HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you take Carle back?

View Poll Results: Would you like to re-sign carle?
Yes 38 23.60%
No 123 76.40%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
He was a good player. He just sucked really bad at the end.
Therien was good against Jagr and horrible at all times against every other player in the league IMO. He was the Flyers that would just never go away. I actually really like him as a commentator though.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Justified
Amaro out

i hope he doesnt take a hometown discount, I just would like him to be gone.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:43 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
i hope he doesnt take a hometown discount, I just would like him to be gone.
same. I'd take him back on a 1 yr deal if we are out of better options. I just don't want to tie big money and years into him.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:44 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
he was the only guy I could remember that would make Jagr his *****

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Dleed and bsh both leading the way saying carle and suter are the exact same players, skill wise and play wise. Just gonna say if you cant see the difference between the two one really needs to pay more attention. Ill give leed a pass though since his favorite player is carle so he is obviously biased

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Dleed and bsh both leading the way saying carle and suter are the exact same players, skill wise and play wise. Just gonna say if you cant see the difference between the two one really needs to pay more attention. Ill give leed a pass though since his favorite player is carle so he is obviously biased
if they are the same player then lets just trade for each strait up..

fair to everyone.. hahahah

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:39 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

We need a complete overhaul on defense. Definitely need a right handed shot. Don't want Carle back.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...__future_.html

Quote:
Carle was not available for comment on Thursday. Since negotiations have already taken place, Holmgren said he believed a deal could be worked out "quickly."

"I don't see any reason why we can't work out a deal," Holmgren said. "His demands, when I spoke with him and his agent, nothing was ever out of line. Could we get him under market value? I would say that we probably could. I don't see any issues there."

He also talked about tagging space being the biggest issue. Some people in this thread might need to think about accepting that it's more likely he stays than not. If I'm reading between the lines, it sounds like not only is it a priority, but it's pretty close to a done deal that he's signing a long-term contract.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:00 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...__future_.html

He also talked about tagging space being the biggest issue. Some people in this thread might need to think about accepting that it's more likely he stays than not. If I'm reading between the lines, it sounds like not only is it a priority, but it's pretty close to a done deal that he's signing a long-term contract.
ya, same thing happened with Leino

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:06 PM
kicksave27

At a reasonable salary maybe, but not the 5+ he'll probably get open market. I'd rather let him loose and try for suter.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:08 PM
DrHamburg

not as bad as people think. Although, I would take my chances letting him walk and spending the 4-5 mil on someone else.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I could be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember Holmgren being less committal to Leino.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I think one main difference is that they could afford to lose Leino while losing Carle will be tougher. They will be thin on puckmovers and the market is weak.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:28 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Yeah, he was a solid player for us for most of his career. We could have used someone like him this season.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:37 PM
2minutes4slashing

Absolutely not, wouldnt even think of bringing this guy back he's horrible , and anyone who actually wants him back obviously knows nothing about hockey.

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Although I have been a long time "supporter" of him earning his keep, his time here has passed.

The money he will require can be put to better use.
I would likely agree to this. People say he's soft, but I don't know if that's the right term. He isn't aggressive physically, but he really doesn't possess the tools to be at the NHL level. Kimmo doesn't either but he finds a way to get it done. If you play 22+ minutes for several years, and 82 games this last season, you're not soft. There's no way, you're playing through some **** along the way there...especially when you're leading your team in blocked shots (which doesn't even count the times he gets a blade on shots, which is very often).

Second, him getting beat all the time...when is this? Am I not watching the perfect selection of games to miss it?

He isn't a force in his zone, he's not dragging people into board battles and skating away with the puck, or clearing the crease, or any of the other assertive defensive plays you need to reduce the other teams time of possession. He's not big enough or fast enough. But he always stick his man, stays with pretty much everyone in spite of average foot speed, and gets a stick or leg or whatever in their way to break up their play. That's serviceable defense from your puck moving guys. There are not that many Prongers or Webers out there who can do it all, whether it is hit, block shots, win puck battles, clear creases and then also make brilliant offensive plays. There's just not.

The one beef I do have with him is not what he is only okay at (defense), but rather his decision making with the puck. Ugh, what is he looking at on some of those plays? I don't know. If you're going to have that many giveaways you need to be taking lots os risks creating tons of offense. Most of the time when he turns it over, Carle isn't taking his gambles and losing for the sake of offense, he's just ****ing up (a lot of the time in his own zone, no less).

I'm with a lot of people here. He's a good player, but the money he earns would likely be better spent elsewhere.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:45 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
I suspect that the thought of keeping Carle will please some Flyers fans, and displease others. He is a polarizing player. Personally, my view is that the grass often seems greener on the other side, especially where defensemen are concerned.

Carle is not an All-Star, but he's a reliable complimentary defenseman who can eat a lot of minutes on a contending team.

Every year, Carle will put up decent but not huge point totals. He'll sometimes turn over pucks at inopportune times, but he's not usually a liability in his end of the ice and is one of the team's better defensemen at triggering the breakout. He doesn't shoot hard from the point, but he will collect his 30-plus assists per season. He's also not a physical player, but the flip side of that is he's proven his durability.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...e-FAs/45/44383

I have to agree with him here. Only enough Flyers fans often seem to undervalue most of the players on the Flyers (particularly defenseman) and focus only on their faults. Other than #1 or 2 guys most of them have faults that would piss us off if we saw them every game. Crappy break out pass, no physical enough, not fast enough, etc. Only #1 have all those skills, and even some of the best defensmen of all time can't be all things (no one would ever describe Lidstrom as physical). Does Carle have his problems? Yes. But as a (likely) number 3/4 defenseman who is durable and can eat big minuets if needed he's much more valuable than many of you seem willing to acknowlage especially if he resigns below market value.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:51 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I think easily the best value he has right now is that he has only missed I think 2 regular season games in the past 3 years.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:31 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think easily the best value he has right now is that he has only missed I think 2 regular season games in the past 3 years.
Considering what usually happens to our defense that's a good skill.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:34 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Timonen is also worth his value for basically the same reason. He played for at least 2 or 3 seasons straight or something like that. He may be old, but he can take it.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:07 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Timonen is also worth his value for basically the same reason. He played for at least 2 or 3 seasons straight or something like that. He may be old, but he can take it.
Timonen has far more value that that. his down side is actually injury the past two year he got an injury around half way through the season he played through, but his play wasn't as good. When healthy Timonen is still a 1/2 defensman on most teams, plus he's a great presence in the locker room.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:29 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

I would only resign carle for tops 4 million, on the open market he can get close to 5

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:08 AM
KaraLupin
카라

If by sign, you mean sign-and-trade, hell yeah!

Gustafsson is ready to step in, we still have Kimmo for another year, jury still out on Bourdon for next season. Will probably get bottom 6 pairing.. Coburn, Grossmann are primarily defence... Mezzy is a nice 2-way guy,..

Seems what we need is an Offensive PMD with some decent defence. Wait a minute.......

I think we are looking at about 4M for Carle. Of course any team would pick Suter over Carle, but considering it's not guaranteed Suter would even consider us, it's best to sign Carle now (go look at the FA after Suter, ), and if the occasion arises we can acquire Suter, move Matt then..

Lavi is changing the system a bit next season, it's gonna make it a bit easier on our D, remember this also...

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
If by sign, you mean sign-and-trade, hell yeah!

Gustafsson is ready to step in, we still have Kimmo for another year, jury still out on Bourdon for next season. Will probably get bottom 6 pairing.. Coburn, Grossmann are primarily defence... Mezzy is a nice 2-way guy,..

Seems what we need is an Offensive PMD with some decent defence. Wait a minute.......

I think we are looking at about 4M for Carle. Of course any team would pick Suter over Carle, but considering it's not guaranteed Suter would even consider us, it's best to sign Carle now (go look at the FA after Suter, ), and if the occasion arises we can acquire Suter, move Matt then..

Lavi is changing the system a bit next season, it's gonna make it a bit easier on our D, remember this also...

Gus wouldn't replace Carle just yet and would need another couple more seasons under his belt to have a chance to get the minutes Carle gets. Kimmo is aging and would do well with reduced minutes. Coburn/Grossmann should get those tough minutes next season for sure. And Mez is a two way d-man? I didn't see him playing defense all season long as he was caught in the offensive zone it seemed half the time letting up those two on ones. If the cap goes up to 69 million it is possible to get both Suter and Carle here if we would trade Mez. A Suter/Carle top pairing looks like a pretty great pairing and then sign someone like Gill to put with Kimmo.

Lavy changing his system? I highly doubt that. He got owned in two straight playoffs with his system and didn't change it one bit. The only way he would change his system to be more defensively sound is to safe his job.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Gus wouldn't replace Carle just yet and would need another couple more seasons under his belt to have a chance to get the minutes Carle gets. Kimmo is aging and would do well with reduced minutes. Coburn/Grossmann should get those tough minutes next season for sure. And Mez is a two way d-man? I didn't see him playing defense all season long as he was caught in the offensive zone it seemed half the time letting up those two on ones. If the cap goes up to 69 million it is possible to get both Suter and Carle here if we would trade Mez. A Suter/Carle top pairing looks like a pretty great pairing and then sign someone like Gill to put with Kimmo.

Lavy changing his system? I highly doubt that. He got owned in two straight playoffs with his system and didn't change it one bit. The only way he would change his system to be more defensively sound is to safe his job.
Keeping a healthy Mez over Matt Carle is laughable. Lets face it Mez wasnt healthy for pretty much the entire year. At least i dont believe he was until he couldnt take the pain anymore and shut it down.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote