HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Saint John Sea Dogs win the President's Cup

Old
05-10-2012, 09:20 PM
TerminatorBlue

vCash: 500
Saint John Sea Dogs win the President's Cup

Saint John just destroyed Rimouski 8-0 to win the President's Cup, Saint John only lost one game in the entire playoffs.. can't wait for the Memorial cup.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
Saint John just destroyed Rimouski 8-0 to win the President's Cup, Saint John only lost one game in the entire playoffs.. can't wait for the Memorial cup.
They lost a game?! Losers...

Sincerely,

The 1985-86 Hull Olympiques

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:04 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
Won't get much love around here - a back-to-back Q league champ from the Maritimes is definitely not going to get the props it deserves.

This team has been a thrill to watch over the last three years, and the organization deserves a ton of credit.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:58 AM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Won't get much love around here - a back-to-back Q league champ from the Maritimes is definitely not going to get the props it deserves.

This team has been a thrill to watch over the last three years, and the organization deserves a ton of credit.
around here?

I'd say the posters on the Q threads here are around 50% from Québec and 50% from the maritimes. At least, that's what it looks like.

Congrats to the $aint John Sea dogs for a great season and playoffs. I don't think anyone expected them to lose many games in the post-season. Victoriaville's and Shawinigan's early exits paved the way to a very easy road to the cup. After they disposed of Chicoutimi, i don't know many people who predicted that Saint John would lose more than 1 game in the final.

Very solid team, will represent the league well in the mem cup.

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:51 AM
CH4

Quote:

I went out to read some of the QMJHL East boards yesterday and let me say that it's ridiculous how maritimers are paranoid by a supposed hate/conspiration of Quebec/the league vs maritimes.

It is absurd.

they even say the sags should be ashamed because we sent the video of the huberdeau's hit on Hudon
The guy had a concussion and since we are out of the playoffs we should have let him run with it.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:56 AM
CH4

that said, Congrats to the Sea Dogs and good luck. I'll cheer for the cats though as I really disliked the attitude of SJ's player here in Chicoutimi, especially Beaulieu and Huberdeau, who were extremely disrespectful and arrogant.

I hope the league do something so that a situation where a team buys a player mid season without costing any assets don't ever happens again. It is completely unfair for the small market that you buy a player of the calibre of Coyle only for money when we have to give two 1st pick to get a lesser calibre player in Pageau. Without Coyle the playoff run would not have been a walk in the park as easy as it was.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:19 AM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
that said, Congrats to the Sea Dogs and good luck. I'll cheer for the cats though as I really disliked the attitude of SJ's player here in Chicoutimi, especially Beaulieu and Huberdeau, who were extremely disrespectful and arrogant. .
Beaulieu did the same thing last year in the final vs the Piques.

Quote:
I hope the league do something so that a situation where a team buys a player mid season without costing any assets don't ever happens again. It is completely unfair for the small market that you buy a player of the calibre of Coyle only for money when we have to give two 1st pick to get a lesser calibre player in Pageau. Without Coyle the playoff run would not have been a walk in the park as easy as it was.
It was really too bad for Chicoutimi, because they had a solid team. Pageau got hurt (ankle) just before the playoffs, and just wasn't able to have the impact he could have had if he was healthy. Add to that the domination by Coyle in the playoffs, and you have a series that's not as long as it could have been. Not saying the Sags would have won, but just that the series might have been longer.

The Coyle situation and the Mackinnon situation last summer are not good for a league. If the goal is for the league to send powerhouses to the Mem cup, then it's clear it's achieved, but if the goal is to allow all teams to be competitive at one time or another, then it's a major failure. I can't see why teams like Rouyn, Val d'Or or Baie Comeau would be kept in a league where bigger markets can just buy players and build strong teams every year. Junior hockey usually sees teams go through cycles (it's how it's always been), but now you'll see more and more big market teams just not having to rebuild by going to the bottom and buying their way to a competitive team right away.

If that's the direction the league is going, then let's just spare fans in Rouyn, Val d'Or, Baie Comeau or other smaller markets and take their teams away.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:00 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcS View Post
Beaulieu did the same thing last year in the final vs the Piques.

It was really too bad for Chicoutimi, because they had a solid team. Pageau got hurt (ankle) just before the playoffs, and just wasn't able to have the impact he could have had if he was healthy. Add to that the domination by Coyle in the playoffs, and you have a series that's not as long as it could have been. Not saying the Sags would have won, but just that the series might have been longer.

The Coyle situation and the Mackinnon situation last summer are not good for a league. If the goal is for the league to send powerhouses to the Mem cup, then it's clear it's achieved, but if the goal is to allow all teams to be competitive at one time or another, then it's a major failure. I can't see why teams like Rouyn, Val d'Or or Baie Comeau would be kept in a league where bigger markets can just buy players and build strong teams every year. Junior hockey usually sees teams go through cycles (it's how it's always been), but now you'll see more and more big market teams just not having to rebuild by going to the bottom and buying their way to a competitive team right away.

If that's the direction the league is going, then let's just spare fans in Rouyn, Val d'Or, Baie Comeau or other smaller markets and take their teams away.
Couldn't agree more!

But some Maritimes fans complain that I have been beating that drum for years and that LGM is the only one complaining.

Saint-John is a blatant example of what you just wrote above and also the Remparts on the Quebec side.

I hope that we can see a better balanced Q in the years coming, but what I see now suggests exactly the opposite for the future.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:05 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

The Q won't do anything about it...

It happens in the O and out west, it's life.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Cats2TheCup

You think they'll be able to continue winning cups when Huberdeau is in a panther uniform next year?

Cats2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Couldn't agree more!

But some Maritimes fans complain that I have been beating that drum for years and that LGM is the only one complaining.

Saint-John is a blatant example of what you just wrote above and also the Remparts on the Quebec side.

I hope that we can see a better balanced Q in the years coming, but what I see now suggests exactly the opposite for the future.
You can't really blame the teams though.. because they are playing within the rules. I don't blame Saint-John at all.. they have a great team and their fans are lucky.

But it just sucks for smaller markets, and that's why the only ones who can do anything about it are the ones responsible for the league. Will they do sometihng about it? i doubt it. Getting another mem cup would just further make them believe that ''things are going just fine''.

I'm a fan of the Gatineau Piques. Our team has the most league championships of all teams in the Q. We are constantly competitive. This year was a bit of an exception, but we figure we'll be strong next season and the one after. Last year we even surprised and gave a good fight to Saint John. For years, our team was finding players out of nowhere (in Ontario most of the time) and other teams were getting frustrated. The situation was different, but other teams adapted and now are scouting Ontario players a bit more. Adaptation was possible.

It unfortunately is not possible in the situation where teams buy players though.

Again, not blaming the teams.. just the league for allowing it because it really sucks for small markets. This season i went to a few games in Rouyn, Val d'Or and even made it to Chicoutimi and Baie Comeau to see the Piques play.. and it's part of what i love so much in this league.. small markets supporting great hockey. I wouldn't want to lose it, but it's not fair to those markets to not allow them the chance to have good teams that can equally compete with the rest of the league.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
The Q won't do anything about it...

It happens in the O and out west, it's life.
then fold Baie-Comeau, Rouyn, Val d'or, PEI, Gatineau, Drummondville, Victoriaville, Chicoutimi, Rimouski, Shawinigan, Bathurst and Cape Breton if the rich teams can simply buy all the players they want free and the draft doesn't mean anything anymore because of all the enfants-roi choose their team (as in who trows out the more money at them).

the league is sick. If they don't do anything things will get worst.

If the league is fine with the Q winning two memorial cups they must be much worried about this:

Moyennes d'assistances par match :

11 554 Québec
6527 Halifax
4561 Saint John
4145 Moncton
3514 Rimouski
3480 Shawinigan
2997 Blainville-Boisbriand
2821 Chicoutimi
2657 Gatineau
2620 Victoriaville
2593 Cape Breton
2412 Drummondville
2148 Baie-Comeau
1819 Rouyn-Noranda
1670 Val d'Or
1581 PEI
1377 Bathurst

Moyenne LHJMQ : 3430

Moyenne WHL : 4639

Moyenne OHL : 3885

bring back the Nordiques which should diminishes Quebec's assistances by at least half and the league is in trouble.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
RJQuack

I guess Portland is of those greasy, illegitimate teams since they got Jones

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:08 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
then fold Baie-Comeau, Rouyn, Val d'or, PEI, Gatineau, Drummondville, Victoriaville, Chicoutimi, Rimouski, Shawinigan, Bathurst and Cape Breton if the rich teams can simply buy all the players they want free and the draft doesn't mean anything anymore because of all the enfants-roi choose their team (as in who trows out the more money at them).

the league is sick. If they don't do anything things will get worst.

If the league is fine with the Q winning two memorial cups they must be much worried about this:

Moyennes d'assistances par match :

11 554 Québec
6527 Halifax
4561 Saint John
4145 Moncton
3514 Rimouski
3480 Shawinigan
2997 Blainville-Boisbriand
2821 Chicoutimi
2657 Gatineau
2620 Victoriaville
2593 Cape Breton
2412 Drummondville
2148 Baie-Comeau
1819 Rouyn-Noranda
1670 Val d'Or
1581 PEI
1377 Bathurst

Moyenne LHJMQ : 3430

Moyenne WHL : 4639

Moyenne OHL : 3885

bring back the Nordiques which should diminishes Quebec's assistances by at least half and the league is in trouble.

Our league is in trouble, but what can we do ?

We have the most small market teams...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:31 PM
JohnnyB11

Sadly, pretty much the response I expected...

So I'll bite. I'd like one of you who accuse SJ of buying a team to explain how the current team was 'bought'.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:54 PM
RJQuack

Quote:

So I'll bite. I'd like one of you who accuse SJ of buying a team to explain how the current team was 'bought'.
Coyle = team tarnished

Just don't listen to them. All they do is complain about teams buying players (big markets) and just expect them to stop... What is Halifax and Quebec supposed to do again? Become small markets so Bathurst and BC can "catch up"?

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Yeah Dawgs!! I was actually hoping they would loose a couple so I could watch more hockey.. Oh well

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:48 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:

Just as I thought, no response. Let help by outlining the origin of the Dogs players:

Stanislav Galiev - drafted 2009 Euro draft, using pick acquired from Halifax via trade of Pascal Amyot.
Tomas Jurco - drafted 2009 Euro draft, using pick acquired from Val D'Or via trade of Francois Gauthier.
Dannick Gauthier - acquired from Shawinigan via trade of Alex Grant.
Jonathan Huberdeau - drafted 1st round 2009.
Charlie Coyle - acquired as free agent Christmas 2011.
Zach Phillips - acquired via trade with Lewiston.
Ryan Tesink - drafted 1st round 2010.
Stephen MacAulay - drafted 3rd round 2008.
Maxime Villemaire - acquired via trade with Drummondville Christmas 2011.
Aiden Kelly - drafted 2nd round 2009.
Jason Cameron - drafted 6th round 2010.
Devon Oliver-Dares - drafted 3rd round 2010.
Grant West - acquired off waivers from Moncton 2011.

Nathan Beaulieu - drafted 4th round 2008.
Charles Roussel - acquired via trade with Blainville 2011.
Pierre Durepos - drafted 1st round 2009.
Kevin Gagne - drafted 2nd round 2008.
Jason Seed - acquired via trade with Gatineau Christmas 2010.
Ian Saab - acquired in Lewiston dispersal draft 2011.
Spencer Macdonald - acquired via trade with Montreal 2010.

Mathieu Corbeil - acquired via trade with Halifax Christmas 2010.
Sebastian Auger - drafted 5th round 2010.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Arnold S
From Turtle Creek

Quote:
Just as I thought, no response. Let help by outlining the origin of the Dogs players:

Stanislav Galiev - drafted 2009 Euro draft, using pick acquired from Halifax via trade of Pascal Amyot.
Tomas Jurco - drafted 2009 Euro draft, using pick acquired from Val D'Or via trade of Francois Gauthier.
Dannick Gauthier - acquired from Shawinigan via trade of Alex Grant.
Jonathan Huberdeau - drafted 1st round 2009.
Charlie Coyle - acquired as free agent Christmas 2011.
Zach Phillips - acquired via trade with Lewiston.
Ryan Tesink - drafted 1st round 2010.
Stephen MacAulay - drafted 3rd round 2008.
Maxime Villemaire - acquired via trade with Drummondville Christmas 2011.
Aiden Kelly - drafted 2nd round 2009.
Jason Cameron - drafted 6th round 2010.
Devon Oliver-Dares - drafted 3rd round 2010.
Grant West - acquired off waivers from Moncton 2011.

Nathan Beaulieu - drafted 4th round 2008.
Charles Roussel - acquired via trade with Blainville 2011.
Pierre Durepos - drafted 1st round 2009.
Kevin Gagne - drafted 2nd round 2008.
Jason Seed - acquired via trade with Gatineau Christmas 2010.
Ian Saab - acquired in Lewiston dispersal draft 2011.
Spencer Macdonald - acquired via trade with Montreal 2010.

Mathieu Corbeil - acquired via trade with Halifax Christmas 2010.
Sebastian Auger - drafted 5th round 2010.
Not necessarily agreeing with what is being said but let's be honest here...Huberdeau, Coyle, Phillips and Durepos are four players that definitely wouldn't have just played for any team in the Q.

Arnold S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:31 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Coyle = team tarnished

Just don't listen to them. All they do is complain about teams buying players (big markets) and just expect them to stop... What is Halifax and Quebec supposed to do again? Become small markets so Bathurst and BC can "catch up"?
The fact that you are putting Halifax and Quebec in the same bag is ludicrous.

Bobby Smith, for years, declined to listen to the requests of the generation of king babies and had 3 seasons of misery before having some success last season.

Meanwhile the Sea Dogs and the Remparts hired just about everybody who were future star potential and were crying out loud NCAA-bound complaints with what is implied here....
That you like it or not, some would not report otherwise.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:22 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASlick11 View Post
Not necessarily agreeing with what is being said but let's be honest here...Huberdeau, Coyle, Phillips and Durepos are four players that definitely wouldn't have just played for any team in the Q.
Well, firstly, you've identified four players. Hardly a team, even if they are four highly skilled players. Geez, in the case of Philips, who Lewiston drafted 34th overall in 2008, a year got him and #89 in the 2009 draft for #73, a 2nd in 2010 and a 4th in 2010. that's not buying a player, that's identifying a future star and making what appears to be an overpayment for him to get the chance to develop him.

Second, the response was to a poster earlier talking about a team 'buying all the players they want', referring to SJ. Not about whether a player decides he's only willing to play for a particular team.

Third, why is it SJ's problem if there are players who 'won't play for just any team'?? That type of attitude doesn't just fall on SJ's favor by any means.