Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Stoner extended, 2 years x $1.05M

Old
05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Coliacovo is just as fragile as Stoner, if not more so...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Yea. But consistently playing 64+ games. Not great, but hes a solid player with experience. If the price is right I'd think the Wild pull the trigger.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
I like this signing. Just wish he could stay healthy.

Re: Stoner's consistency:

He has games where he's our best defensive defenseman. That's great for a 6-7 D-man getting paid 1M per season. However, that's not saying much when our defense is as flimsy as wet cardboard.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

I'm happy with this one, depth move for the next 2 years.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
What's reliable about a guy with his injury history?

I've got nothing against Stoner, as long as he's a 6/7 guy, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here...

Stoner likely knows that his tendency for injury would've left him with few one-way deal options. It made a lot more sense for him to accept a reasonable deal with a team that's defense was already a mess. If he gets a short-term injury, he's that much more likely to come back as an injury fill-in when he's back healthy.
I figured someone would call me on that, but what I meant was that if he's playing, you can rely on him. No surprises, not a lot of gaffes, etc.

And honestly missing 56 games in 2 seasons is practically a beacon of health by this organization's standards...

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Coliacovo is just as fragile as Stoner, if not more so...
Significantly less fragile. The last time Stoner played 60 games was with Houston in 08-09. The last time Colaiacovo played fewer than 60 games was 07-08. Stoner misses an average of 28 games a season (in the NHL). Colaiacovo misses an average of 15 per season (over the past 4 seasons).

But it's still a valid point. However, I'd rather have 67 games of Colaiacovo than 82 of Campoli or Zanon. Considering the market this year, he's one of the best options. Besides, with the number of borderline 3rd pairing guys we have, the injury games will give them a shot to try prove themselves.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:19 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

my wife would flip if we got Colaiacovo. Don't remember which year it was but I had him on my EA nhl roster and for whatever reason he had the puck a lot so the announcers kept saying his name. Drove her nuts.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Taylor26

stoner

a need at a guy with toughness who can fight. I was actually wondering about this myself last night. I said too myself on defense who can set a phyisical tone....? if it was
Gilbert, Scandella, Spergy, Kamhper and prosser maybe cuma as all we have on the blue line with the possibilty of brodin coming over we still need some grit.
I thought maybe we would bring back Faulk or stoner for that matter
I guess its stoner.

Last edited by Taylor26: 05-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Taylor26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor26 View Post
a need at a guy with toughness who can fight.
except he gets injured every other time he fights from what i can remember. he isn't going to be in the lineup long if he fights; I'd settle for a guy who can keep the Holmstroms of the world from sitting on Backstrom all game.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:39 PM
saywut

Makes sense to bring back a depth guy aside from targeting one in free agency. We really lack experience and depth back there still. Kampfer can remain in Houston as the #8/9, depending on if we elect to carry 8 or Brodin pushes us to 8. Obviously still need another d-man back there, preferably a decent one considering Stoner is a top-4 guy in our current group, as he was down the stretch last season playing with Gilbert.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

I thought Kampfer looked really good. I'd rather have him playing for the Wild than Falk - or Prosser, for that matter. Too bad we didn't sign Prosser to a two-way.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

This should probably go in the free agency thread, but what do people think of Barrett Jackman if he gets to free agency?

Seems like a guy who isn't getting a lot of attention, but could bring a lot of stay-at-home stability to us, if he's ever available.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:21 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I thought Kampfer looked really good. I'd rather have him playing for the Wild than Falk - or Prosser, for that matter. Too bad we didn't sign Prosser to a two-way.
Kampfer is still waiver exempt. From what I've seen, I'd rather see him getting good minutes in Houston with all our shiny new prospects until the inevitable injuries start to hit St. Paul.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:33 PM
LemaireisGOD

My take...

http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/201...extension.html

What should Wild fans take from news of Clayton Stoner's 2-year contract extension

Written by Derek Felska | 10 May 2012

Reading between the lines can be a skill that can be both a blessing and a curse. It can make someone be extra perceptive, almost like a lesser version of Spider Man's 'spider-sense' that allows a person to see beyond the obvious and an anticipate future events or find the underlying motive of an action. Or it can make someone immensely paranoid and neurotic where they read far too much into even the slightest moves that causes them to look foolish. If you're good at reading between the lines you're considered to be very perceptive, a trait people usually look upon favorably, but if you're not as good as it you're pushed into a group of conspiracy theorists and wackjobs. I don't mind a good conspiracy theory every now and then, as its often a fresh look at the facts but there is a fine line between a plausible motive and ones that are truly out there and bizarre. Perspectives are what the blogging universe and the rest of the journalist world are all about. Through our own lens of what we believe and do not, we tune out certain writers while others we take a lot of stock in their opinions and perceptions since they often match our own 'gut' feelings. So the news the Wild signed defenseman Clayton Stoner to a 2-year contract that will pay him $1.05 million per season, what underlying message should that give fans across the State of Hockey?

Maybe we could use a little help from a medium to know what to expect from this. I am going to date myself a bit, but I remember watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and by far my favorite portion was his attempt to predict the contents of an envelope as Carnac the Magnificent. Carson's ability to deadpan as well as his quick mind made the skit hilarious even if sometimes it didn't always make a lot of sense. So without having to read the tea leaves or check my horoscope how should Wild fans read into Clayton Stoner's 2-year extension? (click on the link for the rest of the article)

Just some food for thought about the Stoner signing and what it means for the direction of the club this summer. Enjoy!

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/201...extension.html

What should Wild fans take from news of Clayton Stoner's 2-year contract extension

Written by Derek Felska | 10 May 2012

Reading between the lines can be a skill that can be both a blessing and a curse. It can make someone be extra perceptive, almost like a lesser version of Spider Man's 'spider-sense' that allows a person to see beyond the obvious and an anticipate future events or find the underlying motive of an action. Or it can make someone immensely paranoid and neurotic where they read far too much into even the slightest moves that causes them to look foolish. If you're good at reading between the lines you're considered to be very perceptive, a trait people usually look upon favorably, but if you're not as good as it you're pushed into a group of conspiracy theorists and wackjobs. I don't mind a good conspiracy theory every now and then, as its often a fresh look at the facts but there is a fine line between a plausible motive and ones that are truly out there and bizarre. Perspectives are what the blogging universe and the rest of the journalist world are all about. Through our own lens of what we believe and do not, we tune out certain writers while others we take a lot of stock in their opinions and perceptions since they often match our own 'gut' feelings. So the news the Wild signed defenseman Clayton Stoner to a 2-year contract that will pay him $1.05 million per season, what underlying message should that give fans across the State of Hockey?

Maybe we could use a little help from a medium to know what to expect from this. I am going to date myself a bit, but I remember watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and by far my favorite portion was his attempt to predict the contents of an envelope as Carnac the Magnificent. Carson's ability to deadpan as well as his quick mind made the skit hilarious even if sometimes it didn't always make a lot of sense. So without having to read the tea leaves or check my horoscope how should Wild fans read into Clayton Stoner's 2-year extension? (click on the link for the rest of the article)

Just some food for thought about the Stoner signing and what it means for the direction of the club this summer. Enjoy!

I think the Stone re-signing makes them going after Suter hard more likely. It puts the Wild in a position where they really only need to add 1 more defenseman.

FA - Gilbert
Scandella - Spurgeon
Stoner - Brodin/prosser/falk

In this scenario Brodin likely starts his Wild career in the AHL first on the callup list. I don't think it's out of the question that Brodin could begin the year as a top 4 defenseman. If that were to happen, it's likely Falk is the odd man out, which is a shame.

Suter, Carle or Wideman would plug in to our top pairing and the Wild would have some respectable depth.

I think Stoner could challenge for top 4 icetime on this roster. If he can stay healthy he has the size to be a defender that teams hate playing against.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Good signing. Without Stoner, the Wild blueline is the wimpiest in the NHL. He is the only D-man who consistently protected his goalies, cleared the crease and stood up for teammates. Plus he is pretty strong defensively. Sure not the fastest afoot, or a offensive threat, but that's what Gilbert & Spurgie are for.

I guarantee you the Wild goalies are VERY happy about this signing. And at such a reasonable contract, this still leaves the Wild plenty of space and options.

Last edited by Dampland: 05-11-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote