HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
theFinn

vCash: 500
Well, session 2 of my beginner class was last night...

Session 1 last week was, I think its fair to say, an abject failure on my part. There's nothing that'll highlight how out of shape you are than hockey practice. I could hardly participate thanks to my back deciding it had had enough after about 5 minutes. I spent the entire session either hunched over, on my knees, or on the bench watching. Added to that about 75% of the class is WAY more advanced then me it left me dejected and thinking I'd made a huge mistake.

The next day I got up, in a lot of pain, and felt sorry for myself but determined for it to be better next time. I spent the rest of the week working out, running and lifting some weights.

Cut to last night, session 2. It was about 1000% better (no exaggeration!). I kept up with the rest of the group, I participated in all the drills and didn't have to drop to my knees once all session. My back was mostly fine and in the breaks between the drills I had enough time to recover and be ready for the next one. We worked on stopping (I'm good on my left side, okay on my right), cross overs (not good at this, can do it on my left side but I'm useless on my right), forward to backward pivots (actually somewhat easier then I expected) and backwards skating (wow I'm bad at this...), then we ended it with a little shootout. I had a ******* blast! As down as I felt after session 1 is as high as I felt after session 2, it was super awesome. Lot of encouragement from the other guys there too, lots of stick and glove taps all around.

My balance is already getting better, I managed a good hockey stop at least once on both sides and for the first time in my life I managed to do a cross over. My backwards skating needs a lot of work, and I have to work on not losing momentum when I pivot but it feels like it's coming along and I feel awesome today! Actually woke up with a smile on my face.

Only bad part about last night was that after I took my shot in the shootout (didn't score, boo!) I turned to head back to the bench and fell flat on my face . I tried to save myself in the worst possible way and managed to pull an abdominal muscle, hurt like hell last night but isn't feeling too bad today. Should be fine by next weeks session!

Woo! Hockey!

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
BigDuke6

That's great. I went through what you are going through last September. It gets better, keep practicing.

I still hate crossovers, but I'm now at the point where I'm not nervous about them, I just keep doing them over an over to get more comfortable. I couldn't skate backwards at all when we started that part of my class, now I love doing it for some reason.

The whole sport is addicting as hell. When I started all this last fall I told my wife if we were independently wealthy I would go to the rink everyday to work on my skating. My biggest frustration is I only get on the ice maybe twice a week.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
beth

Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted in this thread and I love seeing the new faces and reading your stories!

I'm between seasons now - summer league doesn't start until 5/22, so I just have to keep myself busy with lessons and stick-n-puck.

My last game I got two goals - a backhander and finally my first one-timer! It was awesome. I've been trying to pull that one off forever! I'd specifically asked my coach to work on one-timers with me and it finally paid off!

Anyhoo, Just wanted to say "hey" and welcome to all the new noobs! Keep getting out there and you will be awesome before you know it!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:20 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Played my first game tonight on a real team in a real league.

Feels good, man.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:38 AM
CPAir

I played my first game last friday night, we won 3-2. I was on the ice for 2 of our goals and somehow i got an assist on one of them though i don't even remember touching the puck all that often. Everything is so chaotic out there:
Trying to keep up, trying to stay onside, trying for the puck, trying to watch the play, trying to stay in position, trying not to fall! LOL.

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:59 AM
cbjbluejackets61
This is neat!

i haven't posted in this thread before, but i just started hockey last year. Out of the blue, i decided to go out for my high school hockey team as a senior. (been wanting to play since i was 7)

long story short, being the new guy, i didnt play much and after the season i got kinda depressed.

but then our league had a "pond hockey" league and i joined to give it another shot. within three games i had 2 assissts and 1 goal.

cbjbluejackets61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:20 PM
ganave

Just a little over a week before I can start playing goalie. My chest/arm protector, block and catcher should turn up today.

My color combination is going to be so awesome. Taking suggestions on what jersey color I should pick up to go with my dark blue blocker, white and light blue catcher and red and black leg pads.

I'll be sure to post a pic tomorrow or Saturday for laughs.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:27 AM
phillyt45

After lurking for the last few weeks on here, I decided I should post since these boards have been pretty helpful. I've been a hockey fan ever since going to some Canucks games as a kid and have wanted to play for a while. Now that I am done with college and actually have the money / time I figure there is no reason for me to not be playing hockey. I went skating for the first time since like middle school (I'm 24 now) a couple weeks ago. I couldn't hockey stop do any of the more advanced stuff, but I have pretty good balance so I can go forward and stuff without falling.

My dad started playing 5 years ago having never skated before and now is a good skater so it is encouraging to see how practicing a lot pays off. He was also able to get me a bag with a full set of gear (minus skates and a decent stick) for cheap from a coworker and gave it to me! And I just got my skates today. I will be taking one of the adult learn to play hockey classes that are offered in my area in a few months. But for now I am just planning on working out and hitting the rec skates a bunch since I need obviously learn to skate and need to get in better shape (gained a lot of weight after starting a desk job after college). Needless to say, I am really excited to finally start playing! I will try to give some updates, as I have found reading others' stories to be pretty helpful in knowing what to expect.

... And maybe in the future I will get to challenge Beth since we live in the same area

phillyt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyt45 View Post
After lurking for the last few weeks on here, I decided I should post since these boards have been pretty helpful. I've been a hockey fan ever since going to some Canucks games as a kid and have wanted to play for a while. Now that I am done with college and actually have the money / time I figure there is no reason for me to not be playing hockey. I went skating for the first time since like middle school (I'm 24 now) a couple weeks ago. I couldn't hockey stop do any of the more advanced stuff, but I have pretty good balance so I can go forward and stuff without falling.
Basically the exact same story for me (23). Been lurking for a while, and a huge sharks fan. Finished my college baseball-football eligibility and didn't realize how much i would miss the competition. Trying to do something new and challenging got me excited, so i said what the heck. Skated today for the first time in a long time, and now i'm hooked. (seriously, I want to go skate again right now, and am definitely going tomorrow)

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
steev182

That's a great story phillyt45. What'd be even better is if you could play on the same team as your dad! I wanted to play adult soccer on the same team as mine, but he quit when he joined the Police (and I was just getting into High School) so I took up Rugby instead. Yesterday he had his hip replaced at 50, which he believes is because the NHS and the Police both put off repairing his knee cartilage for so long that his body adapted to that pain/problem and began wearing down his hip. Oh, and I live an ocean away.

Hopefully, when I have kids, they'll get into Hockey too and I'll be able to play with them instead!

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:51 PM
phillyt45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Basically the exact same story for me (23). Been lurking for a while, and a huge sharks fan. Finished my college baseball-football eligibility and didn't realize how much i would miss the competition. Trying to do something new and challenging got me excited, so i said what the heck. Skated today for the first time in a long time, and now i'm hooked. (seriously, I want to go skate again right now, and am definitely going tomorrow)
Yeah, totally. I only played intramurals in college, but played basketball, baseball and football through high school and now just playing rec league basketball once a week is not cutting it for me. It's pretty awesome to have something new to learn.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Yeah, totally. I only played intramurals in college, but played basketball, baseball and football through high school and now just playing rec league basketball once a week is not cutting it for me. It's pretty awesome to have something new to learn.
I tried the pick up basketball thing and it wasn't as enjoyable as I wanted it to be. Beer league softball was just too familiar. There is no way to explain how I felt walking into a hackey shop for the first time. I was petrified by how unfamiliar it was and i loved how nervous I was. Haven't felt like that since freshman year football. It's really refreshing to put myself in an uncomfortable athletic situation, especially one that requires so much skill. Here's to hoping I see some improvement.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:13 PM
beth

Quote:
... And maybe in the future I will get to challenge Beth since we live in the same area
Bring it on! Too bad you didn't post a few weeks earlier! You just missed the beginner HES class and another clinic put on by Erik Hanson at Castle Ice on fridays that's going on right now!

I usually do stick and puck on sunday mornings (either kingsgate or castle) and have my lesson. Let me know if you ever want to join me and I can help you learn! See you around the rink, and welcome!

Old
05-11-2012, 10:17 PM
qmechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I tried the pick up basketball thing and it wasn't as enjoyable as I wanted it to be. Beer league softball was just too familiar. There is no way to explain how I felt walking into a hackey shop for the first time. I was petrified by how unfamiliar it was and i loved how nervous I was. Haven't felt like that since freshman year football. It's really refreshing to put myself in an uncomfortable athletic situation, especially one that requires so much skill. Here's to hoping I see some improvement.
I'm hoping to get back to the Bay Area soon. If so, we might be able to meet up!

Last edited by qmechanic: 05-11-2012 at 10:38 PM.
qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
I'm hoping to get back to the Bay Area soon. If so, we might be able to meet up!
Yeah that would be awesome. Day two went well today. Tried to do a crossover, felt pretty good and didn't fall, (turning left is significantly easier for some reason) but i probably did it completely wrong. Did eat it pretty hard on my first hockey stop attempt though. Totally worth the attempt

Old
05-12-2012, 02:10 AM
phillyt45

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Bring it on! Too bad you didn't post a few weeks earlier! You just missed the beginner HES class and another clinic put on by Erik Hanson at Castle Ice on fridays that's going on right now!

I usually do stick and puck on sunday mornings (either kingsgate or castle) and have my lesson. Let me know if you ever want to join me and I can help you learn! See you around the rink, and welcome!
Yeah, I was bummed when I saw that I missed the Spring HES class at Olympicview Arena since that is only 15 minutes from my place. There is a class in Everett that has sessions year round so I can take one of those once I improve my skating. And yeah that would be cool to possibly meet up in the future! I'm trying to see if any of the guys that I know around here that play would be willing to help me out with some basics.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Just bought myself a pair of proper inline skates today. Used as my backup skates during the summer if I feel like sweating a bucket and burning some fat.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:46 AM
beth

Quote:
Yeah, I was bummed when I saw that I missed the Spring HES class at Olympicview Arena since that is only 15 minutes from my place. There is a class in Everett that has sessions year round so I can take one of those once I improve my skating. And yeah that would be cool to possibly meet up in the future! I'm trying to see if any of the guys that I know around here that play would be willing to help me out with some basics.
Well, don't feel like you have to be at a certain level to go to the stick-n-pucks. Just put your gear on and come out! There are always brand-new skaters and everyone is really nice! Nobody cares if you are still finding your feet. And it's cool to see people improve each week. Just suck it up and get out there.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:17 PM
phillyt45

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Well, don't feel like you have to be at a certain level to go to the stick-n-pucks. Just put your gear on and come out! There are always brand-new skaters and everyone is really nice! Nobody cares if you are still finding your feet. And it's cool to see people improve each week. Just suck it up and get out there.
Oh, cool. That's good to know because I wasn't sure what stick-and-pucks were like as far as people learning to skate. I really need to get a stick though. I plan on doing that this week. I'm up in Bellingham visiting family for the weekend, just got my skates sharpened and will be hitting up the rec skate in a couple hours. The guy working there said it should be pretty empty today because of this great weather so it will be a good day to work on some stuff.

Old
05-12-2012, 07:47 PM
ganave

As promised, here is a picture of my goalie pads/blocker/catcher/neckguard/chest and arm protector. I have pants, skates, jock and knee protector, but didn't feel they would add anything to the picture. Also everything is very loose, need to adjust straps so the c/a sits higher to protect my clavicle and neck.

It matches better than I expected though!

(Excuse the mess in the background, I'm in the midst of stowing my skiing stuff and dragging out my baseball and hockey gear.

Only need a helmet, neck dangler and stick now!

Old
05-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
As promised, here is a picture of my goalie pads/blocker/catcher/neckguard/chest and arm protector. I have pants, skates, jock and knee protector, but didn't feel they would add anything to the picture. Also everything is very loose, need to adjust straps so the c/a sits higher to protect my clavicle and neck.

It matches better than I expected though!

(Excuse the mess in the background, I'm in the midst of stowing my skiing stuff and dragging out my baseball and hockey gear.

Only need a helmet, neck dangler and stick now!
Nice! How much did all of that cost?

Old
05-12-2012, 10:38 PM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Nice! How much did all of that cost?
Leg pads were $80
C/A + Blocker + glove + Throat Guard + (not used in a game goalie jock) = $260
Reebok 7K pants $110
Bauer 60 skates = $200

Stick, helmet and neck guard will probably run at least $300 if not $400.

This is also pretty cheap, I got an awesome deal from a guy on HFBoards for the blocker, C/A and glove.

The glove is awesome. As a baseball player I think catching the puck is going to be awesome.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Leg pads were $80
C/A + Blocker + glove + Throat Guard + (not used in a game goalie jock) = $260
Reebok 7K pants $110
Bauer 60 skates = $200

Stick, helmet and neck guard will probably run at least $300 if not $400.

This is also pretty cheap, I got an awesome deal from a guy on HFBoards for the blocker, C/A and glove.

The glove is awesome. As a baseball player I think catching the puck is going to be awesome.
I went back and fourth on whether to go the goalie or skater route. I'm leaning towards skater, but seeing how i've only bought my skates (because of how much work i need), i guess i can still decide either way. Also being a baseball player, how did you make the decision?

Old
05-13-2012, 12:14 AM
ganave

I chose goalie because I like that the puck stops with me.

Not sure how to describe why I want to play goal, but I like the pressure of the position. I guess it would be what a starting pitcher feels. I used to play catcher and I liked being involved in every pitch.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:26 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
I chose goalie because I like that the puck stops with me.

Not sure how to describe why I want to play goal, but I like the pressure of the position. I guess it would be what a starting pitcher feels. I used to play catcher and I liked being involved in every pitch.
I would play goalie just so I can say I stop rubbers from going though my five hole.