HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 08:29 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

vCash: 500
I'm very far from a Crawford fan. That being said if it did boil down to Crawford and Hartley then the decision for me is Crow. However, If Robinson should somehow end up as Assistant Coach w/ Crawford as HC then I would feel comfortable with that selection. Even Harley to some degree, but I'd still not rather see Harley around this team. Having a very strong assistant coach can only make your head coach stronger.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:34 AM
glenn77

I love Robinson but my only concern is that didn't he have a nervous breakdown when he was a headcoach? I think it was when he was behind the NJ bench.

I know it would only be him coming in as an assistant but if the NJ pressure got to him, Mtl is no walk in the park re: pressure.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
I love Robinson but my only concern is that didn't he have a nervous breakdown when he was a headcoach? I think it was when he was behind the NJ bench.

I know it would only be him coming in as an assistant but if the NJ pressure got to him, Mtl is no walk in the park re: pressure.
I have never head of an assistant leaving or having problems because of pressure. The heat is usually on the players and HC along with GM.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:57 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Wait Roy quit his team as a coach? when?
Perhaps you may not have heard of this but look up the reason why Patrick Roy was traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Who's your candidate?
Not sure. I don't like anyone rumoured. I kinda like Groulx but I doubt they go with a rookie. I'm holding out hope that MB poaches Babcock somehow. Don't know why I think he can do it but something tells me...

Otherwise, I say Lemaire.

waffledave
Old
05-10-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Gainey named Carbo his best move....and fired him 2 months after that. Never ever would I haev thought that Gainey would have fired Carbo. They did share the same thing until that moment. You also have to think that Martin was Gainey's type of guy. And CLEARY Gauthier was Gainey's type of man as well.

I believe that friends or not, it doesn't mean that you share the same vision. And most likely, they'll know that during interviews. Personnally, I'm totally for and understand Bergevin wanted to have a friend around as assistant GM. It helps that the friend is a great hockey mind as well. But as coach? I don't see a problem of Bergevin getting a new friend. If I know that the coach will get the best out of his players, I'll put my friendship 2nd.

We do not need the distraction that Crawford will bring. Whether we like it or not, the debate has INDEED surpassed the "has to be bilingual" to "as to be ONE OF OUR OWN Cherry style". And unless the guy available would have been Babcock, there's just no way that the fans and the media see Crawford as that much of an upgrade to what we have over here INCLUDING Roy. Might not be the reality. Surely isn't. But this is not what's important. In Crawford, you will have more talk about the Gretzky incident, the Bertuzzi incident, and his past 5 years in coaching than his Cup in another life.
I'm not talking about being friends...i'm talking about having a good working relationship.

It's important for the GM to hire someone who he can work with, not necessarily the coach with the best pedigree (not that that's a bad thing either mind you).

I think all of the candidates available have some good and bad baggage, so you're likely not to have a unanimous choice either way.

Bergevin just needs to choose his man regardless of media and/or fan perception.

It's about time the GM in this city made moves HE thought were right and not the one's which were almost forced upon him by the media and fans.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Here's more fuel for the fire sort'of. I share his opinion.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...683/story.html

Old
05-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

It's pretty funny to read the "history" that this candidate or that candidate has with Bergevin. Don't look....but seems to me Bergevin has an history with everybody. So we should probably move on from that aspect.

Carbo....too soon for me. And sorry, but I will always believe that the communication is not SOLELY an aspect that a assistant-coach has to be good as. It makes no sense for me that a coach wouldn't speak a lot to his players and leaves that aspect to an assistant. That seems so out of this world, and way too pretentious. Do not want.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Perhaps you may not have heard of this but look up the reason why Patrick Roy was traded.

He was traded as a coach? I don't remember that.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
It's about time the GM in this city made moves HE thought were right and not the one's which were almost forced upon him by the media and fans.
Somehow, I feel that's how it's going to be. And frankly, again, the gap isn't big enough to be able to justify to NOT give the fans what they want. I mean, as much as people hate some franco candidates for good and bad reasons, I'm sorry but I can't see Crawford as a "clear" winner. The guy who didn't win for quite some time now. And out of job as we speak.

I mean, if Gainey and Gauthier can have so much room to breather for quite some time, I believe Bergevin could have to hire at least 2 coaches before his name starts to be mentioned as problematic. So give the people what they want, it's not like there's a lot of choices, and then you'd be able to do what you want for your 2nd coach. Mind you, again, he has to be at ease with this 1st guy he'll hire, I know.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:21 PM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

Hartley and Crawford as head coach with Robinson and Roy as assistants.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Somehow, I feel that's how it's going to be. And frankly, again, the gap isn't big enough to be able to justify to NOT give the fans what they want. I mean, as much as people hate some franco candidates for good and bad reasons, I'm sorry but I can't see Crawford as a "clear" winner. The guy who didn't win for quite some time now. And out of job as we speak.

I mean, if Gainey and Gauthier can have so much room to breather for quite some time, I believe Bergevin could have to hire at least 2 coaches before his name starts to be mentioned as problematic. So give the people what they want, it's not like there's a lot of choices, and then you'd be able to do what you want for your 2nd coach. Mind you, again, he has to be at ease with this 1st guy he'll hire, I know.
Nothing was foced on any HAb Management BY fans?? LOl- media
maybe if they did listen wouldnt have made so many atrocious ugly decisions

Old
05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Here's more fuel for the fire sort'of. I share his opinion.
I'm not getting the Carbonneau love. He was terrible for pretty much the same reasons Randy was, except he had a better PP. And with penalties becoming rarer a ridiculously unsustainable PP wouldn't even carry a bad 5-on-5 club to a 100-point season anymore.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not getting the Carbonneau love. He was terrible for pretty much the same reasons Randy was, except he had a better PP. And with penalties becoming rarer a ridiculously unsustainable PP wouldn't even carry a bad 5-on-5 club to a 100-point season anymore.
Carbonneau as assistant coach: YES !

As head coach again ? : NO !

I think he would make a good combo with Roy or Therrien. + Robinson or Sylvain Lefebvre

Old
05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
MathMan

Roy isn't really qualified for the post, what with no pro coaching experience and all. If he wasn't Patrick Roy he wouldn't be on anyone's radar.

Dunno about Therrien. I'm a little concerned by how much better than him Blysma's been though.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:46 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Roy isn't really qualified for the post, what with no pro coaching experience and all. If he wasn't Patrick Roy he wouldn't be on anyone's radar.

Dunno about Therrien. I'm a little concerned by how much better than him Blysma's been though.
What does it mean... ?

Was he surfing in Hawaii the last 7 years. Or knitting tuques and socks at home ?

Gretzky and Mario Tremblay were prime examples of being "not qualified". Not Roy.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
What does it mean... ?

Was he surfing in Hawaii the last 7 years. Or knitting tuques and socks at home ?
He wasn't coaching in pro hockey. Which makes him, well, unqualified.

Tremblay and Gretzky were ridiculously unqualified, but that doesn't mean that everyone with more experience than them is fine.

Like I said -- I don't think he'd be on the radar if he weren't a HoF goalie.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Tremblay and Gretzky were ridiculously unqualified, but that doesn't mean that everyone with more experience than them is fine.

Oh yeah, he was coaching a pee-wee team at the Quebec Carnival ...

Old
05-10-2012, 01:13 PM
jwolf

Crawford with Carbo and Bird as assistants? I don't even know if it's feasable or if Carbo would agree to come back as an assistant, but...

Old
05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
Nothing was foced on any HAb Management BY fans?? LOl- media
maybe if they did listen wouldnt have made so many atrocious ugly decisions
I'm positive that if they did listen, there would be many more ugly decisions. Habs fans are some of the most fickle and divisive in the NHL!

Old
05-10-2012, 02:03 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Oh yeah, he was coaching a pee-wee team at the Quebec Carnival ...
Roy ain't my first choice, but I could live with that pick.

Hartley & Therrien, & even Lemaire would be my options for the moment. I am not crazy about Crawford. And if habs would go with a unilingual head coach with NHL experience and who is available NOW, i would go with Paul Maurice.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:

Peter Deboer made the jump from Kitchner to the Nhl. Everyone knows about Dale Hunter. Guy Boucher only needed one year in the ahl. If you surround him with Veteran assistants I think he could be fine. My problem with Roy is not his experience but his personality. I don't see him and Carey mixing well together.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
PricePkPatch

Patrick Roy as the groomed-and-coming Assistant Coach, under Lemaire's supervision.

Dream scenario

Old
05-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Crawford with Carbo and Bird as assistants? I don't even know if it's feasable or if Carbo would agree to come back as an assistant, but...
I would be ok with that scenario.

Cunneyworth? Ladouceur?

Old
05-10-2012, 02:40 PM
shutehinside

I liked Carbo as coach but always found the Habs didn't have much of a structure. They always seemed more like a run and gun team which is fun to watch but doesn't usually equate to a Cup. Despite his fantastic record when he was canned, there must be a reason he hasn't had so much as a sniff from any other NHL team after he was let go. Strange, no?

Old
05-10-2012, 02:40 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Peter Deboer made the jump from Kitchner to the Nhl. Everyone knows about Dale Hunter. Guy Boucher only needed one year in the ahl. If you surround him with Veteran assistants I think he could be fine. My problem with Roy is not his experience but his personality. I don't see him and Carey mixing well together.
I think just the opposite. Roy UNDERSTANDS what a goalie is all about. He has helped every goalies that had played under him in Quebec.

Closed Thread