HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan Needs His Own Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Washington may have changed their team style, but they are still much, much more dangerous offensively than Ottawa. You have a point about the matchups. Hunter was able to match the Brouwer line against the Richards line and it made the night easy.

On the flip side, do you really want Kreider playing top 6 minutes being matched up opposite an Ovechkin, Semin, or Backstrom? Im not so sure about that.
Game 7 is at home. That situation can be avoided.

And putting our top 6 forwards into the ACTUAL top 6 will have a trickle down effect. It will give give the guys with doorknobs attached to their wrists less ice time. (Feds, Prust, Boyle, Mitchell.)

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Game 7 is at home. That situation can be avoided.

And putting our top 6 forwards into the ACTUAL top 6 will have a trickle down effect. It will give give the guys with doorknobs attached to their wrists less ice time. (Feds, Prust, Boyle, Mitchell.)
Oh, you mean the guys that are responsible defensively?

A commitment to team defense is the driving force behind this successful season. I, for one, dont feel comfortable throwing a kid out there like Kreider who is capable of the defensive zone play he exhibited in game 4, which can be described as careless if you want to put it nicely.

Everyone is so hungry for goals they seem to ignore the collateral damage.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:

A commitment to team defense is the driving force behind this successful season. I, for one, dont feel comfortable throwing a kid out there like Kreider who is capable of the defensive zone play he exhibited in game 4, which can be described as careless if you want to put it nicely.

Use the Boyle line, (third line) for shutdown defense. We don't have a guy like Ovechkin, who can make a difference with one shift on the PP. Caps can play Jay Beagle for 22 mins. But their PP has more creativity and skill in their pinkies than ours does in their entire bodies. Furthermore, Chimera always finds a way to score against us, so that helps them with their scoring depth. Their 4th line embarrassed us in Game 2 (Knuble goal from Ward when Bickel made the stupid cross ice pass.) you think our fourth line would be able to take over such an opportunity? You'd be lying if you think they'd complete such a play. (Even though the defending was putrid on that.) still though, it would look nice to the average viewer of the game. Hell, I've seen our 1st line not even get a SOG on an odd man rush. The Caps can get away with Semin, Backstrom, and Ovechkin getting 12 TOI on ES. We can't do that with our top guys. They need more playing time to produce.

...And please explain to me what the **** Brandon Prust, who hasn't scored since the Big Bang, was doing on the ice with 2 minutes remaining yesterday.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:54 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Use the Boyle line, (third line) for shutdown defense. We don't have a guy like Ovechkin, who can make a difference with one shift on the PP. Caps can play Jay Beagle for 22 mins. But their PP has more creativity and skill in their pinkies than ours does in their entire bodies. Furthermore, Chimera always finds a way to score against us, so that helps them with their scoring depth. Their 4th line embarrassed us in Game 2 (Knuble goal from Ward when Bickel made the stupid cross ice pass.) you think our fourth line would be able to take over such an opportunity? You'd be lying if you think they'd complete such a play. (Even though the defending was putrid on that.) still though, it would look nice to the average viewer of the game. Hell, I've seen our 1st line not even get a SOG on an odd man rush. The Caps can get away with Semin, Backstrom, and Ovechkin getting 12 TOI on ES. We can't do that with our top guys. They need more playing time to produce.

...And please explain to me what the **** Brandon Prust, who hasn't scored since the Big Bang, was doing on the ice with 2 minutes remaining yesterday.
John Mitchell was tired

Last edited by jskramer83: 05-10-2012 at 05:08 PM.
jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:04 PM
NikC

Quote:

right on. I like Prust, but Torts is making me loathe his face. Boyle as well. He's been rotten since Neil decked him.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:

Yeah, like we're such a huge powerhouse on offense

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Miller Time NYR

really hasnt been at all impressive this series, regardless hes on the third line because he doesnt cycle the puck or play the boards nearly as good as fedostinko or mitchell because we all know cycling and playing the boards directly results in goals.......... oh wait no its creativity and offensive prowess that leads to goals, funny because they guys that get more ice time then him have none.... must be a torts secret to success.

i also absolutely love the fact that anisimov has a GREAT game 4, gets locked down in game 5 then gets 4 minutes in game 6 while prust plays 12 and takes a retarded penalty.

Miller Time NYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:21 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He should be playing with Kreider, or Arty, or something.

Not with Feds and Prust.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Rangers1985

Tortorella's own stubborness is what will ultimately cost this team.

Yeah obviously we're not exactly an offensive powerhouse, but some of these lines hes assembling are just retarded.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post
Tortorella's own stubborness is what will ultimately cost this team.

Yeah obviously we're not exactly an offensive powerhouse, but some of these lines hes assembling are just retarded.
I agree with this, and I don't think he's a bad coach. He has taken us farther than I ever expected to go this season and his style does get the most mileage out of a team that now has high expectations, but coming into the season, was barely expected to be a 6-8 seed. I just think he's struggles to adapt and that sometimes his "principals" regarding earning ice time get in the way of doing what will give the team the greatest chance to win. We're not going to tie the game with Prust and Fedetenko on late in the game. Even if Stepan or Kreider or Gaborik hasn't "earned" more minutes. Sometimes, you just need to keep playing your offensive guys and hope they get something going. And no, I'm not saying to sacrifice the team defense mentality, just agreeing with the original sentiment that his line combos are often a detriment to an overall solid game plan (or it has been so far).

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:23 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
1 goal, 7 assists, 8 points (third on the team).

Stepped up big time in games 5-7 against Ottawa, best player on the team. Has points in 4 of the 6 games this series...
Means ZERO if he doesn't show up in game 7 Saturday.

...And where was he in game 6? His touch pass to Girardi in the final seconds wasn't anything spectacular. Richards won the draw, he deserves an assist probably more then Stepan does on that play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Yet Torts plays him on the 3rd line. Unbelievable. Stepan needs more minutes.
I don't believe there's a formal 2nd and 3rd line. Though the AA, Boyle, Callahan line has had some of the best offensive play yet and you can't blame the coach for playing them more.

I would say that I'd like to see Stepan on the 1st line with Gabby and Richards for a different look. And I don't care who centers the 3rd and 4th lines because those two are going to play most of the game.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik dominated game 5. Virtually the entire Caps defensive gameplan was to stop them. And you know what? It worked.

If the secondary guys dont step up, it will probably work again on Saturday.

I dont care what the else Tortorella tries, but Stepan needs to play 2C minutes.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik dominated game 5. Virtually the entire Caps defensive gameplan was to stop them. And you know what? It worked.

If the secondary guys dont step up, it will probably work again on Saturday.

I dont care what the else Tortorella tries, but Stepan needs to play 2C minutes.
if he played kreider/stepan/callahan then their d would not have kept up with both lines. mistake on the coaching staff. hopefully we see them again.

i understand splitting talent against teams with a lot of defensive depth (ie next series), but against wash they just don't have the defense to hold off two solid top lines. only makes sense to throw out kreider/stepan/callahan(or even anisimov). they worked against ottawa. no reason to think they won't now

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Rangers1985

So we're hoping for

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Fedotenko

correct?

Old
05-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post
So we're hoping for

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Mitchell-Fedotenko

correct?
Id play Anisimov on the left with Stepan at the start. If it doesnt work, go to Kreider, depending on matchups.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:24 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

1 goal in 13 p/o games ain't cutting it.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
This series, Step has been playing similar to Gaborik imo. Quietly and in the right spot at the right time and putting numbers in the stat sheet.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Rangers1985

He hasnt been playing necessarily bad, hes been producing, we just need goals.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:55 PM
mug25

Step isn't a superstar. I'd say he's producing fairly well for a 2nd year Center....

...especially for getting stuck with offensively-gifted talent like Prust and Feds.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

step is basically richards with a mediocore shot and a more developed defensive game(due to his size maybe). he can't solo a line. he needs skilled guys to bring out his skill.

that's why step was so much better looking with gaborik and kreider.
that's why richards was so much better looking with gaborik.
that's why kreider has not looked as good the past few games (albeit he brought a lot out in rupp/mitchell imo). it's also why gaborik didn't really look great last season.

being that richards has a great shot he looked decent with callahan---and callahan was decent enough to finish, but you really saw richards excel with gaborik.

either way-- if you put skilled guys by themselves on a line with grinders, they're not going to produce the numbers that they are capable of.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
step is basically richards with a mediocore shot and a more developed defensive game(due to his size maybe). he can't solo a line. he needs skilled guys to bring out his skill.

that's why step was so much better looking with gaborik and kreider.
that's why richards was so much better looking with gaborik.
that's why kreider has not looked as good the past few games (albeit he brought a lot out in rupp/mitchell imo). it's also why gaborik didn't really look great last season.

being that richards has a great shot he looked decent with callahan---and callahan was decent enough to finish, but you really saw richards excel with gaborik.

either way-- if you put skilled guys by themselves on a line with grinders, they're not going to produce the numbers that they are capable of.
Would you stop talking sense with that avatar? It's confusing me.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Stepan is 21 years old. He has 96 points in his 1st two years. NHL centers are hard to find. People need to be patient with him. You won't find many players with 96 points as a 21 year old out of college. He doesn't turn 22 until mid June. Stepan is still a very young guy. Where are the Rangers finding a better 2nd line center? At his salary. At his age.

This idiot Steve Simmons. I saw where Simmons sort of backed off on twitter from what he wrote when challenged by some Ranger fans. He tweeted the Rangers and Columbus discussed Stepan. They discussed all of the Rangers young players.

Quote:
In this series, Carl Hagelin has played on the same line with Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik, a choice position with the Rangers. Hagelin has no points in six games against Washington. Brian Boyle, a surprising fixture in Round 1 until he was hurt, has no goals in the series. Rangers captain Ryan Callahan has one. Derek Stepan, one of the players the Rangers offered to Columbus, has no goals in the series.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/10...nce-to-rangers

The Rangers offered Dubinsky,Erixon,Miller,Thomas and #1 for Nash

They wanted Dubinsky,Kreider,Stepan or Hagelin,McDonagh or DZ plus a #1 pick for Nash

3 NHL roster players,top prospect and #1 pick

The Rangers established parameters for what they are willing to give up in the Ryan discussions

Quote:
The source told The Post that if the Ducks later this season seek a bounty for the 24-year-old power winger including two prime players off the NHL roster, a prospect and a draft choice, then the Rangers will not be acquiring him.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1uYmNvybO

You look at what the Rangers offered for Nash,it fits their parameters. 1 prime NHL roster player. The Rangers made their best offer for Nash. Dubinsky,3 #1 picks and Thomas.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:13 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
1 goal in 13 p/o games ain't cutting it.
Stepan is a playmaker. He has 7 assists which is the most on the team. He's doing fine in that respect.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Stepan needs to be better if we want to win it all, however, all things considered, im happy with his play. i cant state this enough times...the Rangers are the 4th youngest team in the NHL....if we win this year, awesome, if not, our team will be deadly going forward as they mature.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
mug25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Stepan needs to be better if we want to win it all, however, all things considered, im happy with his play. i cant state this enough times...the Rangers are the 4th youngest team in the NHL....if we win this year, awesome, if not, our team will be deadly going forward as they mature.
Stepan. Callahan. Gaborik. Hagelin. Richards and the entire TEAM needs to be better if they want to win it all.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote