HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECF: Rangers Vs Devils

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2012, 03:29 AM
  #126
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Flyers are also a relatively slower team than the Rangers...they are more skilled, but i think our forwards are much faster. Hagelin and Kreider will give the Devils defenseman fits with their forechecking pressure. Key is to take Brodeurs puck handling out of the equation. I crap on Uncle Daddy a lot, but he's probably the best puck handling goalie in the history of the game....definitely the best ive ever seen.
We rarely agree, but this is spot-on. Well said.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 03:53 AM
  #127
pucksoup
Registered User
 
pucksoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
I made the mistake of visiting the main boards. It's like a schoolyard shoving match. Admittedly, it was really difficult to resist posting childish retorts.

It's almost 5am and I cannot sleep either. Can't wait for Monday! The 8pm start times are going to be a killer.

pucksoup is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 05:53 AM
  #128
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
The Rangers compete and defend. The Flyers did not compete and did not defend. Henrik Lundqvist does not give up cheap goals. The Panthers took Jersey to 7 games with their rotating goalie system. One game it was Jose Theodore and then it was Scott Clemmenson. And then it was Theodore only to see Theodore miss a game with an injury. Then Theodore returned for game 7. The Rangers defense is not the Panthers D which missed Jason Garrison for a handful of games. It is not the pathetic slop put out there by Philly. No wonder why Philly is salivating over giving Ryan Suter an 8 year contract with the $14M in salary and bonuses in the first year which they can do under the current CBA with the cap being $70M until the CBA expires in September. The Rangers have faced Erik Karlsson,Sergei Gonchar,Chris Phillips,Filip Kube,Jared Cowen,Mike Green,John Carlson,Karl Alzner,Denis Wideman and even Roman Hamrlik in the last 2 series. Craig Anderson and Braden Holtby did not give up many bad goals. Boston lost to the Caps with Holtby in 7 games. So they can't say its the Rangers popgun offense when the Caps defended well and Holtby played well against the Bruins too. Both the Sens and Caps have discussed how well the Rangers defend after they lost their series.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 06:29 AM
  #129
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by smille22 View Post
Devils also have a much better offense than the Capitals or Senators as well. The rangers 2.07 goals a game will not cut it.
No, they dont. Are you even serious with this? The Devs have a MUCH better offense than the previous two teams?

Not a chance.

Cynical TyranT is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 07:22 AM
  #130
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucksoup View Post
I made the mistake of visiting the main boards. It's like a schoolyard shoving match. Admittedly, it was really difficult to resist posting childish retorts.

Haha tell me about it. I'll have a tough time to resist posting during this series.


Rangers in 7 because of their 6 goalie system. LGR

darko is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 07:23 AM
  #131
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,464
vCash: 500
Lots of bad blood. Should be fun. Of all the teams in the East--the two I wanted not to meet here would have been Pittsburgh and New Jersey.

On the Devils--I think they've had a fairly easy ride so far. Some of it has to do with their own play--some has to do with the opposition. You play who you play. I don't think either Florida or Philadelphia were that impressive on defense and in goal and the Devils exploited those weaknesses. Lundqvist isn't Theodore, Clemmensen or Bryzgalov. Rangers have 3 shutdown defensemen and that should be enough to give both Parise and Kovalchuk fits. To me it looks like another grind it out affair. I see the Devils crashing our net as much as possible. Guys like Clarkson and big forwards like Ponikarovsky, Zubrus etc. Still think we're better in goal and on defense and our forward speed--Hagelin, Kreider, Gaborik could back off New Jersey's D or make them pay. Rangers had two tougher series because both Ottawa and Washington came really prepared to defend their own ends of the ice.

Devils dress Boulton or Janssen--could be a bloodbath--both on the ice and in the stands.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 07:23 AM
  #132
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Flyers are also a relatively slower team than the Rangers...they are more skilled, but i think our forwards are much faster. Hagelin and Kreider will give the Devils defenseman fits with their forechecking pressure. Key is to take Brodeurs puck handling out of the equation. I crap on Uncle Daddy a lot, but he's probably the best puck handling goalie in the history of the game....definitely the best ive ever seen.

Agree with bolded part 100%.

darko is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 07:42 AM
  #133
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Key is to take Brodeurs puck handling out of the equation. I crap on Uncle Daddy a lot, but he's probably the best puck handling goalie in the history of the game....definitely the best ive ever seen.
Came here to post this. During the regular season against the Devils the Rangers had a tough time getting their forecheck going against the Devils because Fatso would step out of the net, and get the puck right to the Dmen. Torts is going to need to adjust his game a little bit here, or the Rangers are going to have to make Marty think twice about playing the puck.

Should be a great series.

Rangers in 6

LGR

silverfish is online now  
Old
05-13-2012, 07:44 AM
  #134
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
i wanted the panthers to win....just so njd would be out in the first round (kovalchuck jinx since he never made it past the first round) lol...o well...but i thought they would take the panthers easy...instead it took 7 games (panthers were probably the weakest team in the playoffs when the playoffs start)...i think philly did not have stamina and edurance to maintain the emotion levels they showed in the pitts series....once that series ended they were beat and no goalie to really back them up...which gave the devils the advantage and they took advantage of that...i expect the rangers to approach the devils the same way they approached sens and caps....itll be a difficult challenge, but they need to find a way get 4 wins, just as they have done all season...the rangers have gone through 7 games in each of the first 2 rounds and they don't look one bit tired...this coaching staff prides the team on being tough physically and mentally touch from day1 of training camp and they put them through heck to make sure the players on the roster can handle it...man do they look like they have the stamina and endurance to keep going strong....LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!

Maineice11 is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 07:46 AM
  #135
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Agree with bolded part 100%.
I do as well. But Daddy plays with very small margins at times, something like speedsters like Hagelin, Kreider, Gabby and Anisimov might be able to capitalize on. Both Dubinsky and Callahan are great forecheckers too, Mitchell, Rupp, Boyle and Feds are all pretty good as well. It Would be great to capitalize on this early in the series once or twice and I think it will be inhibiting on his otherwise excellent breakout and stick handling abilities....

BBKers is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 07:47 AM
  #136
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Came here to post this. During the regular season against the Devils the Rangers had a tough time getting their forecheck going against the Devils because Fatso would step out of the net, and get the puck right to the Dmen. Torts is going to need to adjust his game a little bit here, or the Rangers are going to have to make Marty think twice about playing the puck.

Should be a great series.

Rangers in 6

LGR
small difference from those games....we added another really fast skater in kreider, that will mean we have at least 2 really fast lines...but you are correct when we dump the puck in it has to go fast enough around so fatso cant get to it or dump it in soft enough so it stays out of the trapezoid

Maineice11 is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 08:07 AM
  #137
MorrisWanchuk
Registered User
 
MorrisWanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Dubi. &. Zucc ?

Do they come in when fit and for who?

MorrisWanchuk is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 08:20 AM
  #138
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
Dubi. &. Zucc ?

Do they come in when fit and for who?
That would be tough. Zuc is very nice for the PP. He shows improvement too, but I dont know who to take out...

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 08:42 AM
  #139
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,703
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I pick Rangers in 7. I don't see why some on the main board think it's going to be the Devils winning in a short series. Maybe because the Rangers score so few goals? They don't give up much either. You don't have to score a lot if you don't give up a lot. I think this series will look a lot like the Ottawa and Washington series. Lots of close, low-scoring games. Posts on the main board make it sound like the Rangers are going to be an easy opponent. They won't. It won't be easy or pretty but Tortorella's system has worked so far.

NYR94 is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 08:56 AM
  #140
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Devils are in for a rude awakening. Little do they know that they're not playing ThreeOrMore, Clemmenson, and Universe.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 08:59 AM
  #141
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Devils are a better team than either of the two we just played. Of that I am reasonably certain.

Question is are we a team that plays to the level of our opposition?

Fitzy is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 09:12 AM
  #142
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Devils are a better team than either of the two we just played. Of that I am reasonably certain.

Question is are we a team that plays to the level of our opposition?
really? i feel ottawa was the better team than the caps and devils....caps were difficult because we werent consistent enough in our play....

we play consistently like the game 7 we just played and use our speed we have a great chance of advancing...it wont be easy though...i just dont think they r stronger than the sens or caps

Maineice11 is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 09:22 AM
  #143
sbresistor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
anyone know what the vegas odds to win the cup are as of right now?

wait, I'll look them up

Los Angeles Kings 2-1
New York Rangers 2-1
New Jersey Devils 3-1
Phoenix Coyotes 7-2


so people think Rangers are better than Devils

sbresistor is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 09:24 AM
  #144
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now
 
TonyTheGr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Morris County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Hell in my household has begun..and the gauntlet has been thrown..

A bet has been made between myself and my wife (CJ225)...Loser of the series has to wear the other team's colors (jersey/hat), a picture must be taken, and we must change our avatar to this picture for 24 hours.

Rangers...DO NOT LET ME DOWN!!!

TonyTheGr8 is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 09:26 AM
  #145
scoopscj
Registered User
 
scoopscj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Joy-See
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of the Rangers. They have the best goalie in the game, our goalie should be called Mr. Softie lately and the Rangers are a defensive swarm to the puck shot blocking machine.

I think the Devils can pull it off if Mr. Softie plays well enough. If it goes less than 7 I'd be surprised.

The one thing the Devils have going for them is the additions of Zidlicky and Zajac who have made them so much better. I'll agree with some previous posters that Rangers D is better, Goalie is much better but our O is better. Devils are pretty stellar at 5 on 5 play so staying out of the box is key.

Rangers need to dump the puck in away from Marty to have a chance at some good opportunities. Meanwhile the Devils need to move the puck and get some deflections because they aren't going to get many good opportunities vs your goalie.

Should be an interesting, heart stopping, tums eating, liver killing, stress inducing grudge fest.

May the best team win and bring a Cup to the Tri State area.


Scoops

scoopscj is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 09:26 AM
  #146
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,625
vCash: 500
This is going to be a tough, hard-fought series. But Brodeur is going to have to outplay Lundqvist for the Devils to win, and I'm not so sure Marty can do that. The Rangers are accustomed to playing against stingy defense and goaltending right now, and I think they are well-prepared to face the Devils.

Also, both Clarkson and Kovalchuk have shown in the past that they are capable of losing their composure and may take retaliatory penalties if someone gets under their skin. It wouldn't be a bad thing if some players tried to throw them off their games. Dubi will help in this department if he returns.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 09:31 AM
  #147
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers compete and defend. The Flyers did not compete and did not defend. Henrik Lundqvist does not give up cheap goals. The Panthers took Jersey to 7 games with their rotating goalie system. One game it was Jose Theodore and then it was Scott Clemmenson. And then it was Theodore only to see Theodore miss a game with an injury. Then Theodore returned for game 7. The Rangers defense is not the Panthers D which missed Jason Garrison for a handful of games. It is not the pathetic slop put out there by Philly. No wonder why Philly is salivating over giving Ryan Suter an 8 year contract with the $14M in salary and bonuses in the first year which they can do under the current CBA with the cap being $70M until the CBA expires in September. The Rangers have faced Erik Karlsson,Sergei Gonchar,Chris Phillips,Filip Kube,Jared Cowen,Mike Green,John Carlson,Karl Alzner,Denis Wideman and even Roman Hamrlik in the last 2 series. Craig Anderson and Braden Holtby did not give up many bad goals. Boston lost to the Caps with Holtby in 7 games. So they can't say its the Rangers popgun offense when the Caps defended well and Holtby played well against the Bruins too. Both the Sens and Caps have discussed how well the Rangers defend after they lost their series.
I agree--it's not the Devils fault that Philly's defense was banged up and that team's commitment to offense over defense was very exploitable especially with the loose cannon they have in goal. New Jersey just took advantage of that and knocked them out fairly handily. Florida at least in my eyes was the worst team making the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. Very good year for them but they squeaked in--even though they won their division. Their goaltenders are good but not great--same could be said for their defenders--no particular big names on offense.

I do think the Devils are going to be a very good test for us. They have two elite forwards, more depth than we do--good size and strength on their bottom lines. Their defense tends to bend and not break. Our edge should be in goal and on defensive commitment. Rangers have tons of speed on the wing which hopefully they exploit to keep NJ's defenders on their heels. I expect New Jersey to try and jam our net harder than either the Caps or Sens did. The 40 year old Brodeur IMO is not quite as spry as he used to be. Rangers I expect will get in his face as well.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 09:31 AM
  #148
scoopscj
Registered User
 
scoopscj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Joy-See
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
This is going to be a tough, hard-fought series. But Brodeur is going to have to outplay Lundqvist for the Devils to win, and I'm not so sure Marty can do that. The Rangers are accustomed to playing against stingy defense and goaltending right now, and I think they are well-prepared to face the Devils.

Also, both Clarkson and Kovalchuk have shown in the past that they are capable of losing their composure and may take retaliatory penalties if someone gets under their skin. It wouldn't be a bad thing if some players tried to throw them off their games. Dubi will help in this department if he returns.
They were very disciplined vs Philly and as Rangers fans and the entire hockey world knows,The Flyers are the worst thugs in the game. Rangers are quite nice compared to Philly so I'm not too worried about Clarkson and Kovy getting rattled.

scoopscj is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 09:42 AM
  #149
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
We shut down Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, and Green.

We can shut down Kovalchuk, Parise, and Elias.

Let's go Rangers!

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 09:46 AM
  #150
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopscj View Post
They were very disciplined vs Philly and as Rangers fans and the entire hockey world knows,The Flyers are the worst thugs in the game. Rangers are quite nice compared to Philly so I'm not too worried about Clarkson and Kovy getting rattled.
The Rangers are an entirely different animal than the Flyers. The Rangers-Devils rivalry was a lot more intense than Flyers-Devils this season. I wouldn't describe a team that got into a line brawl 3 seconds into the game as "nice." Clarkson threw a flying elbow at Dubi and took 19 penalty minutes in one game alone against the Rangers this season.

The Flyers don't really have the toughness that they used to. Rinaldo runs around like a little punk but no one cares about him. The Flyers spent a lot of their energy against the Penguins in the first round and couldn't get it up against the Devils. The Rangers won't have that problem as this is the biggest rival they faced so far.

OverTheCap is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.