HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 08:26 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
That said, if he was selecting them as prospects, why would he stop now, especially given the overall early success rates with some of them, particularly Martinez, Simmonds and Nolan?
I think we may see a change in focus where as before DL would select an older prospect to get them into the system faster since they are farther along in the development cycle in an attempt to stock the cupboard faster. I think we may see a shift away from that and more to long term project players with specific skillsets. I look at some of the picks made in the last couple years (2011 especially) and I see the focus shifted away from these older draft picks and see more and more guys like Mersch, Shore, Forbort, Schumacher, and Gibson who all would appear to be on longer development cycles be it because they are in a NCAA program or are a very raw prospect. Even Toffoli I see as being a guy that was drafted with the intent of having him play a couple seasons in the AHL to round out and work on the weaknesses in his game, he jsut appears to be a little ahead of schedule.

Old
05-12-2012, 03:51 AM
SuperAlmeida

From the Dallas Stars Board:

April 7th ISS Countdown
Quote:
Damon Severson … ISS #49 … do everything type of defender … likable player … not flashy … doesn’t stand out in any category … very intelligent in both ends of the rink … physical … will drop the gloves … booming shot can find the net … throws good hits … not afraid to get dirty, get rough … doesn’t shy away from any situation … high end defenseman borders on the top group … trustworthy player … shows great development month after month … good around the net containing and boxing out

Warren Steel … offensive minded defender … great composure, panic threshold … when he’s got the puck he’s fearless … great first pass … great linear skating, attack ability ... great first step … flashes of grit … size and strength not there yet … effective in puck battles … uses stick really well to separate players from pucks … not great a clearing front of net, but good with stick work in front of net … when he gets the puck he wants to go with it

Ludvig Bystrom … ISS #22 … great strong Swedish defender … already playing big minutes in the SEL with Modo … tremendously intelligent … very physical … offensive minded defender … plays in all situations … can dominate the middle of the ice … difficult to beat on the rush and in space on zone play … all in all impressive ability … ability to get plays off in duress … doesn’t panic with guys coming at him … finds options with multiple opponents around him … really good upside

Calle Andersson … ISS #66 … good size … mobile, athletic … incredibly intelligent two-way defender … consistently improving offensive skills … IQ is off the charts … times pinches perfectly … can be dangerous triggerman … deceptively physical … has thrown monster hits at times, not all the time … plays with calm demeanor on ice … opportunistic player … could be huge mover in draft

Petr Sidlik … ISS#122 … smart, calculated, positional defender … great support instincts … not flashy, generally effective … finds options well, very active finding lanes … active, thinking, always finds ways to jump into play … not biggest, but surprisingly good with physical play … fire in his game

March 17th ISS Countdown
Quote:
Tim Bozon … ISS #35 … exciting offensive player … great puck skills … very creative mind … continue to impress all year with his offensive production … got the pedigree, son of ex-NHLer … great, European skill base where he’s really been taught from the ground up building on those technical skills, but he has that North American drive and heart in his game as well … he’s hovering around a point per game in his first season in the WHL, and you have to say he’s probably one of the biggest surprises as far as consistency of strong prospects for this draft go

Danil Zharkov … he has continued to develop and adapt to the North American game … we saw him go to the USHL last year, we saw him struggle a little bit … he continues to promote the skills that he has … the big thing with him is that he’s a goal scorer first above anything else … he’s a dynamic offensive player … he finds scoring situations … it’s very impressive when you watch him; it’s not the same play over and over … he’s not the kind of guy who just waits on his off shot one timer … he’s not the kind of guy that just drives the net … he put’s it all together; he finds different spots … very, very good with the puck … he’s got great speed and quickness in his hands and feet and especially when you consider his size it’s a pretty appealing package that he puts together

Scott Kosmachuk … ISS # 39 … one of the most underrated players in the draft … projects better as a defensive player … we’ve seen that offensive ability added to his game … this is a kid that’s grown so much and earned the ice time against better players in more situations … he’s playing against a lot better players than he was last year … putting himself in offensive situations is why that side of the game has grown … when we talk about two-way players in this draft this is one of the better players … offensively he places his shots very well … he’s the kind of kid that will lead a rush, come in, get shot, and you might see a bad bounce or transition and it goes the other way and he’s the first kid back … he backchecks just as hard as he forechecks … he bangs and crashes quite a bit … generally he scores a lot of goals off his wrist shot … he seems to place the puck very, very well when he shoots … he’s the kind of guy who can get the puck off the rush or find the puck outside of a scramble … when we talk about his goals it’s a shot that he takes and hits a defenseman and in … he finds pucks … he’s opportunistic … he’s able to get that puck at the net … he’s able to choose an area to shoot at that tends to allow it to create a scoring chance if it doesn’t go in

Nic Kerdiles … ISS #27 … it’s an interesting thing point production, and I always warn people about it and try to keep people try not to put too much stock in points they’re putting up … I do believe he’s a 1st round player because he’s a total package type offensive player … he’s a capable scoring forward with good size and competitive spirit … he’s got that power forward potential even though he’s not huge, but he has good size … he’s very strong … he’s got good instincts around the puck … what sets him apart is his ability to protect the puck, that’s a skill that translates very, very well not just to the pro level but to the NHL … guys that can protect the puck well and understand how to do it that’s a skill that is very, very difficult to cultivate in guys … this is a guy that’s proven that he can do it … add to the fact that he has a certain smoothness and creativity with the puck and an above average understanding what to do with it … I think that’s what makes this kid so appealing

Brandon Whitney … he’s got great size … plays a butterfly style … takes up the net very well … he’s very athletic with great quick low reactions … there’s still some holes in his games … he gives up quite a few rebounds … his upper body movements could probably be better … at 6’5” and the athletic ability he has it’s the potential … the fact that he still has quite a bit of physical maturing to do makes him very, very interesting … ranked as 7th best goalie available
Interview with Tim Bozon on 4/21

Quote:
Offensively, it’s my best part of hockey. I think about offense, but when I talk about my coach every time we try to get better on defense. Plus, for the next level you have to be good at two-way player. I’m working on my defensive game, but I’m more guy who brings offense to the team. Going to bring speed, and score goals for the team. Help the team offensively, but I don’t forget my job defensively.
April 21st ISS Draft Coundown:

Quote:
Mathew Dumba … if you’re an opponent lined up against Dumba you’re not worried about his size you’re worried about where he is on the ice because he’s dangerous in both directions when you have the puck or he has the puck … he’s the Canadian captain (U-18) … he’s playing in all situations … he’s eating major minutes all tournament … biggest thing he’s showing off is that shot … very good at finding open space setting up for one timers … that shot has caused trouble for goaltenders … he’s scored in every single game … that one timer really creates a lot of good offensive chances … he likes to jump into the rush with the puck … he likes to jump into the rush without the puck … he’s got very good offensive timing … he always seems to be in that opportunistic spot to put in a rebound or be a secondary pass option … the other side is that dangerous physical presence … he’s put up some penalty minutes in this tournament from hits, but I’ll tell you watching these hits they are clean hits and it’s just the international rules and the international referees that aren’t use to players that play with that sort of aggressive, physical jump in the neutral zone … he’s been absolutely exceptional … the big knock is there is risk associate with his game … he gets compared to players like P,K. Subban and Dion Phaneuf but it’s more of a boldness than a riskiness in his game … he can end up on transition trying to complete plays and just missing or having a player jump in but it wasn’t as prominent in the WHL as we’ve seen in this tournament … (Regarding hitting and his size limiting his physical play in NHL) it’s more a technique with Matt; right now already playing against guys like we said that are bigger than him … he’s an average size player; he’s not a monster … he’s going to put on weight; he works hard in the off-season … it’s all about technique with him; it’s all about timing; it’s all about finding those right spots; it’s not pure physical advantage that he has over everybody; its that technique; it’s like a golf swing; once you know how to do it well it doesn’t matter how big how strong you are

Sebastian Collberg … ISS #12 … benefited from the attention on Filip Forsberg and the top Swedish line … his line mostly used in secondary situations … they’ve absolutely rolled over the competition … he’s tied for the tournament lead in scoring, and he’s got a game in hand over Dumba … it’s been exceptional to watch him play … he’s not the biggest player, but he’s exceptionally smooth in the perimeter … he can dart off the wall into middle ice … very, very good at finding shooting lanes and small areas with the puck … he’s got a great shot … very accurate and when it doesn’t hit the back of the net it usually creates some sort of rebound … he’s really pesky around the puck and tough to allude in pressure … he wants that puck; he wants to make plays … he’s been very, very exciting to watch … he’s really used in offensive situations a lot … Collberg finds himself on top lines as a complimentary player to other players, but this one here it’s been a little bit more his show; he’s not been with Forsberg, he’s not been that 2nd guy/2nd gone; it’s been OK you’re going to get your ice time in the situations that you are successful in and you’re going to have an opportunity to make things happen and he’s done so

Filip Forsberg … ISS #2 … used in every situation … people talked about Forsberg having a bad World Juniors, but I absolutely loved him in the WJC … everyone was waiting for him to show up and put up points and create offense, but he went into a defensive role and he played that role very well … he was blocking shots; he was throwing hits … he didn’t look out of place for a 17 year old player against the best 19 year old kids in the world that’s not something that you see that often … yeah it’s nice to see these young offensive kids come up and put up huge numbers, but when he came out and did that (defensive game) and showed that he can be that versatile I was blown away … I left that event loving him even more … then getting to watch him this time against kids his own age his appeal is off the charts … IMO he’s a top liner you know worst case scenario he’s a 2nd liner you know that depends on how he falls in a team’s depth chart … him and Teravainen have stepped up (at this even without the 3 Russians) and shown their ability to dominate a game in both directions … Forsberg is a monster around the puck … if you get in a battle with him you’re going to lose … if you try and take the puck from him it’s not going to happen … no one stands a chance of disrupting his possession which is an absolutely incredible skill that translates very, very well to the professional level … the other thing he’s shown well is his offensive timing …. He’s very good at finding open space in the slot which is the hardest place to find open space … he just rolls off a player then gets a shot off … most guys need to wind up above their head to take; he’s just got to take it up to his hip and he can shoot that hard and that fast … it’s been incredible to see what he can do

Anton Slepyshev … the best Russian no playing in Canada … he’s the Russian captain … when you first watch him you kind of look at him and you shrug thinking ahh he really doesn’t stand out because you’re use to Russian players doing certain things having a certain speed; being very bold with the puck, but he doesn’t really stand out that often … you watch him a little more and you realize this guy doesn’t stand out that often and it’s a good thing … he’s very well rounded … he’s got a strong hockey IQ … he does all the little things to help make a team successful … he’s not going to drag the puck and dangle around like we are use to with most Russians … he sticks to the perimeter … loves to draw opponents and make plays … gets the puck deep … works hard for the puck … got a really good shot from the outside and he can score on that … I say he doesn’t dangle but don’t think for a second that means he doesn’t have a skill set that’s capable if you give him space to take it to the net … this is a guy that the more you watch him the more you like him … he can fit in a whole variety of roles

Jacob Trouba … he’s just been exceptional … the US defense has been something to behold … Seth Jones has really stood out … Seth Jones is probably the best U-18 defenseman I’ve ever seen … Jacob Trouba has fit right in and played perfectly along with Jones … They basically anchor the first two pairs for that team … Trouba is not flashy where Jones stands out quite a bit he’ll take the puck and run up ice with it … the thing about Trouba is how strong and capable he is in every situation … he’s very, very intelligent … his decision making is off the charts … his instincts around his own net are unbelievable … he can read the play, get back with his long reach, intercept pucks … one thing that’s really stood out is his ability to watch plays come from the corners, see the other team control the puck in the corner, when they try to work it around he just pops off and steals it, turns up the ice real quick, off the US go

Matt Murray … 6’5” … very athletic … looks very, very appealing … he’s able to move post to post extremely well … he’s very fast … he pushes off his edges really well … he’s got strong vision and anticipation … he’ll plant himself on one side of the net knowing there’s a pass coming to the other … when it gets their no matter how hard he’s there

Old
05-12-2012, 03:57 AM
SuperAlmeida

From the Dallas Stars Board

Desember 3rd ISS Draft Countdown:
Quote:
Olli Maata … his game is that well rounded, reliable defenseman that's going to make the smart, simple play all the time … he can put up points; he's capable of it … you'll see him on PP at times, but he's more of the guy that gets things going as opposed to the guy that starts the play that's going to produce a goal … he's incredibly intelligent … very poised with the puck … he's not the guy that's going to take big risks or take the puck down the ice or drive the net or jump off the point … you now exactly what you are going to get every time you put him on the ice … (as of December) he's a mid-1st rounder

Zemgus Girgensons … a lot of people really like the way he plays … when we talk about potential his growth has been incredible … he's the kind of guy that can do a little bit of everything offensively … he's a very intelligent player … he finds open ice well … he's got a good technical skill set that allows him to get the puck into the net … he plays with good speed … he's been known to throw good checks … when you are watching him as a scout he stands out quite often … not quite consistent in gritty, physical play … brings his lunch pail and brings effort consistently

Radek Faksa … very, very skilled player … does have some of that stigma that comes with elite European players that sometimes they're a little into their own skill set and when they get frustrated they don't quite know how to handle it … in the past he has been prone to take poor, undisciplined penalties … I have to say he's been very impressive this year and adapting very well … I don't think that will be a part of his game much longer … Personally I think he's maturing a lot playing that North American game and learning how to use his size because he's a big kid … he's very, very intelligent away from the puck and goes to find dead ice very, very well … when he first came he didn't react well to battles, but now he's learning how to react to that … he's learning, adapting very well … he's got a big frame; he's going to fill out more and get stronger and the more and more he plays this North American game he continues to adapt he continues to improve and he continues to develop … he's doing well right now, but the potential for him is high
November 5th ISS Draft Countdown:
Quote:
Martin Frk … exciting goal scoring forward … competitive drive … the release on his shot is incredible … ultra intense … isn't afraid to play dirty … isn't afraid to play mean … you watch him once and you fall in love with him … pretty difficult to fall out of love with him even if he is a bit banged up
November 19th ISS Draft Countdown:
Quote:
Gianluca Curcuruto … this is a guy that gets lost in the depth of defenders in this draft … he's underrated … he's got a very similar skill set (Trouba/Dumba) … he can play all areas of the ice … he's got the size … he's extremely mobile … he's got a really good, explosive first step … he can play physical .. he can control the defensive zone well … he's got some really, really good offensive upside … he's one of the guys that impressed at the U-18 Canada selection camp … he didn't make the roster, but he showcased some really good skills and pro potential … ISS #27 as of November 19 … his potential is key; he's already quite good, but you look at him and you know he's going to get a lot better … he's going to get stronger … he's going to get more opportunities and confidence
November 17th ISS Draft Countdown:
Quote:
Ville Pokka … dynamic skater … makes great partner passes … creates lanes with the puck … likes to jump into the rush … very, very intelligent offensive defender … you get those guys in Finland and Sweden that can play in those top leagues and they are unbelievable leagues and when you can have a young guy like that step in and find time on PP and special teams situations and crucial minutes it's definitely a big thing

Jacob Trouba … he's been a guy that's shown really well in that National Team Development program … he's been a go to guy for years with that U-17/U-18 program … he's definitely ready to make that step to the next level (U-20 WJC) … very, very smooth skill set player … got a great stick … really strong around the puck … really good instincts … controls his lanes well … good gaps … takes contact really well, hard to knock off his skates … very poised … great panic threshold

Tanner Pearson … a lot of his success comes from great release on his shot; it comes off his stick laser-like … he gets himself in good opportunities to get those off and be a triggerman … deceptive playmaking ability as well … he can shoot for rebounds … he's also very good at coming from outside rush and finding options … more of a linear attacker than he is a guy that's going to take the puck and make a whole bunch of stuff happen … pretty good size and build to him … he's a guy that went undrafted so he's an older player … he's a little bit more mature … he's one of those guys that doesn't always look pretty but he gets the job done … I don't know if he's a first rounder, but you get more comfortable looking at him as a 2nd rounder …

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-12-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old
05-12-2012, 04:04 AM
SuperAlmeida

January 21st ISS Draft Countdown:
Quote:
Michael Matheson … extremely smooth … offensively capable … great skater … incredibly mobile … very deceptive with the puck … average size … not always the most physically capable player … every now and then does surprise you with a massive hit … relies more on his feet and stick to cause turnovers … excellent vision … distributes the puck really, really well from the point … nice looking player, aesthetically pleasing to watch …

Jordan Schmaltz … very, very raw … explosive skill set … good sized offensive minded defenseman … confident and poised around the puck … uses his body well … good at shielding lanes … takes away the middle of the ice defensively … tenacious with the puck … good offensive upside … not a lot of risk associated with his game … versatile … already that good with raw capabilities; someone you can develop over the next several years …
February 4th ISS Draft Countdown:
Quote:
Dalton Thrower … my favorite player in this draft that no one talks about … he does everything well … he's tough; he's gritty … intelligent … great work ethic … will fight anybody even the toughest on the other team … moves the puck well … makes good pinch decisions … blocks shots … does everything you want … some concern about average size and the style he plays, but he's a guy you're comfortable with in any situation … fairly calm on the ice; not the aggressor, but he won't back down

Tom Wilson … big, physical, mean spirited … not an easy guy to play against … loves to fight … good around the net with good hands … he can do some creative things around the net … excellent net presence … knows how to time his cuts through the crease … plays well in front of the net and in the corners … physical play stands out the most with big hands … engages everyone physically … sets a tone/tempo for the game

Scott Laughton … work ethic … works hard … plays well in both directions … plays with grit, toughness … competitive spirit sets him apart … leader on the ice … leader by example … compares to Mike Richards/Guy Carboneau … understand the full spectrum of the game; play hard; lead by example … continues to evolve his offensive game … looks like a player that will continue to get better at that

Raphaël Bussières … well rounded skill set … intelligent offensive instincts … element of grit … nice skating stride … good shot … vision with the puck … good full package that projects very well

Derrick Pouliot … good around the puck … not my favorite … moves the puck well and sees options … poise and confidence with puck … when he does have options holds on to puck to try and do more on his own which ended up turnovers … on transitional rush he's great … QB the PP … the things he sees and the things he's capable of doing are pretty incredible …
February 18th ISS Draft Countdown:
Quote:
Brady Skjei … big guy … moves well for his size … good footwork … great first pass … great pro potential with room for development … concerned about consistency in decision making … raw player

Mike Winther … great, energetic skater … opportunistic shooting player … great intensity … very quick around the puck … good shot … hard to keep out of space … good playmaker as a bantam, but he's turning into a goal scorer in WHL

Emil Lundberg … great combo of size/skill … great physical work ethic … doesn't always look pretty, but consistently a positive presence for his team … good hands around the net … loves to bang and crash … excels as a workhorse … good on the boards … awesome on the PK … does whatever it takes to win … shows good leadership qualities … similar to Johan Larsson, but maybe not quite as skilled … ISS scouts like him as a hybrid between Johan Franzen and Nathan Horton

Old
05-12-2012, 04:06 AM
SuperAlmeida

March 3rd ISS Countdown:
Quote:
Teuvo Teravainen … he's an electrifying offensive talent … he's been doing it at every tournament we've watched him at the last few years … he's smaller; got a frail frame … extremely quick hands; extremely quick feet … very, very creative with the puck … he's 6' if you like him, but he doesn't look that big on the ice … he looks small on the ice … every tournament he's been in with Finland he's been a standout creating offense regardless of the players that have been with him … projecting him as a pro; he's already a pro in Finland; he's been effective in that league and the style translates a little bit better to the NHL than the other European leagues … this is a kid that just keeps on rising … there's no reason to think he won't; U-18's will be a big tournament for him; if he can put up points and Finland does well he'll be a kid that will probably end up garnering a lot of 1st round attention … doesn't quite have the high end skill of Granlund … he doesn't hang out on the perimeter (like Granlund) .. more adept at getting to the front of the net; attacking lanes with the puck … still wouldn't have him in same skill category as Granlund …

Jarrod Maidens … injury problems are a concern … throws it all out there … people that play this particular style that are willing to put it all on the line are going to get hurt … power forward … extreme talent … great player … very, very intelligent around the puck … already has very good elements of power in his game … plays with a disciplined, respectful aggression … doesn't take a whole lot of bad penalties … always working hard; getting involved physically … absolutely was a standout last year in the Memorial Cup; vital part of that team …

Charles Hudon … first round skill … falling into the same category as Rocco Grimaldi last year where he has that unbelievable talent but the size is a serious concern … extremely creative … very shifted … biggest issue is he's a perimeter player … very, very good playmaker on the perimeter, but doesn't always win that physical space to the middle … when he can get to the middle he has great hands around the net and he can put it in … fear that he might not get there going on the next level, but he has excelled at every level he's played at … no reason to expect otherwise

Gemel Smith … can't measure him by his height … ball of energy … full of heart … game changes every time he steps on the ice … one of the best competitors available in this draft … excels in almost every situation … he's just tremendous on the PK … he'd be one of the most frustrating players you'd every have to play against … difficult to allude on the forecheck … he doesn't give up; his feet are moving … he just wills his way to success … deceptively capable of producing offense …

Old
05-12-2012, 04:10 AM
SuperAlmeida

Evaluation of the defensemen and goalies for the USA U-18 Gold Medal Team

Quote:
Jacob Trouba — It is plainly clear why Trouba is getting a lot of Top-10 buzz. He can do a little bit of everything. His pro-ready size and strength are going to be attractive to a lot of teams. He also plays with an edge and had several bone-crushing hits in the tournament. What people often forget is that Trouba is a tremendous skater. He has speed, sure, but there’s more to it than that. He’s able to find seems and turn it up ice quickly. Then there’s his cannon from the point. Trouba’s one goal at the tournament came off a stunning one-timer that required video review because it came right off the back bar in the net so quickly. He posted three points total. Knocks on his offensive upside are overblown, I feel. There are clearly many tools at this defenseman’s disposal. He should go early on Day 1. Committed to the University of Michigan.

Brady Skjei — Though overshadowed by Jones and Jacob Trouba, Brady Skjei put together an incredibly effective tournament for the U.S. He posted just one assist, but Skjei shut down just about everybody he faced. Defensively, he was a rock. Skjei has tremendous skating ability, but has also shown improved decision-making and high level of defensive awareness. If he ever made a mistake, he was able to make up for it with speed and physicality. He led the team with a plus-10 rating at the tournament. Skjei might not have the talent of a Jones or Trouba presently, but he has a tremendous amount of upside. Whichever team gets him won’t likely see immediate results, but as Skjei’s game grows, he could turn into something pretty special. Committed to the University of Minnesota.

Patrick Sieloff — A true defensive-defenseman, Sieloff thrived in a shutdown role. Best known for his teeth-chattering hits, Sieloff played a much more calculated game in Brno. He was still physical, but better picked his spots and was rarely caught out of position. Team USA’s defense was so good at stepping up immediately at its own blue line, and Sieloff was particularly good at this. Whether with his body or his stick, he always seemed to find a way to separate the puck from the player. Sieloff looked like a seasoned veteran out there. He likely cemented himself into an early-second-round draft position. Committed to Miami University.
Forwards:

Quote:
Riley Barber — After leading the U.S. National Under-18 Team in goal scoring during the regular-season, Barber was expected to produce. Though he only put up one goal and three points, Barber generated many scoring chances. He has pretty good speed and puck skills and found ways to get to the net. Though he only scored one goal, it was a huge one against Canada in the prelim round, allowing the U.S. to head into the lockeroom tied with the Canadians after 40 minutes. It was a huge turning point in the game. Barber’s size is going to scare off a few teams, but he is undoubtedly a mid-round talent. Committed to Miami University.

Nic Kerdiles — Kerdiles finished as Team USA’s leading scorer after his five-point performance in the gold-medal game. Kerdiles ended up with nine points (4g-5a) and looked every bit the first-rounder in Brno. He’s not a very flashy player, but Kerdiles uses his size well and has tremendous speed. He can get up and down the ice and be a factor in all zones. Kerdiles goes hard to the net and puts himself in the good scoring areas. His first of two goals in the gold-medal game put the dagger in Sweden. He has a good shot and good enough puck skills, but his size and speed are what put him in Top-30 consideration. Committed to the University of Wisconsin.

Old
05-12-2012, 04:11 AM
SuperAlmeida

March 31st ISS Draft Countdown:
Quote:
Branden Troock … character player … leaves it all out on the ice … similar injury as Sidney Crosby; told it might be time to retire … passionate; never-say-never … great worker … plays roles very well … dictate tempo … add a ton of energy … capable offensive skills, but not going to put up huge numbers … notice most about him is big hits … some concern about concussions and soft tissue damage to the neck, but he's comeback from injury and hasn't really toned down his game

Cody Corbett … versatile, hard working defender … plays both ends of the ice well … offensive upside has really developed with the Oil Kings … gritty, rough, stern demeanor on the backend … calculated aggression … does small defensive things correctly … shows potential growth moving forward in development … decent shot … good first pass … boldness stems from confidence and poise, can lead to mistakes … does seem to know his limitations though

Brady Vail … good sized physical player … not afraid to get his nose dirty … finds ways to get advantage for your team … good in the possession game …can muscle his way through people and around the ice with the puck … defensive awareness really improved … two-way, plays in different situations … projects best as a depth role player … 3rd or 4th liner … physical, strong, protect the puck, block shots … relies too much on power, needs to improve speed … skating area he needs to work on the most … fairly safe pick

Nick Ebert … very strong skills that standout even though his status is dropping … big shot from the point … physical conditioning was not up to par at the start of season … fall at least to 2nd round, likely 3rd round pick

Henrik Samuelsson … plays on an edge, feisty … needs to be controlled, that's the coaches job … it's a violent sport, mean sometimes; you need guys that have the ability to play this way
May 5th ISS Draft Countdown:
Quote:
Derrick Pouliot … does have one particular skill that stands out … really good first pass … starts a lot of plays … good power play QB … take longer to develop, but as a pro he’ll be about transitional offense

Andreas Athanasiou … early 2nd round pick … on a deep team in London sharing time with other good players … has good numbers, but not what you expected … got speed … good with the puck … give him a chance he’s going to make it count

Jesse Graham … smaller defenseman … very offensive minded … got wheels, loves to skate … when he has the puck he loves to carry it up the ice … doesn’t know his limitations just yet … has boldness that can turn into something special if cultivated and developed properly … with the puck can make a lot of really good things happen offensively and on the PP … given space he can capitalize

Old
05-12-2012, 04:23 AM
SuperAlmeida

Many of us hope that DL picks a forward with our 1st round pick (If CBJ choose next years pick)... What if DL picks a defenseman, who would we want?

Some defensemen:

- Derrick Poulliot
- Damon Severson
- Ludvig Byström
- Matt Finn
- Dalton Thrower
- Slater Koekkoek
- Brady Skjei
- Patrick Sieloff
- Michael Matheson
- Jordan Schmaltz
- Ville Pokka
- Emil Lundberg
- Olli Määttä

If that happens I'm leaning towards Dalton Thrower. We don't have a prospect like him in the system. He's a a very physical player with some offensive upside!

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-12-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old
05-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
This ^

Alsner is a turnover machine who puts himself out of position due to his slow decision making. Hickey will be a PMD d man in the NHL, maybe not with us but he will at least be as valuable as Alzner is to whatever team he plays for once he gets there.

Alzner is a fringe NHLer at this point and really only plays because his team doesn't have anyone else to fill his role.

Oh and Hickey impressed me allot with the way he has picked up his game this season. He is steadily becoming a very good pmd with 4/6 capabilities.

I'd stand by it.

Yea and Hickey has dealt with setbacks from injuries at least twice, while Alzner has stayed relatively healthy. In perspective of that, Hickey is about a year or so behind other people in his draft class and would ergo be ready to hit the NHL come next season. Which at this point looks likely given the way he has played this season in Manchester.

If I were Martinez I would be working my ass off this summer knowing this kid is comin for it this year.

Old
05-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Yea and Hickey has dealt with setbacks from injuries at least twice, while Alzner has stayed relatively healthy. In perspective of that, Hickey is about a year or so behind other people in his draft class and would ergo be ready to hit the NHL come next season. Which at this point looks likely given the way he has played this season in Manchester.

If I were Martinez I would be working my ass off this summer knowing this kid is comin for it this year.
Not to mention Muzzin is ready, IMO.

Old
05-12-2012, 03:53 PM
SuperAlmeida

Matej Beran is an interesting player and would be a decent 4th-5th round pick!

Matej Beran, 6'5", 210lbs center in the QMJHL with 61 points in 68 games.

Quote:
The 18-year-old Czech-native seems to have found his stride in his first season of major junior hockey, and is putting up better than point-per-game numbers in Charlottetown.

Beran has 47 points and 48 penalty minutes through 44 games.

His 19 goals and 28 assists put him second in team scoring behind Ben Duffy, and fourth in the league among rookies.
“I think it’s very good for me,” Beran said of his point production. “Last year, I had not so good season, 25 points in 40 games. I think I play good this season and I need to continue.”

It didn’t take long for the 6-foot-5, 208-pound Swedish Elite League product to find his game in Canada. In fact, he believes the smaller rink size has worked to his advantage.

