HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

LA Kings are heavy favourites to win cup

Old
05-11-2012, 04:29 AM
sticknrink

vCash: 500
Sutter coached team that has had roster changes mid-year making a cindarella run in the playoffs?

Not the first time it's happened.

I still think NYR is going to win it all meeting LA in the finals.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:46 AM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
I think people are trying to put it in perspective. Yes, Kings fans have reason to be excited about their WCF appearance, but when they trash on their previous opponents, they should also understand that quite a bit of luck played into where they are today.
I understand about perspective and don't disagree that some luck was involved.. then again, I don't think any of the teams remaining got to where there are without some luck.

But then you have people like that mod saying VAN lost because of injuries and STL lost because of inexperience.

VAN was without D. Sedin and they seemed to do fine without him in the regular season. STL's inexperience didn't seem to hurt them against SJ (who has more playoff experience than LA).

I'm not trying to argue that LA is or should be considered the favorite. Heck, I question whether they can even get past PHX. But when people say stupid things, it's hard to ignore.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:54 AM
jigsaw99

As unstoppable as they've looked in the first two rounds, they were pretty lucky too. Canucks did not have Daniel Sedin for the first 3 games and Kesler was playing injured too. Also, the Blues did not have Halak and their number 1 dman Pietro was playing with a concussion.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:06 AM
CatOTails

So it looks like NJD are the darkest horse among dark horses.

CatOTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:32 AM
LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOTails View Post
So it looks like NJD are the darkest horse among dark horses.
that means they are a CHOCOLATE PEPSI FOUNTAIN STALLION

LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:37 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Its destiny. Reason being: Burke declares hes not interested in getting the 8th seed and getting whipped, makes note that no 8th seed has ever won the cup. When LA wins there will be weeks of discussion about this in Toronto.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
They're HEAVY favourites because Dustin Penner is on the Kings.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:46 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Everyone needs to remember that the odds change based on how much money is being bet on a team. With Las Vegas being so close to Southern California the current odds shouldn't be too shocking.

The odds for Phoenix are just a little over 3:1. How close is Vegas to Arizona? That's why.
People just don't understand clearly how odds work all the time. It is absolutely due how much money is being bet on a team.

Big markets like LA, NY etc always will have the "odds" skewed in their favor b/c the odds makers know that those are much larger fan bases (not only locally but across the country/world) and fans of those teams usually are going to bet on their own team.

I've said this before in another post..there is a rule in Vegas.."ALWAYS bet against New York" (and that can extend to pretty much any big market team)

LA is playing well and their fans are taking notice. The proximity to Vegas can certainly be a factor since Vegas is a place where alot of the action is gonna funnel through.

Everytime I have been to Vegas I have run into cab drivers and dealers bemoaning the "california weekend crowds" and how many of them flow in (among other things they say about them that aren't so pleasant)

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Let's see if they can solve Mike Smith. But at this moment, they've been the best team in these playoffs no doubt about it

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Llewzaher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Let's see if they can solve Mike Smith. But at this moment, they've been the best team in these playoffs no doubt about it
Which is why they are the favorites and the Yotes are the underdogs . Which is good .. Yotes seem to do better as the underdogs

Llewzaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:21 AM
M A K A V E L I*

2/1 for LA is just dumb. It's essentially giving them a 70% chance to win each of the next 2 rounds.

If you bet $100 on the other 4 teams, you get the following outcomes.

NJ = + $33
PHX = + $50
NY = + $100
WAS = + $350
LA = - $400

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude28Giroux View Post
I don' think so. LA has something the preds don't. Offense.

You do realize that the Kings were the 2nd worst offensive team in the league this season, and the Predators among the best?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
2/1 for LA is just dumb. It's essentially giving them a 70% chance to win each of the next 2 rounds.
Its not dumb and its not predicting anything - re-read BobRouse's post above

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Duh. Everyone who beats the Canucks wins the cup.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:49 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Obvious attempt by Ducks fan to jinx the Kings.
Haha.. I was thinking the same. Though personally I don't believe in jinx.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Lshap

I thought Pittsburgh was the heavy favourite. Sorry - meant to say St-Louis. I mean Philadelphia. Coulda' sworn someone said Nashville.

I have a feeling we'll keep dancing the "Heavy Favourite Back-Step" until Phoenix enters the third period of game seven up 5-1 against Washington.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:10 AM
symbology

This really started as, and continues to be a worthless thread. So much misinformation and confusion.

symbology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I thought Pittsburgh was the heavy favourite. Sorry - meant to say St-Louis. I mean Philadelphia. Coulda' sworn someone said Nashville.

I have a feeling we'll keep dancing the "Heavy Favourite Back-Step" until Phoenix enters the third period of game seven up 5-1 against Washington.
Looks like I was beaten by one post. Pittsburgh was the favorite... didn't work out too well. Then St. Louis and Philadelphia were definitely going to meet in the finals... didn't work out too well.

The Kings have certainly looked the part so far, but the idea of an 8 seed being the favorite doesn't sit well with me yet.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
As unstoppable as they've looked in the first two rounds, they were pretty lucky too. Canucks did not have Daniel Sedin for the first 3 games and Kesler was playing injured too. Also, the Blues did not have Halak and their number 1 dman Pietro was playing with a concussion.
Yes, the Kings have certainly lucked into thier 8-1 playoff record against the top 2 seeds in the west.

That's all any (throws hands in air) of this is, LUCK.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:08 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOTC View Post
but you didn't beat a goalie to score them? I'm pretty sure Mike Smith is going to be in front of the net for this entire series. You make it seem like the Kings score 3 goals a game while the other teams goalie is in net, which clearly isn't the case.

The Kings are not a better offensive team than the Predators or Blackhawks. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say the Predators are the better team. But matchups and momentum essentially make these things irrelevant, which is why the Coyotes have beaten two superior teams so far, and IMO will be the reason why they win this series. The Coyotes are not a good matchup for the Kings.
Kings wiped out the two best teams in the west. They were also one of the best teams since the deadline, especially in offense. There's no reason this series shouldn't be great.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:16 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

While somewhat telling, Vegas odds (and Bovada odds) are set to attract the most customers, not as an indicator of who will win. This is the same site that had Pittsburgh as the overwhelming favorite to win the cup when the playoffs started, remember. And we all know how that turned out.

All that said, my money's on LA to win it all and Caps +1.5 in game 7.

Last edited by proper animal: 05-11-2012 at 10:22 AM.
proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by proper animal View Post
While somewhat telling, Vegas odds (and Bovada odds) are set to attract the most customers, not as an indicator of who will win. This is the same site that had Pittsburgh as the overwhelming favorite to win the cup when the playoffs started, remember. And we all know how that turned out.

All that said, my money's on LA.
Geez... all my money's tied up in my mortgage. That's because I was told to always bet on the house.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Duh. Everyone who beats the Canucks wins the cup.
That's funny. The last two seasons, the team that's beaten Vancouver has won the cup. The last three seasons, the team that's beaten Philadelphia has won the cup.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:30 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Man there is so many excuses. Those teams were top 2. Aren't they supposed to have depth? Hey we might of gotten lucky but it was deserved.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

On some Australian betting sites, Phoenix is $4.50 to win the Cup. Pretty tempting.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote