HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joe Morrow Vs Martin Gernat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2012, 01:23 PM
  #1
HOCKEY_GURU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Joe Morrow Vs Martin Gernat

Not saying Gernat is anywhere close to Morrow...but wondering from those who are watching them play head to head in the playoffs, how their play has been....(obviously statistically theyre doing well).

HOCKEY_GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
  #2
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,617
vCash: 4250
Gernat's been very good. Very involved offensively and has been playing top end minutes in all situations. Really like him and all this time is great for his development.

With that being said, he's still not close to the level of prospect that Morrow is.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:24 PM
  #3
AcrossThePond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bristol, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
Will Gernat break the Oilers roster in a couple of years?

He's a big boy.

AcrossThePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:12 PM
  #4
4040tee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
maybe hes not the same level of prospect, but the same can be said for many first round picks in the past that were taken before guys like duncan keith and shea weber. By terms of upside, Gernat is still 6'5 and a natural-offensive talent...

so for however much Morrow is refined, potential is never something you can reject.

Gernat has clear upside and though he is less likely to reach it i think when comparing them its not as simple as just saying that Morrows the better prospect therefore he wins, the end. Gernat, could still end up the better player... lets discuss his chances and whether or not the player he can become is worth more than the player morrow can become.

4040tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
  #5
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Gernat's been very good. Very involved offensively and has been playing top end minutes in all situations. Really like him and all this time is great for his development.

With that being said, he's still not close to the level of prospect that Morrow is.
i like Morrow and wish we had an extra pick at the time to get him, but i'm glad we took Klefbom Gernat is a steal where he was taken in the draft. i'm glad we have him, but i think he'll take a bit longer to get to the NHL than Morrow will. (if Gernat ever makes it to the NHL).

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:20 PM
  #6
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,389
vCash: 500
Morrow's clearly the better prospect. Watch them both play before you just tell me which one is taller.

Morrow's the better skater, better puck mover (and powerplay QB), better shooter and is a lot more physical than his much larger counterpart. Gernat's taller and hence has a better reach.

This thread just isn't fair to Gernat (who's a good prospect) because he's being compared to one of the best defensive prospects not playing professional hockey. If Oilers fans really want to do a comparison, start in house by comparing Gernat to Martin Marincin.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:38 PM
  #7
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 68,713
vCash: 50
Morrow has higher upside than Despres - if you want a yard stick. He's going to be amazing when he joins the big club.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:17 PM
  #8
HOCKEY_GURU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
just to clarify...I know its not fair to compare the two...its more because theyre playing head to head now and come this far...so wanted opinions on their play...strengths..weaknesses..progress..playing above expected or below....ETA to NHL (if at all)...in short anything of noteworthyness...etc

thanks for the replies so far.

HOCKEY_GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
  #9
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 152
Based strictly off of their head to head match up in the WHL final, I would say that Gernat has been the more impressive player up to this point, and by a fair margin.

Obviously that is a very small sample size, and is by no means an indication of who will be the better player. What I will say is that I personally believe Morrow has a ton of work to do on the defensive side of the puck before he can make an impact in the NHL.

With that being said, what separates these two is Morrow's ability to take over a game. He truly has a dynamic quality about him that could make him a special player moving forward. He without a doubt has a higher upside then Gernat.

I have been very impressed with Gernat throughout these playoffs however. He is a very good player.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:10 PM
  #10
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Gernat's been very good. Very involved offensively and has been playing top end minutes in all situations. Really like him and all this time is great for his development.

With that being said, he's still not close to the level of prospect that Morrow is.
While his offensive game has been impressive, his defensive game has been equally unimpressive. He has been a giveaway machine. As have most if not all of the Oil King's d.

I really like Morrow a lot. Such a smooth skater, really good shot. Guy is going to be a gooder.

Gernat may develop into a good player himself, but I would take Morrow if given the choice.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:21 PM
  #11
franfrey*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Morrow's clearly the better prospect. Watch them both play before you just tell me which one is taller.

Morrow's the better skater, better puck mover (and powerplay QB), better shooter and is a lot more physical than his much larger counterpart. Gernat's taller and hence has a better reach.

This thread just isn't fair to Gernat (who's a good prospect) because he's being compared to one of the best defensive prospects not playing professional hockey. If Oilers fans really want to do a comparison, start in house by comparing Gernat to Martin Marincin.
I agree that this is a bit of a ridiculous VS thread, but Gernat is an amazing puck mover and powerplay QB. It seems like he can dominate the cycle in the offensive zone. It's really impressive to watch. Anyways, my point is that they're about equal offensively but Morrow trumps him defensively for sure.

Another thing is that Gernat is viewed as a project so you probably won't see him in the NHL for a while, whereas Morrow is close to being NHL ready, which puts him even higher above Gernat.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:31 PM
  #12
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!
 
TheKingSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 500
If Gernat can become a physical force, his potential could sky rocket. The guy has more goals than Morrow, but only 3 fewer points in 2 less games. Morrow has 3 goals but 15 points. Portland is arguably the better team offensively so it stands to reason why he has 12 assists.

Perhaps Gernat could become close to a Jason Garrisson type d-man. Big PP point producer favouring goals over assists, and can log 15-16 easy-ish minutes a night.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:40 PM
  #13
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,059
vCash: 226
Watching both of them in the finals I'd say Gernat looks way better to be honest.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:43 PM
  #14
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
While his offensive game has been impressive, his defensive game has been equally unimpressive. He has been a giveaway machine. As have most if not all of the Oil King's d.

I really like Morrow a lot. Such a smooth skater, really good shot. Guy is going to be a gooder.

Gernat may develop into a good player himself, but I would take Morrow if given the choice.
Agreed. Gernat is not an all situational dman. He's an offensive defenseman who has much work to do in his own zone.

I did like his play with Marancin in the U20 tournament. Great raw package but no where near as complete as Morrow.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:42 AM
  #15
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Based strictly off of their head to head match up in the WHL final, I would say that Gernat has been the more impressive player up to this point, and by a fair margin.

Obviously that is a very small sample size, and is by no means an indication of who will be the better player. What I will say is that I personally believe Morrow has a ton of work to do on the defensive side of the puck before he can make an impact in the NHL.

With that being said, what separates these two is Morrow's ability to take over a game. He truly has a dynamic quality about him that could make him a special player moving forward. He without a doubt has a higher upside then Gernat.

I have been very impressed with Gernat throughout these playoffs however. He is a very good player.
The bolded part is music to my ears.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:02 AM
  #16
Keke Mortsons helmet
Registered User
 
Keke Mortsons helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cocobila
Country: Honduras
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Gernat has a huge reach; Gernat via TKO, 2nd rnd.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
  #17
HopefulCoach
Registered User
 
HopefulCoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Watching both of them in the finals I'd say Gernat looks way better to be honest.
Watching thoughout the season Morrow was by for the better of the two as he was more well rounded. This series though Gernat has found some semblance of a defensive game which at times have made him look better then Morrow (Morrow having some issues in his own end has helped that). That being said its a small sample size and Morrow showed more for a longer period of time and because of that still has more potential then Gernat.

If Gernat shows he can play good D consistently throughout a season then there might be a conversation here but until then, Morrow is better

HopefulCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:50 AM
  #18
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
No brainer Gernat is the better of the 2, and if he puts 20-30lbs he's be a monster. Gernat bleeds potential and IMO is a year behind Morrow in development, give him another year and this question would never be asked.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:52 AM
  #19
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,617
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
No brainer Gernat is the better of the 2, and if he puts 20-30lbs he's be a monster. Gernat bleeds potential and IMO is a year behind Morrow in development, give him another year and this question would never be asked.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
  #20
jebs
Registered User
 
jebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Who do u like more, Gernat or Marincin?

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
  #21
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,617
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
Who do u like more, Gernat or Marincin?
I used to like Marincin more, but Gernat has surpassed him in my books by a little bit. Maybe that's just because I've seen him so much more. I think Gernat might end up being better offensively while Marincin will play tougher in his own zone. Similar players though.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:51 AM
  #22
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Gernat's been very good. Very involved offensively and has been playing top end minutes in all situations. Really like him and all this time is great for his development.

With that being said, he's still not close to the level of prospect that Morrow is.
This EDM-POR series is the only WHL action I have seen this season.. I dont see anything special in Morrow. How do you compare him to a guy like Pysyk? Both to me play a similar game. I dont see either one of them putting up big numbers in NHL.
Gernat is not well rounded but is flashier so stands out.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
  #23
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,101
vCash: 500
I like Gernat. He's big and is just oozing with potential, offensively and defensively. Him and Marincin will be a huge Slovak tandem for years to come for the Oilers.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:56 AM
  #24
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,617
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
This EDM-POR series is the only WHL action I have seen this season.. I dont see anything special in Morrow. How do you compare him to a guy like Pysyk? Both to me play a similar game. I dont see either one of them putting up big numbers in NHL.
Gernat is not well rounded but is flashier so stands out.
Yeah Pysyk and Morrow are somewhat similar players. Both smart, puck movers and like to join the rush. I think Pysyk is much better defensively at this point, but he also has an extra year under his belt. Morrow has the edge offensively, though.

I think Pysyk will end up as a solid #3-4 type of guy like a Jordan Leopold. Might have some decent offensive totals and isn't a risk in his own zone.

Morrow could end up being a 35-45 point player in my view. He's got a rocket slapshot and will likely be a top unit PP guy, maybe even alongside Kris Letang in Pittsburgh. He'll be a top 3 D, but will have limited PK minutes.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:56 AM
  #25
jebs
Registered User
 
jebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I used to like Marincin more, but Gernat has surpassed him in my books by a little bit. Maybe that's just because I've seen him so much more. I think Gernat might end up being better offensively while Marincin will play tougher in his own zone. Similar players though.
Interesting. Thanks for that.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.