HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brandon Gormley to Edmonton

Old
05-12-2012, 09:12 PM
RyanCallahan24*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Ekman Larsson
You'd have to add since you want the new Lidström. Not my words btw. Alot, and I mean alot of sportbroadcasters have compared them. They play alot alike. And OEL is only 20. OEL is untouchable atm. You'd have to offer Eberle/RNH for him to get PHX to consider dealing him tbh.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:12 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
To give a point of reference for MPS value, here are some forwards who scored at the pace as MPS as an 18 year old in the Swedish Elite league:

Anze Kopitar
Sedin's
Zetterberg
Dude, no need to get all defensive about MPS, he might still pan out, it's just that you will not get other teams to bet their best prospects on his panning out right now without some hell of a better incentive.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:14 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
To give a point of reference for MPS value, here are some forwards who scored at the pace as MPS as an 18 year old in the Swedish Elite league:

Anze Kopitar
Sedin's
Zetterberg

we can play this game all day, the fact is neither Gormley or MPS has proven a thing except that they have some elite characteristics that might make them great players one day...

gormley is a great prospect but seriously, asking for eberle or hall to be involved.... really?

MPS is overrated. I should know I've seen him ALOT playing in the national teams, SEL and some Oilers game. He might become a 30+30 player in his prime. I think he won't get that good. 40-50 point player with nice defensive skills maybe. He's no star in the making IMHO.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:19 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:

Anze Kopitar
Sedin's
Zetterberg

we can play this game all day, the fact is neither Gormley or MPS has proven a thing except that they have some elite characteristics that might make them great players one day...

gormley is a great prospect but seriously, asking for eberle or hall to be involved.... really?
It's not some game. MPS looked freaking terrible this year. Terrible. He looks like he's a possible bust. Gormley does not – that's what he did this year. Who cares how MPS scored or was ranked two years ago? Are you really going to pretend a prospect's value is frozen at its highest level?

I'm not asking for Eberle or Hall to be involved, never said anything like it, I'm not trying to build an offer from Edmonton, so I don't know what you're asking me. I'm saying that an offer for Gormley around MPS is not in the ballpark. I'm a Blues fan who wants Gormley and I don't think we could get him straight up for Stewart and Stewart >>> MPS at this point, even with Stewart's bad year. A bad year does affect value. Look at Stewart's drop in value over a year. It affects a never-established prospect like MPS all the more. If you want Gormley from Phoenix, I don't know what Edmonton has to offer but it sure as heck isn't MPS.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54roughing View Post
only way i see Gormley in edmonton is if Hall, Nugent Hopkins or Eberle are moving for him, maybe not straight up mind you but phoenix wont move him for a package of lesser pieces
short answer: no
long answer: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!

Hall>>>>Gormley
RNH>>>>Gormley
Eberle>>>>Gormley

If you want any of the three, you'd have to include Ekman Larsson.

The most I'd give up for Gormley would be Gagner+Paajarvi or something.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:30 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
only way i see Gormley in edmonton is if Hall, Nugent Hopkins or Eberle are moving for him, maybe not straight up mind you but phoenix wont move him for a package of lesser pieces
oh here we go again!!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Icebreakers

Yandle , OEL, Gormley , for Nuge , 1st and klefbom. LOL

Icebreakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:35 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
oh here we go again!!
Before acting overdramatic give a good reason why Phoenix would trade Gormley.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Because he likely wont be playing in their top pairing anytime soon with OEL and Yandle locking the spots down. Phoenix also doesn't have many good young forwards coming in, and with guys like Whitney and Doan on the downswing, they'll need replacements soon.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:52 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
give us a good reason why, of all d-men we would trade for, it would be Brandon Gormley? then Oiler fans have to hear more BS about him being packaged in a deal involving RNH/Hall/Eberle because he's suddenly too valuable to be traded for anyone on the Oilers straight up. like i said, here we go again!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:00 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Because he likely wont be playing in their top pairing anytime soon with OEL and Yandle locking the spots down. Phoenix also doesn't have many good young forwards coming in, and with guys like Whitney and Doan on the downswing, they'll need replacements soon.
This is true. The reason Gormley might be available is how well stocked Phoenix already is, particularly on the left side. Of course, they might not want to trade him immediately, it's not like they're under pressure. But if they do trade him it's to rebalance their organizational strength toward their forwards.

The key think most in this thread aren't grasping is that there's a market for that kind of impact prospect and you have to spend more than everyone else to get Phoenix to want to make the trade. The Edmonton offers so far aren't enough. It's not like saying they HAVE to trade for this one specific guy if they'd have to give up too much, but in a thread asking what his value is to Edmonton they can't just pretend there aren't other teams interested, that there's no market. Blues fans have been talking about Gormley all year due to the longstanding hunt for a two-way LHD to be part of the core, and I'm sure lots of other teams would be interested. The kid's a great prospect.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Why would phoenix trade him?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:31 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

If PHX moves a Dman, it will be Rundblad, not Gormley.

A core of OEL, Yandle, Gormley & Connor Murphy could be the best in the NHL in 5 years.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
We don't have a log jam of defensemen, we have nice prospect depth at the position. Huge difference.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
If PHX moves a Dman, it will be Rundblad, not Gormley.

A core of OEL, Yandle, Gormley & Connor Murphy could be the best in the NHL in 5 years.
Not if Gormley gets a bigger return, which is the case.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
It's not some game. MPS looked freaking terrible this year. Terrible. He looks like he's a possible bust. Gormley does not – that's what he did this year. Who cares how MPS scored or was ranked two years ago? Are you really going to pretend a prospect's value is frozen at its highest level?
You were the guy who dropped the WJC list, the other poster dropped a similar list to show how little bearing the name association really holds. Are you really going to act like a day trader and pretend Paajarvi's stock goes up and down on a daily basis like currency?

He struggled this year, no doubt, but is he the first young player ever to hit the sophomore slump? For whatever reason it happens, and has happened to such players as Iginla, Bertuzzi, Briere and Doan to name a few.

Some parts of his game were ugly (creativity and decision making in the offensive zone), but what else changed to suddenly make him such a poor prospect?

- He's still a very responsible defensive player.

- He's still got an excellent combination of size and speed.

The remainder of his game is about average, but I don't see why he couldn't become a Milan Michalek type of player. Either way, I'd hardly call him a write off.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:13 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
You were the guy who dropped the WJC list, the other poster dropped a similar list to show how little bearing the name association really holds. Are you really going to act like a day trader and pretend Paajarvi's stock goes up and down on a daily basis like currency?

He struggled this year, no doubt, but is he the first young player ever to hit the sophomore slump? For whatever reason it happens, and has happened to such players as Iginla, Bertuzzi, Briere and Doan to name a few.

Some parts of his game were ugly (creativity and decision making in the offensive zone), but what else changed to suddenly make him such a poor prospect?

- He's still a very responsible defensive player.

- He's still got an excellent combination of size and speed.

The remainder of his game is about average, but I don't see why he couldn't become a Milan Michalek type of player. Either way, I'd hardly call him a write off.
LOL yeah, I brought up the list to give an indication of where Gormley stands in terms of value right now. He's an elite defensive prospect. This very site has him one of the top ten and only has Doug Hamilton in front of him. He's an absolute blue chip defensive prospect.

MPS is no longer considered a blue chip forward prospect. We can debate the reasons why, and you can get upset with me if you want but let me put it this way, I sure wouldn't trade anything form the Blues to get MPS but I'd be very interested to get Gormley. They are in very different categories at this point. MPS could completely rebound, sure. But we're having this conversation not in some theoretical future but right now. Please, the fact that Oilers fans put MPS into so many deals speaks for itself. You guys suspect he's a bust too and you hope you can get something for him.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Rschmitz

Pretty sure every team in the league could beat what the Edmonton fans in this thread are offering for Gormley. He's still just a prospect though, and prospects are typically dealt in a package, not the other way around. Would love to have him on the Lightning.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:15 AM
oilwings

Gagner + 3rd + LA 3rd for Gormley.

oilwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:17 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreakers View Post
Not if Gormley gets a bigger return, which is the case.
No reason for us to trade any of them.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Whoyawit*

Quote:
So you decided to go there hey bud?
You are so far off regarding any sense of reality that I feel you should impose a ban on yourself taking away your ability to post such junk.
A truly embarrasing rebuttal.

Whoyawit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Icebreakers

No but seriously , would any logical fan do this trade? Yandle , OEL, Gormley , for Nuge , 1st(Yakupov) and klefbom.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:46 AM
DesertDawg

Don't see why the Coyotes would trade an asset like Gormley just to have a logjam on the left side. And seeing a post about Doan and Whitney being on the downside of their careers when they are having a playoff run...

No reason to trade Gormley unless if the returns will be an overpayment for his potential...
Paajarvi may get Sclemko, but not for a top prospect that they can send down to the AHL without going through waivers if needed (kinda like what they did with Oliver in his first year).

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:55 AM
PAZ

So the answer to why Phoenix would trade Gormley is because they have a very strong organizational depth at defense, and their forwards could use improving. While that may be, they're still in the conference finals right now. So why exactly would they trade him right now when their team is on a good run this year, Gormley has been developing and is only getting better?

MPS isn't even the starting point. I'm not even a Phoenix fan, and it's quite obvious he's worth quite a bit. Too be honest, i'd rate him as a top 5 d prospect. Add that to the fact Phoenix has done an exceptional job at developing defenseman so far and it's easily a no brainer that they keep him unless it's a massive overpayment.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Now you want OEL and gormley? Keep dreaming
No. I think (s)he's saying that if you want Nail then you give up OEL.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote