HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 13.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
It'll come down to Yakupov or Galchenyuk. I believe Murray and Forsberg will go #1 and #2.
doubt both Edm & Columbus pass on Yakupov without trading down...

but if you're right, I think it's Yakupov for sure.

- quite likely most talented player in the draft
- natural goal score the likes we haven't seen in decades
- NHL ready now
- from the interviews/media pieces i've seen on him, if he falls to #3, he's going to come into camp/his career with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, which will only benefit us!

and lastly, if he did fall to us, and Timmins & co. weren't sold on him, it's more than likely that at least one of NYI, Toronto or Anaheim would be willing to offer enough to be worth trading down a few spots.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
doubt both Edm & Columbus pass on Yakupov without trading down...

but if you're right, I think it's Yakupov for sure.

- quite likely most talented player in the draft
- natural goal score the likes we haven't seen in decades
- NHL ready now
- from the interviews/media pieces i've seen on him, if he falls to #3, he's going to come into camp/his career with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, which will only benefit us!

and lastly, if he did fall to us, and Timmins & co. weren't sold on him, it's more than likely that at least one of NYI, Toronto or Anaheim would be willing to offer enough to be worth trading down a few spots.
I don't see him falling to us unless Edmonton or Columbus call us and offer to move to grab him. I can see Edmonton wanting Murray and realizing that they can have him and we throw in Weber. So now they have two Dman. Otherwise they will probably just pick him and then either try for some UFA defense or trade for a top D. Personally i am willing to give up Weber to move up but not much more since I think we can still get a very good player at third pick.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I don't see him falling to us unless Edmonton or Columbus call us and offer to move to grab him. I can see Edmonton wanting Murray and realizing that they can have him and we throw in Weber. So now they have two Dman. Otherwise they will probably just pick him and then either try for some UFA defense or trade for a top D. Personally i am willing to give up Weber to move up but not much more since I think we can still get a very good player at third pick.
You'd be able to move up in the 3rd round for Weber...haha

It might be just two spot, but the price to move up will be high.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
McPheesMoustache
No Scrubs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

I understand your argument here but i dont necessarily agree... If edm. is targeting a specific player (probably a D), then they still get him with our #3.. not so much after the Isles pick tho...

Price for Leafs to move up would be a lot more because there is a much higher risk the guy they want is then gone... they may try to jack the price on us but at the end of the day, timmins wont overpay if he thinks edm wants a certain player that will probably be taken by #4 ...

Price of moving up is only a bidding war if edm wants to risk letting teams 5-10 in on it and that means risking losing the player(s) they want.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

If Edmonton truly wants Murray they can't trade out of top 4. Plus they would at worse make a deal with Isles since they will probably grab Murray themselves at number 4. If Edmonton were to trade away with any teams past the top 4 they would lose Murray so they better get a real good D for trading away their 1st.

They might be nervous trading past two, who knows who Columbus might grab, I think they go for Forsberg but who knows.

Montreal could also play a game of cat and mouse. They should let it be known that they are seriously thinking about Murray if they can't get Yakupov. Now Edmonton is really in a hard spot with only Columbus and Montreal as trade partners.

Last edited by googlymoogly: 05-10-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old
05-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPheesMoustache View Post
I understand your argument here but i dont necessarily agree... If edm. is targeting a specific player (probably a D), then they still get him with our #3.. not so much after the Isles pick tho...

Price for Leafs to move up would be a lot more because there is a much higher risk the guy they want is then gone... they may try to jack the price on us but at the end of the day, timmins wont overpay if he thinks edm wants a certain player that will probably be taken by #4 ...

Price of moving up is only a bidding war if edm wants to risk letting teams 5-10 in on it and that means risking losing the player(s) they want.
Thing is, they won't risk losing their player (Columbus can also trade down) for a guy like Weber. This draft is similar as the one in 2003 in terms of who's going first...there's no clear top pick...

Quote:
The Florida Panthers trade the first pick (Marc-Andre Fleury) and 73rd pick (Daniel Carcillo) to the Pittsburgh Penguins for the third pick (Nathan Horton), the 55th pick (Stefan Meyer) and Mikael Samuelsson.
So we'd have to add a pick or two...and who knows what Weber value is. I don't think it's high at all, but you never know (remember that 2nd we got for Eric Chouinard...)

Old
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Montreal could also play a game of cat and mouse. They should let it be known that they are seriously thinking about Murray if they can't get Yakupov. Now Edmonton is really in a hard spot with only Columbus and Montreal as trade partners.
Edmonton is not in a hard spot - they have the first pick and will be running the show.

If they truly want Murray, they shouldn't chance to pick any later than 2nd. This means that any team that wants Yakupov with the first overall will first have to acquire the 2nd overall from Columbus, then flip it to Edmonton.

So, this begs the question, how far would Columbus be willing to trade down? Again, if they have their heart set on a player that is not Yakupov, it makes no sense for them to trade down at all. However if they have assurances that Edm will draft Murray at 2, they could be safe drafting at 3 (assuming they don't want Murray of course).

Old
05-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Where is the ***** for Terrevainen coming from? His production is unspectacular, he's small, and hasn't proven anything. Do you guys just swallow everything McCagg drops?
Huh? Last summer at the age of 16 he led the Ivan Hlinka tournament in scoring. This spring at 17 he was leading his men's team in scoring when he left for the U-18 tournament. In nine U-18 games this season he scored 18 points. As I've stated numerous times, he was the talk of the U-18's...many scouts think he's proven plenty.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Huh? Last summer at the age of 16 he led the Ivan Hlinka tournament in scoring. This spring at 17 he was leading his men's team in scoring when he left for the U-18 tournament. In nine U-18 games this season he scored 18 points. As I've stated numerous times, he was the talk of the U-18's...many scouts think he's proven plenty.
Wasn't meaning to offend you McCagg, just that some people see you as an oracle. I respect your opinions but just don't see Teuvo as a guy the Habs need.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:37 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Wasn't meaning to offend you McCagg, just that some people see you as an oracle. I respect your opinions but just don't see Teuvo as a guy the Habs need.
The habs need a highly skilled game breaking forward.

Galchenyuk is my selection (now after a year of deliberation). However, if Timmins feels that the most dynamic player is TT. I'll be fine with that.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:41 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The habs need a highly skilled game breaking forward.

Galchenyuk is my selection (now after a year of deliberation). However, if Timmins feels that the most dynamic player is TT. I'll be fine with that.
I'd throw up if he chooses TT. We don't need another 15 yrs of a small Fin.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:43 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I bet you wish you still had Koivu over Gomez. We'd also still have McDonagh too.

Koivu bled. Koivu overcame cancer. Koivu endured bad teams, worse management and the darkest years of this franchise. He was the one glimmering light throughout all of it.

We'd be BLESSED to have another player of Koivu's skill and character on this team again.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:52 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
I bet you wish you still had Koivu over Gomez. We'd also still have McDonagh too.

Koivu bled. Koivu overcame cancer. Koivu endured bad teams, worse management and the darkest years of this franchise. He was the one glimmering light throughout all of it.

We'd be BLESSED to have another player of Koivu's skill and character on this team again.
This!

I think the media did a great job at destroying this guy. It was a blessing to have this player (and human being) with us.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Fozz

Quote:

Here here!

Old
05-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Brilliant

Old
05-10-2012, 10:09 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Great answer, I would also be happy if timmins picked Forsberg

Old
05-10-2012, 10:09 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
I remember a young Koivu leading the league in points before he had a knee taken out. After that he struggled and also had to deal with weak players on his wings when Molson got cheap. I would take another Koivu he was under rated in the NHL. He was better than Gomez how players like Cammy thought Gomez was better than Koivu is a joke.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
I remember a young Koivu leading the league in points before he had a knee taken out. After that he struggled and also had to deal with weak players on his wings when Molson got cheap. I would take another Koivu he was under rated in the NHL. He was better than Gomez how players like Cammy thought Gomez was better than Koivu is a joke.
Yeah, honestly. TT is Koivu pre-injury and in an NHL that rewards skill over size.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
TT could go top five. But I would trade down if Timmins wants him. I am a big fan also. He has a certain clutchness about him.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Et le But

Does anyone know anything about Teuvo's attitude? That could make or break him...because he very well might be the most skilled player in the draft.

It's hard to resist the greater physical advantages of Forsberg and Galy, but...

Quote:

I still can't believe there are Habs fans out there that hate Koivu.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Does anyone know anything about Teuvo's attitude? That could make or break him...because he very well might be the most skilled player in the draft.

It's hard to resist the greater physical advantages of Forsberg and Galy, but...

I still can't believe there are Habs fans out there that hate Koivu.
The dude might not even be a real Habs fan. Anyhow..I'd take Granlund over Tarasenko and Kuznetsov. Kid has skills and seem to have a better attitude than Kuznetsov. I don't know much about Tarasenko's attitude though..

Old
05-10-2012, 11:31 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Subjecting another fin to this ^ sort of thing would be cruel treatment of a small country like Finland.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Erika

My choice for the 3rd pick overall is Teuvo Teravainen !! I haven't seen most of the top players players rated, but seeing Teuvo on TV at the U-18 was more than enough to make me think that he's probably the most skilled player in the entire draft !!

I would be more than happy if he can end up as good as Koivu was !!

airic000 doesn't know what he's talking about or he's a troll...

Old
05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
rockjngo

1. Yakupov
2. Forsberg
3. Murray

these 3 are on my list and I believe they are the top 3 players of this draft.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:02 AM
poetryinmotion

Pop question to everyone: if you were to rank TT, Grigorenko, and Galchenyuk on skill alone, what would it be? Forget character issues or nationality, just hockey skill.

Closed Thread