HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Nashville has offered 7.5 million. Is it that much of a difference in 7.5 and 8 million
Then you factor in endoresment money and a guy like Suter and Weber for that fact make more in endoresments playing for a large media centric team than playing in a small market small media centre like Fla Tampa Nashville etc. So this doesn't fall strictly on salary from the team.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
bananaslug

vCash: 500
Quote:
I feel he can do that though
Yeah but it's what Suter feels not what any one else feels regardless of how wrong it could potentially be

Old
05-09-2012, 09:57 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
Yeah but it's what Suter feels not what any one else feels regardless of how wrong it could potentially be
poile offered rinne, weber, suter all fair money. told suter if he signed and wanted, we'd go after parise in the summer. have guys like wilson, ellis, and smith developing HERE. went out and got 3 great pieces for a run.. gaustad, gill, kostitsyn.. and got radulov to come back with us.. "the most talented player not in the NHL" .....

uh yeah, save the bologna. I prefer turkey.

get out suter.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:17 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

I'd love to have Suter back...but he's an UFA, and it's up to him to choose. As much as we would like to think he's "betraying" us if he doesn't take a contract offer...even a competitive one...the decision is completely up to him. Some guys feel a loyalty towards one franchise, their teammates, and the fans, and they never ever want to leave. Others just want to play hockey (and get paid well while doing it) and have different experiences with different teams. I can't fault either type.

At the end of the day, we can't twist his arm and force him to sign on the line that is dotted. Plus, I don't want for him to sign here out of obligation. I want him to sign here if he wants to be here. Otherwise, he's done his mileage, and he's earned the right to explore elsewhere.

Good luck to Ryan, in whatever his decision may be.

Last edited by KevFist: 05-10-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Probably not the best idea. you're welcome. ;)
Old
05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
deanwormer

Dear Ryan - be careful in those big markets, you've proven you have zero media skills.

Been fun watching you from draft day to being recognized as the top 10 Dman you are. You've known for a long time you weren't gonna' be back - that's fine, but you shouldn't have lied to Poile or the fans. Don't do it in your next stop.

You'll get my cheers in the tribute video, but I hope Shea buries you in a corner right after.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Dear Ryan,

We know you aren't confident in our team and you and your elite hockey family are probably steering you towards Detroit. I hope you and the Wings are a match made in heaven like you've always dreamed of. Have fun d***** bag,

Sincerely,
Everyone here

Old
05-10-2012, 03:29 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Dear Ryan Suter,

Thank you for your years as a Predator. By being the very good defense-man that you are, you have earned the right to play wherever you want and for whomever you want.

However, I really feel Nashville is the best place for you.

You currently have the best partner for you in Shea Weber. He's not just some random good complimentary defense-man, he's a norris trophy candidate. You and Weber currently form one of the best pairs of defense in the entire league. If you and he choose to stay together in Nashville, you could form a dominant, legendary, and possibly Hall of Fame pair.

The Predators organization is currently a team that is on the way up. You know what is in the locker room in Pekka Rinne, Colin Wilson, Craig Smith, Gabriel Bourque, Roman Josi, Ryan Ellis, among others. You have a vezina candidate goalie that has made the commitment and signed long term. You have stability in the coaching staff and general manager's office.

You asked for David Poile to show a commitment to winning. And you also said it wasn't about the big splash, but the right one. David Poile went out and brought in 3 key pieces at the trade deadline. He then brought back "the best player not in the NHL". Those moves were universally heralded and landed us as a true contender.

The city and fans and businesses have embraced the Predators like never before, and it's growing each and every day. This season we had 30 consecutive sellouts dating back to January 7. Our owners have stepped up and allowed David Poile to assemble a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup without any financial constraints.

You have been known to enjoy the simpler lifestyle. The city of Nashville is a wonderful place to raise a family. It offers many of the same things that large urban cities have but also retains that small-town, family oriented, community feel. As someone that has resided here for the last 5 years you already know the financial advantages you enjoy here as compared to some other cities. You have said you enjoy being able to be out of the spotlight and media crush.

Ryan Suter, you being on this team makes it a better team. If you leave, the team will not be as good. You on the roster increases our chances of winning the Cup. The fans and city are standing with you. Will you choose to Stand With Us?

Signed,
A Day One Season Ticket Holder

PS. If you honestly look at the Detroit team, that we just took out in 5 games, and think it is on the way up and it's a better situation than Nashville, then I think you need to be checked for dementia. I will not cheer you at all.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:12 AM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Dear Ryan Suter,

Thank you for your years as a Predator. By being the very good defense-man that you are, you have earned the right to play wherever you want and for whomever you want.

However, I really feel Nashville is the best place for you.

You currently have the best partner for you in Shea Weber. He's not just some random good complimentary defense-man, he's a norris trophy candidate. You and Weber currently form one of the best pairs of defense in the entire league. If you and he choose to stay together in Nashville, you could form a dominant, legendary, and possibly Hall of Fame pair.

The Predators organization is currently a team that is on the way up. You know what is in the locker room in Pekka Rinne, Colin Wilson, Craig Smith, Gabriel Bourque, Roman Josi, Ryan Ellis, among others. You have a vezina candidate goalie that has made the commitment and signed long term. You have stability in the coaching staff and general manager's office.

You asked for David Poile to show a commitment to winning. And you also said it wasn't about the big splash, but the right one. David Poile went out and brought in 3 key pieces at the trade deadline. He then brought back "the best player not in the NHL". Those moves were universally heralded and landed us as a true contender.

The city and fans and businesses have embraced the Predators like never before, and it's growing each and every day. This season we had 30 consecutive sellouts dating back to January 7. Our owners have stepped up and allowed David Poile to assemble a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup without any financial constraints.

You have been known to enjoy the simpler lifestyle. The city of Nashville is a wonderful place to raise a family. It offers many of the same things that large urban cities have but also retains that small-town, family oriented, community feel. As someone that has resided here for the last 5 years you already know the financial advantages you enjoy here as compared to some other cities. You have said you enjoy being able to be out of the spotlight and media crush.

Ryan Suter, you being on this team makes it a better team. If you leave, the team will not be as good. You on the roster increases our chances of winning the Cup. The fans and city are standing with you. Will you choose to Stand With Us?

Signed,
A Day One Season Ticket Holder

PS. If you honestly look at the Detroit team, that we just took out in 5 games, and think it is on the way up and it's a better situation than Nashville, then I think you need to be checked for dementia. I will not cheer you at all.
If only 1 letter could be sent to Mr. Suter, I choose THIS one. No further meeting needed with Mr. Poile, Mr. Trotz, Mr. Weber, a Preds Dancer, Mrs. Mike Fisher, or even Taylor Swift. Just get this letter to him, and let what will be, be.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:43 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
The Sporting News needs to at least fact check. I believe Suter was born in Wisconsin not Minnesota
Yes, he was born in Madison, went to a Military Academy in Indiana then to the U.S. Development Team of the USHL in Ann Arbor, Michigan and then to Wisconsin for one year of college.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:07 AM
pekkaslap

So is the "Dear Shea Weber," thread next?

Old
05-10-2012, 08:42 AM
VFL615*

Dear Ryan Suter,

I understand where you are coming from wanting to be on a team that always has a legitamite shot at winning a Stanley Cup. Has Nashville always done things in a manner where it looked like they would do whatever it takes for a championship, No. However, you will never feel the enjoyment of what it is like to win a cup by earning it the hard way and not buy buying a cup like Detroit, NY and others have the luxury of doing. Its like a kid who appreciates the car he worked his butt of during the summer for compared to the one who had a new benz handed to him for his 16th birthday Enjoy the easy way to a cup Ryan. You really proved after you made your mind up probably last summer that you are not the blue collar player the Predators really want and need.

In all i wish you the best of luck and hope you are not to emotional when you realize how good you really had it in Nashville. Myself and i am sure other fans deep down inside are happy you are leaving to free up the the amount of money you are going to be asking for to be Robin behind Weber (Batman). I hope this young organization learned a lot from you and will never make the same mistake again.

Sinceryly
Preds Nation

Old
05-10-2012, 08:48 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Dear Ryan - be careful in those big markets, you've proven you have zero media skills.

Been fun watching you from draft day to being recognized as the top 10 Dman you are. You've known for a long time you weren't gonna' be back - that's fine, but you shouldn't have lied to Poile or the fans. Don't do it in your next stop.

You'll get my cheers in the tribute video, but I hope Shea buries you in a corner right after.
here is the main reason people are irritated with Suter..... and his lack of play since the all star game..

you won't get my cheers in a tribute video... frankly, I think this stupid tribute videos are ridiculous... you don't cheer someone just because they have "worked" for you and have come back to "work" against you.... ridiculous...

if suter had won the cup with us and then come back, maybe a tribute video for being part of an amazing feat....
but he's had no amazing feat with us, nothing except playing with us for a handful of years....
that's it, just a player that played and left...... I think the tribute videos for anything other than extraordinary are lame and bush league...
The only one that was warranted was for Vokoun..... he was committed to us and liarpold did that to him...

so, since you did lie..... i hope you end up in an enormous media market and have tons of attention on your play and your life....

Old
05-10-2012, 09:19 AM
RaiderDoug

Dear Ryan Suter,

One thing I have learned this year is that a team with clearly inferior talent, should it choose to buy in and play with all it's heart and soul, and composed of 25 guys willing to go to war with each other is more than a match for a team of 25 individuals, several of whom were thrown together at the last minute, with players who have already checked out because they're thinking of $$$$ 3 months down the road.

Enjoy Detroit, or Philly (have fun in front of Brzyz!), or wherever.

Thanks!

RaiderDoug

P.S. Hot goalies win. Who will be consistently better in the NHL than Pekka Rinne over the next 5 years?

Old
05-10-2012, 09:27 AM
sighthndlady

Dear Ryan:

We suffered through your learning days. Some of those games we lost were on you, bucko. And we suffered through your whining when you were just a kid and Trotz made you sit and think about it. We all knew then you had Norris potential. Poile recognized it and Trotz molded you into it. And if you stay in Nashville and Shea stays too, you probably won't ever win one. We get that. You've gotten everything out of Nashville that you needed to get from the team that drafted you, and maybe now it's time to move on. But don't pretend it's because the team isn't committed to winning, or that it's got anything to do with the money. You want to be #1. You should have said so last fall, played your best hockey ever this year to demonstrate that ultimately it's the logo on the front and not the name on the back, and left in good grace instead of jerking everyone's chain. I can't believe you would pretend for even a minute that your family has anything to do with it, unless you end up on the Hawks and living in Geneva. Anything else is utter BS.

You will find it very hard to fill Mr. Lidstrom's boots.

So sorry I ever bought that jersey.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

Just to throw a few nice things in about Detroit, Comerica and Ford Field are really really nice places to watch a game.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I understand where Suter is coming from. He wants to play on a team that's a contender year in and year and and is financially stable. Has Nashville proven that yet? I don't know, and apparently neither does he. His reasons didn't seem selfish either, he doesn't want to continue to put his family through moves. Sounded to me like he only wants to do this once, if at all. It's not as easy as we make it out to be. I'm sure he loves Nashville's weather, schools, people etc, but the ups and down this team has gone through might have him worried, it would me.

Having said that I hope he stays, if he doesn't though, I feel Josi can easily replace him. I really don't know how smart it would be to lock 22m up long term on 3 players, would that put a forever handicap on the team balance?

Old
05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Preds311

Dear Ryan Suter,

Thank you for your time in Smashville so far. You have earned the right as a UFA to decide what is best for you and your family. If you choose Smashville, great and if not the best of luck. Been a pleasure watching you grow into a great Dman.

All of the hate in this thread is laughable. Suter has earned the right to see what is out there and maximize on that. Suter doesn't owe anything to Nashville or the fans.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

He is not going to Detroit.

05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
Suter doesn't owe anything to Nashville or the fans.
In terms of service? No, absolutely not. In terms of honesty? Yeah, he does.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
In terms of service? No, absolutely not. In terms of honesty? Yeah, he does.
No, he represented Nashville and his contract very well. He isn't media savvy so really doesn't matter what he did or did not say. Has no bearing on how he represented Nashville or his contract.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:10 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Suter has said he is going to take time to wind down before he makes a decision. That makes sense, and he has that right. He has a wife and a kid to worry about. This decision is incredibly important.

And you know, the angle of "the season has too many distractions for me to make this decision correctly" is something I never really thought about. We were all so caught up thinking how it could possibly distract the team more than his comments, and no one really ever thought about it from that angle.

If he comes back, great. We just need a third pairing vet.

If he move on, good for him. He has worked his ass off for his entire life, and now it has paid off in the sense that he can pretty much pick where he wants to play for the rest of his career. All of us would love to have the chance to do what we love in the place we want to do it.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:13 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
No, he represented Nashville and his contract very well. He isn't media savvy so really doesn't matter what he did or did not say. Has no bearing on how he represented Nashville or his contract.
He absolutely owes us to be honest and forthcoming. If he came out when he made up his mind and said I really want to play elsewhere then there would be no issue.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Preds311

Quote:
He absolutely owes us to be honest and forthcoming. If he came out when he made up his mind and said I really want to play elsewhere then there would be no issue.
No he doesn't have to be honest and forthcoming to anyone except his family and the Almighty. I am in the camp that he hasn't made up his mind yet. It is a very large decision.

Of course there would have been issues if he flat out said "I'll be playing for the next 3 months in Nashville, then I'll be gone so don't worry. " Would have had posters saying he ruined team chemistry, unity, etc.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Let's not forget that if Suter comes out soon and says that he is going to stay in Nashville he locks himself into Nashville. If he changes his mind by July 1 other teams have likely put their eggs in other baskets.

If he says he isn't going to stay in Nashville and changes his mind by July 1 then Poile has already begun putting his eggs in another basket.

It doesn't mean he can't say something now without being able to do something different in the future, but give the guy some time. No one can prove anything he said to the media, local or national, was truthful anymore than anyone can prove he was lying.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:25 PM
predfan98

Quote:
This is totally wrong....He has been representing himself and the Nashville Predators for years....
He is the player that the sales reps take the people to before games to talk to.. He is smooth and polished in person... He would make a fantastic politician. He is very aware of his personal image...
He just waffled on this issue and got caught in waffling/ to fans...and then the national media pounced at the all star game.... He just got spoiled here with people giving him respect and thought he could bluff his way thru all this.. And didn't like what happened when he couldn't.
All these players are very media savvy..

He said during december, he wanted to get a deal done... if you want to search the fishwrap for it.

Closed Thread