HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2012, 03:22 AM
  #751
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
An early outlook on 2013:

1. CE - Aleksander Barkov (Tappara)
2. D - Rasmus Ristolainen (TPS)
3. RW/LW - Artturi Lehkonen (KalPa)
4. GK - Ville Husso (HIFK)
5. D - Matias Pulli (TPS)
6. D - Atte Mäkinen (Tappara)
7. D - Mikke Levo (Ilves)
8. GK - Janne Juvonen (Pelicans)
9. CE/RW - Joose Antonen (Ilves)
10. GK - Antti Karjalainen (Ilves)
11. W/CE - Eetu Koivistoinen (Blues)
12. RW/CE - Juuso Ikonen (Blues)
13. CE - Saku Salminen (Jokerit)
14. GK - Kevin Lankinen (Jokerit)
15. CE/W - Jonatan Tanus (Tappara)
16. D - Jimi Kuronen (HIFK)
17. CE/LW - Aleksi Mustonen (Jokerit)
18. CE - Aleksi Ainali (HIFK)
19. GK - Atte Tolvanen (Ässät)
20. LW/RW - Timi Lahtinen (Jokerit)
21. D - Valtteri Parikka (KalPa)
22. GK - Juuse Saros (HPK)
23. LW/RW - Kasperi Nuto (Ässät)
24. D - Santeri Saari (Jokerit)
25. LW/CE - Saku Kinnunen (KalPa)


Last edited by Tormentor: 05-11-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Tormentor is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 09:43 AM
  #752
TheRocket87
Registered User
 
TheRocket87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
23. LW/RW - Kasperi Nuto (Ässät)



Seriously, no chance. Niko Ojamäki from Ässät is much better and even he is a longshot.

TheRocket87 is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 09:58 AM
  #753
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
How did Tanus fall so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket87 View Post
23. LW/RW - Kasperi Nuto (Ässät)



Seriously, no chance. Niko Ojamäki from Ässät is much better and even he is a longshot.
He is 23. after all, so isn't the a bit much?

YARR123 is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 10:38 AM
  #754
TheRocket87
Registered User
 
TheRocket87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
How did Tanus fall so much?



He is 23. after all, so isn't the a bit much?
Well since there are at least 3 guys on the same team that are more promising/better than him eligible for the same draft...

And I wasn't trying to insult, but simply state that he really is in the wrong company there.

Also I really like Tormentor as a poster and value his opinion so I was very surprised.

TheRocket87 is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 10:39 AM
  #755
Eyelanders
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Great lists, Tormentor! There is not much that I would disagree about, however, I would have Lintuniemi higher for the 2014 draft. I was very impressed by him in the playoffs. I´m not sure whether I would have Kuhakoski in the top-10. He´s got great size, that´s for sure, and he plays a physical game, but he needs some improvement in the mental part of the game. He took some unnecessary penalties in the games that I saw. His puck skills are decent and he is a versatile player.

BTW, what do you think about Niko Kivelä, who played in the same team as Kuhakoski over the season? He didn´t get a ton of ice-time when I saw him, but he might have some intriguing potential as he had pretty good point totals nonetheless. He is fast and he has some puck skills. He looked also bigger than he´s listed at (6´1").

Eyelanders is offline  
Old
05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
  #756
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket87 View Post
23. LW/RW - Kasperi Nuto (Ässät)



Seriously, no chance. Niko Ojamäki from Ässät is much better and even he is a longshot.
Nuto is a small, lightweight player, and for the most part his all-around game isn’t that great at the moment, but I think he has some smarts and a skill aspect to his game. He did quite well in Jr.A considering his age and slightly limited tool box. He needs to grow, get stronger and work hard on his game, but I think that it’s at least worth keeping an eye on how he develops during the next 12 months. Ojamäki is taller, plays a more straight forward game and has some ability to play the body, but I don’t think he’s quite as creative or skilled as Nuto. It was close and I could’ve had Ojamäki or someone else there instead of Nuto, but opted to go with the later one at this point. I had close to 40 players on my list when I started, but this felt like the best top-25 for me at the moment.

I’d be very interested of reading more about your views and also seeing your watch list for 2013. I’ve seen all the players on my list, but it’s not like I know their game through and through, so additional thoughts and info would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
How did Tanus fall so much?
Tanus is short and hasn’t shown much signs of getting taller lately, that’s the biggest reason for me. I really like his awareness, instincts, creativity and craftiness, but will that be enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket87 View Post
Well since there are at least 3 guys on the same team that are more promising/better than him eligible for the same draft...

And I wasn't trying to insult, but simply state that he really is in the wrong company there.
Tolvanen, Nuto, Ojamäki and Teemu Vuorisalo are the only Ässät prospects for this draft that I’ve paid more than casual attention to so far. Vuorisalo showed some offensive upside, but defensively he has a lot of work to do, plus his lateral/backwards movement is feeble and physically he’s weak just like Nuto.

Nuto, Ojamäki and Vuorisalo have some potential, but it’ll probably take time before we see possible results from these guys. Their game is uneven, which is probably a result of not so comprehensive coaching a few years back. On the other hand this could mean that they have more potential for big improvement in the coming years. I did see Ässät Jr.B team play once or twice, but can’t say that Jarno Kärki or the others stood out that much for me. Perhaps I have to pay more attention to them next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorhockeyfollower View Post
Great lists, Tormentor! There is not much that I would disagree about, however, I would have Lintuniemi higher for the 2014 draft. I was very impressed by him in the playoffs. I´m not sure whether I would have Kuhakoski in the top-10. He´s got great size, that´s for sure, and he plays a physical game, but he needs some improvement in the mental part of the game. He took some unnecessary penalties in the games that I saw. His puck skills are decent and he is a versatile player.

BTW, what do you think about Niko Kivelä, who played in the same team as Kuhakoski over the season? He didn´t get a ton of ice-time when I saw him, but he might have some intriguing potential as he had pretty good point totals nonetheless. He is fast and he has some puck skills. He looked also bigger than he´s listed at (6´1").
From what I’ve seen so far, the 2014 draft looks below average for Finland. It was quite hard to make a top-10, there simply weren’t that many players who clearly stood out from the competition during my limited viewings. Therefore Kuhakoski was a fairly easy addition to the list, his size and style of play is quite rare in Finnish prospects. Kuhakoski wouldn’t be in my top-20 for 2013 at the moment, but in a weaker draft like 2014 he’s a decent addition to the list IMO. Naturally, I might drop him out of the top-10 next season, if some of the 96-born players start showing more promise.

I haven’t paid much attention to Niko Kivelä so far, have to take a closer look next season.

Tormentor is offline  
Old
05-12-2012, 04:52 AM
  #757
TheRocket87
Registered User
 
TheRocket87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Nuto is a small, lightweight player, and for the most part his all-around game isn’t that great at the moment, but I think he has some smarts and a skill aspect to his game. He did quite well in Jr.A considering his age and slightly limited tool box. He needs to grow, get stronger and work hard on his game, but I think that it’s at least worth keeping an eye on how he develops during the next 12 months. Ojamäki is taller, plays a more straight forward game and has some ability to play the body, but I don’t think he’s quite as creative or skilled as Nuto. It was close and I could’ve had Ojamäki or someone else there instead of Nuto, but opted to go with the later one at this point. I had close to 40 players on my list when I started, but this felt like the best top-25 for me at the moment.

I’d be very interested of reading more about your views and also seeing your watch list for 2013. I’ve seen all the players on my list, but it’s not like I know their game through and through, so additional thoughts and info would be appreciated.



Tolvanen, Nuto, Ojamäki and Teemu Vuorisalo are the only Ässät prospects for this draft that I’ve paid more than casual attention to so far. Vuorisalo showed some offensive upside, but defensively he has a lot of work to do, plus his lateral/backwards movement is feeble and physically he’s weak just like Nuto.

Nuto, Ojamäki and Vuorisalo have some potential, but it’ll probably take time before we see possible results from these guys. Their game is uneven, which is probably a result of not so comprehensive coaching a few years back. On the other hand this could mean that they have more potential for big improvement in the coming years. I did see Ässät Jr.B team play once or twice, but can’t say that Jarno Kärki or the others stood out that much for me. Perhaps I have to pay more attention to them next season.

Well, I really don't like making lists since my sample size of most players is only a few games. Since I'm from Pori I've been watching the local juniors more than others and feel I can give two cents on them.

First Nuto, He's a small guy that doesn't really possess any attributes that can be developed enough to be interantionally successful. And he got to play with one of the most dominant players in jr A for the whole season (Rendulic), which explains his points totals. For me he really looked out of place there and in the games he played in jr B, he couldn't really hold on to the puck or make plays either. He does have decent hands, but that's about it.

As you said Ojamäki is a speedy more straightforward guy. He has a good shot and uses it often. He really didn't get the playing time or opportunities Nuto did, but shows a lot more promise.

I don't know that much about goalies, but I've heard that Tolvanen isn't that impressive technically, so considering what he did this season if he can develop that aspect he could be good.

On Kärki, it baffles me how he didn't play in jr A this season, considering their center depth was pretty poor. He has great vision and playmaking skills. He also has a good shot and size, but he's movement and explosiveness are lacking.

One other guy i like is Henri Keskilohko (and not because of he's ilmaveivi). Don't really like like Vuorisalo as he can't defend and isn't that impressive going forward either.


Last edited by TheRocket87: 05-12-2012 at 05:14 AM.
TheRocket87 is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 04:31 AM
  #758
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket87 View Post
Well, I really don't like making lists since my sample size of most players is only a few games. Since I'm from Pori I've been watching the local juniors more than others and feel I can give two cents on them.
I doubt there’s a poster on these boards who has seen all the Finnish prospects several times during one season. My lists aren’t based on the most in depth information or expertise, but I think that posting a ranking or a watch list is better than not posting at all. At least there’s a possibility of getting some conversation going, which in turn might lead us to having a slightly better idea of what to watch for in the upcoming drafts. You can clearly evaluate a player and you added value to this thread by sharing your thoughts on Ässät players, I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket87 View Post
First Nuto, He's a small guy that doesn't really possess any attributes that can be developed enough to be interantionally successful. And he got to play with one of the most dominant players in jr A for the whole season (Rendulic), which explains his points totals. For me he really looked out of place there and in the games he played in jr B, he couldn't really hold on to the puck or make plays either. He does have decent hands, but that's about it.
You make a lot of sense and for the most part I agree with what you write here. He’s a small player, none of his attributes greatly jump out at the moment and he played a lot with Rendulic. At the same time, the way Nuto performed on the ice made me think that he might be physically undeveloped in comparison to many of his peers. If this is in fact true and he in addition has some growth left in him, we might see a substantial improvement once he gets closer to a level playing field with others on the ice. He’s definitely a longshot, maybe even a longshot to become a longshot, but nonetheless a player I want to see develop a bit more before counting him out.

Tormentor is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 07:45 AM
  #759
RKC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Great work as always Tormentor. I can't really comment on the 2014 list since I haven't seen enough of anyone from there, but what has happened to Jaakko Hälli?

From what I could make of those slideshow U18 streams, I really liked what I saw from Aleksi Mustonen. I was surprised to see him make the team in the first place, but he played really well for the whole tournament in top lines. Must have been one of the fastest skaters in the whole tournament, was good defensively and has a great attitude to go with some skill and pretty good hockey IQ. Shame he's so small, otherwise I could see him making a career in bottom-6 role in the NHL.

Joose Antonen probably was in the team to play in top-6 role, but after Ikonen and Teräväinen joined he fell to 4th line and was quite useless there. Will be interesting to see how much he will play in SM-liiga next season since Ilves' team looks terrible yet again. Handling SM-liiga opponents physically shouldn't be a problem if he spends some extra time in the weight room during this off-season.

First thing which comes to mind when thinking about Saku Salminen is his awkward skating position and technique. Not sure if any NHL team will be willing to use draft pick on a player whose skating stands out in a bad way in U18 competition. Really needs to work on that in off-season, I don't know if Jokerit do have a proper skating coach in their organization but for Salminen's sake I hope they do.

RKC is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:22 AM
  #760
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Great work as always Tormentor. I can't really comment on the 2014 list since I haven't seen enough of anyone from there, but what has happened to Jaakko Hälli?

From what I could make of those slideshow U18 streams, I really liked what I saw from Aleksi Mustonen. I was surprised to see him make the team in the first place, but he played really well for the whole tournament in top lines. Must have been one of the fastest skaters in the whole tournament, was good defensively and has a great attitude to go with some skill and pretty good hockey IQ. Shame he's so small, otherwise I could see him making a career in bottom-6 role in the NHL.

Joose Antonen probably was in the team to play in top-6 role, but after Ikonen and Teräväinen joined he fell to 4th line and was quite useless there. Will be interesting to see how much he will play in SM-liiga next season since Ilves' team looks terrible yet again. Handling SM-liiga opponents physically shouldn't be a problem if he spends some extra time in the weight room during this off-season.

First thing which comes to mind when thinking about Saku Salminen is his awkward skating position and technique. Not sure if any NHL team will be willing to use draft pick on a player whose skating stands out in a bad way in U18 competition. Really needs to work on that in off-season, I don't know if Jokerit do have a proper skating coach in their organization but for Salminen's sake I hope they do.
Hälli seems like a reliable and hard working defenseman with some smarts. His puck skills are average and he’s not the most dynamic player when it comes to movement and skating. I considered having him in the top-10, but decided to go with different players this time around. I think that many of the guys in the top-10 showed more development in their game during the last year than Hälli.

I agree about Mustonen, a smaller forward that has good speed and energy, offensive upside doesn’t seem as high as with Ikonen or Tanus.

Antonen might need a really good summer if he desires to make some sort of an impact in SM-liiga during the upcoming season, let’s see how it goes. At the moment he looks like a player who’s much better suited for top-6 role than anything else, definitely not a grinder. He needs more speed and could show more of a physical presence on the ice. Getting slightly more involved with the game and learning to make the right decision a bit more often would be beneficial as well. He has a good frame, pretty good hands and a shot, good hand-eye-coordination, and some playmaking ability.

Yep, skating is by far the biggest obstacle for Salminen when thinking about his future as a hockey player. Not sure if it’s realistic to expect him to improve his skating to a level where it’s no longer a hindrance, but if he does, he might have a chance of developing into a 3rd/4th line centre forward. Great frame, strong on the face-off circle, wins puck battles and has enough smarts to play sensible two-way hockey.

Tormentor is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
  #761
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
For what it's worth, THN Draft Preview top-100 has 5 Finns in it:

12 - Teuvo Teräväinen
20 - Olli Määttä
28 - Ville Pokka
69 - Mikko Vainonen
78 - Esa Lindell

Tormentor is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:02 AM
  #762
Keeptdos
Registered User
 
Keeptdos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
For what it's worth, THN Draft Preview top-100 has 5 Finns in it:

12 - Teuvo Teräväinen
20 - Olli Määttä
28 - Ville Pokka
69 - Mikko Vainonen
78 - Esa Lindell
3 Finns in the 1st round? What is the record so far?

Keeptdos is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 08:59 AM
  #763
RKC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunacrew View Post
3 Finns in the 1st round? What is the record so far?
5 in 2002. Lehtonen, Pitkänen, Niinimäki, Bergenheim and Toivonen.

I doubt we see Pokka taken in the 1st round though.

RKC is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 09:16 PM
  #764
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
For what it's worth, THN Draft Preview top-100 has 5 Finns in it:

12 - Teuvo Teräväinen
20 - Olli Määttä
28 - Ville Pokka
69 - Mikko Vainonen
78 - Esa Lindell
When does this come out?

EDIT: It's out. Thanks for reminding me!

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline  
Old
05-20-2012, 05:47 PM
  #765
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Olli Määttä speaking some English at The Pipeline Show; LINK to the media archive. Direct link which can be opened for example with VLC-player, Winamp or your browser.

Tormentor is offline  
Old
05-30-2012, 09:36 AM
  #766
Eyelanders
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
I decided to do little scouting reports on some of the 2013 eligible prospects that I saw playing during the 2011-12 season. I saw some other players as well, but I don´t want to comment on them yet, since I have seen these players more.

Aleksander Barkov, Center, Tappara (6´2/205)

A center with excellent hockey sense, Barkov is the top Finnish Prospect for the 2013 NHL Draft. He is very patient with the puck and is a top notch offensive player. He is also good defensively for his age. He will need to develop his skating, which is not greatest, but his superb offensive ability, along with his size, should make him a high pick.

Rasmus Ristolainen, Defenseman, TPS (6´3/203)

Ristolainen, a very good skater who moves the puck quickly, is another very promising Finnish prospect. His passing is excellent and he can also create a lot at offense. He can be physical too in the defensive zone. He could work on his consistency going into next season.

Mikke Levo, Defenseman, Ilves (5´11/157)

Levo is a smooth skating defenseman who has a lot of smarts. He is not a physical defenseman, but his positioining in the defensive zone is pretty solid. His puck moving ability has to be one of his best attributes. He needs to get bigger and stronger in order to be better in the physical side of the game.

Ville Husso, Goaltender, HIFK (6´2/183)

Husso is very likely the best 1995 born goaltender in Finland along with Kevin Lankinen. Husso is big and moves very well. He communicates well and has the ability to make the big save. He was the best goalie in the Junior A playoffs this year.

Aleksi Ainali, Center, HIFK (5´10/187)

Ainali is a strong forward who likes to have the puck on his stick. He is a two-way center who has a good shot. He is not the fastest forward, yet he gets the job done well at both ends of the ice. Next year he should play in the Junior A a lot and could be a pretty productive player.

Kasperi Ojantakanen, Forward, Jokerit (5´10/154)

Ojantakanen is a fast skater who has the ability to shoot from difficult spots and can still score goals. His passing game is on a good level, which makes him an even dangerous player in the offensive zone.

Santeri Saari, Defenseman, Jokerit (6´3/198)

Saari is a big defenseman who is not an easy defenseman to play against; he hits very hard and has good positioining. His overall skill level is pretty good and he gives a good first pass out of the defensive zone. He plays a pretty simple game, but he has showed some offensive upside as well.

Aleksi Mustonen, Center, Jokerit (5´8/148)

Here is a quick skater and skillfull offensive player in Mustonen. He has good vision and has been able to help his team to score on the powerplay. He has some two-way potential, but whether he will be drafted depends much if he can improve his already good point production and become stronger.

Eyelanders is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 02:51 PM
  #767
ChadS
Registered User
 
ChadS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Looks like Petrus Palmu (-97) has chosen to move from Jokipojat to Jokerit B-juniors. He's the only -97 in their summer training group.

Anyone have a short scouting report on him? I know he's super small (163/61) and was the 3rd best scorer + awarded the "most skilled player" award at the -97s Pohjola Camp this spring.

ChadS is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 03:47 AM
  #768
Eyelanders
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Looks like Petrus Palmu (-97) has chosen to move from Jokipojat to Jokerit B-juniors. He's the only -97 in their summer training group.

Anyone have a short scouting report on him? I know he's super small (163/61) and was the 3rd best scorer + awarded the "most skilled player" award at the -97s Pohjola Camp this spring.
Palmu is small, but very creative with the puck. He can make defensemen look silly in 1-on-1 situations. He can adapt to different game situations without problems. Sees the ice very well, which allows him to create scoring chances for his teammates. I have seen him playing on the PK, so the coaches seem to trust in his defensive abilities. He is always in movement and his balance is good. Palmu is simply fun to watch.

Eyelanders is offline  
Old
06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
  #769
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500

Tormentor is offline  
Old
06-10-2012, 04:34 AM
  #770
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
That looked very impressive. Kid is pretty fast and skilled! Do you have any idea of how he matches up against some other talented kids his age?

YARR123 is offline  
Old
06-10-2012, 10:09 AM
  #771
ChadS
Registered User
 
ChadS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Nice video, are they all the same age? Kid looks a bit Ovechkin-ish

Oh yeah, Finland wearing pink jerseys...

ChadS is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 02:31 PM
  #772
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
That looked very impressive. Kid is pretty fast and skilled! Do you have any idea of how he matches up against some other talented kids his age?
Puljujärvi was the top performer among 98-born Finns this season, he had clearly the most success in Jr.C and was also the top scorer for Finland Selects 98’ team. Another prospect who’s definitely worth keeping an eye on is TPS forward Markus Nurmi, he was named as the most promising forward from this age group at the Pohjola camp. It’s really early, but it seems that these two are the top dogs and after that there’s a clear gap to the rest of the guys as far as pure talent and potential goes. Puljujärvi is a winger with a desire to create chances and score. Nurmi is more of a versatile all-around forward, he’s involved in all situations and able to play all forward positions. Both are tall, athletically talented and play with their right hand down. Will be interesting to see how they develop, Finland doesn’t have that many big successful forwards. 98-born age group doesn’t seem to have much to offer in the defensive department, 97’s probably have a bit more promise there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Nice video, are they all the same age? Kid looks a bit Ovechkin-ish

Oh yeah, Finland wearing pink jerseys...
All players on the Finnish Selects team were 98's, not sure if few of the opponent's players were younger.

Tormentor is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 12:56 PM
  #773
RKC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Puljujärvi was the top performer among 98-born Finns this season, he had clearly the most success in Jr.C and was also the top scorer for Finland Selects 98’ team. Another prospect who’s definitely worth keeping an eye on is TPS forward Markus Nurmi, he was named as the most promising forward from this age group at the Pohjola camp. It’s really early, but it seems that these two are the top dogs and after that there’s a clear gap to the rest of the guys as far as pure talent and potential goes. Puljujärvi is a winger with a desire to create chances and score. Nurmi is more of a versatile all-around forward, he’s involved in all situations and able to play all forward positions. Both are tall, athletically talented and play with their right hand down. Will be interesting to see how they develop, Finland doesn’t have that many big successful forwards. 98-born age group doesn’t seem to have much to offer in the defensive department, 97’s probably have a bit more promise there.

All players on the Finnish Selects team were 98's, not sure if few of the opponent's players were younger.
How do you think likes of Emil Oksanen, Aapeli Räsänen, Otto Mäkinen and Eetu Tuulola compare to some of these better -97 forwards like Aho and Nättinen? Quite few of these -98 born forwards have already played in C-SM with decent numbers too, how good is this next group after Nurmi and Puljujärvi?

RKC is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 05:38 PM
  #774
Tormentor
Registered User
 
Tormentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Too Far
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
How do you think likes of Emil Oksanen, Aapeli Räsänen, Otto Mäkinen and Eetu Tuulola compare to some of these better -97 forwards like Aho and Nättinen? Quite few of these -98 born forwards have already played in C-SM with decent numbers too, how good is this next group after Nurmi and Puljujärvi?
Oksanen is a lot smaller than Räsänen, Mäkinen and Tuulola, looks diminutive in comparison to them, I like his creativity and skill level. Räsänen is a big and strong player for his age, but so far I’m not seeing the same skill level as with Nurmi and Puljujärvi for example, seems like a team player though. Mäkinen is one of my early favourites, good sized forward, pretty good skater and has some puck skills as well. Tuulola is another good sized forward, could be described as a power forward, aggressive guy and has a hard shot. Skating is a bit rugged and his team work ability could be a better in some offensive situations. At this point it’s hard to compare these guys to the 97’s, different kind of players at different stages of development.

There are several good sized forwards with some talent in this 98 age group, in part that explains why so many have already played some games in C1. Hard to say how strong this group will end up being in the end, many of the players still have weaknesses that might prevent them from succeeding on a higher level if not taken care of.

As mentioned earlier, 98-born defensemen might not be the strongest group out there. Olli Juolevi from Jokerit is a D that I like fairly much. Good size for his age and does a pretty good job defensively. Markus Niemeläinen from HPK might be another D worth keeping an eye on. He’s a tall, lean guy who performs unevenly, but might develop into a decent D once he gets stronger and learns the game. Tarmo Reunanen was selected as the most promising D from this age group at Pohjola camp. Decent size, above average skating, some puck skills, nothing spectacular defensively. Will be moving from TuTo to TPS for the upcoming season.

Tormentor is offline  
Old
06-17-2012, 06:11 AM
  #775
RKC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Oksanen is a lot smaller than Räsänen, Mäkinen and Tuulola, looks diminutive in comparison to them, I like his creativity and skill level. Räsänen is a big and strong player for his age, but so far I’m not seeing the same skill level as with Nurmi and Puljujärvi for example, seems like a team player though. Mäkinen is one of my early favourites, good sized forward, pretty good skater and has some puck skills as well. Tuulola is another good sized forward, could be described as a power forward, aggressive guy and has a hard shot. Skating is a bit rugged and his team work ability could be a better in some offensive situations. At this point it’s hard to compare these guys to the 97’s, different kind of players at different stages of development.

There are several good sized forwards with some talent in this 98 age group, in part that explains why so many have already played some games in C1. Hard to say how strong this group will end up being in the end, many of the players still have weaknesses that might prevent them from succeeding on a higher level if not taken care of.

As mentioned earlier, 98-born defensemen might not be the strongest group out there. Olli Juolevi from Jokerit is a D that I like fairly much. Good size for his age and does a pretty good job defensively. Markus Niemeläinen from HPK might be another D worth keeping an eye on. He’s a tall, lean guy who performs unevenly, but might develop into a decent D once he gets stronger and learns the game. Tarmo Reunanen was selected as the most promising D from this age group at Pohjola camp. Decent size, above average skating, some puck skills, nothing spectacular defensively. Will be moving from TuTo to TPS for the upcoming season.
Thanks. Great to have someone on these boards who has seen these guys play and can give us some info on them.

One more question, what do you think about these Jokerit -98 born forwards who were selected to the Selects teams last season, Jarkko Aalto, Mikael Hakkarainen and Otto Somppi?

RKC is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.