HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

USA Hockey Coaching and Ref certifications

Old
05-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Comeback40

vCash: 500
USA Hockey Coaching and Ref certifications

Just curious about getting started for both coaching and reffing, can you get the higher level certifications all at once? I'm in MA.

Comeback40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Gino 14

I know with reffing you start at the bottom and can only progress a level a year. I have no idea how coaching works.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:57 PM
beth

USA Hockey is a coaching level per year - you find a clinic happening near you on the USA Hockey website. So the first year you would attend the Level 1 clinic. Next year, go to the Level 2 clinic, etc. Then there are online modules for each age group (mites/squirts/bantams/etc) that you have to complete on top of that. You can take as many of those as you want, but you have to finish one first before you can start the next one. I have my Level 2 for Mites and Squirts.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Comeback40

Thanks for the info, I'm just not that familiar with what the levels mean, and not that I'm opposed to it, but does that mean a level one can only coach mites/squirts? ...and the same for refs?

Old
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeback40 View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm just not that familiar with what the levels mean, and not that I'm opposed to it, but does that mean a level one can only coach mites/squirts? ...and the same for refs?
I'm fairly certain you can be level one and do the bantam module, for example, and be able to coach bantams.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeback40 View Post
The levels just show progression. You need to keep progressing until you hit level 4. Like Beth said, though, all you need to do to coach a certain age group is take that specific certification module.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Comeback40

Thanks Everyone!

Old
05-11-2012, 12:22 PM
donkers*

Wow, how long have these requirements been around? Pretty sure my bantam coach couldn't even spell his name let alone go to class or take an online module.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
Wow, how long have these requirements been around? Pretty sure my bantam coach couldn't even spell his name let alone go to class or take an online module.
Did you play in-house or travel? The certifications are not required for in-house in the U.S. They are only required to coach travel hockey teams affiliated with USAH.

And while I think the training is great, having the certs doesn't necessarily mean a coach really knows what he's doing. Some of the worst coaches in our league are USAH certified coaches.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:01 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Did you play in-house or travel? The certifications are not required for in-house in the U.S. They are only required to coach travel hockey teams affiliated with USAH.
I think that depends on the league? Our house league all the coaches have to be USA Hockey certified.

Old
05-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
I think that depends on the league? Our house league all the coaches have to be USA Hockey certified.
True, local leagues can set whatever guidelines they like, but it's not a requirement for a league to be affiliated with USAH. A large in-house youth league like ours would never have enough coaches if they limited it to USAH certified coaches. And until USAH starts offering the courses locally in every major city, a lot of coaches aren't going to go through the trouble of getting certified.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote