HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers - Canucks

Old
05-10-2012, 11:04 PM
RyanCallahan24*

vCash: 500
Rangers - Canucks

To : Ryan Kesler + Alexander Edler

To : Derek Stepan + Marc Staal + 2012 1st + Christian Thomas/Jesper Fasth

Fair value?

Ryan Kesler would be an ideal player for Tortorella and New York Rangers while Edler would provide a scoring touch from the point which is well needed.

Stepan is a skilled young player who would thrive in a more offensive system than the Rangers. Staal is a premier shutdown D on a great contract. Thomas is a mid prospect. High reward/bust potential. Could turn out to be a great sniper or a bust. Fasth is a real speedy winger that plays for HV71 in Sweden (info/stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10967). I myself would personally love to see Fasth in Rangers but you gotta give to get. He has great potential with his speed and hockeysense. He has evolved alot this year. A bad injury (broken ankle) stopped him from playing a full season in the SEL this year. But man did he play good when he did play. Playing with men as a young kid. Real impressive. He even got called up to the national team.

Edler is a RFA and Kesler is on a good deal. Canucks lower their caphit with Staal and Stepan (still on his ELC). With the money the save on the deal they can spend it on some UFA's or whatever they feel like.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:10 PM
clyankees47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
To : Ryan Kesler + Alexander Edler

To : Derek Stepan + Marc Staal + 2012 1st + Christian Thomas/Jesper Fasth

Fair value?

Ryan Kesler would be an ideal player for Tortorella and New York Rangers while Edler would provide a scoring touch from the point which is well needed.

Stepan is a skilled young player who would thrive in a more offensive system than the Rangers. Staal is a premier shutdown D on a great contract. Thomas is a mid prospect. High reward/bust potential. Could turn out to be a great sniper or a bust. Fasth is a real speedy winger that plays for HV71 in Sweden (info/stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10967). I myself would personally love to see Fasth in Rangers but you gotta give to get. He has great potential with his speed and hockeysense. He has evolved alot this year. A bad injury (broken ankle) stopped him from playing a full season in the SEL this year. But man did he play good when he did play. Playing with men as a young kid. Real impressive. He even got called up to the national team.

Edler is a RFA and Kesler is on a good deal. Canucks lower their caphit with Staal and Stepan (still on his ELC). With the money the save on the deal they can spend it on some UFA's or whatever they feel like.
No thanks.

clyankees47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:15 PM
LeX4cavalier

Really bad for Vancouver. The only way Kesler + Edler are traded, is if we get upgrades in both positions, like Kopitar + Doughty. A late 1st and a decent prospect is not enough to downgrade heavily in both positions.

LeX4cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

So we downgrade big time from Kesler to Stepan, then We downgrade again from Staal to Edler, and all we get is a late 1st and a prospect? Why?

Staal and Stepan for Kesler maybe..

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

I rather have us trading coaches instead, but too bad that is not possible. Hell, if its possible to get rid of AV and get Tortorella, we even throw in our first round pick.

Vancouver_2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:19 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeX4cavalier View Post
Really bad for Vancouver. The only way Kesler + Edler are traded, is if we get upgrades in both positions, like Kopitar + Doughty. A late 1st and a decent prospect is not enough to downgrade heavily in both positions.

Okay. Thought maybe Canucks needed a premier shutdown D like Staal. And I could see Stepan put up 70 points with Canucks. He put up 51 with Rangers, and let's be honest. We're not exactly known for our offense.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Kesler2012

Quote:
Okay. Thought maybe Canucks needed a premier shutdown D like Staal. And I could see Stepan put up 70 points with Canucks. He put up 51 with Rangers, and let's be honest. We're not exactly known for our offense.
I think if Kesler is being traded Callahan would need to come the other way.

Kesler2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
You're giving us two pieces that we covet, but the value just isn't there. If were moving Kesler we'd want both Stepan and Staal, the rest doesn't equal Edler. Unless NYR is willing to do something like that I dont see it working.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Kershaw

I think I'll cheer for another team if Staal/Stepan are traded for Kesler. Not a big fan of Kesler and a huge fan of Staal/Stepan.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:24 PM
LeX4cavalier

Quote:
He'd be playing with Raymond/Higgins and Booth. Not much better than Stepan's regular linemates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2012 View Post
I think if Kesler is being traded Callahan would need to come the other way.
Would it be straight up or a + from either side?

Old
05-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I think I'll cheer for another team if Staal/Stepan are traded for Kesler. Not a big fan of Kesler and a huge fan of Staal/Stepan.
Fair enough. It's a steep price to pay, Vancouver may send back something small with Kesler but I doubt it'd e significant enough to tip the scales.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Riptide

Quote:
I think the Canucks have less of a need for a shutdown guy than other teams. They have Hamhuis and Bieska who've performed very well in this area before and should be able to do so again. While neither is that true #1/2 D who shuts guys down, as a pair they do pretty good (defensively, physically, block shots, eat minutes, etc). So while Staal would be nice (heck most teams would want him), I don't see Vancouver targeting him. I'd expect to see them go after another PMD who can help the PP or a winger for Kesler/Booth.

Additionally, why does Vancouver even consider this after moving Hodgson? Can Stepan truly be a 70 pt guy (keeping in mind there were only 21 of them in the league this yr - 7 of which are centers)?

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Kershaw

I don't think Kesler's value is that much higher than Stepan's. He's always been injured come playoff time and is coming off another shoulder surgery. He also struggled to score immensively down the stretch. He is a player that lived off of the Sedin Twins on the PP last year and he's struggled this year. Stepan is young, has a bargain year left in his RFA contract and is RFA eligible for quite a while. Call me a homer, but I do not make this move straight up.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Avs44

vCash: 50
Yeah...giving up the two best players in the deal is never a good idea...pretty easy no from the Canucks I think

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Cogburn

Quality over quantity.

Both Edler and Kesler signed sweetheart deals to stay in Vancouver. Kesler is better then Stepan, Edleri is better then Staal, and a late first and Fasth or Thomas don't make up the difference. Either of these players moved would need an equally impactful player back for us, and the way our team is designed, Staal and Stepan wouldn't have that impact here, or at least not to the degree they would in New York.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:27 PM
LeX4cavalier

Quote:
I don't think Kesler's value is that much higher than Stepan's. He's always been injured come playoff time and is coming off another shoulder surgery. He also struggled to score immensively down the stretch. He is a player that lived off of the Sedin Twins on the PP last year and he's struggled this year. Stepan is young, has a bargain year left in his RFA contract and is RFA eligible for quite a while. Call me a homer, but I do not make this move straight up.
The Canucks would die laughing if only Stepan was offered for Kesler, so you don't have to worry about it.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
The Canucks would die laughing if only Stepan was offered for Kesler, so you don't have to worry about it.
Good.

Stepan will outproduce Kesler next year again. Book it.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Due to an injury our idiot coaches and management decided he was recovered "enough" from. Good bye solid play, secondary scoring and defensive/physical play. It's the same way that an injury that wasn't dealt with, like Gaborik with Minnesota, can ruin a series of seasons. 26 games in 3 seasons, all different, ranging from a separated shoulder to a concussion to a groin pull, doesn't scream "injury prone", and after being labelled "Glass-orik", he seems to be shouldering the load well. I have no doubt Kesler will bounce back if given the time to recover properly this time.

For the record, he still played with the Sedins this year as well.

One bargain year of Stepan, before a presumed raise, versus what Kesler will do for us for the length of his for the remainder. Stepan will be good, absolutely no doubt, but we want to win now, now in 5 or 3 or even the year after next.

I am glad you don't, because Vancouver will not either.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:34 PM
LeX4cavalier

Quote:
Good.

Outproducing someone who will likely play a lot less games than you is not very impressive.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Canucks wont move Edler. He, along with Bieksa, are our only offensive d-men. There was a noticeable lack of offensive talent on the back end when Ehrhoff left, so trading Edler will be horrific.

Is Girardi pretty much untouchable? I think the Rangers would have to trade him if they want Kesler.
Staal is good and all, but he's left handed and plays on the left side. The Canucks need a right handed guy to play with Edler, preferably someone who is good defensively.

I'm thinking of a deal based around Stepan, Dubinsky, and Girardi for Kesler, Raymond, M.A. Gragnani, and a couple of prospects/picks*. (maybe a 1st and a decent prospect)

*And the Canucks agree to not go after Justin Schultz.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar

Last edited by Nuckles: 05-10-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Good.

Yeah..especially since Kesler is out until January. Seems like a legit comparison.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Canucks wont move Edler. He, along with Bieksa, are our only offensive d-men. There was a noticeable lack of offensive talent on the back end when Ehrhoff left, so trading Edler will be horrific.

Is Girardi pretty much untouchable? I think the Rangers would have to trade him if they want Kesler.
Staal is good and all, but he's left handed and plays on the left side. The Canucks need a right handed guy to play with Edler, preferably someone who is good defensively.

I'm thinking of a deal based around Stepan, Dubinsky, and Girardi for Kesler, Raymond, M.A. Gragnani, and a couple of prospects/picks.
If Girardi is untouchable, then why are we discussing Kesler and Edler in one trade?

For Rangers fans, Edler and Kesler are our Callahan and Girardi. We have fans throwing their names out, but some of the returns that have been asked for are silly, even to a homer like me.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:41 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Yeah..especially since Kesler is out until January. Seems like a legit comparison.
isn't he out until november

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
6 months from now is early-mid November, not January.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Outproducing someone who will likely play a lot less games than you is not very impressive.
Quote:
So how does this deal help make the Rangers the better team? They are taking a huge risk if they deal one of their homegrown young talent for a guy who has taken a beating over the past few years. Kesler is a great player, but I have my doubts that he'll stay healthy or even produce like he did the previous season.