HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Trade Talk Part. 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Luongo Trade Talk Part. 3

Old thread reached 1000 post limit....

(link to old thread for those interested): http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...178503&page=41

Quoting last two posts in that thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamJET View Post
Booth kesler kane

Fast, strong, gritty, and skills.

do it gillis do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Gillis would....Bowman however would not. Simple as that.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Easton76

To TOR: Luongo, Raymond's rights

To Van: Schenn, Colbourne, 1st 2013 ( if Leafs make playoffs) OR 2nd 2013 ( if Leafs don't make playoffs)

Old
05-11-2012, 03:04 AM
Slapshot_11

Luongo, our 1st to TBL for Connolly and 1st plz

Old
05-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Bleach Clean

Not going to happen but just for kicks:

Luongo to TO for Kadri and Percy. Essentially, this is Luongo to TBay for Connolly and DET 1st only for TO. (Percy was a late 1st rndr himself after all)

Old
05-11-2012, 05:39 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
I really really want to get Purcell out of Tampa.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:58 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Luongo and Ballard for Gudbranson and Upshall (assuming he'd agree to waive his NTC).

Old
05-11-2012, 08:21 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
I really really want to get Purcell out of Tampa.
Why? He's another soft top 6 forward who's only slightly better than Raymond. I doubt he has success here.

05-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why? He's another soft top 6 forward who's only slightly better than Raymond. I doubt he has success here.
Not at all really. Purcell is a solid playmaker that has good vision. Raymond is a very fast player, and that's about it.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Didn't Purcell lead the NHL in points over the 2nd half?

Teddy Purcell would be an excellent fit on Kesler's wing. Big, strong, protects the puck well and makes his linemates better.

Has shown he can excel in the playoffs as well. Ryane Clowe would be a better comparison than Mason Raymond - though Purcell is better than Clowe as too...

Old
05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
The Pucks

Luongo to Boston for Chara.

based on the same amount of reality as the rest of these proposals.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Purcell is bigger, drives the net more consistantly and is more of a playmaker than a shooter.

I'd be very happy if Purcell is part of the package that Luongo returns.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Peter

If Toronto really is keen on getting Luongo - and the fact we probably will have to take some "contract money" back - how about this:

To Toronto: Luongo
To Vancouver: Schenn and Lombardi

Canucks take on $7.1 million in contract dollars and get oursleves a center to replace Kesler till he is back and who can easily slide down to 3rd line slot - albeit at a pretty high price for a 3rd line center - but it is only for two seasons. Canucks also get a potential #1 d-man...time will tell...who is locked up at decent money for a good d-man for a long time. If he doesn't pan out (as some are now suggesting) that is the price we pay for someone talking on Loui's life time deal.

This, IMO, allows us to move Malhotra and Ballard to free up cap space to make another move or two.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:37 AM
crazycanuck

How about Luongo for Purcell, Tyrell, 2nd (37th Overall)

Old
05-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
If Toronto really is keen on getting Luongo - and the fact we probably will have to take some "contract money" back - how about this:

Canucks take on $7.1 million in contract dollars and get oursleves a center to replace Kesler till he is back and who can easily slide down to 3rd line slot - albeit at a pretty high price for a 3rd line center - but it is only for two seasons. Canucks also get a potential #1 d-man...time will tell...who is locked up at decent money for a good d-man for a long time. If he doesn't pan out (as some are now suggesting) that is the price we pay for someone talking on Loui's life time deal.

This, IMO, allows us to move Malhotra and Ballard to free up cap space to make another move or two.
While I understand the rationality, we need a pick coming back to take Lombardi off Toronto's hands. Not to mention I shudder at the thought of us potentially playing two months of the season with Lombardi as our second line center. At this stage of his career, it is near debatable he is even an upgrade on Lapierre. I would prefer a Bozak type player, who is essentially a tweer second/third line guy.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Schenn has potential, but to say he's #1 potential is kind of pushing it. He's going to have to develop exponentially over the next few years for that to happen. I'd say his upside is probably similar to Anton Volchenkov with maybe a touch more offense, but he's got a long way to go.

I wouldn't touch that trade with a 10 foot pole. Two overpriced players with big question marks for an upper echelon goalie? No thanks, the Canucks aren't in business to help other teams get better at their own expense.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Purcell is bigger, drives the net more consistantly and is more of a playmaker than a shooter.

I'd be very happy if Purcell is part of the package that Luongo returns.
He hits less than the Sedins, and his 15.8% shooting percentage is unsustainable.

How many of his assists came off Stamkos goals? (not sure myself so serious question).

Old
05-11-2012, 11:18 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
He hits less than the Sedins, and his 15.8% shooting percentage is unsustainable.

How many of his assists came off Stamkos goals? (not sure myself so serious question).
See I don't use the hit stat to decide whether or not a player is "soft" or not. The Sedins may not hit much but their game is the cycle and they take a lot of abuse because of it.

Even if he did have a lot of assists on Stamkos goals, wouldn't that make him a good linemate for Kesler?

Old
05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
See I don't use the hit stat to decide whether or not a player is "soft" or not. The Sedins may not hit much but their game is the cycle and they take a lot of abuse because of it.

Even if he did have a lot of assists on Stamkos goals, wouldn't that make him a good linemate for Kesler?
This team lacks forwards who initiate contact. We make life far too easy for opposing defensemen, meanwhile other physical teams beat the hell out of our dmen, forcing turnovers and injuries. Another non physical player in our top 6 makes us very easy to play against.

And Kesler's goal scoring ability is nowhere near as good as Stamkos. So in addition to a regression in goals, I would anticipate a regression in assists too. Is a 40-50 point non-physical winger a good return for an elite goalie? I say not a chance.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Luongo to Boston for Chara.

based on the same amount of reality as the rest of these proposals.
Thank you. A voice of reason.

Luongo is not going to garner Connolly and a 1st, heck, not even Connolly on his own. The guy's contract is grossly excessive and no matter how anyone spins it, it's simply too much for a guy who is as inconsistent in games that matter as Lu is.

I do think a team will take a flyer on him, but not at the expense of anything overtly valuable.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:36 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post

Luongo is not going to garner Connolly and a 1st, heck, not even Connolly on his own. The guy's contract is grossly excessive and no matter how anyone spins it, it's simply too much for a guy who is as inconsistent in games that matter as Lu is.

I do think a team will take a flyer on him, but not at the expense of anything overtly valuable.
You are grossly undervaluing a top 5 goalie.

Luongo won 15 playoff games last year and was our Conn Smythe candidate until he could no longer carry the dead team around him.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:36 AM
arsmaster

Quote:

I strongly disagree and would rather move Schneider if that is the case.

Ps. Connolly is a 'decent' prospect. People throw his name around like he's you are guaranteeing yourself a future 40 goal scorer.

I'm not sold on him at all. That is not the key piece I would want in return. I don't think he even makes this team next season.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Canucker

Quote:

Disagree completely. Luongo's contract is the worst thing about dealing for him, but it's a good cap hit for someone with Luongo's resume and the term might be 10 years remaining but it has to be viewed as a 6 year deal and he probably has at least 4 years of top notch goaltending left in him. He's not a "bargain" but he is still a top end goalie with enough time left he can help a team looking to fill a hole. He's not going to go for peanuts.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:40 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I strongly disagree and would rather move Schneider if that is the case.

Ps. Connolly is a 'decent' prospect. People throw his name around like he's you are guaranteeing yourself a future 40 goal scorer.

I'm not sold on him at all. That is not the key piece I would want in return. I don't think he even makes this team next season.
Connolly has good potential but hasn't really shown much at the NHL level. If it weren't for his draft position I doubt people care about him.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Connolly has good potential but hasn't really shown much at the NHL level. If it weren't for his draft position I doubt people care about him.
Draft position and province of birth

Old
05-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You are grossly undervaluing a top 5 goalie.

Luongo won 15 playoff games last year and was our Conn Smythe candidate until he could no longer carry the dead team around him.
You mean he was a Conn Smythe candidate untill he **** the bed in games 3, 4, 6 and 7.

Closed Thread