HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Would you take Carle back?

View Poll Results: Would you like to re-sign carle?
Yes 38 23.60%
No 123 76.40%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I still think, that even if we sign him, we should still go out and get someone. Garrison instead of Suter, since he would be cheaper?
I, for one, would love Garrison on our team.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
trigzter

I'm personally not a fan, but the real reason I don't want him resigned is that he would sign for 4-5 years most likely. I don't want him to be a flyer for 4 years just because we need defencemen next year.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:09 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
No, I really don't think he is worth what he'll get. For a "puck moving defenseman", I can't tell you how many passes he simply just missed on the last series, and really he hasn't been great all year.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
StandingCow

No because even with a discount, it is still too much for him. But from the sounds of it... they are trying to resign him.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:58 PM
MsWoof

Not only do I not want him back but if I were him, I'd not want to come back after Homer saying he thinks he can sign him for below market value. He's got the chance to make a lot of money and to go where he wants. This is the age where players get their mega bucks and if Homer already said he thinks he can get him for below market value, that means someone else will pay him market value...or higher.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:22 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
If the price is right, sure, but it probably won't. The guy is a good defenseman, I never really understood the Carle hate on here.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:24 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Not only do I not want him back but if I were him, I'd not want to come back after Homer saying he thinks he can sign him for below market value. He's got the chance to make a lot of money and to go where he wants. This is the age where players get their mega bucks and if Homer already said he thinks he can get him for below market value, that means someone else will pay him market value...or higher.
Asking for a higher salary = not thinking about the team, because of the cap. If you ask for less, the team has more cap space and has better players, so a better chance to win. I wonder when the players will realize that. Do they really need more millions/year that they already have?

Old
05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Asking for a higher salary = not thinking about the team, because of the cap. If you ask for less, the team has more cap space and has better players, so a better chance to win. I wonder when the players will realize that. Do they really need more millions/year that they already have?
They have a very small window to make a lot of money. Why would they think about the team, especially after what happened to their teammates who gave the team a break just a year ago? The agents are going to remind all their players of this.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:52 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
They have a very small window to make a lot of money. Why would they think about the team, especially after what happened to their teammates who gave the team a break just a year ago? The agents are going to remind all their players of this.
I don't know, to get a chance to win maybe? Whether it's here or anywhere else, it still helps the team in which they are to have a low cap hit. And the money thing... please. The average salary where I live is about 40K$/year. You get 1.6M in 40 years of work. These guys win more than that every season. Not saying that they should only get 1.6M in their careers, but they sure will have the chance to live a quality life even if they don't ask for 1-2 extra millions in their salary.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:03 PM
fauxflex

Carle's play seems to be overall too risky for the returns he gives...he puts up some points but also makes boneheaded plays with the puck that can and do detract. Also, he seems to lack the defensive toughness and physicality necessary to body guys coming over the blueline and keep guys from establishing position down low which makes him a liability at times. I don't believe he could or should anchor a top 4 pairing, so you need a more solid player with him, which in a way,indicates he should be paid as a complementary top 4 player, somewhere between 4-4.5 million per yr, for say 4 or 5 yrs. imo...more per year and he can go get it from somehwere else and we'll make a run at Suter, who I see basically as a guy who can do all that Matt Carle can do (or tries to do), but do it a heck of a lot better than Matt Carle, so I'd go 6 or 7 on Suter long term. Weber is a dream that won't happen, but it would be amazing if it did.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:59 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

how much dislike do I have Carle as a player?
i would rather have Suter at 7 years and 7 million per then Carle at 5 per at 8-10 years.

Carle at 5 million per and 8-10 years would be beyond dumb. Nevermind the fact that it would likely come with a NMC/NTC. No thanks.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:00 AM
StandingCow

I think they are gonna get him for like 4.3... hope it isn't anything more than that.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:05 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
No because even with a discount, it is still too much for him. But from the sounds of it... they are trying to resign him.
they "tried" to re-sign Biron and Leino as well

It's just GM talk

I also fail to believe that Carle would want to be signed to a hometown discount. He knows that the market is pretty thin on defenseman, especially puck-movers, and I refuse to believe that he isnt looking for his pay day. If he does indeed stay for cheap, then it says a lot about his character, but I don't think he'll do it and I don't blame him. It's hard to say no to the amount of money that he could be offered.

With that being said, I don't want him back, even at a discount (unless it's like $2m for a few years and miss out on Suter)

Last edited by RJ8812: 05-11-2012 at 08:14 AM.
RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Snotbubbles

I said no, but mainly because I don't want him back at 5M. If he came back at 4M a year, I'd take him.

The problem with Carle is that the Flyers had him playing way too many minutes in situations he probably shouldn't have been in. But what can you do with the injuries they had on the blueline this year.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:22 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
Carle's play seems to be overall too risky for the returns he gives...he puts up some points but also makes boneheaded plays with the puck that can and do detract. Also, he seems to lack the defensive toughness and physicality necessary to body guys coming over the blueline and keep guys from establishing position down low which makes him a liability at times. I don't believe he could or should anchor a top 4 pairing, so you need a more solid player with him, which in a way,indicates he should be paid as a complementary top 4 player, somewhere between 4-4.5 million per yr, for say 4 or 5 yrs. imo...more per year and he can go get it from somehwere else and we'll make a run at Suter, who I see basically as a guy who can do all that Matt Carle can do (or tries to do), but do it a heck of a lot better than Matt Carle, so I'd go 6 or 7 on Suter long term. Weber is a dream that won't happen, but it would be amazing if it did.
he may be a dream for this upcoming season, but if he goes to arbitration again this summer and signs for 1 year, well, with us gaining cap space with Timonen being off the books (at least at $6.3m), Homer will definitely be going after him (assuming he reaches free agency)

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:43 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I don't know, to get a chance to win maybe? Whether it's here or anywhere else, it still helps the team in which they are to have a low cap hit. And the money thing... please. The average salary where I live is about 40K$/year. You get 1.6M in 40 years of work. These guys win more than that every season. Not saying that they should only get 1.6M in their careers, but they sure will have the chance to live a quality life even if they don't ask for 1-2 extra millions in their salary.
So, because you like your employer, you'd be willing to work for $30K when you could go elsewhere at get $40K - and like the job as much or more than your current job?

That's what you're expecting players to do.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I said no but only because I think he is going to want a big raise. If he signs for a reasonable price I wouldn't be mad. He didn't play well toward the end of this year, but his shortcomings (like most things around here) are really blown out of proportion.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Carle is gone.

For heavens sake, we re-signed Coburn, brought in Grossman and got him signed instantly. Not a chance that we re-sign Carle.

I really hope he's asking for 5.5 +

I would want carle back as the teams 6th defenseman for 1.5 million or less. Anything more and I want his ass shipped off the team. There are plenty of guys out there that can play 20+ minutes, get beaten constantly, miss coverage, give up back breaking turnovers, fail to use a slapshot at any time, have the weakest shot in the NHL, be the least physical defenseman in the league ect.

Guys a joke. I can't wait for someone like the isles to sign him to a rediculous contract.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

this is Carle's first test into UFA. I would be shocked if he didnt want to test the market. I doubt he takes a "hometown discount". Everyone knows the market is thin on defenseman. I would rather use the money on guys who can play the position in his own zone like you know he is paid to do.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:53 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Carle's gonna get the Leino treatment.
Watch Buffalo sign him for a $6M AAV.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:54 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

For the money he wants, he shouldnt come back. No matter what you say, 5 mil+ is not worth the type and play of Matt Carle. He will easily want more than that, unless it's a deal like 8-10 years for 4.5 or something, which would be crazy to do.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Carle is gone.

For heavens sake, we re-signed Coburn, brought in Grossman and got him signed instantly. Not a chance that we re-sign Carle.

I really hope he's asking for 5.5 +

I would want carle back as the teams 6th defenseman for 1.5 million or less. Anything more and I want his ass shipped off the team. There are plenty of guys out there that can play 20+ minutes, get beaten constantly, miss coverage, give up back breaking turnovers, fail to use a slapshot at any time, have the weakest shot in the NHL, be the least physical defenseman in the league ect.

Guys a joke. I can't wait for someone like the isles to sign him to a rediculous contract.

^^^this^^^

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Mgkibbles

Matt Carle is already overvalued by Lavi, and I'm getting worried the same will happen to Homer during these negotiations.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I wouldn't mind having him back for a low price. In this offseason market, teams will overpay, just like most offseasons. If Carle wants to stay and take a lower pay, then great. I don't see it happening, and I don't fault him at all. But if we did sign him, it would probably be 5 or 5.5 mil for 5 or more years, which will handicap us when it comes to resigning more important players like Voracek and Simmonds (when his contract expires) et al.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Carle is in my top 4 all time hated Flyers with Therien, Randy Jones and Amonte, but I can admit the hatred is a little irrational.
He was a good player. He just sucked really bad at the end.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote