HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 13.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I was the one who made the Spezza comparison. I was just stating in vaccuum you can't compare Grigs last year and Spezza in his draft since they are many different circumstances that make the situations unique.
One thing about Spezza: if my memory serves me correctly, he was pretty much the consensus no.2 pick after Kovalchuk.

Grigorenko's ranking is all over the map.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Evgeny Grigorenko or Jonathan Galchenyuk

no one else.
Do you mean Mikhail Grigorenko and Alex Galchenyuk?

Old
05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post

I think you missed something here...

Anyway, like it's been said, Grigorenko's play has nothing to do with Malkin's.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:

Not sure he was being literal. Unless I'm completely wrong, it looks like he changed the first names to match the players they've been compared to -> Malkin and Toews respectively

Old
05-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Madevilz

Quote:

^^^^^unaware

Old
05-10-2012, 01:35 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:

It's posts like these that keep me going.

Old
pine*

Quote:

No he meant Mikhail Malkin and Alex Toews

Old
habitue*

Got a feeling that we gonna end up with Yakupov !

Edmonton will pick Murray
Columbus will pick Galchenyuk

The next coach would have fun controlling two wild horses like Yakupov and Subban...

Old
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
I think you missed something here...

Anyway, like it's been said, Grigorenko's play has nothing to do with Malkin's.
Obviously I did.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Wow... why? because he's bigger?
Honestly, differentiating between which defenseman is better depends entirely on how you rate players. Some people would rather Shea Weber than Lidstrom. They may be looking for the meaner, rough and tumble guy with the big shot. Others might prefer the calm and effective manner that Lidstrom controls the game.

I like special qualities out of my defenseman. For me, I'd rather the guy who can change the game with a big hit on the back end, a big goal on the PP, or the end to end rush that makes something out of nothing. Murray will manage the game, be a safe player to have out there in all situations but I don't think he will excel anywhere and I don't think he's the guy who can change a game.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I don't think it's flawed logic. I just find it odd that Maatta and Reinhart have shown serious progression, yet they are ranked below a player that's been out almost all season.

I have a feeling either one or both of them will end up being picked before Rielly.
I think Reinhart get pick before Rieilly. Maataa ? i know he's having a strong playoff but is not a top10 to me and not even close to Rieilly

Old
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Honestly, differentiating between which defenseman is better depends entirely on how you rate players. Some people would rather Shea Weber than Lidstrom. They may be looking for the meaner, rough and tumble guy with the big shot. Others might prefer the calm and effective manner that Lidstrom controls the game.

I like special qualities out of my defenseman. For me, I'd rather the guy who can change the game with a big hit on the back end, a big goal on the PP, or the end to end rush that makes something out of nothing. Murray will manage the game, be a safe player to have out there in all situations but I don't think he will excel anywhere and I don't think he's the guy who can change a game.
But he would be well paired with Subban. Dumba is very similar to Subban in style of play. Which is awesome. But I like having a bit of the Ying and Yang in a defensive pair. TBH both Murray and Dumba will be good choices for a team in the top 10, and as you said, it's all in what that team wants.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Ginu

It'll come down to Yakupov or Galchenyuk. I believe Murray and Forsberg will go #1 and #2.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:03 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
But he would be well paired with Subban. Dumba is very similar to Subban in style of play. Which is awesome. But I like having a bit of the Ying and Yang in a defensive pair. TBH both Murray and Dumba will be good choices for a team in the top 10, and as you said, it's all in what that team wants.
I don't want a D with our pick at all. I am speaking out as a draft enthusiast not a Habs scout.

A Habs scout I'm not considering D until the later rounds knowing where our prospect pool lies. Unless someone too talented is available. I don't think Murray or Dumba are too talented to neglect the need of a game breaking forward.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
It'll come down to Yakupov or Galchenyuk. I believe Murray and Forsberg will go #1 and #2.
If Edmonton is picking Murray then they trade down.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I can't see Yakupov sliding to #3, he will go #1 either to Edmonton or by trade. Even in the unlikely event Edmonton passes I think CBJ would either risk another Russian or trade down.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
S Bah

Quote:
That appears to be a safe bet and I'm not sold on any of the Belarussian or Russians,Bergevin & Timmins get to interview them and put them through the Habs Combine after the original one in Toronto.They will know who they want after all those are done and if the draft order changes their draft list will predict from there.I have more confidence in the Habs now than any time since 1979-80 season finished.It looks like there will be order and stability from the top to the bottom of the organization again.Finally the decisions that are made will be well thought out and a winning attitude will permeate the system,drawing high profile UFA's to Montreal Canadiens once more.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:41 PM
shutehinside

Quote:

I think he's trying to compare them to Malkin and Toews.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:01 PM
NewHabsEra*

Personally I think Trouba will end up the best defenseman of this draft..

Old
05-10-2012, 04:09 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
One thing about Spezza: if my memory serves me correctly, he was pretty much the consensus no.2 pick after Kovalchuk.

Grigorenko's ranking is all over the map.
well it's not like the 2001 draft was loaded at the top end. I'm curious where Grigs would be ranked if he had grownup in NA and developed completely in the CHL...

Old
05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
shamrun

Quote:
I guess we take yakupov, call pleckanec and tell him we found a winger for him.

Old
05-10-2012, 05:13 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
I agree. That's how I see it coming down as well. If it does, interesting question, who will Timmins go for, Yaks or Gals? I think those 2 are a lot closer than most people think.

Old
05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I can't see Yakupov sliding to #3, he will go #1 either to Edmonton or by trade. Even in the unlikely event Edmonton passes I think CBJ would either risk another Russian or trade down.
I think trading down this year is riskier than other years because it's anyone's guess who any team will take or really wants. We speculate here but there's nothing lost if we're wrong. If Edmonton and CBJ speculate and are wrong, they could lose out on the guy they want. Now if they're happy with one of a few different guys fine, trade down, but if they have one guy in particular they want, like Murray and Forsberg, they better grab them or they might not be there when their turn rolls around if they trade down.

Old
05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
I think trading down this year is riskier than other years because it's anyone's guess who any team will take or really wants. We speculate here but there's nothing lost if we're wrong. If Edmonton and CBJ speculate and are wrong, they could lose out on the guy they want. Now if they're happy with one of a few different guys fine, trade down, but if they have one guy in particular they want, like Murray and Forsberg, they better grab them or they might not be there when their turn rolls around if they trade down.
Most people have the top 6-7 guys pretty close so missing out one one guy means there could be one as good there to draft. If Edmonton trades from #1 to #5 I'm sure they have 2-3 guys that they know they have to chose from.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Most people have the top 6-7 guys pretty close so missing out one one guy means there could be one as good there to draft. If Edmonton trades from #1 to #5 I'm sure they have 2-3 guys that they know they have to chose from.
I'm pretty sure the top 7 will be a lot different from one team to another. It's always like that...

Closed Thread