HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Well, Whatever happens in Game 7, I am proud of this team

Old
05-10-2012, 08:50 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
lol @ "the respect of the Rangers and the league".

You don't play the game for respect.

You play. to win. the games.
Herm, is that you?

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:53 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
Herm, is that you?
Glad someone appreciated my New York coaching reference.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Seriously?

Who gives a **** if they've still won the respect of the Rangers and the league?

I surely don't.

It's not a win-win. Screw that. I'll be pissed if they lose.
Yeah, this. **** this whole thread, honestly.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Not me.

I'll be proud WHEN they win Game 7.

That will go a long way in putting some of the past demons to rest and turning a franchise corner of sorts IMO.
Fixed for you.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:21 AM
SwedeAmerican

You guys are DEFINITELY winning game 7

You guys are DEFINITELY winning game 7, no doubt. As a Ranger fan I've seen this script before. Ovie and Carlson will screw as as usual, and especially Chimera will score and troll us Rangers fans with that dopey smile he made after the goal he scored last night. The Caps have always been our playoff kryptonite and you guys should be VERY confident. Tortarella is single-handedly losing this series for us by playing guys like Fedetenko, Prust, Rupp, Mitchell a lot and not playing a guy like Kreider enough. Holtby (and all his routine glove saves that he embellishes and makes look spectacular and makes Ranger haters Doc Emrick and Eddie Olcyck go nuts) will continue to troll us as well and be this years Beaupre/Valarmov/Neuvirth. WHEN you win game 7 please do us all a huge favor and beat the devils. Thanks.

SwedeAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Though well-meaning, this thread sucks.

Aim High.

We are going to win Game 7.

Monomaniacal, elevated thoughts only.
LOL.

I've been a Caps fan for 35 years. Well meaning or not, its a reality.

You're telling me that you expected this? If you say you did, I'm calling you a liar.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:27 AM
CaptainKonoForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
You guys are DEFINITELY winning game 7, no doubt. As a Ranger fan I've seen this script before. Ovie and Carlson will screw as as usual, and especially Chimera will score and troll us Rangers fans with that dopey smile he made after the goal he scored last night. The Caps have always been our playoff kryptonite and you guys should be VERY confident. Tortarella is single-handedly losing this series for us by playing guys like Fedetenko, Prust, Rupp, Mitchell a lot and not playing a guy like Kreider enough. Holtby (and all his routine glove saves that he embellishes and makes look spectacular and makes Ranger haters Doc Emrick and Eddie Olcyck go nuts) will continue to troll us as well and be this years Beaupre/Valarmov/Neuvirth. WHEN you win game 7 please do us all a huge favor and beat the devils. Thanks.
No...no...no. Don't you pull reverse psychology on us. Our franchise has worse luck than yours.

CaptainKonoForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Yeah, this. **** this whole thread, honestly.
How do you really feel?

Good Lord.

I find it funny for all the chest thumping I am seeing here. Get real people. Obviously I hope we win, but all of this internet tough guy crap is a joke. Caps have exceeded almost *everyones* expectations from March.

Almost all of you wrote this team off back then (including me). To state otherwise is revisionist history.

Point of all of this is to enjoy the ride, and this team. Caps beat the defending champs (never done that before), and are about to lock horns with the #1 seed in the east. NO CAPS team has ever taken down the #1 and #2 seeds in the playoffs in the first few rounds, and frankly, very few teams have done it in total.

So yeah, I am happy with what they've done, and were they to lose game 7, I'm not going to get all aggro about it and start calling for heads. That time is past.

Doesnt mean I'm accepting a loss, but I amnot going to commit Hari-Kari either.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:35 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
How do you really feel?

Good Lord.

I find it funny for all the chest thumping I am seeing here. Get real people. Obviously I hope we win, but all of this internet tough guy crap is a joke. Caps have exceeded almost *everyones* expectations from March.

Almost all of you wrote this team off back then (including me). To state otherwise is revisionist history.

Point of all of this is to enjoy the ride, and this team. Caps beat the defending champs (never done that before), and are about to lock horns with the #1 seed in the east. NO CAPS team has ever taken down the #1 and #2 seeds in the playoffs in the first few rounds, and frankly, very few teams have done it in total.

So yeah, I am happy with what they've done, and were they to lose game 7, I'm not going to get all aggro about it and start calling for heads. That time is past.

I don't think you understand what an internet tough guy is.

And, if I'm being honest, this whole 'whatever happens, I'll be proud' stuff is a losing mentality.

Let's say they come out with a crap effort level and get blown out. Will you still be proud then?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:45 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
You guys are DEFINITELY winning game 7, no doubt. As a Ranger fan I've seen this script before. Ovie and Carlson will screw as as usual, and especially Chimera will score and troll us Rangers fans with that dopey smile he made after the goal he scored last night. The Caps have always been our playoff kryptonite and you guys should be VERY confident.
Alert, alert, full-on major ninja reverse-psychology infiltration alert. Activate airlock system, secure the perimeter. Alert.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:45 AM
txpd

Quote:
How do you really feel?

Good Lord.

lets get real. ive watched them try hard and lose for a long time. the langway caps and the kono caps didnt lose for lack of effort. they just lost. this dale hunter team is no better than any of those teams if they leave their hearts and souls laying on the ice AND LOSE.

they need to win. dale is not playing these games with an eye on us enjoying them. they are painful to watch game to game. i am willing to put up with it if they win.

@swedeamerican: Doc and Edzo, Rangers haters?? Good god, dude. Wake the "F" up. Edzo won a cup as a Rangers. Doc has lived in the NYC Metro for 20 years. He refers on air to Capitals power plays as Rangers penalty kills.

As a Penguins alum there is SQUAT on the table that says Edzo thinks about the Caps first, period.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

rangers starting planning their cup parade and selling tickets for the next round after game 5. Nice try but thats not gonna reservse the bad karma from the hockey gods

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:51 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
As a Penguins alum there is SQUAT on the table that says Edzo thinks about the Caps first, period.
Olczyk also played for the Rangers for a couple years. I don't see any love for the caps on his end.

swedeamerican is probably just a Pens/Devils fan trying to stir the pot and rile up both sides. The low post count at playoff time is a usual giveaway.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
I don't think you understand what an internet tough guy is.

And, if I'm being honest, this whole 'whatever happens, I'll be proud' stuff is a losing mentality.

Let's say they come out with a crap effort level and get blown out. Will you still be proud then?
I understand it, thanks.

Yes, if they get blown out, I will still be proud of what this team turned into, and what they are becoming.

Its 3 years too late, but thats a story for another day.

I *finally* feel like this team has a realistic shot at winning the whole shebang. This year would be epic, but I dont feel like the window will close if it doesn't.

Rome wasnt built in a day, and whatever happens on Saturday, this is REAL progress, for once. Unlike last year, and unlike 2010.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:04 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

No, apparently you don't understand it. But whatever.

Like brs said, I'm not giving this team a pass for playing like crap most of the regular season, and making themselves a lower seed in the playoffs.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:09 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
lets get real. ive watched them try hard and lose for a long time. the langway caps and the kono caps didnt lose for lack of effort. they just lost. this dale hunter team is no better than any of those teams if they leave their hearts and souls laying on the ice AND LOSE.

they need to win. dale is not playing these games with an eye on us enjoying them. they are painful to watch game to game. i am willing to put up with it if they win.

@swedeamerican: Doc and Edzo, Rangers haters?? Good god, dude. Wake the "F" up. Edzo won a cup as a Rangers. Doc has lived in the NYC Metro for 20 years. He refers on air to Capitals power plays as Rangers penalty kills.

all of this.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:15 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Olczyk also played for the Rangers for a couple years. I don't see any love for the caps on his end..
that was in the post. edzo played on the 94 cup team.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:15 PM
WcRoenick97

This was supposed to be arguably the most talented Caps team ever coming into the season, and they played like it the first couple weeks of the season. Then they went into a tailspin and managed to right the ship right before the playoffs. I said Neuvirth going down would be a blessing in disguise, because Holtby had the boom/bust factor that medium Neuvirth lacked. After we beat Boston I told myself "if Philly gets knocked out, we have a chance to go to the Cup." Well, now that has happened and I fully believe Washington goes to the Cup if they win Saturday. This game is huge Saturday. History tells me we aren't going to win, but the resilience of this team tells me otherwise. I'm not going to be content with this showing if they bow out Saturday. This is a PRIME opportunity.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:16 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
I'm not giving this team a pass for playing like crap most of the regular season, and making themselves a lower seed in the playoffs.
i am. it was genius.

seriously, i too was frustrated and disappointed by the regular season, but i much prefer going into game 7 as a 7 seed. we never did jack as a 1 seed. and i do believe DH has a tough, calm, no-panic approach which has suited the team very well so far in postseason. they are bouncing back from tough losses better than in past.

but finally, hell yes, no more moral victories. you don't know when you get a chance again. after we lost in 7 to pens and they went on to win it, i thought, 'well next year we're going to get over the hump.' but we didn't. and the year after that, we didn't.

you don't know when you'll be back again. take care of business now.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Duke33

Quote:
I understand it, thanks.

Yes, if they get blown out, I will still be proud of what this team turned into, and what they are becoming.

Its 3 years too late, but thats a story for another day.

I *finally* feel like this team has a realistic shot at winning the whole shebang. This year would be epic, but I dont feel like the window will close if it doesn't.

Rome wasnt built in a day, and whatever happens on Saturday, this is REAL progress, for once. Unlike last year, and unlike 2010.
Honestly though, they haven't turned into anything yet. If they lose Saturday then they've gone no farther than Bruce's furthest point...so what has changed? If they win then fantastic. But do they have an identity even? Seems like a toss of the coin each night....that's strategy?

People say they're more defensive, they block a ton of shots, etc....but has anyone considered why they block so many? NY has the puck all the time....for an allegedly defensive-oriented team or one that is finally playing "the right way" they sure leave a razor-thin margin for error each game. Defensive teams don't blow games with 7 seconds left. This team still doesn't have a killer instinct and they can't even win a faceoff or get/hold the puck long enough to get an empty net goal. As soon as they get it, NY takes it back.

I do think they have a realistic shot to win the whole thing, but so do the Rangers, Devils, Coyotes and Kings. This isn't progress, not yet. Besides who knows how this team win or lose will change in the offseason so we don't even know how they'll be in the future.

Just win.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:

Like brs said, I'm not giving this team a pass for playing like crap most of the regular season, and making themselves a lower seed in the playoffs.
anyone that acts with bravado and tosses around words like **** and **** while on a message board is an "internet tough guy", in my book. If that doesnt fit your urban dictionary, then "but whatever" works for me.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:35 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Honestly though, they haven't turned into anything yet. If they lose Saturday then they've gone no farther than Bruce's furthest point...so what has changed? If they win then fantastic. But do they have an identity even? Seems like a toss of the coin each night....that's strategy?

People say they're more defensive, they block a ton of shots, etc....but has anyone considered why they block so many? NY has the puck all the time....for an allegedly defensive-oriented team or one that is finally playing "the right way" they sure leave a razor-thin margin for error each game. Defensive teams don't blow games with 7 seconds left. This team still doesn't have a killer instinct and they can't even win a faceoff or get/hold the puck long enough to get an empty net goal. As soon as they get it, NY takes it back.

I do think they have a realistic shot to win the whole thing, but so do the Rangers, Devils, Coyotes and Kings. This isn't progress, not yet. Besides who knows how this team win or lose will change in the offseason so we don't even know how they'll be in the future.

Just win.
Agree with everything here. They'll be a defensive team when they can win more battles in the defensive zone and not get cycled to death. I don't know if a coaching adjustment that needs to be made, or a personnel issue. But I can guarantee you that Dale would surely prefer that the Rags weren't able to cycle and keep the offensive zone for minutes at a time.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post

Just win.
Just win makes everyone happy, obviously.

If you guys dont want to see the strides, then thats fine too.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Mothra

Quote:

who cares about the regular season? Once the playoffs start it really doesnt matter much IMO......

Im not sure what you are asking for or complaining about though.....this is a team that bowed out easliy in the 2nd round last season, was the regular season really that hard to imagine? Add in a coaching change, losing the only legit offensive center for half the season (as well as 52 for most of it), and below average goaltending....and it just seems like its complaining just to complain....wether you agree with the way they play hockey now, that doesnt change without some discomfort

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Agree with everything here. They'll be a defensive team when they can win more battles in the defensive zone and not get cycled to death. I don't know if a coaching adjustment that needs to be made, or a personnel issue. But I can guarantee you that Dale would surely prefer that the Rags weren't able to cycle and keep the offensive zone for minutes at a time.
while personnel or adjustment can always help.....I think much of this is the old "they pay the other team too"

Caps pin them too.....im pretty sure Torts would prefer that didnt happen

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote