HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking forward to the Draft

Old
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
FlyerGuy18

vCash: 500
Looking forward to the Draft

What number are they going to draft in June? 23rd or close?

I would like to see them pick a D-man. Any idea who would be available at their spot?

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Sneekypete

Olli Maatta will most likely be available and a pretty good comparision is Kimmo Timonen style of play

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

There has been quite a bit of great discussion about this in the prospects thread

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:36 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I would say the Flyers need to draft a decent goalie, even though they signed Cal Heeter from Ohio State.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Olli Maatta will most likely be available and a pretty good comparision is Kimmo Timonen style of play
Would love to get Maatta if he indeed fell to us. Really hoping that Homer can somehow get Cody Ceci without getting ripped off too badly. Definitely the guy I want out of this draft, a Dan Boyle/Scott Niedermayer type defensemen, a fast staker who might finally put an end to the search for that elusive right hand shot our blueline hasn't really had since Desjardins retired (Baumgartner, Eminger and Kubina all failed in my opinion).

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Codith

Id try and move JVR+ for a top 10 pick and maybe an early 2nd

Draft one of the following (if) top10 pick can be had

-Ryan Murray
-Mathew Dumba
-Cody Ceci
-Griffin Reinhart

With second pick in the first round (22-25 range) (if Available)

-Matt Finn
-Olli Maatta
-Malcolm Subban

2nd rounder if acquired, look at

-Daniil Zharkov
-Jordan Schmaltz

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post
What number are they going to draft in June? 23rd or close?

I would like to see them pick a D-man. Any idea who would be available at their spot?
Flyers have the 22nd pick in round 1, that would be possibly lead to Olli Maatta or Slater Koekkoek.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Flyers have the 22nd pick in round 1, that would be possibly lead to Olli Maatta or Slater Koekkoek.
Lindholm and Bystrom will possibly be there, as well as Finn, Pokka and Skjei.

I did a write up on a few in the prospects thread.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:29 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Ludvig Bystrom is the guy that I hope the Flyers land. I know Matt Finn was a popular guy to, but he's expected to go in the first 15 picks. Bystrom is just a silky smooth guy with some edge factor to his game. If Bystrom isn't available, then maybe someone like Slater Koekkoek or Jordan Schmaltz would be a good pick. As for Olli Maatta, he'll more than likely be a Washington Capital because of his time with Dale Hunter. My only hope is that the Flyers don't reach for a player and that they draft the best player available. Drafting for need ends up with guys like Jeff Woywitka or Maxime Ouellet.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Haute Couturier

We have pick 20 if the Rangers win and pick 19 if the Caps win.

This mock has us taking Maatta @ 20

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/5/10/2012-nhl-mock-draft

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Really hope they trade up and draft Jacob Trouba. Kid looks like the complete package.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:54 PM
RoDu

defense defense defense

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Wish we had high 2nd rounders to pick up some of the rest of the good D men left.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:39 PM
YuioIklo

We never know with Holmgren, this pick could be gone or we could get another 1st rounder, wouldn't be surprised.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Id try and move JVR+ for a top 10 pick and maybe an early 2nd

Draft one of the following (if) top10 pick can be had

-Ryan Murray
-Mathew Dumba
-Cody Ceci
-Griffin Reinhart

With second pick in the first round (22-25 range) (if Available)

-Matt Finn
-Olli Maatta
-Malcolm Subban

2nd rounder if acquired, look at

-Daniil Zharkov
-Jordan Schmaltz
Send JVR to Toronto for Luke Schenn and their #1 pick (5). It may be time to cut bait on him and run. I suck at trades but at least he has a built in excuse why he sucked all year. Next year it may be to late.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:06 AM
bp spec

I would love if we picked Matt Finn.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Prongo
Beer

If the Flyers move up into the top 10 for this draft, I would take the best available player. If they move up within the 6-10 spots most likely Tuevo Teräväinen will be available then. He probably will be the best player out of all those picks. I know we need help on defense, but the Flyers take BPA at the draft and are excellent at developing forwards. Teräväinen would be awesome here along side of Giroux or Schenn, or Couts! Our center depth is awesome lol. We can maybe make a trade for an already established young dman with all of our young talented forwards.

Also people saying Konopka, he was just awful this year. He was a healthy scratch for a good amount of game. He only played in 55 this year, so I don't know if he was a healthy scratch for the rest of the 27 games but it wouldn't surprise me. Look for the likes of Jim Slater, Greg Campbell, Gaustad(pricey), Pahlsson(pricey) or even a chris Kelly(will be overpaid on the open market though). Konopka will just be like the Shelley signing. Konopka can play but he can't outplay the young guys we have on our roster already.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Send JVR to Toronto for Luke Schenn and their #1 pick (5). It may be time to cut bait on him and run. I suck at trades but at least he has a built in excuse why he sucked all year. Next year it may be to late.
I like JVR... but would not mind that trade too much. Still may not say yes though!

At worst Schenn is a 5/6, and a young, big one who already proved he can play NHL hockey, and that 5 pick could get us a future No. 1.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Reaper1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I would do this in a heartbeat.

Schenn is not a top-defensmen but as a lower pair I think he can excel. He blocks a ton of shots which will help bryz and I think a change of scenery would help him out a lot.

who knows, maybe the player they draft at #5 will be NHL ready like couturier was last season. But I also believe that they should take the best player available regardless of position. They need defense but if its a forward then so be it.

Their later pick in round #1 they can draft for need once the player talent level has evened out a little and then focus on defense.

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:52 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I would do this in a heartbeat.

Schenn is not a top-defensmen but as a lower pair I think he can excel. He blocks a ton of shots which will help bryz and I think a change of scenery would help him out a lot.

who knows, maybe the player they draft at #5 will be NHL ready like couturier was last season. But I also believe that they should take the best player available regardless of position. They need defense but if its a forward then so be it.

Their later pick in round #1 they can draft for need once the player talent level has evened out a little and then focus on defense.
Have you ever seen Schenn play? Brian Burke would pee his pants to get JVR and only have to give up Schenn. He's big. That's about the best I can say about Schenn. He has zero hockey sense, he's rarely physical, and he makes some very, very bad decisions with the puck.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Have you ever seen Schenn play? Brian Burke would pee his pants to get JVR and only have to give up Schenn. He's big. That's about the best I can say about Schenn. He has zero hockey sense, he's rarely physical, and he makes some very, very bad decisions with the puck.
We are talking about Schenn here right, because he was 7th in the league in hits this year, and number 1 among dman with 270. Last year he was 8th overall with 252, which was good for 1st among dman too. I agree though with everything else you said about Schenn. Only thing I can argue is he is still young and has the potential to become a great shut down dman still. Just like JVR's ceiling more then Schenn's

Old
05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Psuhockey

If the Flyers are willing to move JVR for a defenseman and a high pick, I would look to Carolina for Jamie McBain. He has a great shot from the point and is right handed. Had a bit of a sophomore slump this year, but is only 24. If you could get Carolina's 1st that would be a steal, but a high 2nd would be great in this draft.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:27 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Blame the leafs for ****ing up his development..They really have no idea how to develop players.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
We are talking about Schenn here right, because he was 7th in the league in hits this year, and number 1 among dman with 270. Last year he was 8th overall with 252, which was good for 1st among dman too. I agree though with everything else you said about Schenn. Only thing I can argue is he is still young and has the potential to become a great shut down dman still. Just like JVR's ceiling more then Schenn's
He was also scratched for multiple games, gave up Carle like turnovers and had awful postional play. Not to mention he is of Derian hatcher speed.

But yeah follow how many hits he made.......Dennis Gaulthier (SP) was also a great hitter.....

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He was also scratched for multiple games, gave up Carle like turnovers and had awful postional play. Not to mention he is of Derian hatcher speed.

But yeah follow how many hits he made.......Dennis Gaulthier (SP) was also a great hitter.....
I believe I said I agreed with everything else she said in her post. I was just saying he is a physical dman. He does lack hockey IQ and sense. He also made plenty of mistakes during the year which turned out to be pretty costly. I was just saying the kid knows how to throw the body, but he isn't playing good. I would never trade JVR straight up for Schenn. I also said in my previous post that JVR has a higher ceiling then Schenn, but Schenn has plenty of years to hit his prime as a dman for him to improve.