HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Capitals

Old
05-10-2012, 02:50 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I don't know if you could say that the Rangers even deserve to win the series at this point. I really hope they do, but can you look at this series objectively and say that they've been the better team? They are one 3OT goal and one 7-seconds-remaining miracle goal away from being eliminated already.
My biggest frustration is that Chris Kreider was a force who clearly changed the complexion of the team and he has been stapled to the bench for 3 games after making one rookie mistake with a bad pass. Seriously, the kid was all over the hockey media and fans of opposing teams were dying to find a player like him.. and he is being completely wasted at this point. Remember Pierre's "we're seeing a star in the making" as Kreider was flying down the ice against the Sens?

The Caps were able to shut down the Hags/Richie/Gabby line last night and there was no other offense being provided whatsoever. When we had the Kreider/Step/Callahan line it felt like we finally had a legit top 6 and now we're back to one first line (that the other team can focus all their D on) and a bunch of grinders who are no threat to score.

I hate arguments like these. They DID score in 3OT. They did get a miracle.This happens in the playoffs EVERY year to OTHER teams.

IF they don't score in 3OT and Washington does, who's to say the context of THAT following Game 4 isn't different? Or Game 6 isn't different.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
Where does everybody not see the effort not being put in? Was I watching a different game? I saw a hell of an effort from Hank(as usual).

They lost by A GOAL. I get it was scored at the end of the game. The sky is still over my head....

The Caps looked like a desperate hockey team. Sometimes you have to admit when the OTHER TEAM does a little bit more.Maybe give them some credit which hardly happens here.

What the **** makes anyone think Torts is going to be fired? Stop eating paint chips.

And to question the heart of this team is foolhardy, they have proven time and again how resilient they are.

Game 7. It gets no better, at the World's Most Famous Arena. Get PUMPED about that.

Game 6 is over quit loathing and basking in what has already happened.

LETS ****ING GO RANGERS!!!
Game 6 was one of the worst coached games i've ever seen. Caps didn't win the game, Torts lost it

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:54 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Something I think is a bit noteworthy to point out.

The Rangers have now seen what Washington looks like at their most desperate in person.

Washington has not seen this team at its most desperate in person.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Yankeekid07

What is your game 7 starting lineup?

Hags-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Cally
Anisimov-Boyle-Fedotenko
Rupp-Mitchell-Prust

Hagelin, while not scoring this series (like everyone else), I feel has been very good all playoffs. At the end of the year this line really clicked, so keep them with eachother. Kreider and Stepan looked at thier best this playoffs when playing together and I still have no idea why Torts refuses to put them back together. This line also hopefully jumpstarts Callahan's offensive game a little bit. I feel as if Fedotenko has had a very good playoffs, hes been great on the forecheck, creating chances and has really steped up in my opinion. Same goes for Mike Rupp, I felt last night he was one of thier better players...and he and Kreider didnt play.

McD-Girardi
MDZ-Staal
Eminger- Stralman

I do not understand why Stu Bickel is still playing in this series. While he plays a physical game, I always feel as if he is a liability when he is on the ice. Eminger is a solid defenceman and brings some offensive skill to the table, which Bickel doesnt have.

The King

Yankeekid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Torts isnt a tactician. He's a motivator, a strength and conditioning coach and a buffer.

I think a coach shouldn't lose to the same team under two different coaches and basically three rookie goalies 3 times in 4 years.

Is inexcuseable, quite frankly.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:06 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Game 6 was one of the worst coached games i've ever seen. Caps didn't win the game, Torts lost it
How can Torts lose when he doesn't skate?

Coaches can't win and lose games. Players do that.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Above and Beyond

I agree with OP on the forward combos 100%. Maybe substitute Anisimov for Kreider on the PP if he's "on" and deserving the opportunity.

I like the speed and skill of line 1 (they've been the biggest threat), you have to give line two a chance with Kreider, line 3 has the size and tenacity to work pucks deep, and line 4 is what it is. I think Mitchell is fine on the draw and Prust has played well, but they need a smaller role at this point.

I'd keep Bickel in though. The difference in skill between he and Eminger is small. One guy playing so few minutes shouldn't make the difference. Who knows if Eminger has the timing. Bickel has seen action and knows the opposition better.

Above and Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:10 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
I hate arguments like these. They DID score in 3OT. They did get a miracle.This happens in the playoffs EVERY year to OTHER teams.

IF they don't score in 3OT and Washington does, who's to say the context of THAT following Game 4 isn't different? Or Game 6 isn't different.
the butterfly effect

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:13 PM
BlaqICE

Send a message via ICQ to BlaqICE Send a message via AIM to BlaqICE Send a message via MSN to BlaqICE
Quote:

Exactly. Also, you could make the argument that we were playing better most of game 5 and Washington didn't deserve being up a goal with seconds left. Just because a team is leading in a game doesn't necessarily mean that they're out-playing the other team.

Furthermore, in 2007 we were 7.7 seconds away from winning game 5 against Buffalo and coming back to the Garden with an ~80% chance of winning that series and going on to the Eastern Conference Finals. I know it sounds cliche, but I've seen it way too many times watching hockey over the years, good teams find a way to win games like that. With the exception of game 6 last night, I've felt like any of the previous 5 games could have gone either way. Last series against Ottawa I felt that we had been out-played in 2 of the games going into Game 7. If we come out strong on Saturday, we'll be seeing Jersey in the ECF.

BlaqICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:13 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
the butterfly effect
Never heard of it.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:14 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Way View Post
I agree with OP on the forward combos 100%. Maybe substitute Anisimov for Kreider on the PP if he's "on" and deserving the opportunity.

I like the speed and skill of line 1 (they've been the biggest threat), you have to give line two a chance with Kreider, line 3 has the size and tenacity to work pucks deep, and line 4 is what it is. I think Mitchell is fine on the draw and Prust has played well, but they need a smaller role at this point.

I'd keep Bickel in though. The difference in skill between he and Eminger is small. One guy playing so few minutes shouldn't make the difference. Who knows if Eminger has the timing. Bickel has seen action and knows the opposition better.
Kreider should be given more playing time regardless. He made some bad plays so now that warrants him get more than half his ice time cut in half, according to Torts. Absurd. Torts can't keep rolling out non-talented guys like Mitchell, Prust, Rupp, etc. out there. Kreiderneeds to be given more time. Rookie, blah blah blah...I want him getting 15+ TOI or so.

Kreider-Stepan-Cally....please.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Rangers2319

Some of you guys who are not into sports gambling and dont follow it, it has been really interesting to see where public money is on a certain team and it has surprisingly been a great tell as to who will win certain games. Remember vegas rarely loses money so they will suck in that public money.

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Now that my bout of crippling depression has ended, I feel pretty damn good for Game 7.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
― Albert Einstein

That's what you see happening here.
On the PP, Richards skating the puck up the middle, with no support, only to be surrounded by all 4 PK'ers DOES NOT WORK.

Not covering Ovechkin in the slot has cost them three times does not work. Yet there he was yesterday, free in the slot with all the time and space in the world.

The retarded backhand pass from the corner to the slot. Not only does it not work, but it's always causing a turnover, leading to an odd man rush more often then not.

Shooting the puck at Holtby when there's a clear line of sight for him. Does NOT work either.

Shooting the puck at his pads for a rebound would work. Except there's a slight problem with that. You can't put rebounds in if you're behind the ******* net. But our forwards continue to stay there, even when the puck is back at the point.

Insanity, I tell you.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:46 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
― Albert Einstein

That's what you see happening here.
On the PP, Richards skating the puck up the middle, with no support, only to be surrounded by all 4 PK'ers DOES NOT WORK.

Not covering Ovechkin in the slot has cost them three times does not work. Yet there he was yesterday, free in the slot with all the time and space in the world.

The retarded backhand pass from the corner to the slot. Not only does it not work, but it's always causing a turnover, leading to an odd man rush more often then not.

Shooting the puck at Holtby when there's a clear line of sight for him. Does NOT work either.

Shooting the puck at his pads for a rebound would work. Except there's a slight problem with that. You can't put rebounds in if you're behind the ******* net. But our forwards continue to stay there, even when the puck is back at the point.

Insanity, I tell you.
Reading my mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Nobody said they are. But sticking with the same look failure after failure isn't a better option and consistently throwing Mitchell out there doesn't seem much more brilliant. He has one PP point in his entire career and it was a face-off win. Always the smart one liners from the 'holier than thou' Rangers fans here who feel they're above the rest of the posters. There is absolutely no reason NOT to let Kreider and Hagelin see PP time when you're PP is 0-4, you're trailing in a game and a PP is 2 minutes long anyhow, which is plenty of time to let more than one unit see some ice. My post actually CREDITS the talent of all four of our PP staples (Richards, Gabby, Cally, DZ) if you read it, but that doesn't mean a kid like Kreider, who obviously has offensive upside couldn't give us a new look out there, once in a while, when we're struggling and we need a goal. No need for the smug, dismissive attitude.

Bingo. No one said they're the magic solution. It doesn't hurt to TRY when the PP is this bad though. Doing the same thing over and over, to the same result... what's that called? Insanity?

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:48 PM
JayQueensNY88*

RANGERS vs caps..Game 7,May 12th 2012

So Im positive NYR will come out and take the lead n shut the caps down...

Just curious too see what changes you would like to see in game 7 if any are to be made.

What does NYR need to work on?

What do they need to step there game up with?

My major problem is obviously cant score and a ridiculous PP.PASSPASSPASPASSPASSPASS or cant set up(although caps are quick to the man with the puck)..or they get lucky and score on every advantage,but thats rare.

What are key compnents to NYR winning this game 7,in your opinions?

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I only want two things out of us.

Overall, I think our guys play well every night. I don't always think they're coached well, but I'm not going to start lambasting Torts now; he's taken us this far. I think he's a good coach and just not a very adaptable one - so be it.

Mike Sullivan and the PP is a different story but... those woes are well documented.

So that said, this is what I would like to see for this all-important game:

Lines that are more conducive to scoring and utilize the offensive talent that we have. I get it. We're a defense first, safe team. We have a lot of hard workers and grinders and we're a bit thin on offensive talent. Fine. But let's USE what we have. Goals have obviously been our problem. I don't want to see Stepan centering Fedetenko and Prust. Let's put together two scoring lines out of Richards, Gaborik, Hagelin, Callahan, Stepan, Kreider, Anisimov and two checking lines out of Boyle, Prust, Rupp, Mitchell, Fedetenko. Whoever is the odd man out from the two scoring lines becomes the sixth guy on those checking lines. Stop mixing the only guys who have offensive ability in with the guys who have the lowest odds of generating an opportunity. Stepan had 51 points this season; don't put him with PRUST and FEDS.

I know we can't fix the PP overnight, but I'd also like to see them be more decisive with the puck. We over pass. Shoot more. Be more assertive with the puck and get someone in front for screens, tips and rebounds. More decisive, less pass, pass, pass. Please.

That's it. That's all I want to see. One is up to the coach and the other up to the players. If Torts won't give us the lines I'd like to see, well... oh wel. If the players come out, play their hearts out like they have 99% of all season, battle and show some decisiveness with the puck, I will be satisfied whether I end up elated or heart broken. Let's do this.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Our PP sequence:
Lose faceoff, have the puck cleared, Richards carries the puck up the middle, is swarmed by the PK unit, stripped of puck, clear.
Dump it in. Back to DZ. pass. Pass. Pass. Pass. Take low percentage shot, shot blocked, no rebounds, clear.

PP over. Lose momentum.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
MDL8981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Now that my bout of crippling depression has ended, I feel pretty damn good for Game 7.
I'll feel good if I see line combos in Game 7 that we saw the end of Ottawa series/early part of this series. If I see the same lines I saw in Game 6, we're in deep trouble.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

All I want to see is a ****ing win.

Lose in the second round as the first seed to the 7th seed, the same team that has beaten us in the playoffs before, and some serious questions are raised about this team and their status as contenders, and some moves may have to be made. That's how I see it.

If Torts marches out the same lines he did yesterday, I don't know what i'd do.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Would love to see Torts limit the first PP unit to a single minute or less, to force them to move their feet and get shots.

It also allows the second unit to focus on just getting it to the net. the least that could happen is that it jump starts the offense and allows some guys to handle the puck.

Hell, set up behind the net. Its worked 5 on 5 with a a majority the of chances and goals generated from there...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
NYSportsfan87
Thank You Eli

I'm confident, but they need to come out flying. Please just win.

NYSportsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Free Kreider

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:06 PM
NikC

nothing is going to change now, just come out and play balls to the wall hockey. get on them early and often, grind them down, keep them out, shut them out.

win it anyway you can.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
i agree to a point...

I just want to touch base on the lines
i felt there should have been line juggling...there wasnt, he likes to mess with the lines and play whoever is playing well that game, problem was nobody was playing well, which lead to him not doing anything, that's my thought. I would have loved to see some different line combos...

side note: scott laughlin today a little after 4pm on his show on NHL Home Ice said he can't believe the rangers goal counted because hagelin was in the crease (aka hinting there was goalie interference) and that holtby should have got the shutout....lol

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote