HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your opinion where are the Islanders in 2016?

Old
05-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Steve55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
In Nassau in a modestly refurbished Coliseum. Outside shot at Queens.
Chances are the Isles would need a new rink within 10 years of a moderately refurbished Coliseum. Translation: they're unlikely to accept that offer

https://twitter.com/#!/randimarshall...94707143798784

Hub and Coliseum and #Isles not mentioned at Reg Council mtg - which just finished.

2:08 PM - 2 May 12

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
You do realize that February 2013 is only 9 months from now right? No shot in hell anything gets approved in 9 months in Queens.

I don't understand why people can't grasp the fact that while the lease is up in 2015 the Isles can sign an extension with Nassau for a year or two if need be while a new arena is built there or somewhere else.

The key here is when a DECISION is made on the Isles...And I'm willing to bet no final final final decisions on where the Islanders will play next will be made until 2015.

Please keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times until the end of the ride....
I think it's safe to suggest Isles have had talks with Queens officials for awhile based on what Bettman said recently./ Thus, if the two sides agree (with partners) on terms in February 2013, it will be more than 9 months of dialogue between the two sides. Or both sides could come to an agreement in March 2013. Only time will tell.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Rangers fan here..but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. If the Islanders do move to Brooklyn eventually, what is everyone's thoughts on re-naming them the Americans? The name has some history to it. The last few years the original Americans were around, they went by the moniker of Brooklyn, although they never actually played there (just practiced there). Again, the name has history to it (even if it's not the Islanders), and it would probably gather the team a lot of attention reviving the old Brooklyn Americans name, and actually PLAYING in Brooklyn. Plus eventually a 3rd jersey honoring the original Amerks would probably be a BIG seller.

Just wanted to get some thoughts.
There is no way the Islanders ever would or should change their name to the Brooklyn Americans. The New York Islanders have a history that includes 40 years of hockey and the greatest American dynasty in the sport. The Brooklyn Americans have a history of a few practices in the borough of Brooklyn. The Islanders will not ever not be known as the New York Islanders.

However, I do agree with you that should they move to Brooklyn, a Brooklyn themed third jersey (be it a style that tributes the Americans, or an unrelated jersey with other nods to Brooklyn, maybe a Brooklyn Bridge logo, just thinking out loud) would be a smart marketing decision, and a massive seller among hockey fans and non hockey fans alike.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:01 AM
Symon Asher

10% Nassau
40% Brooklyn
50% Seatle/ Quebec

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:47 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
You need to take the regular seating capacity totally out of the equation. this isn't 1980 anymore. its all about corporate support. there will be 104 luxury suites and 3000 club seats. both will be more than any other arena out there including the new msg. the nets have already sold all these out. if the islanders do the same, there will be no need to fill the arena to 14,500 capacity because the average cost of a luxury suite in downtown brooklyn which is a few minutes from downtown manhattan will be in the $200,000 to $300,000 per suite range.

if pittsburgh is receiving anywhere between $100,000 to $150,000 for luxury suites at the consol energy center, there is no reason to believe that barclays won't get the $200,000 to $300,000 price tag.
Ok, gotcha. Isn't the price determined by the quality of the product? How much are the Nets selling their luxury boxes for? I just don't see people paying more than they do in Pittsburgh but I definitely see how your point on the luxury boxes trumping the lack of regular seating. Thanks for the info I really don't feel like having to read the whole Barclay forum, lol!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:49 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
There is no way the Islanders ever would or should change their name to the Brooklyn Americans. The New York Islanders have a history that includes 40 years of hockey and the greatest American dynasty in the sport. The Brooklyn Americans have a history of a few practices in the borough of Brooklyn. The Islanders will not ever not be known as the New York Islanders.

However, I do agree with you that should they move to Brooklyn, a Brooklyn themed third jersey (be it a style that tributes the Americans, or an unrelated jersey with other nods to Brooklyn, maybe a Brooklyn Bridge logo, just thinking out loud) would be a smart marketing decision, and a massive seller among hockey fans and non hockey fans alike.
Any third jersey would be better than the one we have now, lol!!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
I laugh everytime someone dismisses Barclay's because of the seating chart. I hope the powers that be have more foresight than that.
Laugh all you want. A ****ing horseshoe seating arrangement, while theoretically possible, is BEYOND embarrassing.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
The team isn't leaving the New York Area. Bettman would never allow it. You are 100% right about the Barclays Center. It cannot work. Queens looks like the most obvious solution
Why would Bettman not allow it? He has said time and time again the Isles won't play in that building past 2015. And if no building exists, where are they going to go? By 2015 Seattle, Quebec City and Kansas City (they do now) will have state of the art arenas looking for a full time tenant. Nostalgia and 4 cups 30 years ago only go so far. I wanted Queens from the outset but there is as much progress being made in Queens as there is in Nassau which pretty much equates to zero.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Laugh all you want. A ****ing horseshoe seating arrangement, while theoretically possible, is BEYOND embarrassing.
BEYOND embarrassing. Yes. The layout of the arena is BEYOND embarrassing. Surely free agents will now give the excuse "who wants to play home to a crowd sitting in a horse shoe?" What fan would go to a game in such a monstrosity, an affront, to hockey. Move it to Quebec or re-up with Nassau would be respectable, faith restoring moves.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
BEYOND embarrassing. Yes. The layout of the arena is BEYOND embarrassing. Surely free agents will now give the excuse "who wants to play home to a crowd sitting in a horse shoe?" What fan would go to a game in such a monstrosity, an affront, to hockey. Move it to Quebec or re-up with Nassau would be respectable, faith restoring moves.
Defend it all you want. And it is an affront to NHL hockey. The building was designed with one sport in mind, and that sport wasn't hockey. If it's the ONLY chance the team has of staying in the area then fine, we will deal with it. But excuse me for wanting something better. I know that isn't allowed in HFIslanderville. I will go sit in the corner now.

Old
05-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Isles Junkie

Brooklyn. Hopefully on a shorter term lease. Something like 10-15 years. This way they can still work on getting something done in Queens where the Isles belong.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:21 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Defend it all you want. And it is an affront to NHL hockey. The building was designed with one sport in mind, and that sport wasn't hockey. If it's the ONLY chance the team has of staying in the area then fine, we will deal with it. But excuse me for wanting something better. I know that isn't allowed in HFIslanderville. I will go sit in the corner now.
and you feel shame.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
It''s not half as embarrasing as what has happened on LI for the last 20 years. ((And what hasn't happened with no arena)

If you're in Barclay's and NYI wins an important game - dare I say playoff - you won't care at all about a horseshoe layout.

Brooklyn.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:25 AM
potvins4cups

There is no corporate support in nassau county so if wang were to ante up $350 million for a new arena that he doesn't even own, it is going to be hell trying to recover that amount in nassau county. the whole point of the lighthouse was to attract corporations to the area which would allow these corporations to ease the tax burden on nassau residents and the idiots in hempstead and nassau killed it. they killed a $3 billion dollar project that the morons in hempstead and nassau county would not have to put a dime towards.

this is why nassau is dead and this team will be gone from nassau very soon.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
It''s not half as embarrasing as what has happened on LI for the last 20 years. ((And what hasn't happened with no arena)

If you're in Barclay's and NYI wins an important game - dare I say playoff - you won't care at all about a horseshoe layout.

Brooklyn.
This I can not argue with one bit.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Why would Bettman not allow it? He has said time and time again the Isles won't play in that building past 2015. And if no building exists, where are they going to go? By 2015 Seattle, Quebec City and Kansas City (they do now) will have state of the art arenas looking for a full time tenant. Nostalgia and 4 cups 30 years ago only go so far. I wanted Queens from the outset but there is as much progress being made in Queens as there is in Nassau which pretty much equates to zero.
I think the WP project and an Islanders arena in Queens are two complementary issues at the most (i.e: one could be built without the other). Also who knows what's going on behind the scenes? At least there has been no barb wire publicly exchanged between Wang and Queens.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

Brooklyn.
Can't argue with your first point. True what has happened has been embarassing but two wrongs don't make a right. I hate the thought of that being a decision of free will and having to perpetuate it. The proverbial red headed step child (with all due apologies to anyone redheaded or a stepchild.) Yes as a last option, no otherwise.

All I want for Christmas is $1B so I can buy the team, build an arena and almost afford to put my kids through college.

I would be happy with a playoff win in Brooklyn, Nassau, Queens, or anywhere local.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:47 PM
jdr016

Brooklyn and owned by Mikhail Prokhorov

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:02 AM
FishermanFan

My honest thought,

The Islanders screw up almost every corporate decision they ever have to make. If moving to Brooklyn is a "mistake" in most peoples eyes, we'll most likely end up there.

Not that that's a bad thing, I'm actually a supporter of it. Moving the Isles into the city, but close enough to Long Island is a great move. Great for attendance, great for expanding the fan base.

+1 Barclay's Center

FishermanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:42 PM
On Edge

I am so disgusted by the TOH and Nassau County it makes my head spin. How do you turn what should be an asset (an opportunity for a first class convention center - a "destination" - an NHL franchise as a tenant...missed opportunity to get Nets back perhaps) into a complete cluster ****. Stupidity and shortsightedness is just unbelievable.

I keep coming back and reading this thread...and change my mind all the time but I never seem to come to a good conclusion.

Nassau is finished in my mind and I will have to get used to the idea. I also just don't see Queens ever happening but - and wish it did.

My thoughts as of right now...
40 pct Brooklyn
60 pct out of NY area

I hope I am wrong but I've had so many hopes for this franchise and had my heart crushed over the past 20 + years. Just have the bad feeling they'll be gone.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Hipster Doofus

75% Brooklyn
15%Queens
8% Nassau
2% Out of NY

Nassau isn't dead till Dec 31st so I give them a slight chance. And out of NY is very slim but I guess technically possible. Queens could happen but its been way too quiet. Brooklyn is the obvious easy choice but until its official can't 100%. But its till extremely likely and overall I really don't see them leaving the area.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Brunomics

I'll take the Brooklyn horseshoe over Nassau every day of the week and twice on Sundays even though that would probably double my commute time to the Coliseum(I'm in Bellport). Nothing will ever happen for them in Nassau.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:32 AM
steev182

Aqueduct raceway please! Just because I live near there...

More likely Barclays for a while, but I don't like the idea of how it'd be seated or the motives of the ownership there. Probably end up being rebranded by Jay-Z to be the Brooklyn Slashers or some crap.

Hopefully there will be a new arena at Willets Point or even a new one at Nassau, I just don't see it happening. I do hate that there's no public transport to the Coliseum, it makes getting to games after work a hassle, at least Willets Point is made for high volumes of people and has parking there. World Ice might need to change their Future Rangers program to Future Islanders though

I don't know though. I love that I can get cheaper (and better) tickets to Islanders games than Rangers games, and that's really what made me an Islanders fan... That and the near comeback against the Flyers, the Coliseum was so loud for 8 minutes...

steev182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quebec City

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin 36 View Post
Quebec City
The Coyotes or Blue jackets may have something to say about that.