HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wideman as a temporary fill if Suter Jets?

Old
05-11-2012, 10:27 AM
ilikeblocks

vCash: 500
Wideman as a temporary fill if Suter Jets?

Wideman might be available for around 3.5 million - he's a defensive liability (and no Ryan Suter), but he might be the 2nd best UFA defenseman on the market. Do the preds make a play for him as a stopgap if Suter leaves as a UFA?

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:31 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Wideman might be available for around 3.5 million - he's a defensive liability (and no Ryan Suter), but he might be the 2nd best UFA defenseman on the market. Do the preds make a play for him as a stopgap if Suter leaves as a UFA?
If\when Suter leaves, we're going to need someone that's far more reliable defensively than Wideman. If our fans got on Zidlicky and continue to astonishingly get on Klein, I can't even imagine the whippings Wideman would take.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:38 AM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
If\when Suter leaves, we're going to need someone that's far more reliable defensively than Wideman. If our fans got on Zidlicky and continue to astonishingly get on Klein, I can't even imagine the whippings Wideman would take.
Would Gill stay?

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Would Gill stay?
This. If Suter does leave I think we're more likely to see the team try to retain Gill's services and count on the growth of Josi and Ellis along with hoping to see Blum get back on track. They might look for another depth defenseman but I don't think they'll try to bring in another top-four guy.

Weber-Klein
Gill-Josi
Ellis-Blum perhaps? Maybe Ellis-Bouillon or something like that.

MrJoshua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:52 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
This. If Suter does leave I think we're more likely to see the team try to retain Gill's services and count on the growth of Josi and Ellis along with hoping to see Blum get back on track. They might look for another depth defenseman but I don't think they'll try to bring in another top-four guy.

Weber-Klein
Gill-Josi
That is a very weak defense. Outside of Weber, all of those guys struggle with consistency.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Ekholm could make the team next year too.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:02 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
That is a very weak defense. Outside of Weber, all of those guys struggle with consistency.
Agreed, if suts bolts we need to make a move for a solid veteran defenseman. None of the possibly available ufa's are gonna do it IMO.

Although I do agree that weber, Klein, Ellis and Josi are all guaranteed spots next season in Nashville.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

If Suter wants to go to Philly, how about we try to get Timonen from them if the price is right...

Or another Philly dman who I believe is UFA, Carle?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:09 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
If Suter wants to go to Philly, how about we try to get Timonen from them if the price is right...

I can see Philly and Pittsburgh getting in a huge bidding war for Suter. Hopefully we can get something out of his rights, especially if we add a little.

I'd like to see Timonen back however he's on his last leg. We can not play him as a top paring defenseman but would be a good top 4.

He has a NTC clause but may be willing to waive to go to Nashville. His cap hit is 6.3m but his actual pay is only 3m. Philly needs to shed his cap hit if they plan to add players like Suter or whoever. Kimmo has some trade value but I don't think a lot at this point in his career.

Last edited by dulzhok: 05-11-2012 at 05:20 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:05 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

I've been wondering about Carle as well. Is he a top pairing possibility or do we just move Josi up there with Weber and put Carle on the 2nd pairing with Klein?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Legionnaire11

I'd move Josi up and put Carle on the 2nd pair.

I just have a feeling that Josi is the one who will break the mold and actually improve in his second season rather than suffer the sophomore slump (Blum, Ellis)

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:57 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I'd move Josi up and put Carle on the 2nd pair.

I just have a feeling that Josi is the one who will break the mold and actually improve in his second season rather than suffer the sophomore slump (Blum, Ellis)
Don't write Ellis off just yet as a soph slump, he hasn't started his soph season yet. And I agree, Josi looks poised to stay on track to be a good/great 1st pairing dman.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:31 AM
NoNecksCurse

carle will be overpaid as an UFA. don't count on him, thats not how poile rolls

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:04 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post

Weber-Klein
Gill-Josi
I think you are correct, except Ellis-Blum. I wouldn't play those two together. One of them with Bouillon, the other is the #7 defenseman. Cube brings the size, hitting and toughness that the other two lack. That is why they wouldn't be good together.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I would love Wideman on the Preds, but not to replace Suter. I don't want him anywhere near the 1st pairing.

Sure he'll bring alot of offense but he's a defensive liability. Even if Shea covers his ass, that handcuffs Shea's offensive ability.

I'd rather stick Klein in that spot over Wideman. I love Kleiner he reminds me of Dan Girardi.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:34 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The question I have been wrestling with is this...

If Suter leaves do we need a top pairing defenseman, or a second pairing defenseman who is reliable enough to eat up ~20 minutes per night?

Josi looked good, but so did Blum. Blum could always rebound. Josi could struggle, or he could excel. The gamble is do you need to replace Suter via trade/free agency, or if you need to replace Josi?

It's a very tough call to make. Seems like the easiest solution is to just re-sign Suter

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:26 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
The question I have been wrestling with is this...

If Suter leaves do we need a top pairing defenseman, or a second pairing defenseman who is reliable enough to eat up ~20 minutes per night?

Josi looked good, but so did Blum. Blum could always rebound. Josi could struggle, or he could excel. The gamble is do you need to replace Suter via trade/free agency, or if you need to replace Josi?

It's a very tough call to make. Seems like the easiest solution is to just re-sign Suter
The difference is that Josi is a different type of dman than either Blum or Ellis. They are more offensive, Josi is more all around. He is agile, good with the puck, and pretty solid on his D play. I would almost play Josi on the 1st pairing with Weber and find a solid 2nd pairing dman to play with Klein. But we might be able to do that with Hal Gill which would be just fine with me. I'm not sold on bringing Bouillon back. I do think however, as much as most don't agree, that we will bring Hillen back and he should be able to play much more on the 3rd pairing. Atleast until Eckholm is called up. I think we re-sign Gill, or go after Carle preferably. However, all of this is waived off if Suter does stay.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:39 PM
thrillhous

Wideman will be getting more than 4 million, that's what he was making on his last contract.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
carle will be overpaid as an UFA. don't count on him, thats not how poile rolls
outside of Suter, he's the best option on the free agent market.

We're not looking to fill Bouillon's spot...we need someone capable of 25 minutes a night. I don't think Josi's ready for that yet, and even if you re-sign Gill, he's surely not, either.

A typical Poile-like acquisition of Jack Hillen won't cut it, if Suter leaves. Carle will be cheaper than Suter (say, 4.5-5 million,) and if you can get him for 3 or so years, I think you have to do it.