HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate your Habs players

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2006, 07:39 PM
MEGALINSKY

vCash: 500
Rate your Habs players

Being one of the unfortunate ones who can only listen to games, I was wondering if anyone can give a grade (yes, like in school) based on our players performances thus far. I would think that the only person who deserves an "A+" would be Huet. I also understand that we have a better record with Markov in the lineup, but has he really been the difference in those wins?

Old
03-22-2006, 09:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I'll give it a shot based on their play over the season.

Goalies

Theodore- F nuff said

Huet- A played much better then expected imo has been great at times but might be starting to tire a bit perhaps.

Abby- no grade from 2 games but I'm not impressed so far

Danis- B in his limited time he looked solid

Defense

Markov- A teams MVP has been great at both ends imo

Rivet- B+ to me he's having a very strong season, not very skilled but works hard

Souray- B+ started off poorly but has really turned it around

Bouillon- B- started off strongly but has slowed down as the season wears on

Komisarek- B- struggled most of the year but also has show a lot of improvement lately. What I like is that his passing seems to be getting better, not seeing the panic passing

Dandy- C- not a big fan of his play this season, seems to struggle understanding the new rules and at times struggles covering his man in the crease.

Streit- C- I seem to like him more then most but he seems too weak to contain his man down low or in the crease. Like his offense though at times

Simpson- no grade yet, was ok in his 1st game, not so ok in his 2nd

Cote- B played a safe and simple game when he was here

Forwards

Koivu- B Not a good season for the most part imo and I'm one of his bigger fans

Kovalev- B+ leading scorer, has been solid most of the season

Begin- B- has slowed down offensively but still love the way he plays

Ryder- B- has struggled at times this year but does lead the team in goals by a wide margin

Ribeiro- B- has turned things around but still is too weak and not creating more with his slick passing. struggled early in the season to score even strength

Bulis- B- imo he's produced more then I expected

Zednik- C- has really struggled to score for long periods often has been useless

Bonk- D has been good on the PK but is not creating much of any offense

Sundstrom- C- just doesn't seem to have the gas to be effective but always thought he was a good PKer and passer, hasn't had a good season though

Higgins- B+ has been inconsistent in his production but got to love the way he plays

Plekanec- B+ his production has slowed down but I like his game and he's been good on the PK

Perezhogin- D++ very disappointed in him cause he has the skills imo to be more effective. His lack of strength has hurt him and he's taken some really lazy penalities.

Murray- C+ other then a lack of production he's been very solid, works hard, hits, and decent on the PK, good energy guy

Downey- C- not a big fan of his but he works hard and takes the body

Last edited by montreal: 03-23-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old
03-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Pierre Mcguire was 100% right about Radek Bonk, he was quoted saying " he is very lazy and montreal will be very dissapointed."

Old
03-22-2006, 10:01 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Zednik
Pierre Mcguire was 100% right about Radek Bonk, he was quoted saying " he is very lazy and montreal will be very dissapointed."

He's been good for our PK but 2 goals is a freaking nightmare. I thought he'd have 10-12 easy. never cared for him but thought it would be good to have a big center.

Old
03-22-2006, 10:39 PM
MEGALINSKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Murray- C+ other then a lack of production he's been very solid, works hard, hits, and decent on the PK, good energy guy
yeah, but did we get him for his scoring prowess? seems to me that he's living up to his potential...

Old
03-23-2006, 12:48 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGALINSKY
yeah, but did we get him for his scoring prowess? seems to me that he's living up to his potential...

true but you still want everyone to contribute more offense. Personally I'm very happy with him and have been since I heard we got him in a trade for Hossa.

Old
03-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Great job montreal. I generally agree with the majority of your rankings.

Quote:

Kovalev- B+ leading scorer, has been solid most of the season
For me, Kovalev has been quite frankly an enigma. At times, he shows absolute flashes of brilliance, and has the ability to win games by himself (like he did against Ottawa one night), but he leaves a lot to be desired. For that reason, I find the B+ grade somewhat generous. While he does lead the team offensively, he has been extremely inconsistent, and it becomes frustrating to see him go through the motions several nights, when you know that he has all the ability in the world to take over. For that reason, I would give him a B-, perhaps a little too harsh, but I just feel that he needs to show us more. I think the surgery may have slowed him down a bit in the end, because this isn't really the same Kovalev we had at the beginning.

Quote:

Ryder- B- has struggled at times this year but does lead the team in goals by a wide margin
Like Kovalev, Ryder has also been an enigma. He does lead the team in goals, and when you simply look at the number, it isn't that bad. It just seems to me that he had far more influence on a game last season than he does this season. I think privately, the Canadiens are somewhat disappointed in Ryder, even though he leads the team in goals. I agree with your grade though, as you can't fault a guy when he does lead our team in goals.

Quote:
Zednik- C- has really struggled to score for long periods often has been useless
I honestly think a C for Zednik is generous. He has been a bust this season, as much as it pains me to say it, since Zed is one of my favourite players. He isn't generating the type of chances he used to generate on a nightly basis in the past; the type of chances that are created from his strong, lower body skating ability. Prior to this year, I viewed Zednik as a poor man's power forward, who would use his strength to win battles. Unfortunately, we have seen far too few instances of that. His point totals reflect that. It seems like he has lost a step, and has a great deal of difficulty in beating players one on one. I thought that Zednik would score 40 goals one day (biased probably, but if you watch highlights of him in the past, he certainly did get the chances) but it is looking less likely that he ever will. I'm sure Gainey isn't pleased either, as he was supposed to be relied upon to provide some scoring. He hasn't, so I would give him a D (not an F, since he has shown up in SOME games)

Otherwise, I agree with most of your assessments. I really do think that Higgins and Plekanec have shown great promise, and will be solid NHLers in the future. Even if we miss the playoffs, I can take some solace in that. Both have shown a willingness to play a gritty game if required, and I think that will come handy for our team at some point down the road.

Old
03-23-2006, 01:44 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Great job montreal. I generally agree with the majority of your rankings.

For me, Kovalev has been quite frankly an enigma. At times, he shows absolute flashes of brilliance, and has the ability to win games by himself (like he did against Ottawa one night), but he leaves a lot to be desired. For that reason, I find the B+ grade somewhat generous. While he does lead the team offensively, he has been extremely inconsistent, and it becomes frustrating to see him go through the motions several nights, when you know that he has all the ability in the world to take over. For that reason, I would give him a B-, perhaps a little too harsh, but I just feel that he needs to show us more. I think the surgery may have slowed him down a bit in the end, because this isn't really the same Kovalev we had at the beginning.

Like Kovalev, Ryder has also been an enigma. He does lead the team in goals, and when you simply look at the number, it isn't that bad. It just seems to me that he had far more influence on a game last season than he does this season. I think privately, the Canadiens are somewhat disappointed in Ryder, even though he leads the team in goals. I agree with your grade though, as you can't fault a guy when he does lead our team in goals.

I honestly think a C for Zednik is generous. He has been a bust this season, as much as it pains me to say it, since Zed is one of my favourite players. He isn't generating the type of chances he used to generate on a nightly basis in the past; the type of chances that are created from his strong, lower body skating ability. Prior to this year, I viewed Zednik as a poor man's power forward, who would use his strength to win battles. Unfortunately, we have seen far too few instances of that. His point totals reflect that. It seems like he has lost a step, and has a great deal of difficulty in beating players one on one. I thought that Zednik would score 40 goals one day (biased probably, but if you watch highlights of him in the past, he certainly did get the chances) but it is looking less likely that he ever will. I'm sure Gainey isn't pleased either, as he was supposed to be relied upon to provide some scoring. He hasn't, so I would give him a D (not an F, since he has shown up in SOME games)

Otherwise, I agree with most of your assessments. I really do think that Higgins and Plekanec have shown great promise, and will be solid NHLers in the future. Even if we miss the playoffs, I can take some solace in that. Both have shown a willingness to play a gritty game if required, and I think that will come handy for our team at some point down the road.

I agree with Kovalev it's hard to grade him cause he has so much talent but the frustrating thing is when he tries to go through 3-4 guys, does but then loses the puck. I thought it would be a huge year for him, 25-30 goals, 70 pts but the injury effected his game and there's no telling what this compacted schedule has effected the players.

Ryder at least he goes to the net and I mean the front of the net, unlike Zednik who has the obession to go behind the net. Ryder I expected a little more from in terms of production but it's his play without the puck that has been shaky.

Zednik I gave a C- and perhaps that was too high cause he's been one of the biggest disappointments imo. I expected a 25+ goal season from him and 50 pts. He has looked better of late but boy has he struggled this year.

I also like what I've seen from Higgins and Pleks. Perezhogin I hope can rebound next year but at least we have Higgins, who may never be known for his offense, but at worst he will be a very solid player for us. Plekanec I think he can pick up the offense and both of them have been a treat to watch on the PK.

Old
03-23-2006, 02:15 AM
Slick Nick

D for Perezhogin.. you must have expected too much from him. The kid acumulated points on the first line and on the PP, then was relegated to a 6 mins a game/no PP icetime... Played well most of the time.

Old
03-23-2006, 02:21 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
D for Perezhogin.. you must have expected too much from him. The kid acumulated points on the first line and on the PP, then was relegated to a 6 mins a game/no PP icetime... Played well most of the time.

I did expect a lot more then the other rookies for sure. I thought he would be around 15 goals, 30 pts. But it's not just the lack of production. He's been brutal at times this season and when you are known for your offensive skills but don't create much of any offense in 2-3 months, that's bad. I think he's looked better out there, and he likely has really suffered a lack of confidence. Plus I read an article where he was talking about how much the Stafford thing still haunts him, which could also be effecting his game.

To me he's been a huge disappointment. His lack of strength is a big concern and I do worry that he may chose not to come back next year. I really want to see him with the team next year, having a great season on the top line with Kovalev. Now if they could just put Kovalev at center, Kostitsyn Kovalev Perezhogin would be a force!

And it was a D+. Just for you I'll change it to a D++

Old
03-23-2006, 02:28 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
I did expect a lot more then the other rookies for sure. I thought he would be around 15 goals, 30 pts. But it's not just the lack of production. He's been brutal at times this season and when you are known for your offensive skills but don't create much of any offense in 2-3 months, that's bad. I think he's looked better out there, and he likely has really suffered a lack of confidence. Plus I read an article where he was talking about how much the Stafford thing still haunts him, which could also be effecting his game.

To me he's been a huge disappointment. His lack of strength is a big concern and I do worry that he may chose not to come back next year. I really want to see him with the team next year, having a great season on the top line with Kovalev. Now if they could just put Kovalev at center, Kostitsyn Kovalev Perezhogin would be a force!

And it was a D+. Just for you I'll change it to a D++

out of towners.... ( I put one smilee, want more????????)

that's better

Last edited by montreal: 03-23-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old
03-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Slick Nick

watch your back at the next prospect camp... uhm, uhm, assumin' you're going to be there....

I spit hair.

Last edited by montreal: 03-23-2006 at 02:54 AM.
Old
03-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Slick Nick

Poor, poor, poor Dan.. you're a cat lover, aren't you?

ok, I'm drunk nuff.. night people

Old
03-23-2006, 03:24 AM
MEGALINSKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
i agree with you... as much as this season has been exciting and depressing at times, i'm happy that i think we are moving in the right direction. alright, so we didnt get production from some of our big guns, but the future does look bright. higgins, plecks, perezhogin, and the countless other prospects we have that COULD make the team next year is a great consolation

Closed Thread