HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 04:43 PM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I think he's awful. His personnel usage is whacked (Beagle more than Backstrom, really?). His strategies are basic and result in the opponent driving the play and the Caps getting routinely outchanced.

He's basically practicing Randypuck to the letter and he's all about grabbing a lead then hanging on for dear life, block every shot and hope that the other guys don't tie it. That's basically coaching by prayer.

If riding a hot goalie to the ECF on a 14-12 record while being dominated is the mark of a great coach, then clearly you must also believe that Jacques Martin is a great coach (and Hunter has yet to reach the ECF). Except Martin didn't have a team that had won its conference twice in a row and its division four straight times, and actually gave the most icetime to his best players.
I have zero problems with him playing his grinders more than his star players, when they have the lead. I've seen Ovechkin make numerous dumb plays in the neutral zone when the rags are coming on a transition rush. Backstrom has also struggled with his backchecking a lot in the playoffs. Semin is actually playing hard at both ends of the ice.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:46 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Caps are winning despite Hunter.
That is retarded. They're only getting this far because they have a very hot goalie and they compliment him by playing the fortress style of defence around him (Hunter's system). Just like Habs '10. Backstrom has been pretty bad since coming back from his concussion. He's losing battles left and right. Beagle, Hendricks and Chimera have been good at faceoffs and board battles. Also their defence is more committed to maintaining possession and making the simple passes to get through the neutral zone. Except for Green. He's always trying to overdo everything.

But anyway, this is about potential coaches. McPhee would be stupid to fire him after they got this far after a **** season of confusion.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

If Roy comes in and he is as unqualified as Dale Hunter, we're set.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Garry Valk

Get Carbo back in there. He's got unfinished business.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If Roy comes in and he is as unqualified as Dale Hunter, we're set.
People were complaining about Darche and Blunde TOI with Martin and Cunneyworth. Hunter is worst, he plays Beagle more than Backstrom and Ovechkin. Now wtf is this ****?

I don't want Roy as a coach. Seriously, I don't think there's one candidate I like right now.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

If the Canucks fired Alain Vigneault, would you want him back?

Old
05-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Drydenwasthebest

I do not want The Big Ego as our next coach. Insteadof Roy, get Crawford and pair him with Robinson on the defenceman. In all honesty, Muller should be our coach but Molson refused to see the writing on the wall and let Carolina steal what should be our new head coach.

Crawford or anyone other coach on the planet before Roy, please!!!

Robinson as coach of the defenceman, Dudley as assistant GM.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:39 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
If the Canucks fired Alain Vigneault, would you want him back?
Hell yes. With Robinson as AC.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:52 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
People were complaining about Darche and Blunde TOI with Martin and Cunneyworth. Hunter is worst, he plays Beagle more than Backstrom and Ovechkin. Now wtf is this ****?

I don't want Roy as a coach. Seriously, I don't think there's one candidate I like right now.
no one was complaining when we made it to the 3rd round...

it's all about results.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:55 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
no one was complaining when we made it to the 3rd round...

it's all about results.
True, but it happened once in 19 years, so yeah. It's not the rule, it's the fluke as far as I'm concerned.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Hell yes. With Robinson as AC.
To be honest, you don't want him back. As a Canucks fan I just have enough of him ruining our chances to win the cup. He never adjust when the tide is turned against him in the playoffs, he played fringe nhl players in the last few minutes despite down a goal or two, he played Aaron Rome over Keith Ballard, played Rome so much that he seems to be on the ice with the Sedins as well, not Edler, not Salo, Not Bieska, not Hamhuis, also he insist Chris Higgins to be playing on the third line despite having him out play Raymond.

There are also reports of him leaving the movitation part to the players to themselves, it really makes you wonder what he really did there?

Take Marc Crawford, the only weakness is he doesnt know how to handle goalies situation, but with Carey Price in net for Montreal then I don't see there is a problem anymore.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
thom

I like roy but can someone tell how he is more qualified than Don Hay or even Craig Hartsburg were?

Old
05-10-2012, 08:17 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
True, but it happened once in 19 years, so yeah. It's not the rule, it's the fluke as far as I'm concerned.
exactly, and that's why most Caps fans arent complaining... when even relative success like this is so rare, you appreciate it.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
MXD

...Actually, it was anybody but Roy.
Now, it's anybody but Crawford.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:51 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
To be honest, you don't want him back. As a Canucks fan I just have enough of him ruining our chances to win the cup. He never adjust when the tide is turned against him in the playoffs, he played fringe nhl players in the last few minutes despite down a goal or two, he played Aaron Rome over Keith Ballard, played Rome so much that he seems to be on the ice with the Sedins as well, not Edler, not Salo, Not Bieska, not Hamhuis, also he insist Chris Higgins to be playing on the third line despite having him out play Raymond.

There are also reports of him leaving the movitation part to the players to themselves, it really makes you wonder what he really did there?

Take Marc Crawford, the only weakness is he doesnt know how to handle goalies situation, but with Carey Price in net for Montreal then I don't see there is a problem anymore.
This +100

Old
05-10-2012, 09:37 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
But anyway, this is about potential coaches. McPhee would be stupid to fire him after they got this far after a **** season of confusion.
I hope they keep him. I think that'll make the talent-laden Caps a bubble club, if not a non-factor. Then again, Hunter may wisen up.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:49 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipp18 View Post
Its not my intention to stir up a whole English vs French thing.
The French side will always insist the the coach MUST speak french.
The English side always says hire the best possible guy regardless of language.
As an English Montealer I think its just a fact of life that the coach needs to speak french, there is just no way around that.

From the look of the names being discussed on this board ( Therrien, Crawford, Hartley) were just talking about recycling guys just because they speak French. I don't want any of those guys near this team, I would even prefer Roy over those names.
Is Roy the only viable candidate out there that could provide some new blood/energy/vision. Are there no French speaking coaches in the Q? AHL?

I just hope that Bergevin is doing his due diligence for the coaching position and NOT just looking at what the fans/media are putting out there.
I agree, want no part of recycling guys like Crawford and Therrien. Would like to see what Groulx could do. Expect it'll be Roy. Hopefully he has Robinson and Groulx on the staff so when Patrick gets carted off to the funny farm we'll have the replacement right there.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:55 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I'm not excited by any of the "big name" guys out there. Hopefully it's someone off the board that gets the job.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Pretty sure it will end up being Therrien.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:18 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
So, we can get Roy, then ?

Post of the year.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:38 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I'd love it if it was AV. At least that's a guy who has had some fairly recent success in the NHL.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'd love it if it was AV. At least that's a guy who has had some fairly recent success in the NHL.
No, you wouldn't love that. He is just an average coach with a great team supporting him, he just never play our team to its biggest strength.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

The Caps are winning though! But all i'm saying is, it doesn't mean because someone comes from junior that he's not ready.

Also Roy always had great relationships with his stars.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:37 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, you wouldn't love that. He is just an average coach with a great team supporting him, he just never play our team to its biggest strength.
So how much better would nucks be with an above average coach? back to back cup wins?

Old
05-11-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
He's not really the only one to blame. The Canucks are a great regular season team.

And no I don't want AV.

Closed Thread