HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

play for Today or Tomorrow?

Old
05-09-2012, 08:55 PM
outoftune

vCash: 500
play for Today or Tomorrow?

Ok so this is coming from lots of talk on here about leaving spots on the roster for young guys to have their chance at the NHL level (mainly our D)

So the question is what should the avs do? go out and use trades/UFAs to get players to fill up our lineup going into camp or save a few spots and let our rookies fight their way onto the opening lineup??

My opinion is fill up the spots and make the young guys really deserve to steal that spot from a real NHL player and if they are unable to do that keep them in the minors until injuries allow them to get their shot

outoftune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Leave MAYBE one spot open for competition on D.

Elliott's performance last year should have been prime example #1 of why you shouldn't just give these guys spots. I like Elliott as a player and I believe he'll be good-great someday, but you couldn't just let him be fed to the wolves for an entire season. He clearly needed to be back in the minors. You can't pencil in Elliott and Barrie until they compete and win a job.

Bring in lower end vets and let the kids beat them out.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

You need to think both long term and short term when adding pieces to existing roster. I have all the confidence that our management group knows what to do with our young players.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:07 PM
cgf

I think it really comes down to the kid. Elliott I think you can't plan on being ready, Gaunce on the otherhand I think would beat out Wilson for a spot next to RoB. So, given his play in the AHL, his experience and talent, you can expect him to win a training camp battle for a spot. Barrie to me is a toss up, he might or might not be ready to play with Hejda so him you can't plan for although you should plan for the possibility that he is ready, so bringing in someone like Hunwick who'll be a good soldier and sit in the box until we can trade him to a team that'll play him, if he losses the camp battle, would be prudent.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

You never play for tomorrow because tomorrow never comes. As soon as you get close present comes. <--Muffin quote.

Last edited by Muffin: 05-10-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote