HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

King Richards the Lion Heart

Old
05-09-2012, 02:31 PM
DumpyD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
(which btw would have been considered a success before the season)
Only because they chose future possibilities over trying to win it all in the present last offseason. The Kings chose the opposite, and if they're still playing in June people will finally shut up about the Flyers "winning" all those trades.

And five years down the line if they still haven't won anything? Philly fans will be outside the [insert bank name here] Center with pitchforks.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I'm a Flyers fan, but Richards is still my favorite player.
I don't think the Flyers need to find excuses for that trade, despite getting ousted in the second round (which btw would have been considered a success before the season) this was still a great trade for the Flyers. As it was for the Kings.
I think it's great when teams trade and come winners on both ends. Is there something wrong with us getting a great playoff leader and the Flyers getting tremendous youth? They secure their future, we make playoffs and are breaking franchise records. Now who's Holmgren going to call next time he wants to do a blockbuster under wraps again? Both franchises win in the trade and in future trade relationships.

It's like with the Oilers. People call us Flyers West, but we're just as much Oilers West. DL got pissed at the Oils, but he had to publicly apologize because we do so much trading with them. Why mess up a good thing and wish ill on another team? I'd rather be on the "ins" with teams then try to rip everyone off by trading lemons.

That said, I'd still do the trade any day of the week. Without Richards, no playoffs, no Conference finals, and no Dean Lombardi by the end of the year. We've rebuilt enough, it was time to double down our bets. Like Lebrun keeps saying, we have 2 lines that dominate 200 feet of ice. That's incredible, it's our time to strike.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Well said Andrew.

There doesn't always have to be a winner and loser in trades, sometimes both teams come out of it ok.

Don't shed any tears for Philly, there are a lot of teams in way worse shape. They will be fine Giroux (24), Couturier (19), Simmonds (23), Schenn (20), Read (25), Voracek (22), JVR (23)

I think JVR or even Schenn could be dealt this summer for a similarly aged defenseman to balance the team out, like the Kings did in the Carter/JJ trade. And they will be players for Ryan Suter, no question about it.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:21 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
They did, but no one will admit it. Even as he's raising the cup over his head people here will call him a loser and a dog.
As a Flyers fan, I'm completely down with seeing Richie raise the cup over his head this year. There's certainly a large segment of Flyers fans who would like to see you guys win it all. It might even be a majority.

The Flyers definitely could have used Richards' defensive presence this year. I was all for the Carter trade, I initially didn't like the Richards trade but now I'm on the fence about it. I'm not going to root against those guys just because we traded them, nor am I going to be upset if they win the whole shebang.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
The Kings may not be pretty, they may not be superstars, and they may not be charismatic, but right now they are winning.
Pretty? They score some pretty damn nice goals at times.

Superstars? All I see is talent when I look at the roster. Kopitar, williams, richards, carter, stoll, lewis, doughty, voynov, martinez, quick...

Charismatic? Since when was charisma required to win?

The Kings are not just some dump and chase, grinding kind of team. They are an elite team that has just started playing like that.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Well said Andrew.

There doesn't always have to be a winner and loser in trades, sometimes both teams come out of it ok.

Don't shed any tears for Philly, there are a lot of teams in way worse shape. They will be fine Giroux (24), Couturier (19), Simmonds (23), Schenn (20), Read (25), Voracek (22), JVR (23)

I think JVR or even Schenn could be dealt this summer for a similarly aged defenseman to balance the team out, like the Kings did in the Carter/JJ trade. And they will be players for Ryan Suter, no question about it.
Could see JVR moving to obviate cap problem, a D would be likely target but they had as many as 10 NHL DMen this year, just had injuries. Think Carle will bolt as UFA.

05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
I guess that depends on what you consider math skills. 24 months = 2 years.

12 months = 1 year.

June 2010 to June 2012 is TWO YEARS
2 years and one month. So no.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:00 AM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
Pretty? They score some pretty damn nice goals at times.

Superstars? All I see is talent when I look at the roster. Kopitar, williams, richards, carter, stoll, lewis, doughty, voynov, martinez, quick...

Charismatic? Since when was charisma required to win?

The Kings are not just some dump and chase, grinding kind of team. They are an elite team that has just started playing like that.
To me:

Superstars = media darlings aka Crosby, Ovechkin, Lundqvist

And I agree you don't need charisma, that was my point. A lot of people didn't like Richards in Philadelphia cause he wasn't this personable, witty guy. My point is you don't need to be charismatic to be a good leader.

What I mean by all that I said was that they aren't the commercial NHL ideal. They don't have guys that the camera loves or household names. They don't make a lot of noise and they don't talk big. They take care of business on the ice. They aren't a fraud like some teams I've seen these playoffs that score a ton of goals, but can't pull out the win.

There's a lot of talent and you can't just say this is Quick's team or this is Brown's team. They play as a complete unit, four lines rolling with great defense and goaltending. If someone is having a bad game, another guy steps up and has an awesome game. They are playing as a team rather than a couple fancy superstars.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote