HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Lombardi talks Quick, Sutter and Kings' success

Old
05-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Fishhead

vCash: 500
Lombardi talks Quick, Sutter and Kings' success

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=631320

Another good article by Rosen. Some is recycled, but there is quite a bit of it that is new.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
First time I think I've heard him say something was his fault, very interesting interview.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
First time I think I've heard him say something was his fault, very interesting interview.
I think he's alluding to some of the mistakes he made when his coach was trying to fit a square into a round peg. They were trying to force Boyle to become a defenseman, they were trying to get Moulson to be a checker, and they were trying to make Purcell into a more aggressive forward. He mentions having to put players in a position to succeed, as in not having Dwight King in a scoring role and expecting him to score. He's learned from those mistakes.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think he's alluding to some of the mistakes he made when his coach was trying to fit a square into a round peg. They were trying to force Boyle to become a defenseman, they were trying to get Moulson to be a checker, and they were trying to make Purcell into a more aggressive forward. He mentions having to put players in a position to succeed, as in not having Dwight King in a scoring role and expecting him to score. He's learned from those mistakes.
Spot on as usual.

I think Stoll is another fine example. For three years the Kings tried to make him into a second line center, something he had no business being. Then for much of this year he was shuttled around from 2nd line RW to a defensive center role, something he also failed it. Sutter finally put him in what is now an energy role where he isn't expected to score and isn't matched up with other teams top lines, and for the first time as a King he looks like a quality player and looks comfortable out there.

I'm happy to see the Kings finally accepting guys like Carter and Voynov, not everyone is going to be a Selke winner or a physical defender, the best teams are the ones with good balance to the roster, and I think the Kings finally have that with this current roster.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Isn't he referring to "the beginning of the (meaning this) season...?" To me this means Moreau, Hunter, and moving Stoll around. Gagne's injury just made the soft spots more obvious. As the season progressed, it seemed clearer and clearer that Jack Johnson was never going to fit (or maybe adjust) to the Kings long term plans. JJ never seemed comfortable or happy with Murray's assignments within the Kings system. That turned into a great trade for both teams and players.

The rookies that are now playing important minutes - Nolan, King, Voynov - are all prime examples of patient and structured development. A lot of fans dismiss long development time in the minors and patience with Defensemen especially as "a franchise or draft pick / prospect failure" when it's really how great teams and franchises are built.

Last edited by Duc620: 05-11-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Regardless of what he means, I think it is the first time I've heard him say that something was his own fault. He would typically say that the players need to be better and adapt to live up to expectations, but this time around he praised the players and faulted himself for not fitting/slotting them correctly into the lineup.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
then you havent been lsitening

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:43 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Isn't he referring to "the beginning of the (meaning this) season...?" To me this means Moreau, Hunter, and moving Stoll around. Gagne's injury just made the soft spots more obvious. As the season progressed, it seemed clearer and clearer that Jack Johnson was never going to fit (or maybe adjust) to the Kings long term plans. JJ never seemed comfortable or happy with Murray's assignments within the Kings system. That turned into a great trade for both teams and players.

The rookies that are now playing important minutes - Nolan, King, Voynov - are all prime examples of patient and structured development. A lot of fans dismiss long development time in the minors and patience with Defensemen especially as "a franchise or draft pick / prospect failure" when it's really how great teams and franchises are built.
exactly. I don't know why people are looking to past years, he's clearly talking about this year. But I think he's mainly referring to Loktionov. Loktionov had put in his time, so DL's heart probably wanted him to have the first chance with the big club even though he didn't fit. It sucks for Lokti, he's just not fitting in well with the team.

And DL has taken personal blame for many things. He's actually taken more blame then any other GM i've ever seen. My memory is vague, I think he took the blame for hiring the wrong type of coach (Crawford), not putting the right players together, rushing too fast when assembling his front office staff after getting hired, not handling the Doughty contract properly, not handling Frolov better with Kovalchuk situation, etc. He always says he should have done things better (often times at the draft) and has given the line, "the buck stops here" a few times. So again I really have no idea what you guys are talking about.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Yeah he has blamed himself for Cloutier, throwing Bernier to the wolves amongst others. I haven't read the article yet but he has certainly admitted mistakes in the past. Maybe just not ones that fans have been vocal about.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Don't get me wrong, as a member of the apologist party, I am not criticizing Dean. It is just the first time I can recall him saying that the team not meeting expectations was explicitly his fault. Perhaps you can provide me with a link or quote that says otherwise, but typically he will always say that the expectations always lies with the players and defends his coaches, staff, and himself. This is the first time I can recall where it is the other way around, where he defends his players and is critical of his staff and himself instead during a end of season interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yeah he has blamed himself for Cloutier, throwing Bernier to the wolves amongst others. I haven't read the article yet but he has certainly admitted mistakes in the past. Maybe just not ones that fans have been vocal about.
You are taking it too literally, I just never heard him come out and say it was entirely his fault and the player is withheld from blame. I suppose Bernier fits under that category, but Lombardi placed a lot of the blame squarely on the head of Cloutier himself. That didn't end well.

Typically, always during an end of the season interview, Dean always talks about the players taking the next step in order to meet expectations and that the coaches are on par, but this time the Kings were fine and the coaches and management were not on par. Obviously the players need to keep going and building, but it is the first time he didn't use it as his mantra.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Seriously? You need to pay more attention then.

Quote:
You are taking it too literally, I just never heard him come out and say it was entirely his fault and the player is withheld from blame. I suppose Bernier fits under that category, but Lombardi placed a lot of the blame squarely on the head of Cloutier himself. That didn't end well.

Typically, always during an end of the season interview, Dean always talks about the players taking the next step in order to meet expectations and that the coaches are on par, but this time the Kings were fine and the coaches and management were not on par. Obviously the players need to keep going and building, but it is the first time he didn't use it as his mantra.
EDIT: Sorry, I should have read further before replying. Most of the time the players do bear a large part of the responsibility as they should.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
... But I think he's mainly referring to Loktionov. Loktionov had put in his time, so DL's heart probably wanted him to have the first chance with the big club even though he didn't fit. It sucks for Lokti, he's just not fitting in well with the team....
Give him more time.... he'll probably be in his mid twenties before he becomes a real impact player.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Give him more time.... he'll probably be in his mid twenties before he becomes a real impact player.
I agree. I think the kid can be a slick playmaker as the #3 center someday. He has to play in the middle of the ice to be effective though, not along the boards.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
You are taking it too literally
Well, excuuuuuse me! You said it was the first time you've heard him say that something was his fault. I'm not sure what else I should have read into that comment but I do apologize for assuming that is exactly what you meant when that is all you wrote.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

All stuff we have heard before or heard before with slightly different wording but considering the audience I think Dan Rosen did a great job. It's a much broader readership than just LA.

Good Q&A that recaps a good amount info over a decent amount of time in a relatively small space.

05-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Well, excuuuuuse me! You said it was the first time you've heard him say that something was his fault. I'm not sure what else I should have read into that comment but I do apologize for assuming that is exactly what you meant when that is all you wrote.
Well at least you know better now.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I agree. I think the kid can be a slick playmaker as the #3 center someday. He has to play in the middle of the ice to be effective though, not along the boards.
Good point... his stick skills also work for defense and he's getting stronger on back checks. He'll grow under Sutter's methods. He'll learn to let the big guy on his line hit and pin the puck carrier and then he can come in to strip the puck.

It's going to be funny to see what happens when he starts getting some shots to go in. He could really come alive because he thinks the game pretty fast - made some amazing passes this year. Real top line thinking - one or two steps ahead of everyone on ice. Surprised his linemates a couple of times.

Last edited by Duc620: 05-11-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old
05-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Well at least you know better now.
Are you calling me stupid? Just reading into this one line. Can you elaborate on that?

Old
05-11-2012, 09:14 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Good point... his stick skills also work for defense and he's getting stronger on back checks. He'll grow under Sutter's methods. He'll learn to let the big guy on his line hit and pin the puck carrier and then he can come in to strip the puck.

It's going to be funny to see what happens when he starts getting some shots to go in. He could really come alive because he thinks the game pretty fast - made some amazing passes this year. Real top line thinking - one or two steps ahead of everyone on ice. Surprised his linemates a couple of times.
I'm just spitballing here, but I think Lokitionov and Nolan would be a good match down the line. Nolan is a big man that has good speed, a good shot, and nice touch on his passes. Both seem to have a lot of hockey sense as well.