HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECF: Rangers Vs Devils

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 02:41 AM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Devils have had a cakewalk in both of their series. It took them 7 games to beat the worst playoff team of the past 10 years, and they beat a Philly team that didn't like to play defense.

Of course they're all high and mighty. They haven't been tested yet. I'm 100% confident that the Caps or Senators would have taken down the Devils. We've already beaten better teams this playoffs than the Devils.

Rangers in 6.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:42 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Flyers are also a relatively slower team than the Rangers...they are more skilled, but i think our forwards are much faster. Hagelin and Kreider will give the Devils defenseman fits with their forechecking pressure. Key is to take Brodeurs puck handling out of the equation. I crap on Uncle Daddy a lot, but he's probably the best puck handling goalie in the history of the game....definitely the best ive ever seen.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
This is right on point. The Devils rely on their strong forecheck. We do too, but we defend first. Better than anyone in the NHL. Their forecheck will not be the problem it was with Philly. And it could create some wide open hockey for us. More so than we have been seeing.

I don't see this going the distance, but it is a Rangers, Devils playoff match.
Could this become a run & gun series that could open up for us if the Devils' defense corps make mistakes in their coverage? That would be a relief, and our Fab Four (McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, and Del Zotto) are much more mobile to initiate the attack with good breakout passing and pinching ability.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:47 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Clarkson might be the key to the entire series. you figure the rangers know they have to control Parise, Kovalchuk, Henrique, Zajac and Elias...but a guy like Clarkson, playing the way he does, could have a "Chris Neil" type effect on this team.

Rangers just need to play smart.
Clarkson just reminds me a lot of Avery. I'm with you, we need to make sure he takes the stupid penalty instead of our guys.

Also, let's make this a more physical series. The Ottawa series was brutal, a lot of hitting after the whistle. Washington, not so much. If Kovalchuk and Parise are able to run around without getting touched like Ovechkin and Backstrom were for a good part of the series, we'll be in trouble.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:49 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Devils fans seem pretty confident. That's okay, I am too. Clarkson is going to a pain in the ass, so we need to force him into stupid penalties.

Rangers in 6.
We are. Team had numerous reasons to fold after the game 1 loss to the Flyers with the loss of Kovalchuk. But they came back, shelled Bryzgalov in the third, who played very well that game, and took the momentum for the rest of the series away. The insertion of Larsson's 15 mins a game was a godsend and took down the minutes of the Zidlicky, Salvador and Greene. Now Deboer has 3 pairs he can trust in a variety of situations, to go along with 4 lines he rolls regardless of situation. This is the deepest devil team in years and we may even see Josefson return.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
We are. Team had numerous reasons to fold after the game 1 loss to the Flyers with the loss of Kovalchuk. But they came back, shelled Bryzgalov, who played very well that game, and took the momentum for the rest of the series away. The insertion of Larsson's 15 mins a game was a godsend and took down the minutes of the Zidlicky, Salvador and Greene. Now Deboer has 3 pairs he can trust in a variety of situations, to go along with 4 lines he rolls regardless of situation. This is the deepest devil team in years and we may even see Josefson return.
i love coaches that roll 4 lines. it plays right into the hands of the team willing to play their best players the most.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:52 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
The Rangers had better batter the Devils relatively immobile D corps, improve their power play, and dominate the faceoffs if they want to receive the Prince of Wales Trophy as their ticket to the Stanley Cup Finals and raise this to the rafters of MSG in the 2012-13 Home Opener:
You got a peek at Tort's playbook? Lol.

Our D is more mobile and can move the puck more quickly, and more responsibly/smarter decisions. This could offset their forecheck.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Clarkson just reminds me a lot of Avery. I'm with you, we need to make sure he takes the stupid penalty instead of our guys.

Also, let's make this a more physical series. The Ottawa series was brutal, a lot of hitting after the whistle. Washington, not so much. If Kovalchuk and Parise are able to run around without getting touched like Ovechkin and Backstrom were for a good part of the series, we'll be in trouble.
Hagelin and Kreider can be the F1 guys to flush out the Devils' D. And "Crash Man" from BC has another advantage: He's BIG and FAST! I don't think we've had that type of power forward since Adam Graves in the early 90s - a battering ram who could easily hammer opponents into the Event-Level Suites with thunderous hits!!!

Fedotenko, Prust, and Boyle are also going to eat up the Devils' defensemen for dinner in the corners and along the boards with their strength & tenacity on the cycle!

This is becoming an increasingly promising series the more I analyze the teams' strengths and weaknesses...

Last edited by Blue Seat Spartan: 05-13-2012 at 03:00 AM. Reason: grammar fix
Old
05-13-2012, 02:59 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Debbies fans are the worst, franchise think its leagues above the Rangers.

Please deliver this series Rangers

Old
05-13-2012, 03:05 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
We are. Team had numerous reasons to fold after the game 1 loss to the Flyers with the loss of Kovalchuk. But they came back, shelled Bryzgalov in the third, who played very well that game, and took the momentum for the rest of the series away. The insertion of Larsson's 15 mins a game was a godsend and took down the minutes of the Zidlicky, Salvador and Greene. Now Deboer has 3 pairs he can trust in a variety of situations, to go along with 4 lines he rolls regardless of situation. This is the deepest devil team in years and we may even see Josefson return.
Philadelphia looked horrible in the last series. I guess beating the Pens was their cup, props to the Devils for making quick work of them. I'm just not impressed with your defense at all. Zidlicky and Larsson are playing very well but as a whole your defense is slow, and Kreider and Hagelin will cause them fits. I think it's going to be a great series with a lot of close games but the Rangers are the better team

Old
05-13-2012, 03:06 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Had numerous reasons to fold after game 1? What playoff team in the 2nd round of the playoffs would ever even consider folding for any reason after game 1??? Just a really weak statement, to be honest.

And I'm glad you like how deep your team is. Cause they'll be even deeper after we bury them...

Old
05-13-2012, 03:06 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Debbies fans are the worst, franchise think its leagues above the Rangers.

Please deliver this series Rangers
You think they're bad? Head on over to the Islanders board; notice some of the avatars they're using.

"Enemy of my enemy is my friend!"

There's only one real answer when two divisional rivals play together:

'em

Both!

Old
05-13-2012, 03:08 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Philadelphia looked horrible in the last series. I guess beating the Pens was their cup, props to the Devils for making quick work of them. I'm just not impressed with your defense at all. Zidlicky and Larsson are playing very well but as a whole your defense is slow, and Kreider and Hagelin will cause them fits. I think it's going to be a great series with a lot of close games but the Rangers are the better team
Salvador and Volchenkov are the only 2 with less than ideal foot speed. Fayne and Greene are mobile and have been playing stellar thus far. So if you want to exploit a defenseman on the outside, it will have to be Volchenkov.

Old
05-13-2012, 03:10 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Flyers are also a relatively slower team than the Rangers...they are more skilled, but i think our forwards are much faster. Hagelin and Kreider will give the Devils defenseman fits with their forechecking pressure. Key is to take Brodeurs puck handling out of the equation. I crap on Uncle Daddy a lot, but he's probably the best puck handling goalie in the history of the game....definitely the best ive ever seen.

Marty always gives us problems with his puck handling. I'm hoping our 2 speedsters could give him second thoughts. Btw, Mike Smith is still around and he's another who could give us headaches with his puck handling. Did you see him go for the empty net?
Quote:
Could this become a run & gun series that could open up for us if the Devils' defense corps make mistakes in their coverage? That would be a relief, and our Fab Four (McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, and Del Zotto) are much more mobile to initiate the attack with good breakout passing and pinching ability.
I wouldn't say run and gun, but definitely some more odd man rushes and more quality chances than we have been seeing lately.

Old
05-13-2012, 03:10 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Salvador and Volchenkov are the only 2 with less than ideal foot speed. Fayne and Greene are mobile and have been playing stellar thus far. So if you want to exploit a defenseman on the outside, it will have to be Volchenkov.
How bout we just exploit them all? Yeah, I like that plan better...

Old
05-13-2012, 03:13 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
You got a peek at Tort's playbook? Lol.

Our D is more mobile and can move the puck more quickly, and more responsibly/smarter decisions. This could offset their forecheck.
Kind of... too much time on my hands seeing how the Rangers set up from the 8th Avenue end or TV screen + chess references

With the way this series is setting up, I don't merely want the Rangers to grind the Devils to the golf course, I expect them to DRILL through them and blaze a trail to the Stanley Cup Final. "Getting Fired Up Like This (for the ECF)... Isn't This Great!!!"

Old
05-13-2012, 03:17 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Had numerous reasons to fold after game 1? What playoff team in the 2nd round of the playoffs would ever even consider folding for any reason after game 1??? Just a really weak statement, to be honest.

And I'm glad you like how deep your team is. Cause they'll be even deeper after we bury them...
Philly was heavily favored. Devils were banged up and lethargic surviving the panther series. Then they lose Kovalchuk who they leaned on so heavily (25 mins per game in the regular season) on special teams and regular strength. They could have easily mailed it in. But they actually played their best game of the playoffs without Kovalchuk in a hostile location.

Old
05-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Zil

Quote:
Philly was heavily favored. Devils were banged up and lethargic surviving the panther series. Then they lose Kovalchuk who they leaned on so heavily (25 mins per game in the regular season) on special teams and regular strength. They could have easily mailed it in. But they actually played their best game of the playoffs without Kovalchuk in a hostile location.
The Flyers went all season without playing a lick of defense or having much in the way of goaltending. There's a reason the Rangers went 6-0 against them this season.

Old
05-13-2012, 03:35 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Kind of... too much time on my hands seeing how the Rangers set up from the 8th Avenue end or TV screen + chess references

With the way this series is setting up, I don't merely want the Rangers to grind the Devils to the golf course, I expect them to DRILL through them and blaze a trail to the Stanley Cup Final. "Getting Fired Up Like This (for the ECF)... Isn't This Great!!!"
It is absolutely Great!!! Gotta admit,... I did not look forward to playing Ottawa, and especially the Caps. But now,... I'm just licking my chops to send Marty a fond farewell into retirement. Monday can't come soon enough.

Old
05-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
It is absolutely Great!!! Gotta admit,... I did not look forward to playing Ottawa, and especially the Caps. But now,... I'm just licking my chops to send Marty a fine farewell to retirement. Monday can't come soon enough.
In more bizarre coincidences, this year's Rangers run could have an uncanny similarity to the 2001 NJ Devils' first three rounds... (4-2 against the stubborn Carolina Hurricanes, 4-3 against a dangerous Toronto Maple Leafs team, and 4-1 versus the finesse-minded Penguins in the ECF). The similarity ends with the Devils' demise at the hands of the Colorado Avalanche, who were the #1 seed - AND President's Trophy recipient - in the Stanley Cup Finals. Home-ice advantage still has its intangible benefits in addition to last line change

Old
05-13-2012, 03:51 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
In more bizarre coincidences, this year's Rangers run could have an uncanny similarity to the 2001 NJ Devils' first three rounds... (4-2 against the stubborn Carolina Hurricanes, 4-3 against a dangerous Toronto Maple Leafs team, and 4-1 versus the finesse-minded Penguins in the ECF). The similarity ends with the Devils' demise at the hands of the Colorado Avalanche, who were the #1 seed - AND President's Trophy recipient - in the Stanley Cup Finals. Home-ice advantage still has its intangible benefits in addition to last line change
I dont see how that is a good comparison at all...

Old
05-13-2012, 03:55 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Could have easily mailed it in? After game 1 in the second round? You talk as if it was some game in November. No team would mail it in during the second round. Saying so is ridiculous.

And everyone is banged up after the first round. This is the playoffs. And boo hoo you lost kovalchuk. Who cares? That's what the playoffs are. You did nothing special whatsoever. But keep convincing yourself that they did.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:08 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
I dont see how that is a good comparison at all...
Well the Devils weren't the Trap-tastic team "that we knew and loved" in 2001. In fact they led the league in GF. Mogilny was that year like what Gaborik is this year: a goal scoring machine. The A-Line (Elias-Arnott-Sykora) was fast and creative. Overall, they were a balanced 4 lines deep with a formidable 3 defense pairings. And Larry Robinson coached a relatively more wide open system than was customary of the Devils' organizational philosophy.

It may not be an exact similarity, but the progression of the Devils series has certain parallels with the Rangers' current & projected run: Two LONG series in the Quarters and Semi's, and a relatively short & easy conference finals.

(I really need to stop over-analyzing and get a good night's sleep before Armageddon takes over the Tri-State area for the next 2 weeks... and LESS THAN 48 hours yet again! Sweet Dreams, my fellow Blue Seat -B-tards!!! )

Last edited by Blue Seat Spartan: 05-13-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old
05-13-2012, 04:25 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Well the Devils weren't the Trap-tastic team "that we knew and loved" in 2001. In fact they led the league in GF. Mogilny was that year like what Gaborik is this year: a goal scoring machine. The A-Line (Elias-Arnott-Sykora) was fast and creative. Overall, they were a balanced 4 lines deep with a formidable 3 defense pairings. And Larry Robinson coached a relatively more wide open system than was customary of the Devils' organizational philosophy.

It may not be an exact similarity, but the progression of the Devils series has certain parallels with the Rangers' current & projected run: Two LONG series in the Quarters and Semi's, and a relatively short & easy conference finals.

(I really need to stop over-analyzing and get a good night's sleep before Armageddon takes over the Tri-State area for the next 2 weeks... and LESS THAN 48 hours yet again! Sweet Dreams, my fellow Blue Seat -B-tards!!! )
Sleep, who can sleep? I'm still pumped.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:28 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:

4:30 AM by me and I still can't drag my ass to bed. I'm still so pumped. I was nauseous for days. Like, real ****in nausea. But the character we showed today... So proud of my boys for takin care of business. For now, the nausea is gone. Now we just have to kill two birds with one stone: Break the hearts of these cocky punk ass dev fans and get into the Cup finals all in one swoop.

Can't wait. But alas, I must for 40 somewhat hours. So off to bed I go, though I'll be staring at the ceiling replaying the game in my head with a huge smile on my face for a good chunk of time I wager. Goodnight fellow blue bloods. We're halfway there (and past what I consider to be the two toughest teams we're going to have faced)

Closed Thread