HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov Regret Leaving Phoenix?

Old
05-12-2012, 01:08 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I hope you just forgot to put the after your statement, otherwise you are very misinformed.
Misinformed about what??

Could very well be you don't know what I know.

Which wouldn't be a first.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:31 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
It is included. Look at Brad Richards and Christian Ehrhoff signing bonuses on capgeek for similar big signing bonuses.

If you're still not sure add up the NHL salaries on Bryz' contract and divide by the # of years, it will match his cap hit. Another indicator: the maximum compensation a player can receive in a year is 20% of the salary cap. $15m would be more than 20% of the $64.3m cap.
I stand corrected. CapGeek numbers are wrong, and so are a lot of current reports of Bryzgalov's compensation this season.

The original news coverage indeed mentions $ 5M in bonuses and $ 5 M in salary:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369799

A bargain!

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:25 AM
MIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
It's basic math....

Bryz + Sean Burke = $51 million goalie

Bryz - Sean Burke = AHL
Bryz - Sean Burke - Dave Tippett = KHL

MIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:51 AM
TimeParadox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
Bryz - Sean Burke - Dave Tippett = KHL
And fly with Tupolev ?

TimeParadox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:20 AM

I think some of these equations are a bit silly. Bryz is still a NHL caliber goalie, but he just might not be as good as he looked in Tips system and Burke might have really helped his game.

Also, it's completely conjecture that Bryz regrets leaving here, nothing of that sorts was suggested in the article.

This thread wreaks of bitter ex-girlfriend...

I can't say I am surprised that he's had a harder time in Philly. I think just about anyone would have a hard time in Philly, even if they were Patrick Roy, Dominick Hasek or Martin Brodeur. They have been pretty impatient with their goaltenders, and they are always on the market to buy one. Their real goal should be to develop one like Bob or someone else.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:43 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

GM disappointed by Ilya Bryzgalov
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/79...h-expectations

Quote:
"His job is to stop pucks and help us win games," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. "It's not Comedy Central."
Quote:
Holmgren said he expected more out of Bryzgalov next season.

"Did he play as good as I expected this year," Holmgren asked. "I'd probably say, no."

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:55 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
I stand corrected. CapGeek numbers are wrong, and so are a lot of current reports of Bryzgalov's compensation this season.

The original news coverage indeed mentions $ 5M in bonuses and $ 5 M in salary:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369799

A bargain!
It's not so much that the capgeek numbers are wrong, it's more in the definitions of the terms. The CBA says in most places to treat signing, roster and reporting bonuses as if they were NHL salary.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:01 PM
lespaul89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I think some of these equations are a bit silly. Bryz is still a NHL caliber goalie, but he just might not be as good as he looked in Tips system and Burke might have really helped his game.

Also, it's completely conjecture that Bryz regrets leaving here, nothing of that sorts was suggested in the article.

I can't say I am surprised that he's had a harder time in Philly. I think just about anyone would have a hard time in Philly, even if they were Patrick Roy, Dominick Hasek or Martin Brodeur. They have been pretty impatient with their goaltenders, and they are always on the market to buy one. Their real goal should be to develop one like Bob or someone else.
I don't think a girlfriend is ever bitter about a past lover when they are going out with Ryan Gosling.

Just saying.

lespaul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:56 PM
MIG

Quote:
I think some of these equations are a bit silly. Bryz is still a NHL caliber goalie.
Then he should prove it! Playoff numbers the last three years are atrocious.

MIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
Then he should prove it! Playoff numbers the last three years are atrocious.
Bryz was probably the best flyer in the second round.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:09 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:

I think just about every goalie in the NHL would look better in our system. I don't agree with your "bitter" assessment. Most of us just feel better about not signing him now. It looks like a great decision by Maloney. I still follow the Bryz story because like his game on the ice or not, the guy is entertaining. His quotes are funny and I like to laugh. Since he's not a Coyote any more, I care very little about his performance.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:13 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
Bryz was probably the best flyer in the second round.
Plausible. Bryzgalov isn't as good as his contract suggests, and it's pretty clear by now that his numbers in Phoenix had a lot to do with Tippett and Burke. And certainly the ambiance in Philadelphia did him no favors. Still, he's a good goalie when you get down to it. His problems this year were almost entirely mental.

At any rate, Paul Holmgren should probably pipe down on the subject. Nobody forced him to sign Bryzgalov to that ridiculous contract, and it isn't Bryzgalov's fault if Holmgren now feels a little buyer's remorse. He deserves no sympathy.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:40 AM
tuxonpups

Sympathy? The team that let Bryzgalov go is playing the team that acquired both of the flyer's cast-off top line players for the Western Conference Final. Sympathy is probably not what Holmgren is going to be receiving from Philly fans for the remainder of his tenure.

tuxonpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:44 AM

I'm not saying that the majority of us are not happy that he was not resigned and are not happier that we got Mike Smith. Don't get me wrong. It's just funny to me that there is so much negativity surrounding Bryz after he left in reasonable circumstances.

My position is only slightly different than a vocal minority on here:
- Glad we didn't resign him to that contract
- Glad we got Mike Smith instead at a bargain
- Agree he benefited from Tips system and Burke's coaching
- Disagree that he's minor league fodder or should go to the KHL (unless it's to bury the contract).

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Jamieh

Last summer Bryz demanded that he be the highest paid goalie in the league and then he delivers the season he did!! He deserves all the crap that comes with it. We had a choice of 2 goalies last year. One claiming to be the best in the World and the other asking for a chance to prove he can be a good goalie. Thankfully we chose the second and Smith has proved to be a lot better than Bryz on the ice and in the room. I have very rarely in my life cheered against any player or team but openly rejoiced at every failure Bryz experienced!!!

Jamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:58 AM
PhoPhan

I feel as though a lot of those who can't get over the Bryzgalov thing seem to have forgotten about Tkachuk and Khabibulin and even Turris/Mueller/Wheeler.

Quietly leaving an unstable situation for a big payday and what was on paper a better team (in a tangible way -- how many of you picked the Coyotes to go farther than the Flyers this year as recently as a month ago, much less a year ago?) isn't the most noble thing in the world, but it's not exactly worthy of contempt.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:19 PM
BigGumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I feel as though a lot of those who can't get over the Bryzgalov thing seem to have forgotten about Tkachuk and Khabibulin and even Turris/Mueller/Wheeler.

Quietly leaving an unstable situation for a big payday and what was on paper a better team (in a tangible way -- how many of you picked the Coyotes to go farther than the Flyers this year as recently as a month ago, much less a year ago?) isn't the most noble thing in the world, but it's not exactly worthy of contempt.
I figured Bryz would collapse in the playoffs like he did for us. Therefore, a month ago, I had a good feeling we would go further than PHI.

As for animosity towards Bryz, I have none. I've never blamed a player, in any sport, for leaving for bigger money. However, I do applaud players willing to stay with a certain franchise for less money (Doan).

As for the Wheeler/Mueller/Turris trio, I will always have a certain disdain for those three. As for Wheeler, he entered the draft, had an idea he could go to any team, then when a team shows enough confidence in him to draft him, he jumps ship. Trashy, especially when he was offered the maximum $$ and ended up signing elsewhere for the same $$.

Mueller and Turris both dogged in order to get traded. That is a slap to the face of the fans, paying or not, the players, and the GM. Just serious disrespect across the board. I feel a little bad for Mueller because of his concussions, but I will in no way root for him. Turris, on the other hand, is garbage to me and I hope for his failure in OTT or any other team he ends up with.

BigGumby is offline   Reply With Quote