HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laviolette

Old
05-09-2012, 02:52 AM
leaponover

vCash: 500
Laviolette

I am not being lazy. I tried to go back and do a search about when the Isles fired Laviolette but the matches with his name in the thread title didn't yield much help. I wasn't a member of this board or any back then and it always stumped me on what happened behind closed doors to lead to his firing. I know there are theories but did anyone on this board ever give legitimate evidence on what may have transpired? Watching the playoffs and seeing Laviolette handle this team fairly well with having two main pieces to the defense puzzle out with injuries makes me wonder what he did to get off the Island.

Can anyone shed some light on a long going mystery for me?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Janson
fireSNOW

Vaguely remember there being a split locker room back then, everyone basically hating on Yashin, Peca and his boy Blake kind of had bad attitudes about teammates. Alot of rumblings going on behind closed doors and I'm pretty sure Peter Laviolette was the fall guy for it. Lavi was a come out of nowhere Mass. success story that Garth is trying to replicate constantly, atleast we got a Bobblehead out of it.

This Org loves Bastin.

Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Riddick

there was a divisive locker room between peca and the NA players and yashin and the european/lazier players. MMM hedged his bets on yashin with that contract so there was no way yashin was going anywhere, and Peca and Lavy were actually very friendly off the ice, often had dinner with their families together. Lavy wanted the organization to side with the captain, instead they shipped him out and fired Laviolette. Probably one of the dumber mistakes they had made. It was an extremely unpopular decision here at the time. Some posters, like Trottier(i think) for example, used what Laviolette did in Carolina as justification of this. The rationalization was that he got the best out of his players in year one and they tuned him out in the subsequent years. As shown by philly thats pretty far from the truth.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote