HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryz SovSport interview translated by PD's Dmitry Chesnokov

Old
05-10-2012, 05:13 PM
FlyerGuy18

vCash: 500
Bryz SovSport interview translated by PD's Dmitry Chesnokov

Quote:
Goalie Ilya Bryzgalov had an eventful first season with the Philadelphia Flyers. He recently spoke with Natalia Bragilevskaya, SovSport's reporter in Philadelphia, about losing to the New Jersey Devils and that David Clarkson goal; how difficult the critics have been to deal with this season; and whether he ever regretted signing with the Flyers.

To say the least, Bryzgalov had some candid thoughts about the pressure of being a Flyer. For example:

"We have an excellent team. All the guys are good, the management is great. But there is a lot of negativity surrounding the team. You did everything you could on the ice. You go to the locker room and someone yells some nonsense at your back. They're ready to eat you alive. It's unpleasant, because we are all people. You should understand that I am not speaking out against the fans. Philadelphia has great fans, they are the majority. They are always with the team in difficult times. Even after a mistake they say words of support. But who didn't make mistakes in this world?"

The original Russian story is here. Enjoy this translation:

Q. You're in a bad mood, Ilya?

BRYZGALOV: "Of course. I was expecting different. But New Jersey played better."

It appeared that after the series against Pittsburgh you're not afraid of anything.

"These are two absolutely different teams. The Penguins, just like us, rely a lot on their offense. They play the Brazilian system: 'You score as many as you can. We [score] as many as we want. We got an open hockey.' And New Jersey is similar to other clubs left in the playoffs. Their defense is good. They don't let you create a lot of chances in their zone. I was very surprised by what the Devils showed. They outplayed us in every component."

What can you say about yourself? You made a few mistakes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...43.html?cmp=fb

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-10-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Can't post whole article
FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
MsWoof

I think you're only supposed to put a paragraph or two in quotes, then the link.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.
MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Interesting comments.

Hopefully this year was a learning experience for him and he does work next year.

I'm expecting big things from him.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Norm MacDonald

Infuriating article and awful attitude for a player to have. Take some ****ing pride in winning instead of doing just enough to safely deflect the blame onto others.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Haha, damnit Woof....you just had to quote the whole article, didn't you? It took me days to highlight all of it

05-10-2012, 05:28 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

If you guys can't amnesty him, I think you should trade him for another bad contract out there. You'll never win with this guy.

Maybe Bryz for Rick De Pietro?

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:32 PM
EvilAsh
Lockouts Rule!

The more I read his interviews and see his media interactions the more I forget about some of the insanity and like him. He's a decent person but a shaky goaltender (at times). It seems he thinks too much into little things and it gets him off his game.

EvilAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:06 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Haha, damnit Woof....you just had to quote the whole article, didn't you? It took me days to highlight all of it
I just like to keep you on your toes...errrr, fins!

Old
05-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Devastate

Very good interview. I like this guy.

Hopefully next year is a different story

Devastate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Russo Turisto
West Coast User

A good and honest interview. I always appreciate players' honesty without cheap slogans and clichés for media and fans. If you don't like it, read robot style ones a-la Crosby - always the same, always politically correct, always say what everybody wants to hear.

Russo Turisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Top Cheese Danish

I really think if English was his first language, no one would laugh at his interviews. He comes across as really thoughtful and intelligent. It's a shame he's a hockey player, where those two qualities have no value unless your team is winning.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Mgkibbles

Said it before, and I'll say it again, I would love this guy if he could stop pucks more consistently. Best personality of any athlete. Just needs to forget about the media, they like to stir **** in this city because they don't understand the sport and think they're acting as Philly Sports TMZ. Bryz should be fine next year if he plays more aggressive and challenges shooters like he did during his hot streaks this past season.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:28 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
I really think if English was his first language, no one would laugh at his interviews. He comes across as really thoughtful and intelligent. It's a shame he's a hockey player, where those two qualities have no value unless your team is winning.
This. His English is not up to par, and he is translating his thoughts almost verbatim. Unfortunately, that does not always work for him. His interviews in Russian are very deep, thoughtful and honest.

Also, the original article contained exerpts of the interview with Russian National head coach regarding him. It appears that it was a mutial decision for Bryz not to participate in WC. Also, the coach reassured that Bryz is one of the main candidates for the Olympics in Sochi.

I will be screening Russian press periodically to bring his interviews to this forum.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
s3x

This made me genuinely sad.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

You won't change the fans, the media as well.

"You can change your own view of the situation. Not be reflective. To listen and read less negativity. As I said, I learned a serious lesson. And next season I will only be better."

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:38 PM
StandingCow

Really good interview. Bryz is such a good guy... I really hope he does better next season... for his sake and ours.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:47 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

This article basically sums up what I felt about him. I even tried to Tweet to him to say positive things earlier in the year. He has feelings, we got to him. He's not a robot, I completely agree. Hopefully next year he's able to embrace the fans and play the way he's capable of.

Great article, love Bryz as a person and as a goalie in March. This position is completely mental.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Ryker

I can't but agree with the general sentiment here. I think he has a great personality, and while that doesn't change my opinion on his play this year (which is not all that bad, honestly), there's no way I'll ever hate the guy if he stays that way, regardless of his on-ice performance.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:18 AM
jwillo1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
I thought this, after his 24/7 escapade. Wow, he has a deep intellectual outlook on this world/universe, shocking! I found it funny, because some physicists share similar philosophy's. I do believe if he speaks fluent English, he maybe considered one of the more smarter hockey players in the league. But like you said, winning and losing is whats more important in sports.

jwillo1829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:32 AM
clodejirew

Bryz needs to suck it up. He should have known that he was going to get a lot of attention after signing a billion dollar contract to play in Philly for the next decade.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:21 AM
nhlfan9191

Beyond weak mentally. He needs an intervention. His season was a trainerwreck.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Psuhockey

I think the guy will be alright. He went from one probably positive beat writer to twenty who want to blast him cause of his big contract, he's russian, and most importantly he's the Flyers goalie. I have never seen the hate displayed by commentators to another Philadelphia athlete, and I am not exaggerating. You had Michael Barkham acting like a 2-bit psychologist blasting him because he made a joke after a win he played bad in and analyzing his arm movements after goals on the ice. I do believe most writers were rooting for him to fail; it's a easier story. You a had a bozo blame him for no shutting out New Jersey in game 2 when he solely kept them in the game. That goal on the bad clear was a god sent for them. Don't get me wrong, I do believe Bryzgalov should of played better this year but hockey is a team game. The defense was putrid and there was no Matt Carle has problems with turnovers or Danny Briere doesn't play defense stories. It's all about the goalie and how he's paid to much. In my opinion so are the sports writers in this town, who still cant go to cap geek and get the Flyers salary cap situation right. Ok I am off the soap box.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:36 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Beyond weak mentally. He needs an intervention. His season was a trainerwreck.
Yup. I look at this article and I see someone who can't handle pressure and who still blames his teammates. 8 more years...

Edit: My mistake, I thought he was blaming a teammate when he mentioned a pass being intercepted but he was speaking hypothetically.

Last edited by MsWoof: 05-11-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old
05-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Yup. I look at this article and I see someone who can't handle pressure and who still blames his teammates. 8 more years...
Where did he blame his teammates?

He merely said he gets pinned down by the media for every single bad goal he lets in (even though anyone barely mentions the dude was Philly's best player in the NJ series), and the players don't get nearly as much mistakes for missing open nets etc.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:51 AM
healthyscratch

Are some of you reading a different article or is your blind hatred just muddling your reading comprehension abilities? You're the type of fans that he's referring to. Sheesh.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote