being won. the only series we have been favored or a toss up with is the ducks from last year and the 2 from this year. Every other series this franchise has been an underdog. An underdog we believe can beat anyone, but that is the fanbase looking through then mustard, now gold colored lenses.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:17 PM
jlsg

Quote:
I wonder how many NHL coaches would love to be able to say they have been in that many playoff series?

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:34 PM
glenngineer

This is funny. We can talk about this and that but the fact is Trotz's record in the playoff is his record. Is it good? No. It's actually pretty laughable if you look at the numbers. He is well under .500. Sorry but this is the bottom line. Twist and turn this any way we like but two series wins versus seven defeats. If people come back and say we were underdogs in a few of those series, that's great. I'll just say LA this year as an 8 seed has knocked off the top two teams in the west and Edmonton was an 8 seed and went all the way to the finals. You get in, you take your chances but at some point, this team has to break through and if you tell me that it will be with Trotz, I highly doubt it. He has shown no ability to get us past the point where we're at. We finally won a series last year, we won one this year, big whoop. We went for it, we didn't make it, time for a change.

And if I hear, where were we supposed to finish in the standings preseason talk again, I'll laugh even harder because we all know we are never favored to get into the playoffs yet we do it year in and year out. It's what we don't do once we make it that has some of us upset. If you want to wait for Trotz to do something in the playoffs, you'll be sorely disappointed year in and year out. Expectations need to change. And for what it's worth, since our existence, every team has changed coaches once except Buffalo and us. Other owners and GM's have made the change and guess what, some of them went on to win the Cup with those new coaches. Crazy as that may sound it's time. Loyalty is great only to a fault.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
adsfan

@Glenn: Stop trying to confuse me with the facts!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
@Glenn: Stop trying to confuse me with the facts!
the only "Fact" here is that making a coaching change will absolutely cement the Preds place at the bottom of the standings for the rest of our lives.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:08 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
the only "Fact" here is that making a coaching change will absolutely cement the Preds place at the bottom of the standings for the rest of our lives.
And the pundits will ask, who is that coach going to be?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:20 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Trotz is the only coach we'll ever have because we won the Stanley Cup didn't we ....we beat the Wings ...in a playoff series.... that is our Stanley Cup. We don't care if Edmonton or Phoenix beats us every time as long as we beat the Wings. Granted the Wings are one of the best franchises in the NHL. So we beat the bar that was set against us.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:22 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
honestly, if barry goes, horacek probably takes over

Old
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
honestly, if barry goes, horacek probably takes over
And JR Lind pisses his pants.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:33 PM
PredsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Trotz is the only coach we'll ever have because we won the Stanley Cup didn't we ....we beat the Wings ...in a playoff series.... that is our Stanley Cup. We don't care if Edmonton or Phoenix beats us every time as long as we beat the Wings. Granted the Wings are one of the best franchises in the NHL. So we beat the bar that was set against us.
While I liked beating the wings, thats not the overall goal. I was happy, but there was still SO Much work to be done. I always bite my tongue when I go to games and I hear things like "At least we beat the Wings" or "We lost, but we got to see Tootoo fight so its okay". Just basic stuff that shows that some of our fan base have not accepted the fact that we have moved on as a franchise to where we SHOULD beat a Detroit and how we SHOULD be competing with the best.

Last edited by PredsHockey: 05-09-2012 at 11:07 PM.
PredsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Yeah......that's CLEARLY the overall vibe right now.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:40 AM
token grinder

another nugget to show how terrible trotz was/is--only one team in the mighty powerful west has advanced to the Western Semi-Finals the past two years-Nashville

Old
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Yeah......that's CLEARLY the overall vibe right now.
I think the team did also ....because we were flat during that whole series. We only played one real good game and that was game 3 and that was stalwart defensive effort not offensively. The series was lost in game 4

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
I think the team did also ....because we were flat during that whole series. We only played one real good game and that was game 3 and that was stalwart defensive effort not offensively. The series was lost in game 4
I was being sarcastic. No one is happy or okay with losing to Phoenix. As for the effort in the games, the second half of game 1 was outplayed them like crazy. Game 3 we outplayed them. Game 4 was pretty even if not to our advantage, and Game 5 really wasn't the worst effort either. Inability to get pucks past a hot goaltender doesn't always equate to lack of effort.

It's hard to come out flat and outshoot teams like we did in some of these games, even if not all of them are point-blank chances, to still have to have possession and momentum to make it happen. We outshot them by 18 in game 1 and 16 in Game 5. We actually got outshot in game 3, but really that was the only game in which Rinne was better than Smith.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote