HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL attendence up 4.8%

Old
05-01-2012, 04:28 PM

vCash: 500
AHL attendence up 4.8%

This is, of course, based on tickets distributed/sold/etc and not turnstile counts...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D.../AHL-gate.aspx

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
adsfan

Thanks 210. I am surprised that Hans didn't post that first. I think the gain comes from losing some weeknight games. I think that helped Milwaukee. Rochester had a better affiliate, that could be the reason why they did okay this season.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:42 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Thanks 210. I am surprised that Hans didn't post that first. I think the gain comes from losing some weeknight games. I think that helped Milwaukee. Rochester had a better affiliate, that could be the reason why they did okay this season.
To be honest, this year, once the NHL playoffs started, I kinda forgot that there was still a week to go in the AHL regular season, so I haven't gotten the season-ending numbers together yet, much less updated the "Top 30" thread.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
To be honest, this year, once the NHL playoffs started, I kinda forgot that there was still a week to go in the AHL regular season, so I haven't gotten the season-ending numbers together yet, much less updated the "Top 30" thread.
That's it. No pay for you this week from any of us since you did not properly do your job. I further nominate Hutch and Axe to jointly take over the responsibility until such time as you have learned your lesson.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:59 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
That rebranding for Connecticut sure did pay off, huh?

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Tommy Hawk

Good to see SA, Houston, and LE climb up. I guess the affiliation in Rochester did matter, that and a new owner.....

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
That rebranding for Connecticut sure did pay off, huh?
The issue there is the huge crowd from the outdoor game last season skews their total...I'd be interested in what their number is excluding that game.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:35 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
the issue there is the huge crowd from the outdoor game last season skews their total...i'd be interested in what their number is excluding that game.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 03:20 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Geeze, that's pretty worthless if they include the outdoor game as part of that, as that's obviously inflating the numbers.

But still, if 5,285 is the correct figure, that still is a sizable dip.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Rumblick

Adirondack "increased" by a touch over 1,050 per game, which sounds good until you remember their outdoor game. I took that number out, and the Philly game from the 2010-11 season, and their "in-town" increase was a shade over 300 fans per game. Still an increase, but it shows how the numbers can be played with by the neutral site concept.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Arnold S
From Turtle Creek

What is with some of the horrifyingly small crowds for playoff games across the AHL?

Arnold S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:55 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASlick11 View Post
What is with some of the horrifyingly small crowds for playoff games across the AHL?
Not just the AHL. Playoffs are ALWAYS a hard sell in minor-league hockey (with some minor exceptions) -- because the group sales are far less likely to come through on the short notice and odd nights that playoff games are held. The walk-up is less, more games are on weeknights, etc etc... playoffs are a hard sell at the minor pro level.

Back in the late 90s (IIRC), a team (ECHL Tallahassee?) near the end of the regular season actually turned THEMSELVES in for salary cap violations, knowing that they'd be penalized enough points in the standings to take them out of the playoffs, so they wouldn't have to lose the money they would have had they qualified.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:58 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Not just the AHL. Playoffs are ALWAYS a hard sell in minor-league hockey (with some minor exceptions) -- because the group sales are far less likely to come through on the short notice and odd nights that playoff games are held. The walk-up is less, more games are on weeknights, etc etc... playoffs are a hard sell at the minor pro level.

Back in the late 90s (IIRC), a team (ECHL Tallahassee?) near the end of the regular season actually turned THEMSELVES in for salary cap violations, knowing that they'd be penalized enough points in the standings to take them out of the playoffs, so they wouldn't have to lose the money they would have had they qualified.

Happily I live in one of those minor exceptions!!!!!

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:58 AM
fordaith

Surprisingly, Norfolk is on par with regular season attendance. Averaged 5116 during the regular campaign, and 5082 in the playoffs, and they have definitel been a loud 5100.....

fordaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:08 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordaith View Post
Surprisingly, Norfolk is on par with regular season attendance. Averaged 5116 during the regular campaign, and 5082 in the playoffs, and they have definitel been a loud 5100.....
Go Admirals!

Old
05-12-2012, 10:48 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Go Admirals!
I am glad those boys are playing in a crowded barn. All of the players deserve it.

I hope our team can give Norfolk a challenge

Old
05-13-2012, 02:05 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordaith View Post
I think the winning streak and the momentum and publicity it built might be a nice contributor to that -- but yes, it's nice to see that playing out!

Old
05-13-2012, 06:23 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I am glad those boys are playing in a crowded barn. All of the players deserve it.

I hope our team can give Norfolk a challenge
I am really a Milwaukee Admirals fan, but their season is over.

I think it is great that your city has a team in the AHL again.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:01 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
I am really a Milwaukee Admirals fan, but their season is over.

I think it is great that your city has a team in the AHL again.
I thought that was the case when I posted last night but wasn't sure. Sorry about that

Old
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Baronsfan

I live in a city that the playoff dates hurt big time. In Oklahoma City, you can't expect a weekday game to draw anymore than 2,000-2,500 in the playoffs with nothing extra promotional wise going on. Unfortunately here, AHL playoffs are right as the NBA playoffs are gaining momentum. The Barons play right across the street as the Thunder. A lot of the problems for OKC hockey attendance is that they have to compete directly with the NBA, whereas other teams that share a barn with the NBA never play on the same night.

It would be a lot better if the NBA team sucked, but unfortunately the NBA team is arguably the most exciting team to watch, and probably the favorites to come out of the West and play the Heat in the finals. College football, and Thunder basketball are the supremacy here, so it's an uphill climb for the Barons to try and build a market by just being an "alternative". Time will tell if the club can build a fan base, but a deep playoff run like they are experiencing now could do wonders, lets hope.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:16 PM
MrMariusz

It's sad that one of the strongest teams in AHL (OKC) draws such small crowds. I've watched some of their playoff games, and even in crucial, series-ending games, the crowds were outright pathetic.
I don't think the franchise will survive much longer in such conditions.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASlick11 View Post
We are showing the rest of the AHL how it's done. Hard to find a better crowd anywhere else in pro hockey right now. Mile One is always rockin' !! Go Caps Go!

Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:59 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Not surprised - Lake Erie Monsters games seemed fuller this year than in the past.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMariusz View Post
It's sad that one of the strongest teams in AHL (OKC) draws such small crowds. I've watched some of their playoff games, and even in crucial, series-ending games, the crowds were outright pathetic.
I don't think the franchise will survive much longer in such conditions.
To be fair the only game they had a chance to close it out at home was the game in Houston that they drew a sparse 2,000, and that was a game when the Thunder playoff game conflicted. The Thunder will sell out, and have about 10,000 people watching out side on a jumbotron, so on those nights it's a given that they will be well below the average.

Other than that, I agree. The Barons organization has proven that they are inept to sell tickets. Some of the more expensive tickets in the league, and very few promotions doesn't help their case.

The regular season totals are fine. They knew they wouldn't draw a lot since they give away no more comps like the old Blazers used to, so they set their goal at 4,000. They had like 4,100 last season and this season they were around 3,800 give or take. If they average within that range they won't lose money, but in the playoffs where it's hard to draw a crowd is where they will lose money. If Abbotsford, Springfield, and Albany are still staying afloat though that is positive news for OKC, as they aren't nearly as bad as those organizations.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:57 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

Yup.

The playoffs 95% of the time aren't a money maker.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote