HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Pronger: (Interviewed at Flyers' practice on March 4, 2014)

Old
05-10-2012, 07:14 PM
flyersguy33*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
that's just a short term solution
and whats your point. When things dont go G's way he becomes a baby. Thats not what a captain does. Even if Timo gets it for one year, whats the big deal

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:45 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
and whats your point. When things dont go G's way he becomes a baby. Thats not what a captain does. Even if Timo gets it for one year, whats the big deal
So one instance in a series where the whole team looked like crap qualifies him as a baby. If you want to go that way, I could call him the greatest leader ever for his first shift in game 6 against the Pens then huh? He's a young guy who rips his heart out every night for this club, and I'd rather see that instead of a guy that looks like he doesn't care half of the time. For the record, I think Timonen should get the C in the case that Pronger can't return. It's not because I think Giroux isn't ready, it's that I believe Kimmo is still the leader of this club.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:23 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
damn, I want Jagr to stay
In a recent czech short interview, Jagr said he'd like to stay but that he feels Matt Carle's contract is management's priority right now. I wonder what he's up to...

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:31 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
So one instance in a series where the whole team looked like crap qualifies him as a baby. If you want to go that way, I could call him the greatest leader ever for his first shift in game 6 against the Pens then huh?
I could argue that it's guaranteed that Giroux won't always go out there and make a huge hit and score a goal, but you can't guarantee that he'll never act irrationally when calls don't go his way.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:27 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
I see what you're saying. Its the age thing. We're mostly referring to the Zubrus hit. I can see you're point of view but it is possible for him to grow further into the captain role. You can start off captain material with some faults and grow as time goes on. That's really the Crosby way. Even with a cup you can't tell me that Crosby is the perfect leader at 24 (my age). But he's by far the best option the Pens have. Nobody else would come close to leading that team. So I think that makes a case for Giroux, althougth I'm cool with either way.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
I could argue that it's guaranteed that Giroux won't always go out there and make a huge hit and score a goal, but you can't guarantee that he'll never act irrationally when calls don't go his way.
This is the first time in his entire career that he's done something remotely against the norm. It's a little bit of a leap to say that this kind of stuff will continue to happen on a regular basis. I'm shocked that anyone is questioning him after the season and playoffs he had.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
we'll be looking for a captain again the season after
Briere will be here for a few more years also.
I wasn't a fan of making Hartnell the captain when it was suggested on this boards, but it might help signing him to a cheaper contract after this season.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:12 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If he's signing for $5M that better be us. I'm thinking he'll get more than Wisniewski got last year.

If I'm reading it though, sounds like they're closer than we either think or want to think. Holmgren already said that his demands are reasonable. If they weren't close he would just say they're talking.

I'm thinking it's going to be a huge deal we give him. Like 8-10 years.
Cry...I'm really tired of the way he plays defense...if he does resign any Suter hope is gone. I really don't know how we get any better with the current roster.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Cry...I'm really tired of the way he plays defense...if he does resign any Suter hope is gone. I really don't know how we get any better with the current roster.
exactly.. resigning Carle is a huge problem to upgrading.. this current roster is not cutting it.. keeping Carle is a step towards "same ol same ol"..

cut the godam apron strings and move on.. both him and the Flyers..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I would feel much more comfortable with Manning/Gustaffson/Bourdon on the back end than I would with a 5 year vet. How sad is that.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:45 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
exactly.. resigning Carle is a huge problem to upgrading.. this current roster is not cutting it.. keeping Carle is a step towards "same ol same ol"..

cut the godam apron strings and move on.. both him and the Flyers..
The Flyers organization clearly has the exact opposite opinion than you.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 07:34 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
The Flyers organization clearly has the exact opposite opinion than you.
If Carle indeed turns into the Leino situation, what will be your response then?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
If Carle indeed turns into the Leino situation, what will be your response then?
its Bryz's fault of course..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:20 PM
toughfighter83*

if carle stays here and homer doesnt do anything to fix this defense im going to be pissed, i dont want carle here, im sick of his lazy play, i hope he does want more money, i want this cancer of a player gone.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:36 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Briere will be here for a few more years also.
I wasn't a fan of making Hartnell the captain when it was suggested on this boards, but it might help signing him to a cheaper contract after this season.
Usually, resigning someone with a C infers he has some sort of intangible the team values, and most other teams would covet, thus raising his value.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:54 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
On Bryzgalov "he had a lot of things to adapt to...the scrutiny of the media and fans...a different style of play. There's an adjustment period coming from a different organization. Kimmo went through it, Danny went through it. His job is to stop pucks and help win games. Not comedy central. He's a funny guy to talk to, he has interesting concepts on life but I know when to walk away and when I talk to him I say I have to go now."
hands down the best quote of the presser

bryz: hey paul, hows the GM thing going?
holmgren: its going good, what are u upto?
bryz: oh nothing, just working on a new magic trick, come here and ill show it to u
holmgren: i have to go now, goodbye ilya...

Old
05-12-2012, 12:05 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
They didn't do their due diligence -- at least not enough of it -- on Bryz from a personality standpoint, or they just didn't give that component of his makeup enough weight. That's what my gut has told me for awhile now, and I grow more convinced of it as time goes on. Trading for and signing him was a panic move, mandated from the owner.

Very troubling.
I can tell you for a fact there is no way they could, or SHOULD have factored personality into BryzSigning, lots of players are totally different ppl than on the ice, lots of ppl are quite jokers, but when its time to put on the skates, they get the job done. There isn't even a valid reason for saying his personality has affected his game, or his team. If anything, it helps to keep the mood light in the lockerroom and is good for team morale. We are going to have to live with BryzSigning, and we should give him until the end of next season to grade BryzSigning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Come on guys, he's not gonna sit up there and say, "Well Matt Carle blows. We hope we don't sign him."
"We haven't decided which we want to go with that yet, Matt has communicated with us that he would like to stay, however Defence is our primary focus this off-season, and we want to be very strict with the personnel and make-up of our D Corps this year."

Old
05-12-2012, 12:28 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Regarding Captaincy, it's clear Giroux should take the C. A team littered with talented rookies, you want someone who has some experience, but can still hang with them, someone who can bridge the gap, someone close enough in generation to them, that they feel they are capable of achieving his role too.

Arguably the best player in the NHL right now, top 5 forward definitely, you have Jagr saying he is destined to be a Legend, the Coach openly admits he is the best player. There is no denying his heart, the shift vs Pens, to do that takes so much skill and will, that is a Captain's play. He says all the right things in the interviews. Even when he was suspended, he remained in the media saying his team will win, he wasn't hopeful, or cautious like Richards would be to the media, he was confident and empowering. He even came out for the NJD handshake and led the team in the salute to the fans.

Pronger is a good coach's Captain, but at this point in his career, he can't be both a coach's and player's Captain, like Giroux can and will be for years.

This concussion seems like an underlying thing that was never diagnosed, a work-up of many years, where another one could seriously damage his brain. Moreso, than a usual concussion for a player.. It has come a little early, but now is the right time for him to step away. He knows his age, he now knows his health risk, he knows the trouble he causes the organization by constantly being in and out of the lineup.

I expect him to announce his stepping back for a long period of time (he can't retire, as his contract would screw our cap-hit over) this off-season, accepting RathjeLimbo, and cosign Giroux as the new Captain.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:22 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
if carle stays here and homer doesnt do anything to fix this defense im going to be pissed, i dont want carle here, im sick of his lazy play, i hope he does want more money, i want this cancer of a player gone.
The Carle hate is amazing. Cancer of a player?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:42 AM
goodrev

I think what they are trying to say is that Carle is not good defensively, as he is an offensive minded defenseman. He isn't good enough to really run the point on the PP, and he is not good enough to be a solid defender with a medium to good defender paired with him. Carle is made by his defensive partner, and is made better by playing with high level talent, not the other way around.

What I fear is that we are going to pay him over 4 Mill a year, which IMO he is not worth. (he is on the open market, but not to this team) I would take carle back at 3.1 Mill a year, but get a feeling he is going to command about 4.5-4.8 a year which is truly absurd.

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
This comment is so outlandish, I can't even begin to formulate a response.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I dont like Matt Carle as a player, but to call him a cancer is a bit much.
He still needs to go eslewhere tho

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Regarding Captaincy, it's clear Giroux should take the C. A team littered with talented rookies, you want someone who has some experience, but can still hang with them, someone who can bridge the gap, someone close enough in generation to them, that they feel they are capable of achieving his role too.

Arguably the best player in the NHL right now, top 5 forward definitely, you have Jagr saying he is destined to be a Legend, the Coach openly admits he is the best player. There is no denying his heart, the shift vs Pens, to do that takes so much skill and will, that is a Captain's play. He says all the right things in the interviews. Even when he was suspended, he remained in the media saying his team will win, he wasn't hopeful, or cautious like Richards would be to the media, he was confident and empowering. He even came out for the NJD handshake and led the team in the salute to the fans.

Pronger is a good coach's Captain, but at this point in his career, he can't be both a coach's and player's Captain, like Giroux can and will be for years.

This concussion seems like an underlying thing that was never diagnosed, a work-up of many years, where another one could seriously damage his brain. Moreso, than a usual concussion for a player.. It has come a little early, but now is the right time for him to step away. He knows his age, he now knows his health risk, he knows the trouble he causes the organization by constantly being in and out of the lineup.

I expect him to announce his stepping back for a long period of time (he can't retire, as his contract would screw our cap-hit over) this off-season, accepting RathjeLimbo, and cosign Giroux as the new Captain.
It doesn't hurt to wait a few years. As unpopular as this may be, Giroux is a complainer/whiner. He isn't anywhere near the level Crosby was when he first came into the league, but when things don't go his way, he plays frustrated. Although this can result in a positive, it can also end up like the Zubrus situation.

We made the mistake last time of giving the captaincy to Richards too early. There's no rush to give it to Giroux. Give it to Kimmo, let him keep it for a year or two, and then hand it over to Giroux.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post

This so much. It would definitely be a benefit to have a young captain on a team where the majority of the players are in their teens to early twenties. He seems like more of a friend to the younger guys, i.e. living with Brayden Schenn, Coots coming over to watch the game at his apartment (24/7), etc. A little different than someone like Prongs or Kimmo, who go home to their families and kids after the game.

Quote:
This comment is so outlandish, I can't even begin to formulate a response.
Seriously. I applaude Carle's love for this organization, but if he ever came on these boards or checked Twitter regularly, he would pack his bags and run for the nearest paycheck, no matter the amount. I think he's the most hated player on this team since Leighton.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:05 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
It doesn't hurt to wait a few years. As unpopular as this may be, Giroux is a complainer/whiner. He isn't anywhere near the level Crosby was when he first came into the league, but when things don't go his way, he plays frustrated. Although this can result in a positive, it can also end up like the Zubrus situation.

We made the mistake last time of giving the captaincy to Richards too early. There's no rush to give it to Giroux. Give it to Kimmo, let him keep it for a year or two, and then hand it over to Giroux.
With all do respect, Richards is not Giroux. Richards NEVER liked to be in the spotlight, not even before we gave him the C. I am positive if they gave Richards the C in LA in a couple years (it won't happen, but hypothetical here), he would be the same Captain he was in Philly, regardless of age. They both have heart and skill, but everything I see in Giroux outside of that, is quite the opposite of Richards.

Just because we had a bad try with giving the C to a young player recently, doesn't mean there aren't a WHOLE lot of young, successful, able Captains throughout the league, and throughout history. We shouldn't shy away from a good opportunity because Richie couldn't handle it.