HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
So how much better would nucks be with an above average coach? back to back cup wins?
I don't know, but definitely we will be scoring more than 8 goals in 7 games against Boston in the final and will not lose to LA (aka a team that barely made the playoffs) in such an embarrassing fashion. I blame AV for not preparing us for those big games.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
He's not really the only one to blame. The Canucks are a great regular season team.

And no I don't want AV.
he is not? Why is that? As a Canucks fan I just have enough of him ruining our chances to win the cup. He never adjust when the tide is turned against him in the playoffs, he played fringe nhl players in the last few minutes despite down a goal or two, he played Aaron Rome over Keith Ballard, played Rome so much that he seems to be on the ice with the Sedins as well, not Edler, not Salo, Not Bieska, not Hamhuis, also he insist Chris Higgins to be playing on the third line despite having him out play Raymond.

There are also reports of him leaving the movitation part to the players to themselves, it really makes you wonder what he really did there?

Anyways, Montreal is my third favourite team, I think you guys deserved to have a better coach than AV.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:11 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I don't know, but definitely we will be scoring more than 8 goals in 7 games against Boston in the final and will not lose to LA (aka a team that barely made the playoffs) in such an embarrassing fashion. I blame AV for not preparing us for those big games.
Perhaps if you had a different coach, even better, he might not have been the right fit to get to the finals in the first place.

Call me crazy but I don't see what AV did wrong. 1 game away from stanley cup and please, in game 7 of the stanley cup playoffs if you don't know the game plan yet...

In terms of this year, LA beat Vancouver and the world went nuts but hey, short summer, missing a sedin for most of the series and not to mention LA is looking pretty damn good right now.

I'm not even a vancouver fan but I think it will take another year to properly access AV performance as coach and even then, he still might not be fired if they win 2 playoff rounds.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
he is not? Why is that? As a Canucks fan I just have enough of him ruining our chances to win the cup. He never adjust when the tide is turned against him in the playoffs, he played fringe nhl players in the last few minutes despite down a goal or two, he played Aaron Rome over Keith Ballard, played Rome so much that he seems to be on the ice with the Sedins as well, not Edler, not Salo, Not Bieska, not Hamhuis, also he insist Chris Higgins to be playing on the third line despite having him out play Raymond.

There are also reports of him leaving the movitation part to the players to themselves, it really makes you wonder what he really did there?

Anyways, Montreal is my third favourite team, I think you guys deserved to have a better coach than AV.
I just think some players share a part of the blame too. The Sedin twins didn't show up against Boston. One of them got molested by the weak ass Marchand. Luongo couldn't have stopped a piano from entering the net if his life depended on it. Etc...

As for Vigneault, I don't know why but he strikes me as someone who is stubborn and keeps doing the same **** without ever adapting even if he fully knows it's not working. Do not want.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:00 AM
baldrick

Carbonneau and Robinson as assistants: yes Lemaire as coach: no way

Old
05-11-2012, 04:06 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
I know a few players didn't like him, I know for a fact that Ryder did not like him
Not a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post
Carbo: me and Kirk can't play every game....

What a telling thing to say? ... Carbo and MacTavish and Teddy Nolan all cut from the same cloth. Every knows these guys know the game. Noone can stand them.
I'd take Carbo and Muller on my team anytime!

Old
05-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post

I'd take Carbo and Muller on my team anytime!
Would take Muller. I think we can do better without Carbo.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:34 AM
habakkuk

I'm beginning to change my mind about Roy.

I'm beginning to change my mind about Roy. When the idea of Roy as Head Coach was first discussed I dismissed it believing that Roy was an inexperienced hotheaded egotist. However after getting past the sterotype I believe Roy would be a good choice as entraineur chef.
1. The sucess of Dale Hunter in Washington. Both men suffered the same image as hotheaded, rash, thin skinned and ultra-competitive. Hunter has dispelled that image. He has displayed a well thought-out game plan and the teaching skills to implement the plan and to get his players to buy in. Can Roy do the same?
2. While not always a playoff sucess Roy has always gotten the best out of his players while they were members of the Rempart. For example under Roy, Esposito, Stefanovich, Radulov et al were stars and achieved greater sucess than on any other team. (There are other examples) I believe Roy has the ability to maximize the talents of his players.
(another reason I would be reluctant to draft Grigorenko with the 3rd pick)
3. Roy has patience beyond his image. He has been back to junior for almost 8 years to learn the craft. He has paid his dues and I believe he may be ready for the next step.
4. Roy certainly has the pedigree and should have the respect of his players. He has walked the walk.
5. As a coach in junior he is basically a teacher. I believe that is still an important function of a head coach in the NHL. I know the players are millionaire accomplished athletes but they still need a teacher/mentor to explain what's expected of them and their exact responsibilities on the team.
In summary Patrick will be a lot more prepared and polished then i used to give him credit for.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Your problem is assuming LA is a bad team.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:51 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Your problem is assuming LA is a bad team.
LA was already very good before they traded a bad D-man for a first-line center. In some ways they were better than Vancouver all year.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:37 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
LA was already very good before they traded a bad D-man for a first-line center. In some ways they were better than Vancouver all year.
Congrats on losing an credibility by calling Carter a 1st line center!

Old
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Seems like LA just swept St Louis, one of the best teams in the league this year.

LA is probably cup favorites at this point.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Zorba

Quote:
Carter a first line centre? Sadly I couldnt find the face palm smiley!

Old
05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
He's a borderline first line center like Plekanec. Although, to be fair, he usually plays wing. More appropriate to call him a borderline 1st line forward.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Yes - same goes for Washington. Both LA and Washington are much stronger on paper than you would think by simply looking at where they finished during the regular season. The fact of the matter is that LA is the better team on paper when comparing them to Vancouver. The fact that Vancouver finished 1st in the conference is actually a testament to Vigneault's ability to get his team to overachieve and play consistent hockey throughout a season. Similarly, Washington is a deeper team than the Rangers - it should be no surprise that the Caps could push the series to 7, despite where they finished during the regular season.

All this to say that Vigneault is a good coach who is unfairly being blamed for losing to a very good team like the Kings who also happen to have the best goalie these days (Quick).

Old
05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He's a borderline first line center like Plekanec. Although, to be fair, he usually plays wing. More appropriate to call him a borderline 1st line forward.
You contradict yourself in your post.

If he was a borderline 1st line center he wouldn't constantly be playing on the wing.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:47 AM
SaskRinkRat

I think it's funny that people keep suggesting potential assistant coaches when Bergevin made it abundantly clear that whoever was given the HC job would choose his staff. Under no circumstances should management be hand-picking assistant coaches for a head coach.

The only way I see assistant coaches being announced at the same time as the head coach is if the head coach already has his team set up when he gets the job, which seems doubtful.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
MathMan

Quote:
The dude has real two-way skills, can play tough minutes, and, just as importantly, scored 33+ goals in each of the last 3 seasons (29+ if you go back 4). That is a heck of a lot of goals. One mediocre offensive season (with injuries) doesn't undo that... especially a "mediocre" season where he scored at a pace of 31 goals over 82 games.

If he's not a first-line center, the bar is set absurdly high.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:06 PM
MathMan

Quote:
If he was a borderline 1st line center he wouldn't constantly be playing on the wing.
He plays on the wing because his team ices Richards and Kopitar already (both first-line centers themselves) and his game is more suited to the wing than those two.

But if you insist that he's really a winger, then feel free to mentally change my statement for "trading a bad D-man for a first-line forward".

Old
05-11-2012, 12:08 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
The dude has real two-way skills, can play tough minutes, and, just as importantly, scored 33+ goals in each of the last 3 seasons (29+ if you go back 4). That is a heck of a lot of goals. One bad offensive season doesn't undo that.

If he's not a first-line center, the bar is set absurdly high.
The guy's been playing on the wing for 2 seasons now.

He was a product of a very strong offensive team in Philadelphia that skewed his numbers positively. He's the 3rd best center on HIS team and there are quite a few teams out there that would ring true on as well.

You're overrating his 2 way skills too.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
He plays on the wing because his team ices Richards and Kopitar already (both first-line centers themselves) and his game is more suited to the wing than those two.

But if you insist that he's really a winger, then feel free to mentally change my statement for "trading a bad D-man for a first-line forward".
Yeah...that's why Carter plays on the wing

Old
05-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
The guy's been playing on the wing for 2 seasons now.

He was a product of a very strong offensive team in Philadelphia that skewed his numbers positively. He's the 3rd best center on HIS team and there are quite a few teams out there that would ring true on as well.

Carter was next in line on Team Canada in 2010 Olympics and was asked to wait around with team because of Getzlaf's uncertainty. That's saying a lot given the number of first line players who didn't make Team Canada.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Sorry, I have an issue with that. While AV should take some of the blame for this year's early exit, he did coach the Canucks to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals a year a go, and two consecutive President's Trophies. The issue that I have is that he can't put the skates on and when I see key players on the team not contributing anything, I find hard to blame the coach for not motivating his players to get up for the playoffs. I can see it during a long regular season, but if a NHL player can't motivate himself for the playoffs, it's not a coaching issue, but rather a question of character on the player(s).

Old
05-11-2012, 12:17 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Carter was next in line on Team Canada in 2010 Olympics and was asked to wait around with team because of Getzlaf's uncertainty. That's saying a lot given the number of first line players who didn't make Team Canada.
So, you think Carter is better than Spezza?

Who cares about that 2010 team? They made several mistakes and were fortunate the team was so strong.

I'm sure Carter being next in line had more to do with him being a linemate quite often of Richards than anything else

Old
05-11-2012, 12:17 PM
MathMan

Quote:
He's the 3rd best center on HIS team and there are quite a few teams out there that would ring true on as well.
Quite a few? Lemme think. Pittsburgh and LA, obviously, and Detroit too. Maybe Chicago if you see Kane as a center. Philly back when they had Giroux and Richards, but not anymore. Who else? You might make a case for San Jose, because they probably don't want to move Couture to the wing, but he's probably still better than Couture. He's better than Vinny these days so Tampa's out. He's probably better than Kesler too, so Vancouver's out as well.

That's probably it: PIT, LA, DET, and maybe CHI and SJ. And we haven't gone into how many teams he'd be the best center on. Heck, even in LA you can argue he's as good a center as Richards but he's a better winger than him.

Quote:
Not really.

Closed Thread