HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Earth to Callahan!

Old
05-10-2012, 01:00 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Can any of you name any lengthy stretch in the last 4 years where Callahan has not played well? If a player has a history of being one of the most consistent, hardest working, and most impactful players in the league, shift after shift, game after game, season after season, isn't it pretty unreasonable to assume that all of a sudden, he's going to stop doing those things in probably the biggest moment of his career to date? Especially when you consider that he's being shifted all over the lineup? Isn't it more reasonable to assume that there's something that might be causing such an uncharacteristic performance, like an injury?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Cally moves around the line-up a lot. Right now, he is playing with Boyle and Anisimov. While Anisimov has talent, playing on that line puts it as a shutdown type line. He's out there against Ovechkin a lot in a shutdown role.

I think he needs to produce offensively, but needs help from the more skilled players in the line-up. My guess is the USA line is put back together for the next game. He looked great with Step and Kreider on his line. I wouldn't mind if Artie was the center on that line either, although having Artie on the 3rd line would be ideal for me.

Hags-Richie-Gabby
Kreider-Step-Cally
Artie-Boyle-Feds
Prust-Mitchell-Rupp

The 3rd line becomes the shutdown line and this team gains a 2nd line that can produce offensively. The 4th line isn't terrible at all either. Kreider becomes useful on that line and can jump start players like he did in game 6 vs Ottawa.
I'm praying that we see those lines (or the same thing with Step and Anisimov switched) in game 7.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:07 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Can any of you name any lengthy stretch in the last 4 years where Callahan has not played well? If a player has a history of being one of the most consistent, hardest working, and most impactful players in the league, shift after shift, game after game, season after season, isn't it pretty unreasonable to assume that all of a sudden, he's going to stop doing those things in probably the biggest moment of his career to date? Especially when you consider that he's being shifted all over the lineup? Isn't it more reasonable to assume that there's something that might be causing such an uncharacteristic performance, like an injury?
I think plenty of people are assuming that.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Well put,there blame is misguided, my money's on the real Captain showing up Saturday night,

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but to be honest things like the bad penalties Callahan has been taking have nothing to do with whether he's injured or not. If you can't contbribute in some ways, DON"T contribute by handing power plays to the opposition on stupid, lazy penalties.

That said, I think at this point about half the guys out there are playing banged up and have been finding a way. Champions overcome obstacles.

Jersey Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:15 PM
vbman09

vCash: 100
Cally will show up as well as the team, We just need to stay away from dumb needles penalties.

IN CALLY WE TRUST

vbman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbman09 View Post
Cally will show up as well as the team, IN CALLY WE TRUST
Captain Courageous

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

He's in his skin.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
How dare you talk bad about our American-born, Ranger's-groomed captain.

I think you're way out of line here!

Let the man continue to take stupid penalties and turn the puck over in piece! Just continue on complaining about Gaborik, he's a soft euro that wasn't Ranger-raised and only has 3 goals his last 4 games.

It's not just Cally. There are a lot of "talented" forwards that are M.I.A in this series.
So new and improved..Im amazed!!!!!!!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:31 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I understand what you're saying, but to be honest things like the bad penalties Callahan has been taking have nothing to do with whether he's injured or not. If you can't contbribute in some ways, DON"T contribute by handing power plays to the opposition on stupid, lazy penalties.
They don't? You know exactly what injuries he may have and how they are affecting his play?

Quote:
That said, I think at this point about half the guys out there are playing banged up and have been finding a way. Champions overcome obstacles.
But do half the guys deserve the benefit of the doubt based on character that has been proven through time? I think very few players deserve that benefit of the doubt. On this team, perhaps just two or three. He's one of them. Champions in this sport are teams, and this team still has a number of weaknesses, all of which have been exposed during these playoffs, primarily the need to get even more offensive ability.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Callahan gets the benefit of the doubt with me. Somethings not right there.

But for this thread to appear now is a bit of a cheapshot. The entire team stunk last night, outside of Lundqvist. Honestly, I cant think of one position player that actually played well.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
They don't? You know exactly what injuries he may have and how they are affecting his play?
LOL if you want to think he's so injured he can't help but trip a Cap player 150 feet from Hank...you go right ahead.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Jim Morrison

So Callahan is injured? Fine. Don't play him then. He's doing more harm than good now, so it won't matter if he's in the lineup or not. Especially if he's injured. He should just rest if that's the case.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Dangleberry

I can't believe this. He has one bad game and everyone is calling for his head.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
One bad game? Try a horrible series. As our captain.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
How dare you talk bad about our American-born, Ranger's-groomed captain.

I think you're way out of line here!

Let the man continue to take stupid penalties and turn the puck over in piece! Just continue on complaining about Gaborik, he's a soft euro that wasn't Ranger-raised and only has 3 goals his last 4 games.

It's not just Cally. There are a lot of "talented" forwards that are M.I.A in this series.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Melo-dramatic much? People are just hoping he'll play better.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Dude its NYR HfBoards what do you expect.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:51 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
I don't see anyone calling for his head.

The hyperbole and exaggeration on these boards is what leads to the pissing matches.

People want to discuss Callahan's play being below it's usual standard and him possibly being injured. Mega-huge Callahan fans can't allow anyone to speak ill of him or even suggest he isn't the hardest working, most admirable, blue collar, heart and soul, working class hero of American hockey and so they respond with snide remarks, sweeping generalizations of EVERYONE in the thread, even when it's usually only one or two posters who say something ridiculous, grossly exaggerate the sentiment of everyone they disagree with, dismiss the opinions of anyone they disagree with, and do so as if their opinion is the absolute truth. Next thing you know, we're arguing over the right to express an opinion (on an online forum! oh dear) or the quality of one anothers' hockey knowledge rather than just discussing the topic at hand. Good stuff.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Whose calling for his head? Has there been ONE trading proposal in this thread? NO. We're just discussing why his play has not been very Cally-like in this series. Overreaction much?

I guess every post about Callahan should go like this:
"Ryan Callahan is the best, hardest-working, most skilled captain in the NHL and is Captain America!!"

What? We can't criticize him for continuing to spin around in the offensive zone, send blind backhand passes to the slot, and trip Caps players in the offensive zone? I'm sorry I misspoke about our American captain. He is going to be perfect 100% of the time.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Rangers1985

Even for the most blind Callahan supporter, and lets be honest, hes extremely high on all of our lists, you cannot defend just a stupid tripping penalty he took.

Deliberately put his stick between the legs.. If anything just ****ing let the stick go.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:28 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1388 View Post
Captain O' Captain! WHERE ARE YOU?!
In the penalty box.

...With the absence of Dubinsky, someone had to take the roll and Fedotenko wasn't stepping up like he normally does, soooooo...

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:34 PM
JCrusher*

i like cally but to be fair he hasn't been too effective in this series. now i think he is due for a big game so if he does that i think people will forget about a few bad games

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:51 PM
ncmike

Quote:
totally agree. He, more than anyone gets a pass. Just a question though. If you were told at the beginning of the season that the team would be going to a game 7 to advance to the conference finals, would anyone out there have been unhappy with that outcome. This was supposed to be their year to grow and then compete for the cup in another year or two. They still have a darn good chance to move on with a legitimate shot of making the finals.

ncmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He's been gifted minutes with Richards, Stepan and literally everyone else in the lineup. He is a big part of the problem with this team.
Really? Because I thought he scored around 30 goals this season... weird.

That's not to say that he hasn't been playing like he normally does these past couple of games. He needs to get back on his game asap.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote