HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Playoff Ticket Prices & Availability (PART II)

Old
05-11-2012, 11:21 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Take it for what it's worth, but I happen to know for a fact teams dump unsold tickets on stubhub. I worked at an NHL venue for 2 years and know some people in their ticketing office. It makes sense from a business standpoint -- why have the seat empty? From a fans perspective, I could see why it gets people upset.

05-11-2012, 11:21 AM
patnyrnyg

What is also funny is how when EBay first started and then started gaining steam and before Stubhub was around and before the ticket scalping laws came in to play, teams did what they could to prevent people from re-selling for a profit. Teams would monitor ebay and force ebay to remove auctions when the bidding was over face value (or whatever the local law allowed). Now, they are worried about people selling for less than face value.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:29 AM
theyankeesguy*

Send a message via AIM to theyankeesguy*
Ya I guess for the Orioles they would rather unload the seats and fill the house as it will generate more revenue. Also, it would look poor for the team to sell the tickets to sell them for that low.

But if that were the case then why would a team that sells tickets for such a low price complain to StubHub? Hence, the reason why I can't imagine the Yankees filling the house. IMO I think these tickets are probably sold in packages, and having to unload them at a cost below face. This people expect to make this up in the playoffs, I assume? And people are probably buying these tickets from season ticket holders opposed to buying tickets from individual tickets cutting the Yankees sales. If this is the case, then the bottom line is that the should cut their ticket prices if no one is paying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Because the tickets are not selling at the prices which they set. So, they would rather sell the ticket for $5 then get nothing at all. With the Yankees, not saying all those seats are from the Yankees themselves, I was talking more about other teams.

Take a look at tomorrow's Orioles game.

http://www.stubhub.com/baltimore-ori...-2012-2033178/

You can get a block of seats in upper reserve 328, rows 21, 22, 23. In row 21 you can get seats 1-16. Row 2 seats 1-13, row 23 seats 1-15. Are you trying to tell me there is a fan that has that many seats at the top of the stadium for a team that doesn't sell out? Give me a break. Anyone who can afford that, will just be buying better seats. Same seat if bought through the Orioles website would be $20.25. Couldn't sell at that price so the team lowers the block on stubhub.

I read the article you posted. Implied there are teams that are satisfied with stubhub. Besides, even if they do end their agreement, not as if people (and the teams directly) wont continue to list the seats. Furthermore, there are people who buy packages to sell games even with the understanding they will have to sell some below what they paid if they feel that can be made up by selling the more popular games and play-off games at a premium. If that is taken away, the motivation for those people to continue buying packages will be minimized.

theyankeesguy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Take it for what it's worth, but I happen to know for a fact teams dump unsold tickets on stubhub. I worked at an NHL venue for 2 years and know some people in their ticketing office. It makes sense from a business standpoint -- why have the seat empty? From a fans perspective, I could see why it gets people upset.
Without question. The last Isles-Rangers game at the Coliseum this season it was done. Nothing was available on ticketdisaster. However, on stubhub, you could buy full rows in almost every section of the 300's. Including the upper corners which are obstructed view. No chance were those all put up by fans. When I say you could buy full rows, I am saying the entire row on one order. Not as if you could simply buy 1-4 from one person and by luck 5-8, 9-12 from other people and so on.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
theyankeesguy*

Send a message via AIM to theyankeesguy*
Ooh. I didn't know that tickets could go right from teams inventory to StubHub. So I remember the Isles-Rangers at Coliseum had nothing on TM but ton's on SH. So the NYI could just sell directly on SH at a slight premium and take the profits. Wouldn't it almost be more effective if the teams use dynamic pricing then seemingly pay StubHub? Is it just because StubHub already has the traffic and resources so it's easier for the teams to outsource?

Quote:
Without question. The last Isles-Rangers game at the Coliseum this season it was done. Nothing was available on ticketdisaster. However, on stubhub, you could buy full rows in almost every section of the 300's. Including the upper corners which are obstructed view. No chance were those all put up by fans. When I say you could buy full rows, I am saying the entire row on one order. Not as if you could simply buy 1-4 from one person and by luck 5-8, 9-12 from other people and so on.

theyankeesguy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyankeesguy View Post
Ya I guess for the Orioles they would rather unload the seats and fill the house as it will generate more revenue. Also, it would look poor for the team to sell the tickets to sell them for that low.

But if that were the case then why would a team that sells tickets for such a low price complain to StubHub? Hence, the reason why I can't imagine the Yankees filling the house. IMO I think these tickets are probably sold in packages, and having to unload them at a cost below face. This people expect to make this up in the playoffs, I assume? And people are probably buying these tickets from season ticket holders opposed to buying tickets from individual tickets cutting the Yankees sales. If this is the case, then the bottom line is that the should cut their ticket prices if no one is paying that.
Uhm, not sure what you are trying to say here. Why would the Orioles complain? I doubt they are complaining. They are probably benefitting from being able to sell on stubhub for less.

The Yankees have taken a beating with ticket sales since the new stadium opened. Everyone and their mother bought packages thinking demand would be high and they could sell games on stubhub for a profit to off-set their cost. The Yankees even use that tactic as part of their sales pitch. I know, because they call me at least 3 times a year to buy packages. The problem is when thousands of people are doing this, the increased supply drives the prices down. So, that first year fans took a beating and were giving tickets away, so did the brokers. As a result, they canceled packages. Now, the Yankees are desperate to sell.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:46 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyankeesguy View Post
Ooh. I didn't know that tickets could go right from teams inventory to StubHub. So I remember the Isles-Rangers at Coliseum had nothing on TM but ton's on SH. So the NYI could just sell directly on SH at a slight premium and take the profits. Wouldn't it almost be more effective if the teams use dynamic pricing then seemingly pay StubHub? Is it just because StubHub already has the traffic and resources so it's easier for the teams to outsource?
The Isles do use dynamic pricing. But, they didnt want to make the face on individual tickets for the Rangers game $100. Sure they can do this, why can't they? All you need is a credit card, an email address and an internet connection. Quite simple, Isles get company credit cards for managers and employees in the ticketing department. Then create stubhub accounts, and sell through those accounts, and take the $.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:46 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
The law is going to eventually catch up to primary ticket sales on secondary markets. One day you'll have strict rules for event holders including full disclosures on where tickets are being sold. There's too much room for anti-competitive behavior otherwise. Teams right now can just release 5% of inventory on ticketmaster, and then trickle the other 95% over weeks on ticketsnow at the lowest price, thereby undercutting their own fans and artificially inflating the market.

I'm pretty sure they're breaking existing laws right now too

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:48 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
those were brokers.. islanders allow brokers to buy group seats

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:56 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I know for a fact that the Mets put their own tickets on StubHub but that was obvious. Last year I saw tickets in the same spot (behind the dugout in the higher rows) with anywhere from 8 to 16 together. No person at that price point has that many tickets together and is gonna take that much of a loss let alone multiple people. Plus it came out that some people that purchased tickets on StubHub got an email from the Mets saying "thank you for purchasing from the Mets ticketing department."

05-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Welke94

Need 2 tickets 300's or 400's pm what you have. Thank you

Welke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:57 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
those were brokers.. islanders allow brokers to buy group seats
all brokers? you really think brokers are going to take on that kind of inventory of obstructed view seats? The demand for ranger-islander games is not nearly as high as it used to be.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:59 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I know for a fact that the Mets put their own tickets on StubHub but that was obvious. Last year I saw tickets in the same spot (behind the dugout in the higher rows) with anywhere from 8 to 16 together. No person at that price point has that many tickets together and is gonna take that much of a loss let alone multiple people. Plus it came out that some people that purchased tickets on StubHub got an email from the Mets saying "thank you for purchasing from the Mets ticketing department."
since all mlb sales on stubhub have to be e-tickets, I believe you get that email for all teams regardless of from whom you are buying. So, if I buy Mets tickets at box office, turn around and post on stubhub and you buy them, you will get the message thanking you for buying from the Mets.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
since all mlb sales on stubhub have to be e-tickets, I believe you get that email for all teams regardless of from whom you are buying. So, if I buy Mets tickets at box office, turn around and post on stubhub and you buy them, you will get the message thanking you for buying from the Mets.
Don't recall getting that email when I bought tickets to a Yankee game last year and that was a two ticket listing.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
all brokers? you really think brokers are going to take on that kind of inventory of obstructed view seats? The demand for ranger-islander games is not nearly as high as it used to be.
at the rate they get them for, yes

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:05 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
ok. i know you are in the know on this, so will trust what you say. you might have given me an idea for next year!

Old
05-11-2012, 12:08 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ok. i know you are in the know on this, so will trust what you say. you might have given me an idea for next year!
That's another way teams do this, they sell blocks to brokers at discount rates with the full knowledge that they're going to flip them on stubhub one second later

Old
05-11-2012, 12:20 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

looking for 2 tickets, im a die hard fan.. gimie a good deal and 2 beers on me

goalie dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:45 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Because the tickets are not selling at the prices which they set. So, they would rather sell the ticket for $5 then get nothing at all. With the Yankees, not saying all those seats are from the Yankees themselves, I was talking more about other teams.

Take a look at tomorrow's Orioles game.

http://www.stubhub.com/baltimore-ori...-2012-2033178/

You can get a block of seats in upper reserve 328, rows 21, 22, 23. In row 21 you can get seats 1-16. Row 2 seats 1-13, row 23 seats 1-15. Are you trying to tell me there is a fan that has that many seats at the top of the stadium for a team that doesn't sell out? Give me a break. Anyone who can afford that, will just be buying better seats. Same seat if bought through the Orioles website would be $20.25. Couldn't sell at that price so the team lowers the block on stubhub.

those tickets are most likely bought by Brokers who buy season tickets at a discount with the hope of making their money if the playoffs happen, while the Orioles are not a likely contender to make the playoffs, it would be very profitable if they did make it and they had blocks of dozens of tickets they would get a reduced price come playoff time, and if they ever made it to to the World Series they would have a fortune

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:52 PM
broadwayblue

Decided to see what kind of luck I might have on Ticket Exchange...posted my pair in nearly the last row of 115 and they sold for over $1,000 within an hour. Crazy. I guess that it's a game 7 has a lot to do with it.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:55 PM
lost35*

Quote:
The Isles do use dynamic pricing. But, they didnt want to make the face on individual tickets for the Rangers game $100. Sure they can do this, why can't they? All you need is a credit card, an email address and an internet connection. Quite simple, Isles get company credit cards for managers and employees in the ticketing department. Then create stubhub accounts, and sell through those accounts, and take the $.
I highly doubt the Islanders would funnel their own tickets to stubhub, as I said most likely those are people who buy blocks of those seats in the hopes of making their money if they get deep in the playoffs, you go look at any other game in the regular season most of those same tickets are there and most games they are selling them for $10 a ticket

Last edited by BlueShirts88: 05-11-2012 at 01:01 PM.
lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:00 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Decided to see what kind of luck I might have on Ticket Exchange...posted my pair in nearly the last row of 115 and they sold for over $1,000 within an hour. Crazy. I guess that it's a game 7 has a lot to do with it.
holy crap nice score. Now you can buy a cheaper single and go for free

Old
05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
holy crap nice score. Now you can buy a cheaper single and go for free
Yeah, I'll just have to suck it up and sit in my "bad" pair in 329, B. lol

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Rangers2319

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
no they do not, from what I have heard it is nearly impossible to get a scan report from MSG

and like I said, that is why a "scan report" proves nothing, but basically stubhub wants you to do some work to prove your innocence, and this is the flaw in stubhub, and this is their 1 justification for their insane fees because in cases they can not prove the seller or buyer are lying they have to play neutral and take the loss

I have had a bunch of cases where I got a chargeback as the buyers were "rejected" but in most cases I was able to get a scan report from the venues, however I heard certain venues it is nearly impossible to get them and I know MSG is one, basically they do not want to get involved in ticket scalping issues and they know if someone is asking for a scan report, it is most likely for an issue with scalping

for this reason is why I almost never buy "e-tickets" as the risk of fraud is to big, however I have heard cases where "regular" tickets also were denied, but with e-tickets it is really the honor system and anyone can be a scammer and get away with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
this is the "flaw" in stubhub

I sell tons of tickets on stubhub, it is basically my source of income

basically a buyer can be a *****, and claim their tickets were bogus, in that case Stubhub will hit you with a chargeback unless you get a "scan report" from Madison Square Garden, basically with the scan report it will show when the tickets were scanned and how many times it was scanned, a scan report still proves nothing, it is just Stubhub wants you to do some work to "prove" your innocence

Like I said it is basically the flaw in Stubhub and it is basically the honor system, with Stubhub charging the insane fees that they do, in cases they can not prove the buyer or seller are lying they have to just play neutral and write it as a loss, as long as you do work to "prove" your innocence

both very valid points, thats what has kind of kept me away from stubhub but hopefully this transaction goes over smoothly.

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
A few on here were saying that ticket prices were going to go down as we get closer to the game but prices have definitely stayed solid and probably have risen slightly. I think that a lot of STH,s are going to this game and not selling their tickets making less inventory. The only game I saw a price drop was game 1 of this series where because of the short turnaround it seemed like some STH,s panicked and dropped their resale prices. Otherwise the market has been strong and will only get stronger after we crush the Caps tomorrow night.

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote