HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Ryan Murray (2012, 2nd overall, Columbus)

Old
05-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbiasHockeyFan1 View Post
Murry playing at these world hockey championships will IMO help Tambellini rationalize picking Murry over Yakupov(imo Murry is the right choice worth the wealth of forward prospect edm has)
Not really true.

The Oilers have 3 good young forwards, no secondary scoring, and few(if any) forwards that project as top 6 players. The defensive prospect depth is considerably better with a decent range of player types that are tracking well up to this point.

Yakupov is as much the right choice as Murray is for the Oilers, and has the added benefit of being the BPA.

Tarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Ryan Murray is awful

The only times I've seen him have been WJC and WHC granted. But every time, he seems to not know where he is on the ice and is completely offensively inept. I just do not see a special or even a good player in him at all. Why do people think he's the best defenseman in the draft? And what's more, how would this guy, who's getting burned by 18 year old Russians and doing a whole lot of nothing against men at the WHC, supposed to step in and make an impact next year? IMO Ryan Murray would be the worst possible choice the Oilers could make at the 2012 draft, we'd even be better off taking Grigorenko or Galchenyuk than Murray.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

This should be fun...

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:45 PM
airforceones25

Precisely. I agree 100% granted the only time I saw him was crossing the street. His hips were horrible. Simply no fluidity what so ever.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

What, out of all the times I've seen him. I haven't seen the supposed high level defensive awareness. I saw a guy who bled goals like crazy. Offensively he hasn't gotten much done either.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:49 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

I am sure most CBJ, NYI fan agree with you that The Oilers should not take him.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
What, out of all the times I've seen him. I haven't seen the supposed high level defensive awareness. I saw a guy who bled goals like crazy. Offensively he hasn't gotten much done either.

ok so you must be right and every scout in north america is wrong.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Everett Silvertips were 17th out of 22 teams in GA with 268. Seattle, Swift, Lethbridge and Prince Albert were behind.

Ryan Murray played 46 games out of 72 in the WHL season which means that you could make a case for him having an estimate of around 171 goals that he was playing in.

There are players with who played more games and had more goals against than him - quite a few I'd imagine. So he hardly leaks compared to the league.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
The only times I've seen him have been WJC and WHC granted. But every time, he seems to not know where he is on the ice and is completely offensively inept. I just do not see a special or even a good player in him at all. Why do people think he's the best defenseman in the draft? And what's more, how would this guy, who's getting burned by 18 year old Russians and doing a whole lot of nothing against men at the WHC, supposed to step in and make an impact next year? IMO Ryan Murray would be the worst possible choice the Oilers could make at the 2012 draft, we'd even be better off taking Grigorenko or Galchenyuk than Murray.
You're funny.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Guardian452

Quote:
Apparently all the scouts, coaches and hockey analysts who have been paid to watch him play live dozens of times have it wrong when they say he's a top 3 pick in this year's draft.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
So an 18 year old comes in the WHC, plays against a few of the top players in the world, and does a whole bunch of nothing like not letting in goals in?

I'm impressed.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Guardian452

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
So an 18 year old comes in the WHC, plays against a few of the top players in the world, and does a whole bunch of nothing like not letting in goals in?

I'm impressed.
I have to admit, at times he has seemed lost playing against men rather than boys. However, he hasn't been horrible defensively (based on what I've seen, RNC has been the worst player in the defensive zone) and Sutter has the confidence to put him on the ice for 5-10 minutes a game.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Playoff Beard

https://twitter.com/bob_stauffer/sta...58770915897344

@Bob_Stauffer: According to Team Canada GM Kevin Lowe consensus amongst Managers and Scouts at WHC is Ryan Murray will play in NHL next season

Playoff Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:10 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoff Beard View Post

@Bob_Stauffer: According to Team Canada GM Kevin Lowe consensus amongst Managers and Scouts at WHC is Ryan Murray will play in NHL next season
Least shocking news of life, atleast to me.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:24 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Least shocking news of life, atleast to me.
I agree and I will even go a step further and say that with EDM's need of D and thier embarassment of riches in young talented Fowards, that they will strongly consider drafting Murray.

They may not do it at 1st overall but they will consider him very much IMO

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Does Kevin Lowe speak about Ryan Murray to the media daily?

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:

Johnny Bravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoff Beard View Post

And that is why I feal there is a real good chance NYI trades up to ensure his selection.

05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
jebs

I like Murray, but if the Oilers pick him at #1 I wont be impressed at all.

If they really want a dman, trade it, hell straight up for Brodin would be better. Hes better than Murray imo, and the same age too.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:09 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
I like Murray, but if the Oilers pick him at #1 I wont be impressed at all.

If they really want a dman, trade it, hell straight up for Brodin would be better. Hes better than Murray imo, and the same age too.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:46 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Haha.. Maybe not a popular view but im really high on the guy, I think he has a better chance at being a #1dman than Murray.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:05 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
I guarantee Fowler won't fall past ______.

It seems to me like it takes a very strong consensus for an NHL team to spend a high first round pick on a defenseman these days. It's going to happen this year because they have no choice, but a lot of wrong decisions are going to be made.

This isn't 2008; and even if it were, at least one of these guys is going to end up being the Luke Schenn of the bunch. The Oilers were gift wrapped the most valuable toy at the draft. If they want a defenseman, take Yakupov and flip those forward assets somewhere down the line if need be for something that's guaranteed.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post

It seems to me like it takes a very strong consensus for an NHL team to spend a high first round pick on a defenseman these days. It's going to happen this year because they have no choice, but a lot of wrong decisions are going to be made.

This isn't 2008; and even if it were, at least one of these guys is going to end up being the Luke Schenn of the bunch. The Oilers were gift wrapped the most valuable toy at the draft. If they want a defenseman, take Yakupov and flip those forward assets somewhere down the line if need be for something that's guaranteed.
Exactly, and I think it will be Ryan Murray. People keep saying how he's guaranteed to be a top pairing defenseman. From what I've seen, there's not enough offensive instinct for him to reach the top pairing, and he isn't like a Dan Hamhuis defensively either. 2nd pairing potential IMO and anyone who takes him in the top 5 I think would be better off taking either Dumba, Reilly, or Reinhart, all 3 of whom I believe have top pairing potential.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post

Whats wrong with Luke Schenn?

He seems to be a decent pick at #5.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Exactly, and I think it will be Ryan Murray. People keep saying how he's guaranteed to be a top pairing defenseman. From what I've seen, there's not enough offensive instinct for him to reach the top pairing, and he isn't like a Dan Hamhuis defensively either. 2nd pairing potential IMO and anyone who takes him in the top 5 I think would be better off taking either Dumba, Reilly, or Reinhart, all 3 of whom I believe have top pairing potential.
I myself am quite a fan of Yakupov. But I don't make the player who will likely get drafted after him, sound like garbage.

Johnny Bravo is online now   Reply With Quote