HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elliotte Friedman 30/30 column-Rangers thoughts

Old
05-09-2012, 02:35 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Elliotte Friedman 30/30 column-Rangers thoughts

The best weekly column on the NHL. Elliotte has covered the Rangers-Caps series for CBC. You can tell he has spent some time talking to the Rangers people.

Quote:
18. The next day (Sunday), the Rangers reminded players about their "rules" of shot blocking. As one explained it, Lundqvist (and the coaches), ask that if you're going to block, you have to stop everything low. That is your responsibility. Green's shot got through the otherwise excellent Ryan McDonagh for the score.There are not supposed to be any holes along (or slightly above) the ice.
About the Gomez deal.

Quote:
22. When Sather realized he had a shot at making the deal, he went to Director of player personnel Gordie Clark and asked, "Who should we get?" Both Clark and assistant GM Jeff Gorton had McDonagh No. 1. The Rangers really liked him going back to the NHL combine of his draft year and always kept an eye on him. (He was taken before New York selected the late Alexei Cherepanov.) Who was No. 2 if Montreal said no? "It never got that far," Clark said.

23. Clark explained how the Rangers (and presumably every other team) keep an updated list of about four/five players from all other organizations they'd target in a deal. "We're not talking about guys like [Steven] Stamkos," he said. "Everybody wants him. It's about prospects or lesser-known players. You watch everyone else's like you watch your own." That way, when Sather needs an answer, he gets one quickly.

24. Clark added the Rangers liked McDonagh for the same reason they noticed Chris Kreider and Dylan McIlrath at their comebines. "Physically, it was like men amongst boys," he said. "You have to be careful to make certain they have the hockey sense to play the way they need to, but they really stood out."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

I remember when the Rangers had one pro scout under Neil Smith and they didn't know what they were doing. That pro scout used to be a Rangers intern. Slats is the boss but Gorton,Clark and head pro scout Kevin Maxwell have major input on personnel.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Still unfathomable to me that Gainey was idiotic enough to make that deal.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Jackson Ranger

Great article. Reminds of the Walt MacPeek articles from the Star Ledger with all of his little tidbits.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

In hindsight, it's insane, but at the time many people had thought McDonagh's development had stalled and he'd never turn into the #1 d-man that he was projected to be. The defensive game was there, but he never consistently showed the offensive game that he was thought to have had.

Hell, I'll be the first one to admit that I thought he was looking like more of a #4 guy than a #1. I compared him to Brad Stuart after we picked him up in the trade. A mobile 2nd pairing guy who could hit and make a smart play. Didn't think he'd live up to expectations. Glad to be proven wrong.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The best weekly column on the NHL. Elliotte has covered the Rangers-Caps series for CBC. You can tell he has spent some time talking to the Rangers people.

About the Gomez deal.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

I remember when the Rangers had one pro scout under Neil Smith and they didn't know what they were doing. That pro scout used to be a Rangers intern. Slats is the boss but Gorton,Clark and head pro scout Kevin Maxwell have major input on personnel.
Just curious - who was that one pro scout under Smith that was an intern?

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:28 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I guess there's a reason why one of these two GMs is still employed and the other isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
I'll intern with the Rangers as a pro scout!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:42 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Haha I remember when we got McD everyone was like "What's a MacDunna?" And then we found out and we were all like.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
nafsregnar27

Thanks for sharing. With the thread about Gauthier not liking McDonagh and this one, it's nice to see how the deal went down. Sather, you a fiend

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
McD could have turned into another Marek Malik and we still would have come out winners in that trade.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
McD could have turned into another Marek Malik and we still would have come out winners in that trade.
I enjoyed the notion that at the time leading up until the trade, I had resided to the fact that we were going to need to bait another team into taking on the Gomez contract by giving up additional assets or giving them a 1st rounder in the process. That's why I was so floored to learn that we not only shed the contract, but also acquired significant asset(s) in the process.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
clmetsfan

And to compound the absurdity of the trade is that even if McDonagh busted, we still got a generally useful player in addition to him with Chris Higgins. He didn't score with us, but he was at least a responsible penalty killing forward. Had McDonagh never seen a game in the NHL we STILL would have been huge winners in that deal.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Kevin McDonald. When Neil Smith was fired in 2000,McDonald joined Larry Pleau in St.Louis the following season. Pleau was the Rangers AGM from 1989-1997. McDonald is still with the Blues.

Quote:
The 2011-12 season is McDonald’s 24th season working in the NHL. He began his career in professional hockey in 1988 as a member of the communications department of the New York Rangers. McDonald served in a variety of capacities in that department, including Director of Communications. Following the 1993-94 season, when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup, he moved into the Rangers’ hockey operations department and worked as an assistant to Rangers General Manager Neil Smith during the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season. From 1995 to 2001, McDonald served as a professional scout for the Rangers, traveling throughout North America and Europe to evaluate professional hockey players.
http://blues.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=34321

He was an intern. Brooks made a big deal about the Rangers lack of scouting in a Sunday column. Smith did not have a big support staff. It was him and Pleau. The Rangers had the money to hire more people but they didn't.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I enjoyed the notion that at the time leading up until the trade, I had resided to the fact that we were going to need to bait another team into taking on the Gomez contract by giving up additional assets or giving them a 1st rounder in the process. That's why I was so floored to learn that we not only shed the contract, but also acquired significant asset(s) in the process.
One of my best memories since joining HFBoards was reading the announcement that we'd traded Gomez...and actually gotten assets back.
And that's having no clue who McDonagh was either.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

Yup I was shocked when Montreal had to add to the deal.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
And to compound the absurdity of the trade is that even if McDonagh busted, we still got a generally useful player in addition to him with Chris Higgins. He didn't score with us, but he was at least a responsible penalty killing forward. Had McDonagh never seen a game in the NHL we STILL would have been huge winners in that deal.
And Higgins gave us Prust, while the $$$ saved on Gomez allowed us to sign Gaborik. Amazing trade. I know McGuire isn't the most popular person on these boards , but I remember listening to him after this trade & he was trying to be respectful of the trade
but basically said the HAbs blew this big time. This trade defined the upcoming years for both franchises. What a trade can do !!!!

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:03 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
In hindsight, it's insane, but at the time many people had thought McDonagh's development had stalled and he'd never turn into the #1 d-man that he was projected to be. The defensive game was there, but he never consistently showed the offensive game that he was thought to have had.

Hell, I'll be the first one to admit that I thought he was looking like more of a #4 guy than a #1. I compared him to Brad Stuart after we picked him up in the trade. A mobile 2nd pairing guy who could hit and make a smart play. Didn't think he'd live up to expectations. Glad to be proven wrong.
He's a first pairing guy but everything else here is correct.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:54 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Man, I'll never forget how vicious the arguments on the main board were about Gomez's trade value.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote