HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF Game 6: Rangers @ Caps. 7:30pm. VC. 5.9.2012 (Return of the Ward Thread)

Old
05-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
4 min TOI for Ovie Sat night. Hat trick (including empty netter). Caps win. Torts goes into a coma.
I wouldn't be surprised of he does anyway, after a whole series of Hunter's confusing tactics.

I can only imagine him following that whole Beagle incident before game 6

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
amin723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencejame View Post
Really funny how many caps disrespect and under appreciate ovechkin...o well
In my opinion you see this mentality a lot on message boards and among die-hards. I would say a lot of people try to separate themselves from the peons and bandwagoners who follow the team, so they latch onto other players as their favorite. I mean there's a reason I'm not getting an Ovechkin jersey when I get one, and it's because everyone else has one...It makes you look and feel like a better fan.

Just because Ovechkin+Backstrom is doing better than Ovechkin-Backstrom. Doesn't mean Backstrom is suddenly more important than Ovechkin. He's a great player, but this isn't a Malkin/Crosby style debate...

amin723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
txpd

the caps are a hurting bunch when backstrom and green are out of the lineup or off their game. the team is a loser when on ov alone. that doesnt mean that 8 isnt the best player on the team.

agree with rousearoo here. in may ways this is a sakic or forsberg question. sakic was the better player. sakic couldnt make anything happen without forsberg there.

we saw what the team looked like without nicky for a long stretch of games. we fortunately have never seen what the caps look like with ovechkin out for a long stretch.

there's a reason why both boudreau and hunter have come to the playoffs and seperated backstrom from ovechkin and the result be that ovechkin still leads the team in scoring. ovechkin takes the big defense dogs with him and backs works against the b team.

ovechkin is a one man wrecking crew. over a series he destroys the opposing teams best defensemen physically. by the end they are far less effective. meanwhile he continues to strike when it counts the most for big goals.

healthy, you can't check backstrom with the b team.

as green's offensive game begins to hit on all cylinders the caps bring something to the table that cant be matched. green diminished is no great shakes. his defense is better and thats great, but his offensive game when at its best is in a catagory of its own. i dont know if the caps win tomorrow, but if green's "a" offensive games is deployed from here out, the caps are really hard to stop

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:18 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by amin723 View Post
In my opinion you see this mentality a lot on message boards and among die-hards. I would say a lot of people try to separate themselves from the peons and bandwagoners who follow the team, so they latch onto other players as their favorite. I mean there's a reason I'm not getting an Ovechkin jersey when I get one, and it's because everyone else has one...It makes you look and feel like a better fan.

Just because Ovechkin+Backstrom is doing better than Ovechkin-Backstrom. Doesn't mean Backstrom is suddenly more important than Ovechkin. He's a great player, but this isn't a Malkin/Crosby style debate...
This nails it on the head. Not choosing the obvious.

Also agree with TX. Backstrom works against the b team. When 8 and 19 get split up the opposing team always leaves their top guys against 8 and there is a reason for that.

RE: Green

RH is onto something. Green has looked like he has been loosened of the reigns. DH has activated him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250px-Lobot_btm.jpg‎ (8.8 KB, 1 views)

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:28 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Brouwer Laich ruin Ovi.

Laich and Ovi have no chemistry.

Laich and Brouwer have no chemistry.

Ovi has done good with grinders working the puck down low and him in the slot but his 2 grinders have no chemistry and don't grind.

Then he gets stuck with MoJo who cannot finish an Ovi feed... Last one he scored on was Boston in the regular season.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:46 AM
txpd

i think green has the green light to do somethings. i dont think he is a dog of war that has been loosed on the rangers.

i think he has gone from being told to dump the puck in and play defense to being told he can load his gun, but careful how he uses it.

i will say that green's foray into the rangers zone on the pk opened my eyes a bit.

one thing to consider: we may now be in the zone of playoffs where both green and backstrom's relative inactivity during the regular season is becoming an advantage.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:53 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think green has the green light to do somethings. i dont think he is a dog of war that has been loosed on the rangers.

i think he has gone from being told to dump the puck in and play defense to being told he can load his gun, but careful how he uses it.

i will say that green's foray into the rangers zone on the pk opened my eyes a bit.

one thing to consider: we may now be in the zone of playoffs where both green and backstrom's relative inactivity during the regular season is becoming an advantage.
I agree. Things have been loosened a bit but he does have limits put on him.

Game by game he is becoming more and more visible and you can feel the confidence building within him.

A confident Green makes the Caps infinitely more formidable.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
txpd

this is why the idea of dumping green is such a bad one. at his best he is an unmatched offensive weapon. the only question is whether he regains his best offensive game. his defensive game appears to me to be better than ever.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:52 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Chuck Gormley‏@ChuckGormleyCSN

#CapsNYR Dale Hunter on if he's telling his players to pack for 5 days: "I donít know. I only bring one suit anyways. So Iím all packed up."

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:53 PM
JMUcapsfan07

Quote:
this is why the idea of dumping green is such a bad one. at his best he is an unmatched offensive weapon. the only question is whether he regains his best offensive game. his defensive game appears to me to be better than ever.

Agree 100% - don't understand the Green haters at all. At his worst during this postseason he has still been playing very well defensively.

JMUcapsfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
quoted for truth.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:14 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

According to *** twitter, Torts has but the rookie back on the second line and moved Feds to the 4th. A few other adjustments. Will be interesting to see how the boys respond.

edit: f ' n is a ****? Really?

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
According to *** twitter, Torts has but the rookie back on the second line and moved Feds to the 4th. A few other adjustments. Will be interesting to see how the boys respond.

edit: f ' n is a ****? Really?
more ice for the rookie isnt necessarily a bad thing for our bunch. his assist on the ovechkin goal the other night was nice

Old
05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
4 min TOI for Ovie Sat night. Hat trick (including empty netter). Caps win. Torts goes into a coma.
4 Min TOI, yes. Hat Trick, yes. But an ENG, no chance unless the Rags pull their goalie while they are winning.

Seriously, crunch time, we're up a goal, under two minutes, I doubt Ovi see's the ice for a second.

Oh, and Torts: Coma, no. Aneurysm, yes!

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
hook me up with some of what you are smoking!!!

Our best player wears #8.

Other teams know it as does the whole galaxy. Other teams fans crap their pants when #8 takes flight with the puck down the wing.

Other teams players MUST know where he is on the ice whether he has the puck or not for they could get blasted into little bits or be viciously embarrassed.

There is a reason why, despite whoever he plays with, AO draws the other teams top dmen.

In this series the Rags took what Boston did to another level. Not only did they start matching a dpairing against #8 but they are matching a forward line on him too.

He puts a great deal of FEAR into the opposition that maybe only 2 or 3 other players in the NHL do.

Backstrom is an all world outstanding player. But lets not go overboard...

Some don't realize (or choose to ignore) how much attention Ovy draws, how much ice he opens up, the defensive coverage he attracts drawing it away from his teammates.

Ovechkin is the best player on the team. Now that's not to say Backstrom hasn't played better from time to time.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
I still think Backstrom is our playoff MVP (besides Holtby). Ovechkin is Ovechkin, but Backstrom is more valueable player. He is the one who control the game.

Ovechkin is just a very powerful weapon. But Backstrom is MVP. If it makes any sense to you

Without Backstrom we are toast. Without OV we are still the capable team. Center vs winger. No chance by design. No offense.
Sadly, that speaks more to their lack of C depth and McPhee's GMing skills.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:57 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Sadly, that speaks more to their lack of C depth and McPhee's GMing skills.
Seriously stop crying.

How many teams have a good 2nd center? New York doesn't. New Jersey doesn't really even have a 1C.

Everyone sees some teams with a good 2C and everyone thinks every team must have one, there's only a few and the Caps aren't all alone.

Depending on what you think of Kopitar, Caps have the best center of all the teams left in the playoffs.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
txpd

the without backstrom we are toast and without ov they are still capable facts. who scores without ovechkin? backstrom gets space because he is a pass first player with a quality finisher on the ice with him, 28.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Zajac, Elias, and Henrique are better than any center on the Caps outside of Backstrom.

LA did nothing in the playoffs until they sold the farm for Richards. They just steamrolled through the #1 and #2 seeds in the West.

Even a great #1 center won't play more than 20-25 minutes a game leaving 35-40 minutes where the opponent would have the advantage if they have better depth down the middle. This should be basic hockey knowledge.

Last edited by Brad Tolliver: 05-11-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:49 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

IDK if it was the Swedes or Russians fans, but the WHC game at the end I swear I heard an Ovi chant.

Could be Russians telling Malkin they love Ovi more.

Or it could be Swedes cheering on Ovi to eliminate the Rangers so they get Lundqist.

Or I could be completely wrong and it wasn't an Ovi chant.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:21 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Zajac, Elias, and Henrique are better than any center on the Caps outside of Backstrom.

LA did nothing in the playoffs until they sold the farm for Richards. They just steamrolled through the #1 and #2 seeds in the West.

Even a great #1 center won't play 20-25 minutes a game leaving 35-40 minutes where the opponent would have the advantage if they have better depth down the middle. This should be basic hockey knowledge.
damn...reality check. doom. done.

on to summer.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:25 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Boston has one of the deepest stables of centers in the league.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Midnight Judges

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUcapsfan07 View Post
Agree 100% - don't understand the Green haters at all. At his worst during this postseason he has still been playing very well defensively.
Green has played well and he seems to be getting better. That said, there have been a few "what were you thinking" moments such as the Kreider breakaway and a few bonehead passes during the Bruins series.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:28 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Depending on what you think of Kopitar, Caps have the best center of all the teams left in the playoffs.
Kopitar is a big body. He works hard along the boards and is good defensively. IMO, he may have the edge in defense (I honestly haven't seen Backstrom play all that much; I'll leave that up to the Caps fans); however, I think Backstrom is much more talented offensively.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

OV has some great tools (mostly about scoring the goal) but Backstrom's play with the puck is far better in my opinion. Plus he's undoubtedly better at defense. He's doing more things for the team, but... whatever. I love them both.

How Backstrom is playing so few minutes is a question for me. I guess he can play more.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote