HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joe Morrow Vs Martin Gernat

Old
05-11-2012, 12:07 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
This EDM-POR series is the only WHL action I have seen this season.. I dont see anything special in Morrow. How do you compare him to a guy like Pysyk? Both to me play a similar game. I dont see either one of them putting up big numbers in NHL.
Gernat is not well rounded but is flashier so stands out.
What do you mean? He plays a very pro-style game with a plus package of skills. He's 6'1" and 200+ lbs but still very lanky, has a lot of room to put on weight. He is a great skater, keep your eye on him he's very smooth and hits a top speed you probably won't see anywhere else in the WHL. On the boards his strength is very strong, he wins most of the battles and he has a nice, hard shot. He's not a hall-of-famer in the making, but he's definitely a good prospect. Good physical package and skills, he's not as cerebral as some but his game is based a lot on instincts. He's fast and can be explosive.

I think Morrow could put up decent numbers in the NHL, like Dennis Wideman kind of numbers, especially if he is on the Penguins, his totals could be inflated anywhere from 5-10 pts on a given year. I think Pysyk is going to play in the NHL, but the offense is going to disappear for him at the next level and he's going to concentrate on being a more defensive defender with great skating and a good stick - 20-25 points a year maybe.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:48 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Gernat's been very good. Very involved offensively and has been playing top end minutes in all situations. Really like him and all this time is great for his development.

With that being said, he's still not close to the level of prospect that Morrow is.
The stats would point other wise, Gernat is just learning the NA game and look what's he done. He could be a little more physical, but he's very good with the stick and is not one to take penalties. Morrow has had the benefit of NA coaching and training is whole life and his conditioning is used to the number of games played in the WHL, were with Gernat it was clearly not. He slow down some towards the end of the season, and he'll most likely play another year in the WHL due to this. It's close between the two now, but if Gernat had the same conditioning and another 10-20lbs, it wouldn't be close.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:50 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
The stats would point other wise, Gernat is just learning the NA game and look what's he done. He could be a little more physical, but he's very good with the stick and is not one to take penalties. Morrow has had the benefit of NA coaching and training is whole life and his conditioning is used to the number of games played in the WHL, were with Gernat it was clearly not. He slow down some towards the end of the season, and he'll most likely play another year in the WHL due to this. It's close between the two now, but if Gernat had the same conditioning and another 10-20lbs, it wouldn't be close.
Go ahead and look at the stats all you want.

I don't rely on only stats to predict the players going forward. I actually watch them play. Morrow has more offensive potential than Gernat does, in my opinion.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Morriw is better than Gernat, Pouliot, Pysyk...he's better than all these different guys he's compared to. His upside is higher and he's a safer pick. He's more well rounded than any of those guys.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Go ahead and look at the stats all you want.

I don't rely on only stats to predict the players going forward. I actually watch them play. Morrow has more offensive potential than Gernat does, in my opinion.
I also watch them, and I'll give you Morrow right now, and due to the team he plays on is a better offensively. But as a all around defenseman, Gernat is better, with more potential. Morrow I would say is a better PMD then Gernat, but that's it. I've watch Gernat all year and you see the flashes of brilliance that could make him a top pairing D, but like I said he needs to put on muscle. I must admit I've only seen Morrow play about number of times and he does look good offensively, but his defense needs work.

Then again with the players on that Portland squad, they could make a lot of players look good

Old
05-11-2012, 02:29 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
I also watch them, and I'll give you Morrow right now, and due to the team he plays on is a better offensively. But as a all around defenseman, Gernat is better, with more potential. Morrow I would say is a better PMD then Gernat, but that's it. I've watch Gernat all year and you see the flashes of brilliance that could make him a top pairing D, but like I said he needs to put on muscle. I must admit I've only seen Morrow play about number of times and he does look good offensively, but his defense needs work.

Then again with the players on that Portland squad, they could make a lot of players look good
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't normally rely on players draft spots to help my argument, but Morrow was a 1st rounder for a reason. I'll leave it at that.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:48 PM
wej20

hfboards hates good players who play with other good players.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I like Gernat... Really like him for where he was taken, plus he's started to make good defensive plays in his own end this series, he's getting better. Id still take Morrow 10/10 times though. I might've even taken him ahead of Klefbom if I was in their position.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:55 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't normally rely on players draft spots to help my argument, but Morrow was a 1st rounder for a reason. I'll leave it at that.
Some say Gernat could be the steal of the 2010 draft, and 1st rounders are know to bust. As I understand it the 2011 NHL draft outside the top 10 was rather weak and didn't Morrow go 23rd overall. Not a good bases for a discussion, but I'll agree to disagree.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:00 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
hfboards hates good players who play with other good players.
Some players stats are padded by playing with good players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I like Gernat... Really like him for where he was taken, plus he's started to make good defensive plays in his own end this series, he's getting better. Id still take Morrow 10/10 times though. I might've even taken him ahead of Klefbom if I was in their position.
+41 as a rookie in the WHL, I would say his defensive play has always been there, it's just getting better.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Joe Hallenback

Morrow is the better NHL prospect. He has a complete game already and will transition better initially to the NHL. Gernat is still a project. He needs alot of work on certain parts of his game and he still needs to grow into that body.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
wej20

Quote:
Some players stats are padded by playing with good players.

+41 as a rookie in the WHL, I would say his defensive play has always been there, it's just getting better.
I didn't realise Gernat was playing with schmucks.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Some say Gernat could be the steal of the 2010 draft, and 1st rounders are know to bust. As I understand it the 2011 NHL draft outside the top 10 was rather weak and didn't Morrow go 23rd overall. Not a good bases for a discussion, but I'll agree to disagree.
The Pens have been great at drafting and developing PMD. I think that says a lot more about Morrow than his draft position. He's playing great, almost NHL-ready.

I don't know much about Gernat. I feel like you're severely underrating Morrow in this thread, however.

But it's all up in the air, we won't know how either of them will pan out for a little while at least.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
Who do u like more, Gernat or Marincin?
Good question. Marancin has one year more development. Gernat had far better offensive numbers but his team scored 80 more goals.

Marancin looked more assertive in their U20 pairing for Team Slovak. I think he's slightly a better prospect in all facets with a nod to Gernat more inclined to push the play offensively vs. Marancin being a shooter.

Mirror images but a slight edge to Marancin for being a bit more grittier and better defensively. Both need to put on weight.

Nice draft and develop prospects.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Well, Gernat would still be taller and weigh more, but Morrow would still be able to play hockey better than him.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:24 AM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Well, Gernat would still be taller and weigh more, but Morrow would still be able to play hockey better than him.
How would gaining weight make him taller?

In the Portland-Edmonton series, Morrow has been ouplayed by Gernat no question. Try to make sense next time...

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilyJet View Post
How would gaining weight make him taller?

In the Portland-Edmonton series, Morrow has been ouplayed by Gernat no question. Try to make sense next time...
Size (height and weight) is the only advantage Gernat has over Morrow. Learn what the word "still" means. Try to utilize a higher degree of reading comprehension, please.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:50 AM
tv14

vCash: 50
Quote:
I used to like Marincin more, but Gernat has surpassed him in my books by a little bit. Maybe that's just because I've seen him so much more. I think Gernat might end up being better offensively while Marincin will play tougher in his own zone. Similar players though.
This is great news for the Oilers. IF they could both pan out, with one being better offensively and the other being better defensively and both being monsters, could you imagine that pairing... if only it were that easy!

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Morrow is the better NHL prospect. He has a complete game already and will transition better initially to the NHL. Gernat is still a project. He needs alot of work on certain parts of his game and he still needs to grow into that body.
Bang on Joe.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Brewster

Gernat is flashier, has great offensive instincts and pinches at the correct times. His defence is a bit of a gongshow sometimes.

Morrow isn't as active offensively, but is more well rounded and generally makes sound decisions.

At this point, Morrow is the superior prospect. This isn't really a fair comparison for Gernat, who may very well turn out to be a solid NHLer but right now is not on Morrow's level.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:32 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Size (height and weight) is the only advantage Gernat has over Morrow. Learn what the word "still" means. Try to utilize a higher degree of reading comprehension, please.
From the looks of things you've put your foot in your mouth. Morrow weighs 10-15lbs more then Gernat, but that is due to his conditioning and coaching he's had over that last couple of years. The biggest knock on Gernat is his weight, and if he had the same weight or muscle as Morrow, their would be no question who is better. If Gernat fills out he will be scary, because a man with his size, and caliber of shot, and skating ability would make Morrow look like a midget.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:36 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Gernat is flashier, has great offensive instincts and pinches at the correct times. His defence is a bit of a gongshow sometimes.

Morrow isn't as active offensively, but is more well rounded and generally makes sound decisions.

At this point, Morrow is the superior prospect. This isn't really a fair comparison for Gernat, who may very well turn out to be a solid NHLer but right now is not on Morrow's level.
The stats would state other wise of which is the more rounded D. Gernat just flashes a better skill potential. Please prove other wise!

Old
05-13-2012, 02:08 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Gernat is gushing with potential.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:47 AM
wej20

Quote:
The stats would state other wise of which is the more rounded D. Gernat just flashes a better skill potential. Please prove other wise!
Tyler Seguin was a +34 this year, does that mean he's one of the best defensive players in the league?

Old
05-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
From the looks of things you've put your foot in your mouth. Morrow weighs 10-15lbs more then Gernat, but that is due to his conditioning and coaching he's had over that last couple of years. The biggest knock on Gernat is his weight, and if he had the same weight or muscle as Morrow, their would be no question who is better. If Gernat fills out he will be scary, because a man with his size, and caliber of shot, and skating ability would make Morrow look like a midget.[
If Gernat currently weighs 191 lbs (per the WHL website) and he adds 20 lbs of muscle, he would weigh more than Morrow. Simple arithmetic, there. Thank goodness games are decided by how well the players can play the game of hockey and not by their size.

Gernat's an intriguing prospect, but he needs better conditioning and more work with his decision making, thus making Morrow the superior prospect.

P.S. How does one's shot and speed make someone else look like a midget? The term "midget" is relative to size, not speed or ability to shoot a hockey puck.