“It’s a bit different, because in Europe we have bigger rinks,” he said. “Here it's small. But I like it small because it’s more offensive. For me, it’s good.”
Blessed with quick hands and a big frame, Beran started playing hockey at the age of four in his hometown of Plzeň, Czech Republic – population 170,000.
Last week, 14 years of hard work paid off when he found himself ranked 59th among North American skaters in the NHL’s 2012 mid-term draft listing, good for third-highest among QMJHL skaters.

“I hope I will be drafted,” Beran said. “That’s why I’m here. I must be better and better.”

Rocket head coach Gordie Dwyer said his first-line left winger has worked hard to get noticed.

“I think it’s well-deserved on his part,” Dwyer said of the draft ranking. “He works hard every day. He's a young guy coming from another country, but he's adapting well. He’s starting to make a little bit of noise now in the league. He came in kind of quietly, but his play's been rising throughout the season and people are starting to take notice."

Beran was selected by 35th overall by the Rocket in the 2011 CHL import draft, nine picks after his Czech countryman, defenceman Tomas Pavelka.
Pavelka was also ranked for the NHL draft last week, 126th among North Americans.

The two spend much of their time together, as both are staying with billets Jeff and Mary Anne Demone in Stratford, P.E.I.
At the hockey rink however, Beran is typically paired up with Duffy, his playmaking centre.

The two get along on and off the ice, and that’s been the key to their success, Duffy said.

"Anytime he has a concern or anything he needs, he comes to me to ask, and I think we kind of carry that on the ice with good chemistry,” he said. “It started to click at the start of the year and it's just continuing.

“He's a big kid so when he has the puck. He's good at protecting it and it's hard to get it away from him. He has a really quick release and a hard shot and I think that's his strong point."

Beran admits he needs to work on his skating to become a truly effective power forward.

“All my life, I wasn’t so fast,” he said. “I’m a big guy, but I need better skating. I need to get faster.”

Coach Dwyer continues to be impressed by Beran’s effective play for the Rocket (13-27-2-2).

“He's big, he's strong, and he gets the job done,” he said. “He's got some offensive tools and he's putting up points. He wants to be a hockey player. He's here, and he's committed. You can tell. He's got a good personality and he's adjusted well so far to being here and I think his play speaks for itself. He's continuing to get better as the season progresses. If he keeps going this direction, I think he's making people take notice.”

Link

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-12-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 02:04 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Henrik Samuelsson?
Has size, top end speed, good wrister. Will be availale around 30th. I know he is a playmaker but i like his pedigree, and his weakness' all can be worked on

Old
05-14-2012, 10:07 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Many of us hope that DL picks a forward with our 1st round pick (If CBJ choose next years pick)... What if DL picks a defenseman, who would we want?

Some defensemen:

- Derrick Poulliot- Damon Severson
- Ludvig Byström
- Matt Finn
- Dalton Thrower
- Slater Koekkoek
- Brady Skjei
- Patrick Sieloff
- Michael Matheson
- Jordan Schmaltz
- Ville Pokka
- Emil Lundberg
- Olli Määttä

If that happens I'm leaning towards Dalton Thrower. We don't have a prospect like him in the system. He's a a very physical player with some offensive upside!
The top guy on your list I can see DL going after (assuming he's still there). DL likes the WHL boys and he's having a good season. I think he'll be gone by 27th, which is the highest we can pick this year, and DL can't trade up using the 1st we have this year because Columbus has until two picks before LA drafts to decide if theya re using the 1st this year or waiting until next year.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

I know pretty much nobody here cares that much about the draft (I am barely thinking about it, but with WPG being my other team and LAK looking horribad for large parts of the season pre-Carter I have done some research on the upcoming draft) but here is the draft list I have put together. Columbus is likely to decline the Kings pick this year since it will be 29/30 so they will have a first rounder.

Ok, I think this will be my final list for the draft. I have a bias towards the two things that are impossible to teach, size and hockey IQ. Skating, stickhandling, positioning, strength, speed can be taught/improved on but size and hockey IQ do not develop like other skills, those skills can't be taught. I have also separated the players into "tiers" where I think there is a drop off of talent for the first 30. So here it is.

Tier 1
1. RW Nail Yakupov - Clear #1, the has the entire package, will be an NHL star in a few years.
2. C Mikhail Grigorenko - Sliding on some lists, I don't buy it. The guy is the complete package, offense/defense, good size, skates well, I think he will be a player.
3. D Ryan Murray - Rounding the first "tier" of players for me is Murray who is just a smart, smooth defenseman. He will be solid player as soon as next year, he has great upside as twoway defenseman. Not overly physical, but smart, never out of position, great first pass, pretty much no weaknesses here.
Tier 2
4. RW Filip Forsberg - Another player with high hockey IQ, Forsberg plays a strong puck protection game with good speed and great instincts. I think his game will translate really well to the NHL.
5. C Alex Galchenyuk - I am not sold completely on Galchenyuk. He has unreal hands, smooth player, but for some reason I keep thinking "Sam Gagner" with this guy. Not sure how his game will translate to NHL, much as Gagner has not been able to become a true top 6 center.
6. C Radek Faksa - I realize that I am biased towards this guy, but I just love the skill set here. His size, skating, hands and hockey IQ are just so so good, I love the way he projects for the NHL game. I don't like the Hanzal comparaisons I keep hearing since I think Faksa has loads more offensive potential, maybe a more physical but not as smooth skating Kopitar type. I am really really hoping the Jets take him.
7. D Jacob Trouba - Yup, I think that this guy is the 2nd best defenseman in the draft. He is a very smart player, very safe, but with plenty of skill to develop into an elite player. He is not somebody you throw in the lineup next year or 3, but he has fantastic upside.
8. LW Teuvo Teravainen - I think he is gaining a little more traction than he should (people are talking top 5 for him now), but he has a very high hockey IQ, very elusive player with great hands. Is an offensive first guy, but his offensive ceiling is very high.
9. D Griffin Reinhart - Has the size and skill needed but the big question is whether the drive is there. His inconsistency and shyness for consistent physical play at his size is somewhat concerning, but he would far be from the first junior player to overcome that. He has Norris potential, but might not be more than a 5/6, high risk, high reward player.
Tier 3
10. D Morgan Reilly - His smooth skating and nice passing make him attractive, but I am not sold on his longterm potential as a twoway defenseman. His defensive game needs work.
11. D Matthew Dumba - I have little love for him. He strikes me as a junior player, somebody who depends on skating and physicality that will not translate well to the pro game.
12. C Brendan Gaunce - Although he posted similar points to Faksa in OHL this year, Gaunce projects to the NHL much more as a grinder defensive center than a two way guy like Faksa. He is big, physical, has decent hands, but the big question with him will be his offensive upside.
13. C Zemgus Girgensons - He is a bit of project, but Girgensons (who is headed to U of Vermont for 4 years or less) will have plenty of time in college. He has the size and hockey sense to be a great twoway center, with some skating, hands, positioning, defensive awareness and from what I hear leadership.
14. D Cody Ceci - Has good size, but is more known for his skating, passing and shooting as an offensive guy. He is not overly physical, but does play the body. I don't know, something with him, he has never caught me as a top top end prospect.
Tier 4
15. D Olli Maata - Very smart defenseman, has great hockey sense, but his skills are just average. I know I earlier said skill can be developed, but I am not sure if they will develop enough for Maata to ever be a top end defenseman. He is a "safe" pick that will likely be a key role player (3-6 defenseman) but not sold on top pairing potential
16. G Andrei Vasilevski - Maybe a bit early, but I think with his size and speed Vasilevski will be a very quality starter someday. Unlike Campbell he has the regular season resume to back his WJC, he is a great young goalie.
17. C Tomas Hertl - A very very smart player with slick hands, Hertl was the top player on his men's team in the Czech Republic last year, Hertl has elite offensive upside. I think his skill set is well suited to the NHL game, Hertl is smart and elusive.
18. D Slater Koekkoek - He is a guy that is rising hard on my rankings, he is a very effective twoway defenseman. An injury took him out much of the season, but has the size and skill.
19. D Hampus Lindholm - This guy is another smart safe defenseman, he put up great points at the junior level and showed a smart safe game with a solid first pass at the Allsvenskan.
Tier 5
20. RW Martin Frk - Struggled all season with concussion symptoms, but returned late in the season and played well. Struggled in playoffs somewhat though. Could be a young Dustin Brown though, he has a great skill set.
21. D Matthew Finn - Not really sure what to make of this guy. Had great stats, wore an "A" at just 17, but has no real wow factor. Honestly, have not seen much of him, he is a wildcard in my book.
22. RW Stefan Matteau - This is a guy that gets overlooked much too much, IMO. He has great size, plays with an edge, great hands, has all the makings of a nice young power forward. Consistency is a major concern (as it is with ALL young power forwards), but I like his upside.
23. C Henrik Samuelsson - Another power forward in the making, Samuelsson loves to play with an edge, and he has plenty of offensive upside too. He has great hands, drives the net, good on ice vision.
24. RW Sebastien Collberg - I don't believe the hype with this guy. He is little else than a set of wheels, which serves well enough for dominating juniors, but don't see it translating well to NHL. More likely Kirill Koltsov than Michael Grabner, IMO, but still will be a first rounder based on those wheels hoping something else will develop.
25. G Oscar Dansk - Plenty will tell you he is the best goalie in the draft, but I am not so certain. Dansk has just average size, he has been lights out at international tourneys this year and looked very good during the season. He plays very well positionally, rarely caught out of position. Spent time in NA with Shattucks St. Marys.
Tier 6
26. D Jordan Schmaltz - Smooth skater, committed to defense this year and saw his already impressive offensive totals plateau in the USHL, but next year he moves on to UND. He has great potential as a puck moving defenseman.
27. D Ludvig Bystrom - Does not have countryman Lindholm's composure or size, but Bystrom is a solid prospect in his own right. Hits well, jumps up in the play well, he may be a impact player at the next level.
28. D Derrick Pouliot - Not really a fan of Pouliot. He may well end up the next Mike Green or he may never play an NHL game. Skates well, good shot, runs the PP, but his defensive zone is terrible. Not sold on his skill set being able to translate to the next level.
29. LW Phillip Di Giuseppe - Saw his level of play drop off considerably in the 2nd half of the year which will badly hurt his draft stock, but he is a very smart player and put up great numbers for one of the youngest players in the NCAA.
30. C Cristoval Nieves - Here's a name many may not recognize, but he is a smart playmaking center with great size out of Kent School that is committed to U of Michigan. He is a very smart player with great on-ice vision.

Next 30
31. RW Thomas Wilson
32. LW Tanner Pearson
33. RW Tim Bozon
34. C Colton Sissons
35. D Damon Severson
36. C Scott Laughton
37. C Lukas Sutter
38. D Jake McCabe
39. G Malcolm Subban
40. D Michael Matheson
41. D Dalton Thrower
42. LW Nicolas Kerdiles
43. D Brady Skjei
44. D Ville Pokka
45. LW Pontus Aberg
46. C Mark Jankowski
47. C Gemel Smith
48. LW Matej Beran
49. C Jarrod Maidens
50. LW Anton Slepyshev
51. C Devin Shore
52. RW Tomas Hyka
53. C Zach Stepan
54. D Adam Pelech
55. C Brady Vail
56. LW Coda Gordon
57. LW Daniil Zharkov
58. D Dillion Fournier
59. LW Andreas Athanasiou
60. RW Matia Marcantuoni

I think the Kings will have a chance to get Frk, Matteau or Samuelsson, I really hope they grab one. A nice young powerforward would look really good in their system, and they have plenty of time to be patient with such a player.

PS: Holy **** it is so awesome to not look forward to the draft as a Kings fan! What a great feeling when the draft matters not at all.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 05-24-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old
05-23-2012, 11:58 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

If Tom Wilson is available at the 30th pick, Kings should take him imo. Prototypical DL player.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I'm thinking DL might deal this pick to get a pair of 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd. Because COlumbus has all the way up to two picks before we draft to decide if they want the pick or not, we have to keep it until then, meaning we really can't trade up. Given we don't have many picks this year and that this draft looks rather average at the moment beyond the first dozen or so picks, I could see DL trying to add more depth. Will depend on if someone falls or not though.

Holden, good list, well thought out. Only Matteau of the three you mentioned though would I want LA to get. I'm just not a Frk fan and Samuelsson's foot speed is rather weak. Great hockey IQ with him, 100 per cent agree, but foot speed as slow as his will be a detriment and will likely limit his effectiveness in the NHL.

I'm leaning more towards another D-man to be honest, such as Lapoint or Thrower. I think more talent is in the D crop this year and there's a better chance a good D-man will fall.

Back to your list, I think Vasilevski and Dansk are the wildcards (and Subban). This is one of those drafts where pretty much any team who needs a goalie is drafting pretty early, earlier than those guys should be picked. As such, I wonder if any will go first round this year. A team like say Chicago (18th overall pick) may grab one of those goalies if they want someone for 3-4 years from now, but I don't think so in this draft. The only surefire goalie I see is Vasilevski, and being Russian could make him fall to the 2nd round quite easily.

And yes, I can see DL drafting another goalie this year, especially if he's planning on dealing Bernier (assuming Quick signs long-term of course) and Zatkoff walks (which I expect him to). We'd have Quick and likely Jones in LA, Berube in Manchester and that'd be it for the pro ranks. Possibly Jones stays in Manchester for a full season as the undisputed number one and Berube does the same with the Reign. Gibson in juniors would be all as well. I expect DL to grab a goalie, and he could draft one high again if he flips the first for an additional pick in the 2nd/3rd round.

Finally, it should be worth noting that even if LA wins the cup, I doubt they'll have the 30th pick. NJ has to forfeit a pick in the next few drafts due to the Kovalchuk thing, and I'd expect them to do so this year, especially if they make the finals, meaning LA would be drafting 29th at the lowest, even if they win the cup.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:11 AM
SuperAlmeida

This!

Quote:
No. 46
BRIAN HART
POSITION: Right Wing
SHOOTS: Right
TEAM: Phillips Exeter (USHS)
BORN: November 25, 1993
VITALS: 6’-2” / 215 Lbs
STATS: 29 GP 31 G 34 A 65 PTS 20 PIM
SCOUTING REPORT: A big power winger who utilizes his size and strength over his op- ponents to the fullest advantage. He skates well with both decent straight line speed and strong balance. He is surprisingly quick on his feet for such a big, and still grow- ing, body. He is strong on the puck down low and dominates in puck battles. He creates havoc for defenders by coming off the wall and driving to the net with the puck like a bull in a china shop. His wrist shot is one of the hardest in the entire draft and he can rifle it with little time and space. He has nice vision and makes solid, heady passes.
He is very smart and uses every advantage he has to his benefit. He could use a lot
of work in his defensive game. He has good hockey sense and knows where to be on the ice in each situation. He has strong leadership skills, on-ice intensity and a good work ethic that forces others to follow the example he sets. He is Harvard bound this coming fall where concern about his further development is raised. He possesses All- American soccer skills and has had plenty of scholarship offers for that sport before deciding a hockey career would be his aim.
NHL POTENTIAL: Top nine power forward.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:18 PM
SuperAlmeida

Trade Down:

I'm not sure if we could get the same return, but if it's possible, then DL seriously should consider it:

Quote:
"The Chicago Blackhawks have acquired the 35th and 58th overall selections in the 2010 National Hockey League Entry Draft from the New York Islanders in exchange for the 30th overall selection in the 2010 Draft. "

Old
05-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
This!
Brian Hart's scouting report sounds very similar to what scouts were saying about Dustin Brown in his draft year, but the big difference is that Brown was performing at a higher level in the OHL, whereas Hart is doing this against high school kids, which isn't at the same level as drafting someone from Canadian Juniors or College.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:44 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I think it's a safe assumption that CBJ will be taking the pick next year.

That said, I think Bernier + the pick might be the way to go at the draft.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I think it's a safe assumption that CBJ will be taking the pick next year.

That said, I think Bernier + the pick might be the way to go at the draft.
In order to move up to a higher spot and add more picks or to upgrade the roster?

I figure they could acquire a decent 1st round pick and maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick in exchange for Bernier (similar to the Varlamov trade). Then they could add more picks and replenish the depth in the system by moving their own 1st round pick for additional 2nd round picks.

The Kings could go from having one pick in the first three rounds to 4 picks. If they have their eyes on next years draft or the 2014 draft, they can acquire picks in those years instead.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:53 PM
damacles1156

I think DL will pick...wait for it.... A D-Man stay at home type. Scuds and Mitchell are getting long in the tooth...(Not sold on Muzzin personal opinion)

I just have this gut feeling.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:00 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
In order to move up to a higher spot and add more picks or to upgrade the roster?

I figure they could acquire a decent 1st round pick and maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick in exchange for Bernier (similar to the Varlamov trade). Then they could add more picks and replenish the depth in the system by moving their own 1st round pick for additional 2nd round picks.

The Kings could go from having one pick in the first three rounds to 4 picks. If they have their eyes on next years draft or the 2014 draft, they can acquire picks in those years instead.
Either one, but the picks are probably more realistic. I don't see them getting a big-time roster player for JB and a 1st.

But as you say, they could easily turn JB and that 1st into 4-6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:46 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

We can't really move up in the draft by packing our 1st in a deal. Columbus stills has the option on that pick and even though they are likely to wait until next year to exercise their option, they have all the way up until two picks before the Kings selection to make that decision and I see no reason why they wouldn't wait until then before deciding. As such, we have to hold onto our 1st this year until Columbus makes their decision, likely at pick 28. So, outside of trading up one or two spots, the Kings wouldn't be able to package their first this year in a deal to move up in the draft order.

Columbus however could and they may elect to take the pick and package it in a deal to move up and try to get two picks high in the draft. Heck, maybe they offer the 2nd overall and our pick for the 1st overall?

Old
05-28-2012, 11:11 AM
spudboy

No A berg in the first round. They already went that route once.

Closed Thread